Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born in June 2006 #7

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy about giving medicine BEFORE a baby shows signs of needing it... but it was only a few years ago that most doctors/nurses etc recommended it and most people blindly follow their advice. I kinda understand that because most medical advice is reliable but sometimes it helps to do a little research and listen to other opinions. I'm generally amazed at how often people fail to stop and think about what they are doing to their bodies and those of their children... it's like if they can't see immediate ill effects they believe nothing is wrong. They don't seem to understand the effect of accumulative doses/consumption/exposure. I think it also comes back to people not receiving good educations when it comes to human biology.... and if they did they just didn't listen in class. For example: I am forever having to remind my DH to drink water. He will complain of cracked lips/headaches/feeling lethargic etc etc and I swear it's largely because he drinks too much coffee (which dehydrates you) and not enough water. It's like he doesn't understand this basic biological fact: humans, like all animals need water. You wouldn't put a pet in a cage without water would you? or with just a bowl of cordial or coffee or beer? You also wouldn't feed a pet half the crap we as humans eat... so why do people think our biological makeup is so different that we can deal with it? Anyhow, getting back to medications: I've read many times that EVERY medicine has a side effect (good or bad) and that the thing to consider is whether the side effects are worse than the condition being treated. So to me makes perfect sense NOT to take medicine until it's needed. Think about the reason a body develops a fever: it's a defence mechanism: bacteria/viruses can't survive in environments above a certain temperature... basic, but a lot of people don't realise this... that's why you see stupid women walking around in the middle of winter in singlet tops and strappy sandals (cooling their bodies down so it's just right for germs to thrive)! With babies a very high temp can lead to convulsions which is why it's good to have some Panadol on hand just-in-case. But as i discovered, sometimes an immunisation-related temp doesn't get that high and if I had given a dose of Panadol the risks would have certainly outweighed the benefits because there simply was no need at all for it. So (lecture over LOL) I share your concern Enigma...and it's not directed at anybody in here and if a baby is in distress it can also be a valid reason for giving it... so I'm not being judgemental.

ok... Niall's calling...

Hi All,

Jack and Charlee have been giving me a hard time at night. Not wanting to sleep in their cot. I like my sleep so last night I put each baby down with a shirt I had worn. It certainly did the trick, they both slept through!!! I did it again for their morning sleep and had to wake them both to get Mia from school!! I suggest anyone who has a fussy bub to try it!

Love Kel

Hi everyone, Well I have survived the week being a single mother of 5, Hats off to women and some men who do this full time, I know I really couldn't cope. DH is home tomorrow yaaaayyyy!! I'll meet him in Moranbah, only two more weeks left of the year, yay. (My sister is sad though, she know I won't be over so often, but hey she know where I live, lol.) Anyway my baby works an average of 14 hour shifts but atleast he still comes home at the end of it and has a good break on his days off. I have missed him soooo much. I need him to bounce off. He used to do fly in and out of Townsville but that was a life time ago when I only had two children and they were still under five and had no pressing engagements of their own, unlike now where I have my two sets of children, the big ones and the little ones I refuse to let my big girls miss out on sports and Guides and any other activities just because I chose to go back and a few more kids, Although at times I feel sorry for the little ones as they get trapest (sp??) across the countryside. But it's OK I have my ten year turnaround plan, in ten years Nathan will be ten and my girls will be 20, 18, 14 and 12 and I figure by then I will be on the home stretch and I will soon be able to relax, lol.
    Panadol like any other drug is safe to use as long as it is used as directed. Bath I did read that post the other day. It would be interesting to know the story behind that case. When did she give the dose, how much did she give How many doses did she give. The likelyhood of such an event happening would be very minimal I imagine, if all guidelines are followed and the dose is administrated according to the dosage panel or medical advice then no problem should arise. However there is always a chance that someone can have a reaction to a drug for what ever reason. I suppose it is pot luck really but rest assured reactions are not very likey and although I don't know the stats on it I haven't come across anyone who was allergic to paracetamol, so I would guess the number would be very low. AS with overdosing, accidents happen and unfortunately I have seen plenty of children overdosed on panadol and other drugs but most, like 99% have been self induced, Haven't seen too many parents overdose their kids though, it does happen, :eek:, poor things.
    Well I've waffled enough.
    Bye Dee

Oh JO I wanted to add, WTF give panadol before an exam with the Dr to make his life easier how absurd.

Very quiet in here girls...where are you?????
    Oscar had his shots yesterday - I never heard him scream so much before, or cry so painfully He has had decreased appetite, just like the pamphlet says...I have engorgement again, on top of my normal oversupply issues! He has been sleeping a lot, though, in the sling, so at least he's settled. I had to leave him behind for the night out with the local ABA group girls because I figured adding a night out in a restaurant on top of a day full of appointments and injections would tip him over the edge of what's reasonable for a little boy! DP was glad to have him asleep in his arms all night, though.
    House is cold, DP is out, so I think it's up to me to get the fire going.
    Catch you later!

Hiya yeah a quiet one in here today... I went out early this morning with Verity for a latte up at Heidelberg, then a bit of shopping... then came home, did some cooking (salmon roulade) and watched the footy (we won after a real nail biter!). Niall's had an unremarkable day ie slept/fed/quiet alertness. He had his checkup yesterday: 5.5 kilos, length 57cm, Head 40cm... so all's well... goes back in a month. I'm taking this stuff called In-Liven which is a probiotic food (there's a BB thread about it) and it seems to have taken away my sugar cravings Hope your house is nice and cosy now IK and that Oscar is feeding well again.... Niall also wasn't as ravenous as he usually was after his injections but all's back to normal now.

Well we haven't been up to much, had DS1's sports day on Thursday and then he had an art show on Friday arvo was nice to see his art work.

Not much happened with Cody this week feeding and smiling and cooing, very cute and it makes me smile and my heart swell with love each time he does it.

DS3 has a swollen nose and black eye after he was playing in daddy's shed yesterday and he pulled the slated part of a metal bed frame down on top of him, my poor baby. We didn't even know about his eye and nose until this morning.

Better go dinners nearly ready.

hugs xoxo

Well it has been a busy few days here, feels like we have stuff on all the time. Yesterday I went to the Pregnancy, Babies and Children's Expo, which was quite interesting, got lots of free sample bits and pieces to try. Luckily for me I left my wallet at home so I didnt go and spend too much money.
    Today DH and I went to Kmart and put some toys on Layby for Tori for christmas as they had 20% off toys, they also had 25% of childrens clothes so we put some of those on Layby for summer as well.
    Was quite a nice day mooching around the shops, DH and I had a coffee, and just spent some time together which was nice. We have beent rying to make a point of spending more 'quality' time together, last night we got a pizza and a bottle of wine and watched a DVD on the couch together, it was nice to just hang out- Tori went to bed nice and early so we got to just concentrate on us.
    We have immunisations on Thursday- hopefully they go smoothly.

Anyway better go, nearly dinner time and I am starving.

Well i have finally had a chance to look @ all your websites and OMG arn't they all just the most beautiful June babies???? You have all done so well with your newest additions and they are all growing so beautifully.. I am sure you are all very proud mummies..

June Mummy - I haven't met you yet but i am one of the original June mums only my baby was born in March.. hehehehe I know what you mean about the pimples on the face as i have had to learn to restrain myself from picking them too! Good luck with the injections coming up for Tarleha, i am sure she will go well..

Littlerigger - How is Ryan going? Sounds like he wasn't even fussed about getting his needles?

Karen - Congrats on Nathan sleeping through the night! It's just an awesome feeling isn't it waking up realising you had slept solidly the whole time? Did you wake up and freak out making sure he was still breathing? hehehe

Jo - I can't believe the doctor said to give the baby panadol before a checkup! Seriously how do they examine their reflexes and eye/head movements? wierd..

Enigma - How is the "little devil" doing today? I hope she's nice and settled again?

Misskel - Jack and Charlee are smart little bubba's.. I only thought that trick would work on animals (i am not meaning to be rude, HONEST) but wow even the human responses react to it as well, that's awesome.. Good on you for figuring out what makes them slumber easier..

7th Heaven - OMG how in the world did you look after 5 kids? You surely are a miracle mum! It is so good to see you have a plan to relax in 10 years time.. I recon with so many kids you'd need too to keep sane.. lol

IK - Sorry to hear Oscar had a bad time with the needles and it's hard hearing them scream but it's all for good health.. It's great to know that we can comfort them at the end of the day and within a few days they would never know it happened..

Bathsheba- Niall is going so well with his growth! 5.5kgs? what a fantastic little feeder he is.. He certainly sounds like a placid little man?

Amanda - Glad to hear everything is going well with Cody.. It's great when no news means good news.. Sorry to hear about your other little boy! omg he could have been so hurt, so great to hear it was only a few bruises.. Is he quite sore now?

Ali - Good on you both for finding/making the time to spend some time together! I think daily lives just get in the way and with a baby/kids you drift even further way to having "our time" so good on you both!

Well Ronan is going well still.. Still sleeps 8/10hrs at night and only wakes up because i wake him in the morning so he's a dam good sleeper! I finally took my express pump back to the hospital on Friday after 5 months of expressing so i am just relieved i don't have to do it anymore!

Anyways gotta run and hopefully i will catch up with you all soon!!!!!!

woah Rac! what a personals marathon u did there ... she's still crying heaps im a bit upset because there were so many people with babies Aneta's age at the baby expo yesterday - and i could never have taken her because she would have been hysterical ...*sigh* i got the infacol drops - how often do you give them to Ronan??

Ali - looks like we were at the same place again probably at the same time ( the baby expo ) hehe... did you take Tori ??

.. here we go again, another day of constant crying .. gotta run girls, sorry i didnt do more personals

Enigma i give him the drops (0.2ml dose) at every feed because the packet said you can give up to 9 times within 24hrs & he only feeds 5/6 times within 24hrs and i just couldn't believe they worked! Give it at least 12/24hrs to start kicking in before you notice any sort of difference but you have to keep them up if you have a really farty, whingy baby because of wind..

Ps: Ronan still farts alot BUT he doesn't cry from any wind related problems anymore like he was when trying to burp him..

Oscar's starting to go back to his normal self now I had a night with the chills again, though - drain, drain, drain! I am going to have a nice hot shower now so that I can unblock my ducts! My body is so achy and my wrists hurt from trying to express any left behind bits...I SOOO don't need to get mastitis!
    Lovely day in Melbourne again!

Rac my little man wasn't in much pain other then when it first happened, he seems fine now he just looks like hes gone a few rounds with his brothers.

I have a question when I was changing Cody's nappy this morning I noticed that his right bum cheek was a bit red so I put some cream on it, but when I was applying it, it felt like it was swollen and it was hard. Then I just changed him again and it's still the same but on the inside of his actual bum there seems to be a small lump. Does anyone have idea what it could be?

Going to hang out washing well be back later.

hugs xoxo

Hmmm, that's odd Amanda... the first thing that sprung to my mind was that it sounds like an insect bite! Have you been outside with him lately? Could an ant have gotten in his nappy? What kind of redness is it? Blotchy, rash-like or evenly spread? Is the lump close to the skin's surface or deeper?

I noticed that it was 24 hours between posts! That's amazing! We must have all been busy or sleeping on Sunday hey? I spent most of the day reading in bed! Niall lay next to me... Darren kept the older ones occupied... I just really wanted a good long stint reading a new book, desperate for a bit of mental stimulation!

Ok... gotta head back into kitchen, just baked a cake, need to do a clean up before taking Wade outside.... lovely day for Monday washing!

Oh! My sister just rang! She's 6 days overdue and desperate to know what she can do to bring labour on! I mentioned as many things I could remember from the BB link but she knew most of them (she's already had 2 children, this is also her third). She's 1 cm dilated and has a very soft cervix so could start at any time. She doesn't know what she's having either so it's a bit exciting! I'm so glad she called because I was starting to wonder and i didn't want to call her and be one of those people who ask "haven't you had that baby yet?!" both her other children went a week overdue so it's really no surprise though. I'm so pleased that she sounds quite positive about having another baby now At the start it was a bit of a crisis because they didn't plan to have a third.

Ok... gotta get cake out of oven... back later... hope to hear from more Junies by then!

Hi Well I'm tired and sick, I have a flu like virus as does dd1 and DH I feel really miserable and my throat is so sore. and a very yucky productive cough. Kept DD1 home today as she has the state wide testing tomorrow and Wednesday and I wanted her well rested since she isn't well. Well my QTAC application is in. I really don't know how I will go It is very competative and I already know that being home with the kids instead of working will be against me as it is a points based quota cut off not first in best dressed.
    Well fingers crossed for me girls, I really want this.

Amanda it sounds like maybe an insect has crawled in there and bitten him
    I hope everyone had a great weekend. I ended up going to the Tieri Ball when we got home on Sat Night it was alot of fun. I wore a very stylish Black halterneck number, it was alot of fun putting on makeup and doing my hair and getting all jazzed up to go out, out. I had a couple of drinks ($5 an drink:eek and boggied the night away with my girlfriends. I had a ball, haha.

Racs- Great to see you again, sounds like Ronan is doing really well. How blissful to have all that sleep at night.

Enigma- What did you think of the Expo? I have to say I was amused by the sales tactics at the Love N Care stand, 4 extremley cute salesmen trying to sell baby goods to a huge crowd of women. I did take Tori with me, she just slept in her pram the whole time we were out, I am really lucky she seems to love being out in the pram and sleeps really well. As for being in the same place at the same time, it wouldnt suprise me, I think we are going to have get organised and have a June Mummy (perth division meet) soon, I think Gabbysmum said she would be down in Sept some time, so maybe when she is in town.

Bath- It must have been lovley to spend the day reading, I really miss reading books, I have been on the same book for the last 6 weeks and I am not even a quater of the way through.

We had a lovely sunday, BIL and FIL came down from the country to visit (seperatly though) which was great, BIL was great with Tori, he loves having cuddles, except her nappy managed to leak on him (ooops). Then we went for a long walk in the sunshine and after that had a nice relaxing lay down on the bed together, it was nice just to spend some quite time as a family- without the distraction of TV, computer, radio etc.

Feeling energiesd this morning, I have just gotten back from the gym, and we are going to take the train into the city and have some lunch. I have been hanging out to go on the train with Tori, not sure why but something I have wanted to do for ages- then I am going to cook a Roast Pork for dinner.

Hi everyone,

I thought everyone had left the site yesterday!!! I was going to post but thought it would have been a waste of time! No one was on to read it!!!

IK I hope you are feeling a bit better and that you have managed to stop the mastitis. I know how icky you feel when it first tries to start up. I've had two lots so far! Ouchies!!

Ali, I knew I should have gone to the expo (cute guys On Love n Care stall!!!) I will be in for a meeting for sure if I can make it. I would love to meet all the Perth girls and their bubs!!!

Rac, so glad to hear that Ronan is sleeping so well. After all he went through he is a very settled little boy. It must be because you are doing such a wonderful job with him!!Good Mummy Rac!!!

Bath, I hope your sister goes into labour soon! Poor thing, I only got to 37 weeks but that was enough!!! How exciting for you, another little baby to love. I cant wait to be an aunt!!!

Dee, sorry to hear that you are not well. I hope everyone is being nice to you and looking after you. I had a look at your website, your kids are too gorgeous!

So funny..... Jack is in his rocker sleeping but he must be dreaming cos he is making little yapping sounds. Like a little pup! How gorgeous!
    The twins are still sleeping with a shirt of mine each. They must have needed security cos now they are sleeping thru. They do stir but I just pop the dummies back in and off to sleep they go again! They both are in bed by 8 and asleep by 8:30. Its so nice to have the evening to myself!!

Rowen is home tomorrow night. I must admit I am dying to see him. We are going to see about buying the block my mum lives on while he is home. Its about 80 acres and although we dont want to actually buy it for about a year we would like to get first option on it. Heres hoping anyway.

Anyway I bought some clothes in 00's on E-Bay so I better go pay for them!

Lotsa love Kel

#karen# Guest

Racs - i didn't worry this time actually probably because he woke before i did, but i remember doing so with my 1st.
    Good luck Dee
    IK - hope u r well
    Amanda - nathan has had nappy rash and the skin was hard, but there wasn't a lump..Have u checked the other threads?
    Baths - mmmm, what sort of cake? I really shouldn't, I have been eating way to many bikkies and cakes lately.
    Ali - wow u sound really organised, hope u enjoyed your day.
    Kel glad rowen will be home soon. u r such an inspiration. 2 of them asleep by 8:30? Way to go! Must check out ebay myself. Nathan has now outgrown all his 000"s, i kept squeezing him in them, but am now packing them away (how sad).

Karen, I just love Pumpkin Patch but I cant justify buying every cute outfit from there as its just way too expensive. With e-bay my kids can wear all the lovely stuff I want them to and it doesnt cost half as much as brand new. I have never bought an outfit that was gross or stained or anything. I recommend that people buy from there and when they outgrow it you can always re-sell it. I sometimes buy from the stores if I keep getting outbidded on an item I really really want!

I am sad cos Charlee is outgrowing 0000's!!! I cant imagine her in 00's! I hope nathan is being a good little man for you!
    Thanks for you kind words too. I was just so sick of battling to get them top sleep by midnight. I just got strong and now they are in a great routine. I am lucky as they do seem to have the same sleep pattern atm. Fingers crossed it doesnt change!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast