Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in June 2006 #8

Ceecee - talk with your anathestist - when I had my gallbladder out I expressed enough for the 24hr stay and pumped and dumped the feed after the op (probably the equivalent of two or three feeds I was so full and had skipped a few while prepping and op etc) and then cause the nurse freaked out (she was completely unsure about whether I should be feeding that soon after anaesthetic) the following feed as well but once home the next day was feeding again. The painkillers I was given by the anaethatist were bf friendly. my surgeon told me the anathestist is the key.
    hey Ik - hope the infacol works for you - I think with some bubs just everynow and then they have a bad couple of days with wind etc for no apparent reason and then everything is fine again - mine have both done this everynow and then but otherwise are generally placid bubs who digest, regurgitate and poop with relative ease and only get worked up about things like - not being able to hold their fist in their mouths or "I've been in this spot long enough" - stop what you are doing NOW and come get me.
    Anyway hope little Oscar is feeling better soon.

Bath - sounds like you had a great Father's Day. Interesting point you make about Verity and peer pressure. I must say I find I am most scared about making it through the teenage years without major incident - it just seems to be getting more and more common for young ones to go off the rails so to speak and how do we avoid this is constantly on my mind even though there are a few years yet.

Anyway I hear the call of I've had enough time in my bed please so had better go play.

Hope your week's are off to a good start.

Awww don't worry about the Father's Day thing too much IK... it took my DH a few years to get into it, been a few "write offs" with Mother's Day as well. Also maybe the walk in the sling will help Oscar's wind... Niall doesn't suffer from it usually but when he does it's because I've laid him down too soon after a feed.

CeeCee: Why do you have to have a colonoscopy? For piles or polyps? I've read about them because polyps are sometimes genetic and they are on my mother's side and every time i see blood in my poos I wonder... hopefully it's just the piles of pregnancy. Hope the anaesthetic doesn't interfere too much, let us know how you go and what the ABA say.

Just got back from the newsagency where we collected our free Wiggles DVD using a token from the Herald on the weekend... as soon as we got home Wade took himself to the potty! Good boy, he's almost trained now, just has a nappy overnight.

Niall's napping and I hope Wade has one too... he's just starting to get a bit ratty...

ETA: Jaspen: yep, it's already getting a bit tricky (Peer pressure) and the best advice I can give is to talk about values and moral behaviour from a very early age. Be a good role model.... the "do as I say and not as I do" won't work; your kids will pick up on all your bad habits! (it has embarrassed me on occasions). It's just starting to show results with Verity: she seems to have absorbed alot of what we have discussed about honesty and "doing the right thing" from when she was as young as 3yo. Also it REALLY helps to make sure that the school your children go to focus on morals and ethics. If children see poor behaviour being ignored or that kids "get away" with poor behaviour such as bullying they soon learn to simply "look out for number one" which really isn't a good message. Verity's school is especially onto bullying and negative peer pressure so it's not so much as simply wanting to wear inappropriate clothes etc.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Baths - what a great fathers day! We did the foot print on canvas, you were right, the hands were just too hard! DH LOVED them regardless.

We were all on the Northen Beaches however the drive home took almost 2 hours as Ally decided to scream the whole way.. we stopped three times to console her and nothing worked... She hates the car...as such we have decided that I will fly to Byron for Xmas (not drive as planned). DH will take the dog in the car I will fly with Ally.

Candy - you poor thing! Maybe get him to try some nasal sprays as you need your sleep!

IK: ummm... wonder what is wrong with Oscar, do you think it is wind, it maybe a growth spurt? In the book baby love they write that it is common for babies to go through an unexplained crying period at 6-8 weeks, which they put down to a growth spurt... I know he is just over 8 weeks, but maybe he is just a little late?

I think everyone thinks it is wind when a baby is unsettled, mine rarely burps (but does loads of farts), my sister, nana, and mother all told me "she has wind", but she will never burp for them so they still say "wind"...just the other end! Hopefully the infacol will help, if not, lots of cuddles in the HAB is sure to at least comfort him till he gets over it..

So, we are calling our little girl Ally now, it seems Alexandra is too hard for the family to remember (they call her Alexandria, or Alex). Alex is an 'adult' name, so Ally it is till she grows up and can choose whichever version of her name she wants.

OHHHH... three posts since writing...
    Jaspen - re: anathestist - that is an excellent idea, I will definately do that..thanks for sharing your experience, it sounds like I should be able to BF still...

Baths - I need the operation as I have had somach pains and blood in poo.. Also both my grandfathers and father have bowl cancer, so it is in my family.... darn! If you have blood in your poo, you should have it looked at...it is not too bad an operation and it is better to be safe. Bowel cancer is very treatable if you catch it early.

ABA just wrote back and said "There are only a very few medications that are problematic while breastfeeding, but it is best to check with your health professionals and the drug information line." So I will see what the medications are with my consultation and let you all know how I go.
    Last edited by Cee_Cee99; September 4th, 2006 at 01:16 PM.

whooo just went on a walk along the nw path they FINALLY put in near my house! i chose to go the steeper way today, wow was it steep! only went for 30min cause forgot to take the rain thing for the pram and wasnt too sure if the weather would hold off. it did thankfully.
    have sent out the christening invites now, next is to find a nice outfit.
    oh darn Nixon is grumpy , be back later....

Hi ladies!

Sorry I've been MIA - had the Baptism on Saturday and it went well. I sent photos via the BB group email only got a message that a couple wouldn't go through and Dee78 was one of them. Dee if you want to see them please email me!

Aleise is stirring so I have to go - will catch up on personals soon. Take care.

Ooooh Neeny! gorgeous piccys! Wonderful to be able to put a face to the name! Looking great there darl! What a lovely group photo and Aleise looks so relaxed And what cute cousins she has! Looks like you had a lovely day! Well done!

Nic: yeah, we had a brief show of sun... I'm going to be optimistic and hang out some washing soon... probably should check the BOM site first though... Good on you for tackling that hill LOL a good walk can do wonders

ETA: also we got a humungeous water bill the other day! $120!!!! guess it was all that time I spent under the shower when pregnant trying to relieve varies aches/pains and itches! Am doing our nappies today... using the grey water to rinse them... wish we had a hose to connect it to the garden too!

ETA #2 Ok Melbourne girls the Bureau of Meteorology site shows no rainfall for this afternoon... bit of sun ATM... get that washing out now... could be a wet week ahead!

Back again! Just had to feed Aleise.

Heard on the radio that Steve Irwin (Croc Hunter) died whilst diving off Port Douglas. Seems a Manta Ray barb pierced his chest whilst filming a new documentary. Feel very sorry for his kids Bindi and Bob and of course his wife Teri. I guess they'll have to adjust their Australia Zoo adds too. What a tragedy.

Cee-Cee: you have to have an operation darls? Hope it goes well for you. I actually had to bottlefeed 'cause of medication reasons - no drama if you have to start doing that but hopefully you won't have to.

Bath: Sounds like Verity's school is a good one. Great to hear that Wade is toilet tained - I am sooo looking forward to that!

Simone: Glad to see you in here again. HOpe Anneleise is doing well now.

Well that's all I can think of - got stuff to do so I'd better choof off now.

Take care and Hugs all 'round.

oops - spent a bit of money on my 'walk to the chemist'...and I've just realised that I forgot to get the infacol! Oscar is happily asleep in the HAB and has been since I left at about 2.30pm. Because I was cooking for Fathers Day last night I didn't put him in the sling (bit of a hazard for him!), but it certainly occurred to me that the HAB would settle him. Had DP not been so grumpy and tired I would have asked him to wear Oscar. I think I can avoid the Infacol scenario. I'll try the teaspoon of cooled boiled water should we have another episode.
    Anyway, back to what I bought. A half litre can of Shanghai Red paint...for our front door - cheaper than a new door and DP won't buy a new one anyway; 5 bottles of cheap acrylic paint, paint brushes with palette, wooden shapes for kids' rooms, 2 8x10 art boards and a bank draft for La Leche League subscription for my sister in NZ. DP is so going to sneak into my wallet and cut up my card! However, I also picked up the TaxPack and I hope to get back enough to pay my car rego, riding club membership and put some on the card...
    Lovely photos, Neeny! I'm thinking some kind of party to welcome Oscar to his world might be appropriate.
    Better get going and tidy up my purchases - set them up so that DP doesn't chide me for having gear for hobbies I never properly take up!

LOL, IK, with hobbies you never properly take up! I am like that but conveniently so is DH. I have the book for you - it's called "Refuse to Choose - what do I do when I want to do everything?" by Barbara Sher. She basically says there is nothing wrong with being a "scanner" - someone who is interetsed in a million things, go off on tangents, are afraid if committing to one thing/job/hoby/etc in case they miss out on something better. She just says - go with it, some of the best minds in history have been just like that.

Neeny, re: Steve Irwin, I feel awful for their kids too - I was 9 when my dad died and Bindi is only 8 while her brother is 4. Poor little lambs. Friends of friends had a similar family tragedy - dad was driving car, mum in front seat, 8 y.o girl in back. There was a horse in the middle of the road at night as they rounded a bend - straight thru the windscreen. Poor Leigh (the mum, aged 33) died, little girl seriously injured, dad unhurt (physically, but you can imagine emotionally how he felt). Luckily their other 4y.o girl wasn't in the car, but both little ones still lost their mum.

I just put bubby to bed, and I have a question for you all - Flynn loves his dummy - we give it to him when in the car trying to stave of a feed til we get home, at the doctors when crying would suck, etc, and half the time uses it to go to sleep (the other half I put him to bed when sleeply and he falls asleep without it). As you guys know he isn't (yet) prone to uncontrollable crying fits. I had always thought I would use the dummy when one of those comes up, though. Sort of like the ultimate WMD you use when everything else (bath, massage, singing, brick on head - just kidding!!) doesn't work. But now it has become part of his daily routine, though when just hanging around with me he doesn't use it. Should I try and "break" his habit now, so my WMD plan works when the crying fit appears? Am I being silly, and should I subscribe to the "what keeps baby happy keeps us all happy" mantra my FIL and mum seem to push. I (obviously) don't have any great moral objection to dummies on principle, but I think I am worried about the whole "sleep association", dummies are bad habits and cause problems later school of thought. What do you girls think? I am totally cool if some of you say they are the worst thing in the world - I really want to hear your views so I can make up my own mind. Like I said, dummies seem to be "in" or "out" depending on your theory, but I would like to know what you have all heard/thought/experienced.....

He just woke now, obviously lost his dummy........

Back again - he stoped once I popped it back in, gave a little "eeow eeow eeow" noise while I patted his head (he makes that noise when he sucks his dummy when tired and/or angry) and calmed down. See what I mean - is this going to be a problem? Probably, I know. This week DH is away so if I am going to break his habit this is the time to do it.

ciao bellas - look forward to your views

Just a quick one I'm back online and will catch up soon.

hugs xoxo

Rory: Regarding dummies, from my experience they are a two edged sword (continuing the WMD theme hehe) fantastic and frustrating. Both Verity and Wade used them and were reluctant to give them up.... infact Wade still demands one at bed time. If you don't mind them ruling your life (for good or bad) then stick with them and you will probably bless them as much as blast them! Let me do a list of pros and cons for you (my usual strategy when making tough decisions like this LOL):

PROS:
    * Brilliant in the car especially when you are on a freeway and can't stop or during a long interstate journey and just need to get to where you're going because you're exhausted etc.

* Excellent on Public transport especially when people are giving you foul looks because your baby is throwing a tanty.

* A God send when you've both had big days and need to crash immediately and just can't face hours of pat pat patting on the bottom etc.

* Useful in the supermarket, and other shopping expeditions when you need to stretch them out just a little bit longer.

* Soothing when teething, although you will need to replace them more often because the child will chew them.

* Excellent in raising immunity because they will introduce many germs into the mouth which the body will contstantly fight!

* A good alternative to thumb-sucking because at least you can wean them off it... although i guess a child could then go for the thumb if he was insisting on sucking something... though mine never did.

CONS

* Incredibly infuriating as you find yourself being woken up every time the dummy falls out of the child's mouth at night... this goes on until they can put it in themselves... however then you will still have to get up several times a night to find the lost dummy that gets between the blankets or falls onto the floor. This is a huge issue.

* Replacement cost. Our children only liked NUKs which at $6 each are not cheap and I'd say we've been through 30 at least for the 2 children.

* You will spend a lot of time looking for them. They will turn up in the most unlikely places. We found 2 in the garden recently... pockets of jackets/cargo pants pockets/toy boxes/ underware drawers/ kitchen cupboards/ behind fridges/ laundry baskets/ under lounge chair cushions etc are all likely places.... you will be looking in all these places frequently and when you least have the time to!

* Many people will tell you that they are "not recommended by dentists these days". You will hear conflicting information... you will then hear (like I did recently) that your child has developed a lisp because their front teeth don't close properly.... this was by our dentist.... but good news is that the teeth will improve if he stops using it.

uh oh... gotta go... Wade is having trouble on the potty.... that's a bit to get you started though rory!

ETA: oh BTW Niall has shown no interest what-so-ever in a dummy so far and I think this time around we might have a go at avoiding them. I never judge people for using them though! As I have said above, at times they have been invaluable. I wonder though, if as a compromise, you could save them for, say, car use only... avoid the sleep association thing which seems to be the worst aspect of them.

DUMMIES... Xander used them, Declan wouldnt go NEAR them, spat them out whenever we tried to settle him with them, and xander would run off with them, as we "traded" his for a toy when he turned 18m... Anneliese sucks on hers for a lil while, then spits them out... Its all personal preference, im lucky ours like the cheapie $1.60 ones

Nixon never used one in hospital but then took to them once home. i was very against them b4 having Nixon but it really does help comfort him, i hope to start weaning him off the dummies at around 12months though (maybe only use for bedtime if thats possible)
    Hi Amanda, good to see u back! Hope u are going well with the boys.
    got the wiggles dvd with the sunday paper aswell, i know it will come in handy sometime soon!

Ahhh, dummies! I have 4 and I think that's what I'll stick to at any one time, just so that I can keep a track of them and use my photographic memory to find the colour that's missing! Also, fortunately, he seems happy with the Happy Baby dummies ($2 each!) and we don't have the issues with nipple confusion that we worked through during the first week of dummy use. I just found that whilst Oscar is not a whingey baby, when he's windy he can work himself up - this means that even if the wind has subsided he is still upset...and I can't give him the boob to settle cos it will start the windiness all over again! SOOOO, we caved in and opened the gift Happy Baby dummy I had put away and the sucking action immediately calms him down. If it doesn't it's because there is still some physical discomfort, not just the momentum of the upsetness. I wasn't against them, I just was hoping to avoid them. Anyway, I figured that it is easier to wean a child off the dummy than the thumb (which, when found, becomes hardwired into the brain as a physical reflex...) and not all dummy users have orthodontic problems. DP and BIL have great teeth and both were dummy users. I had overcrowded teeth (and eventually had 8 wisdom teeth extracted, on top of the 4 removed for braces!), but that's not caused by dummies.
    Also, I don't have the problem of having to get up in the middle of the night to replace a dummy for two reasons. THe first being that he sleeps either next to me or on me and the second is that because of the first he doesn't get upset when it falls out - it's enough to get him to sleep and he's not fussed when it comes out.
    Moral of the story is "you gotta do what you gotta do"!
    The book sounds interesting, by the way - might look into getting my hands on a copy and showing to DP to let him know that it's ok to be me!
    Sad news about Steve Irwin Would never have attributed mortality to him, for some reason, so it's a bit of a shock trying to get my head around the fact that there is no life there anymore.
    Going to post some new photos of Oscar that I took today with him amongst the daffodils in the garden - I got his white suit dirty, but how else do you get a cute garden shot when you're on your own and there's a large dog dropping a tennis ball under your feet???

Thanks girls! I especially put Flynn on the cheapie Happy Baby dummies, partly cause of cost (my SIL warned me off the expensive ones) and partly cause the "cherry shape" is rec for BF babies. IK and Nickers, Flynn is like Oscar and Nixon in that he settles almost immediately with dummy, and is a great "sucker". A lactation consultant in hospital actually noticed this in him at 2 days old and actually suggested we use a dummy at some point. Heck, his 13 week ultrasound even shows him sucking his thumb, and we're not talking a "gee I think he has his thumb in his mouth" action, but a full-on, rhythmic sucking action.

Bath, my main concerns was the whole "my dummy is lost" wail in the middle of the night but then I remembered Dr Phil's mantra "is it workin' for ya?" Well, at the moment it's workin'. He is in a cot next to us so popping it in during the night is early enough, and like Nickers and Simone I will try the wean thing when it stops "workin".

Re: Steve Irwin, I was thinking alot about his death last night, about how "unfair" it is. Then I came to the realisation that I now feel life is not about "fair" or "unfair", but rather living every day in a way that you are proud of, and happy with. We never know when our time is up or why good things will happen to bad people, these are things we have no control over. What we do control is us - our own emotions (to some extent) and actions. We can choose to live in a way that is good, regardless of what life throws at us.

enuff musing from me - off to buy a battery-operated lint remover from Coles for my friend mel - the best piece of s##t gadget I have every found. It seriously works and only costs $5.

ciao bellas

Hi girls, as I said last night I'm back.

Cody's lump was an infected cyst, the doctor had to lance it. I had to hold my poor boys left leg and his arms and the doc held his other leg. When he put the needle in the screaming started and heaps of pus (sorry if TMI) came out then he had to put the needle in again as there was more under the first lot. Heaps more pus came out then it seemed to be right, but now it's still seeping a little pus everyday so I may have to take him back again.

DS1's operation was postphoned until the 15th of this month, so at least he got to celebrate his birthday on saturday. We only had family over and I made a spiderman face cake it was soo nice.

Well I better go catch up with it all.

Alica welcome to the group.

Jess and Simone sorry to hear you guys are having family problems.

Ok now I'm really going.

hugs xoxo

A lot of us here have pets/animals, Amanda, so a bit of pus is not TMI!
    Rory - one of my first thoughts was that he died doing what he would have liked to read someone else dying of if they loved wildlife and doing something they loved. I've always said to DP that I wouldn't mind if I died in a horse-riding accident, surfing etc, cos at least I will have been doing what I loved! Not only that, you're so busy enjoying life that death is the last thing you expect...that's how you should live.
    I've got a XXX bikini wax booked for today. Actually, I should have been there now, but I had some trouble getting Oscar out of the door, so it's now in an hour's time.
    I've adjusted my buggy so that it's in a more upright position, with Oscar down low, almost in the same position as when he's in the car seat.
    btw, no screaming last night, just wriggling and possetting and farting. This morning at about 4.30, though, he couldn't get comfy so I eventually asked DP to help me out (as he turned his head up to look at the time...I think he does that more for my benefit than for his, as if I can help it!) and after a stint with his daddy, he came back to me and fell blissfully asleep for another 3 hours. I decided I could care less that DP had to get up at 6.30 for work because I spend all day with Oscar and often that includes comforting him in his windiness, and then to spare DP and his sleep I do it all night, too. Not fair, so I asked him to help out! It's not like I could tell myself "well, he helped on the weekend" cos he wasn't here! And when he was he was too tired to help me!
    Vent over.
    Might have a bigger brekky now that I have about an hour to kill. I can also put Oscar in something other than a jacket over what he wore last night
    I hope he sleeps during the waxing...

Just back from PlayGroup... Wade's watching his Wiggles DVD and Niall is still sleeping (he slept through most of PlayGroup too, gave him a feed there too for the first time).

IK: Red sounds great for a front door, very good Feng Shui. I love painting things too... looking forward to giving some of our furniture another coat of paint when it warms up. Good on you for asking your DP to help out last night... it's the only way they will appreciate the never ending nature of looking after babies. Also there's many a fulltime working mother who still has to tend to crying children in the middle of the night. Admittedly I only ask my DH to help out in the middle of the night if both boys are awake and won't settle... when that happens I have no hesitation. Occassionally I'm feeding Niall in bed beside me and I'll hear Wade crying and I'll shake DH awake. He doesn't mind but gee it seems to take him ages to wake up and get going... I wonder if all men are like that? Another interesting thing my DH said last week on the day he took off work to watch Verity at her athletics day: "Why am I so tired? (at 3pm) All I've done is go to a sports day as a spectator..." My reply: "Well we were also constantly watching Wade to make sure he didn't run off or go through the rubbish bins or wet his pants... it's the constant vigilance that's tiring". Him "Yeah, that's it... the vigilance!" We were also trying to talk to other parents and I don't think guys can deal with this kinda thing very well... he's outta practice anyhow... the whole multi-tasking thing. Anyhow when he rings me up during the day and asks me in that way that seems like he thinks I've got it easy I just say: "Yeah, you know how it is... constant vigilance...."

Dummies: oh yeah I definately agree: "whatever works" however remember that ATM with a very young baby you are largely in control of things like dummy use... refuse to offer it and they might not protest too much... however as they get older babies will want to do things in a way that you might not find easy to work with. For example; say you forgot to pack a dummy for an outing... probably no big deal... though in a few months it will be a biggie and you'll find yourself needing to buy another one because otherwise they won't settle. Just a soft warning... I mean, I agree, they are great... but the degree of dependancy does change as they get older and it's kind of an all-or-nothing thing.

Niall awake... whew! getting sore (too full) on my left side....

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast