Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in June 2006 #6

Hey Nickers,

i think the problem is reflux, and i have tried zantac and milanta plus infacol and a few other wind remedies and nothing seems to work, i remember IK saying a few weeks ago that a friend of hers baby had an allergy to her milk. I have mentioned this to a few people and they dont think that its possible but i think the problem is something like that.

I think with tresillian there really wasnt enough people to help. i found myself sitting there one night with lachlan not being settled and i couldnt get him to go to sleep or feed and there was no one around to help me, the first couple of days were good but he seem to get more and more unsettled toward the end. I really think that its a feeding issue but i cant seem to get any help from anyone.

Does anyone know how long it takes for babies to grow out of reflux or colic? i think he has both and all anyone says is "he will grow out of it"

yeah and if he is still gaining weight they'll say there is nothing wrong! But they are not the ones who have to try and cope with a screaming baby!
    How long did u give the Zantec a go for? Cause i found it took about 2 weeks b4 i think it was helping Nixon.
    You could try taking him to a chiro or Oesteopath? Again it can take 6-8 times before he may noticably be any better. Its hard but it's one of those things that i think if they get, no one thing will cure it but some things may help.
    The main thing is the pain, if he is very unsettled, does he spew alot? Things like always propping him up on an angle might help him rather then flat on his back. Nixon is still on an angle in bed and druing the day he is either in his ricker on propped on his boomerang pillow. and instead of tummy time on the floor, tummy time on your/dh chest.
    hang in there, you are doing a great job and it sounds like you have been very patient and trying to get to the bottom of the problem. Ive been told it can last until they start solids or it can last until they are upright ie walking. But if you can get the pain under control and he still spews but is happy about it than you can live with that

For the past 2 hours I've been encouraging a panicky Wade to poos in the potty. Until today he's been doing it in his nappy every day at this time. He does wees in the potty ok but I'm sick of putting a clean nappy on him for nap time then him doing poos in it. Every 5 mins or so he does a dance and kinda runs for the potty, sits down, feels it coming, panics, holds it back until the pushing feeling goes away then goes back to playing... over and over again! I'm using all the tricks, bribery included, but at the end of the day I know it's best just to leave him alone and he'll just accept that the potty will be the best place for it. DH and I decided that we don't need the expense of more than one nappy (overnight) a day with Wade. This phase won't take long I know but it's frustrating!!!! I'm not showing my frustration to Wade though... can't wait until it's done and I can get on with the day!

ETA: meanwhile I've got all your questionairre answers to read LOL

Hi everyone,
    Kells
    I just read your article in Take Five Magazine. I was reading and saying to myself oh it sounds like our new June buddy, oh wait a minute it is our new june buddy, hehehe. How cute are your kids!!!
    Went for a walk today on my new treadmill. I love it, with three litle ones at home I find it pretty difficult to get out, this way I can put them down for their nap or quiet time and go for a walk. All in the comfort of my own home.
    Donna Good to see you back. Have you tried short bursts of feeding. I mean feed for 5 mins sit up and wind, lie back down feed for a further 5 mins do the same and repeat through out the feed. It can be tedious but I found it helpful with Makayla, who was a colicy baby, it stoped her from being spewy. Usually they say it can last up to three months, I found that to be true with Makayla. I'm not a big fan of Control crying in such young babies, I prefer to cuddle and pat when they are this little. Parenting is trial and error, what works for one won't neccessarily work for you all you can really do is give everything a good go and see what works. Your second and subsequent babies are alot easier, lol.
    I also find a nice warm shower (Not bath)makes a world of difference with settling bub down for a sleep. Oh and take care of yourself as babies have an uncanny sence when it comes to smelling stress on their poor, tired and exhausted mummies. And it works them up even more.
    Hey Nick I'll have to do that with the folders in my email stuff, that's a good idea.
    Bath Good luck with the toilet training, it won't be long. Melissa is starting to show an interest now so I will be starting her soon. Summer is such a good time to train.

I just had a call from the pead confirming Nixon's appoint for wed. She followed on to tell me that my referal has run out and for me to get the medicare rebate i need to bring in another referal?? wtf!! Knew nothing about this... i said i didnt know i needed a referal, she said the OB gave the referal on Nixon's birth date and it expires after 3 months. If i were to get another from OB only lasts 3 months but from gp lasts 12months.
    So i rang my gp and to get a referal i have to take him in... luckily i dont have mothers group tomorrow in the day (we are having in it the evening so dh's come and learn massage) Now i have to take Nixon to the docs to write out a referal...
    would have been nice to have more then one days notice on it!

Bath- Oh you must hahve to be so patient teaching wade! Its such a big step for them isn't it! He'll get there,,, eventually!

oh cool now i have to go buy it!!

love those email questionnaires!
    julie - you come back, ya hear?
    nearly wished i had bailed on my friend on saturday night - they forgot to say AGAIN that there would be a not so small door charge...i should know by now to clarify a few times over! we got in free in the end, so wasn't too bad and Bath's review makes me feel a teensy bit better for missing out...
    housewarming bbq at mt eliza was lovely yesterday, what a day for it!
    what a day in melb today - pity i haven't got out of my pj's - oscar's dressed, though!
    Dee - some things you may already have tried have already been mentioned, but have you also tried baby wearing? you probly have at this stage, but if not, find a nice soft cloth sling that keeps lachlan close to your chest - i find the hug a bub gets oscar to sleep immediately, unless he's hungry (then he must be fed!) and i can carry on with heaps of things, including laundry and lunch. a gf of mine recently told me (another gf!) that she had to stop bfing because her boy got weird on the breast after she developed and recovered from mastitis. she's still upset about it, but it happens. it could also be sensory defensiveness, not a well known phenomenon (was just reading about it in a book called 'the vital touch' by a dr sharon heller - it's when a baby (and goes into adulthood, too - i think dp might have a degree of it) gets too much sensory information. just when you think you've exhausted everything, it will be something seemingly obscure but right under your nose (happens with horses too - when you think you know everything, something obvious escapes you until a problem appears!). please keep us posted on the avenues you try and the outcomes, if any - could trigger something in one of our brains or could help someone else oh, and i have heard that for the good intentions, tresillian can solve nothing for many people, but its worth a shot, isnt it?

Hi Junies, hope all are well. Beautiful day here in Brissie today, so have been at the park letting DS run wild. Freya had her needles this morning, didn't go too badly. Glad to see the polio is now in needle form instead of drops, don't have to be so paranoid around her poo!

Donna, you poor thing, it is so hard. DS never had reflux, but he was an "irritable", colicky baby. The worst of it was over at 4 months, and was completely gone by 6 months. He is now an absolute delight as a toddler. Freya now has reflux and this is another challenge, but I have been told that it improves dramatically around 6 mths when they spend more time sitting up and are eating solids. The only way I have survived is by wearing them in a sling, like IK was saying. Any of you other lovely ladies have some suggestions or info, I would love to hear it too!

hi junies

IK - with the hug a bub ( and all slings in general )... when is the baby too old or heavy?? is it still comfortable to carry Oscar?? ANeta is around 6kg now and i wanted to get one but I dont know if i'll get much use out of it

Nickers - they MADE me go to that wedding , I agreed only after DH promised me i could drink and he would look after Aneta hehe ( ended up letting him drink , I prefered looking after Aneta )
    Good to hear your getting back on your feet Had a look on ur website , Nixon has grown so much , such a little cutie

Dee78 - i can only imagine how frustrating this situation must be for you. I read somewhere that the worst of the colic is usually up to 3 months - either way , i hope you find a solution to your problem soon. And if nothing else works and you have to bottle feed , just remember that your doing whats best for your baby - and its really not that bad .... a few years down the track all this will be a distant memory

Bath - Wade sounds so cute ( i know, easy for me to say when im not the one teaching him potty training )... its interesting how we all have issues with our babies , and you seem to have more with your toddler - poor little guy, it cant be easy being a " big kid ". Good luck with the potty issue! -- sending poo vibes your way heh

i think Aneta is going through a growth spurt ... she is crying so much suddenly ( its the whinging cry .. nothing serious ). She's stopped sleeping through the night in the last few days , and has changed her feeds to 100-120ml every 3 hours ( when it used to be 160ml every 4 or 5 hours ) *sigh*... i hope there is nothing wrong and it is just a growth sourt , because i have thrown that stupid fitness ball away , and now i carry her to calm her down - im going to have bigger muscles than popeye after spinach hehe

We got this new monitor , its called " RESPISENSE " its a small device you clip on to the babies nappy and it monitors their breathing ( not movement like the angelcare one)
    As soon as baby stops breathing for 15 seconds , it vibrates to wake baby , if that doesnt work 5 seconds later a VERY loud alarm goes off.
    moral of the story ? im FINALLY sleeping when Aneta sleeps

ETA - hahah Nic you funky chick !.. love the new hair makes me want to go get mine done
    Last edited by enigma; August 14th, 2006 at 02:36 PM.

enigma - oscar is pushing 6kg and i carry him a lot. the HAB has a few different positions, so its more adaptable than more rigid carriers. also because of the design, the HAB keeps the weight more in line with your centre of gravity, so its much more comfy. the best thing is that everyone thinks i'm wearing him inside a tshirt cos it looks like a top!

Hi Everyone,

Well our trip to Perth was great. We stayed at the Mercure and had a lovely time going out and about with the girls. It was the first time my best friend had met the twins so it was super special. And she got to meet them on her birthday! What a present!
    We went shopping (as you do) and I got charlee the most gorgeous outfit from pumpkin Patch (our most favourite shop!!) and Jack a gorgeous little jacket. I only spent 50 and Rowen said "Oh is that all you spent?" Dammmm I knew I should have spent more!!! But I am trying to save so that my poor husband is'nt just working to fund my shopping trips.
    My friend who went up with me is due to have her baby girl in 3 mths and she mentioned on the way home that she has been thinking of having me in the room when bubs is born. we are extremely close and when her first daughter was killed (driveway acc.) we became even closer. I told her I would be honoured to be a part of the special occasion but to discuss it with her DH before she made it a definate. I would love to be in there but at the same time understand that it will be a very emotional birth and that they should just experience it together. Oh well we will see....

Nic, what a bummer (pardon the pun!!hehehe) that you missed the dinner. Next time hey. Hope you are feeling better now.

Tulip, I would love to come to the expo but as I went up this weekend just gone will have to wait and see. I will let you know though later in the week and if I dont make it up maybe we can meet up in the next few weeks??? Anyway I'll be in touch...

Simone, I hope bub is doing ok you poor thing! Keep us informed sweety.

Jess, I'm sorry but i would be kicking DH's arse if he is recieving text messages from another woman. I dont know about everyone else but I think that is pretty disgusting and I would be letting him know it. Plus if it were me I would get hold of his phone and get her number and blast the **** out of her too! No one messes with my man!!!

A huge super hello to everyone else from me and the twins! They are sleeping atm. Jack keeps napping for 15 mins then waking up but I just go back in put the dummy back in and leave him! I'm a meany!!! He is very very sensitive and I think he is already a mummy's boy!! Charlee is very strong willed already and she is as cheeky as they get. I think she will be a terror. My mum has nicknamed them Search and Destroy! Jack is search and Charlee Destroy!! How funny!

Anyway have a lovely arvo ladies

Love Kel
    Last edited by Misskel; August 14th, 2006 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks for the poo vibes Enigma... it worked and he did poos at about the time you posted LOL ....but on the tiles about 1.5 meters away from the potty!!! He seemed quite happy about it though and I wasn't cross, just said "uh oh, how about in the potty? Mummy be happy if you do it in the potty" etc. Now he is in bed for the first time with just undies. Fingers crossed he won't wet the bed, though got a protector sheet on.

Yeah, I have heaps more "issues" with my toddler... Niall is easy. While the potty drama was unfolding Niall was chilling out in the pram outside near the clothes line (I'd been hanging out a load when Wade did his business on the tiles. Then he drifted back off to sleep after having been awake for only 40 mins. He slept well last night in the cradle beside my bed until 4am (from 10pm) afterwhich I brought him into bed with me, fed him and he went back to sleep until 7.15am and woke up a happy little munchkin, smiling for me on the changetable so I've really got nothing to raise about him! Wish there had been a more active BB thread for Wade's age group but as I said, it's been closed, so all I've got are you girls to vent to!

Jaspen: you've GOT to come back, you know that don't you? That can't have been a farewell speech darl. Hope your move goes well... see you SOON!

IK: tell us more about that sensory overload thing... I think I have it! LOL

Nic: Hope your GP bulk bills for kids (ours does luckily). Grrr if you have to pay for just a referral.

Oh and you all might notice a new thread i started about Niall's possible Funnel Chest... I'm not overly concerned BTW. I'll let you know what happens when i see a GP.

Ok... both boys asleep... cuppa time! be back later...

ETA: sorry missed your post Kel... LOL at Search and Destroy!

#karen# Guest

Jaspen - it's sad to see you go, all the best for the move and see you back in here one day.
    Donna - sorry to hear they weren't much help, the hospital you went to don't have any feeding and sleeping clinics attached do they?
    I usually buy taKe 5 but didn't last week, will have to pick up a copy tomorrow.
    Had a shocking day on Sat but will have to write later as Nathan is NOT happy.

Awww... hope you're ok Karen... you don't sound happy (((Hugs))) come back and vent as much as you need to.

Nic: Just checked out the pics! LOL! Nixon's expressions are a hoot!!! Looove the hair, very nice! Wish mine looked that managable... it got so out of control on the weekend it only looked good in pig tails! So that's how I wore mine on Saturday night!

Cant remember who said they live in trackies and a pigtail, but I seriously live in a button up top for feeding and pyjama pants!!! Seriously its all I wear at home. People come over and they think they have woken me up but its what I always wear. If I go to town I change again as soon as I get home!!! And I have a pigtail too!!! No substitute for comfort!!!

Umm... I had pigtails (plural) LOL Hair not quite long enough to look ok in a single pig tail... so had to wear them like Verity! Seriously... I'm getting too old for that kinda thing LOL

wow busy in here today everyone must be on at the same time!

Search & destroy LOL!! thats gold Kel hehehe. Im glad u had a good time shopping and with your friend! i noticed on your pics Jack had a little pp shirt on! they are expensive but soooo cute their clothes i always thought they had better girl stuff but they have such cool stuff for little boys too!

oops Bath on wade's poo on the tiles... atleast he did go though!
    yeah id be the same as Kel with dh Jess. firstly would have really been stuck into him and not allowed it to continue and then if it did would have been finding this chicks number and giving her a call myself! Thats just not on....
    Karen- hope everything is ok, let us know what happened if u get a spare sec.

Enigma- that thing u bought sounds pretty cool, atleast u r getting sleep now! i drove on Fri night and let dh drink and was going to be having a few out on sat night but oh well!
    Garunteed my hair will not look that well maintained every other day! i washed it thismorning so therfore its not all nice and done from the hairdresses like it was. But i love the colour (never had a dark colour put in it b4) and feels healthier with all the endy bits cut off.
    I wonder where "Kells" is, she has to come back in here and tell us how she got in the mag!

oh i meant to post earlier about this
    KLR re: Dribbling, Babies dont have the (whatever it is they need) to swallow their own saliva, therfore it sits in their mouth and dribbles out. nixon has started dribbling too, not a lot just yet. It can also get worse i think when they are teething.
    An i THINK babies can dribble up to about 12 months? (someone with other kids might know more)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast