Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies born in June 2006 #7

Sorry missed your post Enigma... I agree with Ali: Grain of salt! My mother used to try that occassionally but you must put forward a united front (good practise for when Aneta gets older and tries to "divide and conquer" you both as well!!!) Still, I'd better not b*tch about mother... haven't spoken to her since she left here weeks ago. I reckon she might visit BB to see what I'm up to... wouldn't surprise me in the slightest given that she was one for reading my diaries when I lived at home.

Good idea starting the self settling process now Ali: gets harder as they get older. Niall has done it well since birth... much better than my other two... not sure why. I put him down all the time wide awake and he just drifts off. After I posted my last post I took him into his "big" cot for a change of scene. He watched his mobile for a while, whinged a bit when he got bored then I flipped him over and he fell asleep after I patted his bottom for a few minutes. The best trick for helping them self settle I find is to kinda hang around in the room as they are lying there... find something to do like folding nappies/laundry... make sure they can see you but go about your work like you aren't fussed... even wander in and out of the room. I've found that if I don't focus on them too much (and emit vibes that say "c'mon, settle please!") then my children settle faster. I think it's a gentle approach for both child AND mum... I know it's ok to hold and rock your baby to sleep but it's exhausting and I swear little ones can sense the frustration from the parent. Anyhow, whatever works i guess... I've just found the Put Down and Hang Around method to have worked extremely well for me.

littlerigger Guest

hi girls, I know I've been lurking & I'm sorr but theres a lot going on here. teething, fights with family...... PND even though i have a great bubba.... oh the joys.

got him weighed etc. 6005 grams 60cm long

Bath - I agree, the more you need baby to cooperate the more likely they'll be upset by your desperation and uncooperative with your goal! I have been using the method I use with my horse and that I then used with Odin when we got him as a puppy. The 'method' is actually just a mindset thing, where horses teach you that the more urgent you are about anything, the longer it will take to achieve anything! Say, if you are running late and you are trying to tell your horse that you are in a hurry, guaranteed it will take you about half an hour to load him into the float. SO, I slow down, take deep breaths, imagine my heart rate slowing down (which actually initiates a slower heart rate!) and realise that I'm now working at the horse's/puppy's/baby's pace and no matter what I do, when baby's ready, that's when I'll get things done I figure that if I really need to get something done, I will and anything that doesn't get done wasn't important enough in that particular day. Unless there is something really up with him, I can put him into his bouncer, wrap him warm and flit about the house for a given amount of time before tending to him again. Sometimes the dummy will get him drifting off to sleep so that I get even more time. I'm also not fussed about teaching Oscar self-settling because I don't mind being the one to rock him to sleep, or to feed him to sleep. If he self-settles then that's fine, but it's not my aim to do that ever. But that's just me and my gentle/natural parenting philosophy. It works so well for me. I am the least stressed new mother that I know in my circles (as in, of all the women I've known after having their first child) and Oscar's healthy and happy, so my method is working for me - my baby, my way! I know that many people see that as elevating Oscar's centrality to my world, instead of him fitting into mine. I find that such an odd way to think about it because if you can't feel important in your own family, where can you feel like you're the most important person in the world? Nowhere is where, and the family is the most appropriate place to feel like everything would be dropped for you and the only such place, especially in our society. Nothing's more important than Oscar and my family so he can't cramp my style!
    That reminds me, I have just purchased some swim pants from eBay that go from 3 months to 3 years - just in time for my girls weekend in Daylesford! Actually, I might even get him into them sooner (being that he's such a heifer) and practice at the local pool. And now that I've gone and paid for them I'll have to take him to the Peninsula Hot Springs, too. I know, that's a stretch, but I'm using that as an excuse to get down there and play in the mineral hot pools!

Hi everyone!

Sorry I"ve been MIA for ages - you know the mummy stuff gets in the way!

I've only skimmed the last page - page 6 so sorry no personals.

update on Aleise: MIL bought us a cot on Friday and we assembled it Sunday night, just gotta put it in her room now and see how she goes. She's starting to sleep all night (sorry to those who are jealous) and today she woke at 6am for her bottle then back to bed until 11am! I bet the bad days are around the corner though! Been using the digi camera heaps - will have to email some more pics soon.

Daycare: I've got her down for 2 places. One said its too late to give me any definate answer about starting her in October (2 days only) and the other can only offer me one of my work days. MIL can help as can my mum but I'd rather settle her into daycare. I'm supposed to go back to work end of Nov but want to get a spot for Oct so I can go back then.

Apart from that we've got preparations for her Baptism which is 2nd of September. Meeting up with a mother's coffee group tomorrow (I met via another site)then a hairdressers appt and catching up with my mum.

Nothing much else going on - still awaiting my fat tax cheque. Well take care all and hope everyone is doing well. Great to see that Simone's baby, Anneleise, is home now.

Catch you all soon and hugs all 'round!

Good Morning Hi Neeny... was just thinking of you yesterday... good to hear all's well... that's a darling piccy of Aleise beside your ticker!

Day at home for us today. Going to see if I can deal with some of the grot!

Getting very quiet in here....

Engima thanks for that, yeah it can be trying sometimes with all the boys and testostrone flying around, but I love them all.

Candy sorry to hear that your having problems, I hope that it sorts itself out for you.

Bath I agree that it is getting quite in here, I'm also doing cleaning to day. DS3 was up vomitting all last night so have alot of dirty linen to wash.

Well I thought Cody's bum was getting better and this morning when I was changing his nappy the lump has got a bit bigger so I'm going to the Drs tomrrow to see what they have to say about it.

Better go the boy is calling.

hugs xoxo

Let us know what the doctor says Amanda... sounds odd about it getting bigger when we all thought it was an insect bite... hope it's not infected. Maybe it could be a boil? It would be very painful if it was... does he cry when you touch it?

Niall's sleeping... Wade's having moods swings today... destructive one minute, sweet as pie the next... it's up to me to stay calm though even when he constantly seems to ruin the most precious things!

Hope to see you again in here soon Candy.... please let us know how things are darl.

Bath when I looked at it this morning a boil is what come to mind as well, he has been starting to flinch a little when it is touched just recently and it's still redish as well as a bit purple.
    Hope Wade settles down a bit for you this afternoon.

On another note DS1 has an operation next Friday to get grommets in and his adenoids out and then it's his birthday on Saturday my poor baby. So I will be MIA on Wednesday next week as we have pre-admission and then on Friday and Saturday.

hugs xoxo

#karen# Guest

Candy - lurk all you like and feel free to vent if you need to
    Amanda - all the best for Kailens op
    great to hear from you neeny
    Nathan had injections yesterday, he was asleep at the time, woke up and screamed then ent back to sleep. he had a very unsettled rest of the day, I put him in his bassinet,but every 10 mins or so would cry out then drift back to sleep, it was so sad. He is fine today.

Hi all,

Have had a shocking couple of days where Freya has been crying a lot. She seems to be constantly fidgeting and is very fussy when feeding. I am exhausted but am having trouble sleeping, even when Freya is fast asleep. Hope it's just a stage, and things will be better soon!

Amanda, hope your DS's op goes well - that is a horrible bday present for him, poor lad! Let us know how you go with Cody at the drs.

Candy, you sound thoroughly fed up...you know we don't mind if you let it all out here...thinking of you.

Neeny, glad to hear Aleise is doing so well!

OK, time's up according to my hungry little alarm clock!

Hi Girls - in the public library again (broadband has been ordered, now just waiting for connection!!) so gotta be quick

Jo, hope Freya settles a bit better for you - I have had gastric flu for last 5 days so Flynn has been a bit ratty and I have been worried my milk supply is down, so I know how you feel But last night after a top up of EBM he slept from 8pm to 4am - wish I could get that every night!

Bath, I have found the hand around the room thing works for me too - Flynn's cot is in our room so it works particularly well in the mornings while I am making the bed. IK, I love how well you are doing - you go girl!! In terms of priorities, I think we all have to be comfortable with how we mother our babies and to hell with what others think!

gotta go - my time has run out

ciao bellas

littlerigger Guest

first vent.
    my toxic mothere called today I was trying to give ryan a bottle and he was playing I said to him "eat don't play" mum commented "wouldn't hurt him to loose a bit" (I had just told her his new weight)

Candy - toxic sounds about right, how awful At least you've identified it though, so many people continue to hang around with toxic people and take on their toxicity cos they haven't figured out that they are not good to be around yet! If you can't avoid the toxic person (hmmm, like one's own mother...and I'm no stranger to that) then you can at least remember that they are toxic and relate to them with that understanding in your head. So sorry that you've been having a hard time, too
    Yep, Rory, I've said it before and I'll say it again, WE have to be the mother of our OWN children so if anyone criticises then I would advise use of that old chestnut...'bite me'. Makes me feel better every time I utter it!
    Been to the osteo for Oscar today and he's going great. The maternal nurses have nothing to worry about so they can back off about Oscar's so-called 'tension', he's just strong and uses his neck muscles a lot. He had some tightness lower down his back but that's only cos of how often he uses his neck, not because of any pinching, or alignment issues as they thought. My own appointment with the myotherapist went very well today, too! I'm in the weaning phase - I concluded that I am just blissed out at this stage of my life and my shoulder is responding accordingly at last
    Gotta check on rice cooking, planning a trip to the fire station tonight because I can't help myself...

good morning... typing single handed... where is everyone?! Rainy day here, no outings planned Wade's doing jig saws... not sure what to do with myself... looks like Niall has a small infected scratch on his face, he's been scratching himself a lot lately need to put the scratch mittens back on... he's such a happy boy though! Slept well in the cradle beside my bed again last night... brought him in with me at about 4am.

Are you going to the doctor's today Amanda? Let us know the verdict regarding the lump.

Hope Nic and Rory get back online soon!

*twiddling thumbs* oh well... family finished that cake I made the other day... might make another one for the weekend. Going into the CBD again tomorrow so won't get a chance to do much cooking then... like to have a few yummy things for the weekend. Might even attempt to make some brownies... can't recall whether I've made them before... probably have... anyone else made them from scratch? Ok... better give Niall a feed before i start all that. back later when there's someone to chat to!

ETA: Decided to make baklava instead... turned out well... had a bit for lunch... better stay away from junk for the rest of the day and drink lots of water to compensate! Where IS everyone??? I'm getting a tad paranoid now... have you all gone off and started another secret Junies group without me??? :eek:

Bath - how did you find out about the secret group???
    Quiet here, too - rain is good, I have implemented the wet weather program...stay in bed till Oscar goes to sleep so I can have a shower (oops, fell asleep whilst waiting for Oscar to sleep, try again...that happened 3 times!), do whatever emailing Oscar allows, tidy up lounge room so that I can potentially watch a DVD I've borrowed from a friend...all is well. Oscar is still asleep, which is a shame cos I think his nappy is a bit leaky...but if it doesn't wake him up then he's obviously happy enough living with it for now. His skin is good around his bits and I'll clean him up good and proper to ward off nappy rash when he eventually wakes. God I LOVE sleeping with him! I have had the best sleep since I took to having him on my chest. He went about 4 hours last night before feeding, so that was nice. He nodded off straight away after that feed and was mainly asleep for that nappy change, too. What a cherub. I am SOOOOO in love. DP is home today and thinks I'm quite the sap - I can't stop gushing about my boy. It's a bit pathetic, i'm sure!
    Ok, better go again, I have the opportunity to read the local paper while he's still asleep...

Quiet day in here!

We had a shocking evening yesterday, probably the worst one we have ever had. Tori managed tog et throughly over tired and IMPOSSIBLE to put to sleep. We went to mothers group in the afternoon and we have been asked not to bring our prams in because there is not enough room. However, it seemed to be Nap time for all the bubbas and none of them slept properly because we only had mats on the floor to put them on. As there is only 5 of us in the group we have decided next week to bring in the prams because the time of the group seems to be right in the middle of everyones nap time. By the time we got home Tori was ready for another feed, then we went grocery shopping and she didnt go to sleep in the pram, so by the time we go home from there she had been awake 5 hours, and just cried and cried, wouldnt settle to go to sleep. It took us untill 8 to get her to nod off. Then she woke an hour later and it was 10:30 before she was asleep.......I guess the one good thing was she slept till 5am. However I said to DH I would rather get up once in the night than have her that upset again.

We had needles today, which was a bit trying. I had to admitt I cried.... it was so sad to see her soooooo upset. Although, after a feed she settled down and now she is sleeping soundly.

Best go and get some jobs done while it is quiet.

Just got an sms from Nickers: she misses us all but won't have the internet connection back until next week I told her it's been very quiet and that she hasn't missed much. I also meant to say: Jo: Hope you and Freya had a better day today! Maybe it's just a growth spurt? Has she had hers yet?

Well over the course of the day I've developed a cold Wade also seems to be teething again as his left cheek is bright red and he has a snuffly nose too. We both stayed in doors all day, lucky we didn't have anything planned. I really want to go into the city tomorrow because I've had 2 full days at home now and I'm bored out of my mind!

Hope we hear from more Junies tomorrow! You got me worried IK... *sniffing armpits* I certainly explored more of BB today (looking for the secret group!) LOL

ETA: oh sorry Ali! Let us know how Tori goes with her needle reactions (if any) hope her temp doesn't get too high... I think most of us have found that our little ones sleep well during the following 24hr period.

*Kristee* Guest

Hey everyone,
    I haven't been in lately...sorry guys been busy IYKWIM.
    Well lately Tarleha has been feeding like there is no tomorrow, and not sleeping for as long as she used to. Maybe its a growth spurt. She is exactly 8 weeks today. She is starting to put on the weight which i suppose is good but for me its hard because she looks so fat to me. She has to have her needles on Saturday morning, i think i'm going to be like a lot of you guys and be more upset than she is.
    Me and DP are finally getting married, we have no idea of dates yet. I'm already looking at dresses and stuff.
    any way my DD and i am getting hungry
    talk later girls.

Kristee-Lea - 21
    Tarleha Maye - 29/06/06
    TTC around/after getting married.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast