Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in June 2006 #8

Adding photos to photo page as I type...
    Sorry, Bath, don't know what the smoke smell might have been - I was on the other side of the world today!
    Allow me to explain...Peninsula Hot Springs. Melbourne girls - it is a MUST DO! I am quite blissed out, despite Oscar having a bit of a crying/screaming session midway through our day. That only took up a fraction of the time that we were there, though, and he was either splashing with us in the water ('us' being my GF and I) or asleep in the pram (he tired himself out with the crying and I think he was just overtired/stimulated because he wasn't hungry and wasn't cold and wasn't wet in the pants!). We even took the scenic route to get there - the Flinders way through the back of Cranbourne and it was just divine. My only gripe is that when Oscar was crying a staff member came out and ushered me into the change rooms, supposedly concerned that Oscar had wind and that I needed a more comfortable place to feed (he wasn't hungry, but I thought the boob might calm him down...no go - and I can actually feed anywhere, don't need a 'comfy' chair anymore), so there I was propped up (she'd put my feet up!) and she took Oscar from me to try to quiet him (ha! didn't work!), gave him back and left me in an echoey room, not even comfortable. Shortly after she left I got up, got him a bit quieter and then went outside again. He calmed down enough to doze off, but after a couple of attempts I decided he wasn't asleep enough to put down so I waited a bit more. Once I was convinced he was asleep I put him in and went to join GF in the hot pools. That lasted about 5 minutes before he woke up again (not asleep enough to ignore the dummy falling from his mouth!). Got him back to sleep quickly enough the next time and he stayed asleep for about 2 hours, so we enjoyed the rest of the pools (including the COLD plunge pool!), a late lunch (scrumptious) and I fed him after I had polished off a latte and my share of the cake. Pretty good going for Oscar's first aqua activity. He seemed to quite enjoy the water, so he should be fine for the Daylesford weekend in two weekends' time. ANyway, I didn't appreciate being shepherded away and TOLD my son is colicky. Had I not already been conscious that other patrons may be annoyed at a crying baby I would have had words, but I was a bit confused myself as to how to settle my boy, being that it's not often at all that he works himself up like that (last time being his shots, really). Talking to some patrons later, they didn't even mind, they felt sorry for me! They were all asking how old he was etc. I suppose there would have been some people who thought he was a spoilt child, but they can bite me. Also, because he sits up quite straight and fully supports his own head, they probably assumed that he was older than he really is. I mean, I couldn't have hoped for a better day out and first time in water for a 2 and a half month old! And the nerve of the staff member trying to tell me I was tense and needed to relax...I was doing fine before she came and took me away!
    They're starting works on a family area and when that's opened they won't allow children under 5 in that area. That's fine, I can understand that, because it's close to the private pools area, but meantime, without a no-child policy or child-friendly area, they can deal with it. Anyway, there was another baby crying later on, so I wasn't alone. My GF was trying to help, too, so there was no need for staff to make a mountain out of a molehill.
    HOWEVER, I am still blissed out by the water therapy and my skin feels great. I wore a very vintage swimsuit, too, so I felt great in my old/new figure with my plump baby in his new swimmers.
    So, THAT'S why I was on the other side of the world.
    Congrats, Ali, on the kilos!
    Heaven - nice work on the nappies! I'm going to have to see about making me some, too! But they won't work out nearly as great as yours cos I haven't sewn much in the last 8 years...
    Racs - they are some VERY cute photos!
    Identity and being a mummy - I can understand women needing something else. For myself, though, I don't think this will be an issue. I have always avoided defining myself by what I do and have more defined myself by what I am and taking those qualities that I enjoy about myself into whatever I do. I do this because I see friends and others who define themselves by their degrees, houses, friends, jobs, cars etc and to me, that's not enough and if that other thing becomes unstable, what of their identities? I can take WHO I am wherever I want. I"ve never had a career, so have been unable to define myself by that, never had a fab car (I did think my old Falcon was fab, cos she could tow my horse and when I lost it I did miss my horsey freedom and still do), never been close to even qualifying for a home loan, my friends complement me but don't define me etc. Being a mummy is kind of an extension of my nurturing bent - I've nurtured horses, dogs and now a little person. I think I've done myself a favour in being multi-faceted in my non-work life, like brigade, horse riding, riding club, music etc. They are all things that I can continue being involved with whilst raising Oscar and, indeed, he is easily integrated into that life. I think that because of all of this I'm in no danger of being painted into a corner. I wasn't always so active. It changed after I heard a song by my favourite local songwriter, Tiffany Eckhardt, where she sings about not waiting till it's too late to let your loved ones know you love them ("Let it Rain"). The line that, in hindsight, changed my life when one day I sang it, realised what I was singing and couldn't finish the line cos I was crying was this: "and it makes me wonder why I've filled up my life so there's no room for people in it". I had friends and my horsey life, but I felt that I had wrapped myself too much in the horse world and that there were other things I wanted to do, and to hang out with my non-horsey friends. That's when I got back in touch with my GF's family, after drifting away from them for nearly a year, and got back into music, joined the fire brigade and started to actually live a bit fuller
    If I never went back to work I wouldn't care cos I still make a contribution to my world in my own little (free!) way. Actually, I'll email you all a little inspirational tip I received this week - it resonated with me strongly.
    It was a bit of a shift to make in my head to be dependant on DP when I went on (unpaid) maternity leave, but I got over it and it's part of life, I suppose. I'm more flexible than I thought I was! That said, one day I will work in a career, and I look forward to that. DP can't wait to be a stay at home dad, but he'll take over when the kids are out of toddlerhood.
    A bit like you, Bath, we know we can be a happy family without having the 'must haves' - we're still breathing without a flat screen TV, without a less than 10 year old car, without aircon, without designer duds, without 'nice holidays' etc. Like the Jack Johnson song, 'we got everything we need and baby, everything we need is enough'.
    I'm going to stop typing now cos I think the waters I took today have made me all sentimental and waterlogged!

Hey all june mummies...

Today has been tiring, got no sleep last night (ok, i lie, i got like 3 hours...) so knackered, but promised myself i had to get all my washing done as its meant to be raining this weekend, and i was soooo nice today (24*C!!) Had to take declan to gp at the childrens hospital, he had a rash on his neck which spread over his whole body by lunchtime. I swore it was german measles, but dr reckons its eczema... Who knows?? I would rather it be the latter, but i dont hink its eczema, iv never seen it spread like it did on my poor lil man...

I cant put Anneliese in her cot just yet, Declan still doesnt want to go in a bed, and i really dont want to push him. Anneliese is still small enough to fit in her cradle, so im going to leave it as long as i can. What makes it harder is my 3yo and 17mo have to share a room... I can just see them never getting too sleep... Grrrrr...

Hi Girls, going to bed very shortly since I've been up since very early this morning. Well it is still raining here, boohoo...Makayla's Birthday party is at the Lions Park tomorrow afternoon and I very much doubt it will be dry enough, I have 18 children coming not counting my own to play in the totally revempt and newly reopened park. I can move the party to the youth Centre But it limits What we can play, unfortunately as I was going for a very relaxed play date kinda party with a couple of party fav's like pass the parcal and pin the tail. I didn't even do a Pinata this year (Very slack mummy) It will be good anyway.

I usually make the cakes too but being the slack mother I am I ordered on instead. I had to laugh though as I ordered her cake from our Bakery here in town and I wanted the cake to say Happy Birthday Makayla, but he said no he couldn't do that, I said "Sorry" he said "no we are practicing Jehova Witnesses and it is against our religion and I would be"... now get this "Morally corrupt to do that. I can put Birthday Makayla or just Makayla if you like but not Happy Birthday". I was astounded. Now I'm sorry and I really don't want to offend anyone here but I have had quite enough of this from Jehova witnesses in town, of which our Dr in town is one and will not take my blood to check my thyroid function as I believe it has a lot to do with my weight issues, (Sisters are both skinny, mother is now skinny after starting on Thyriod drugs, I have symptoms.) I just wanted it tested. oh and still charged me for the consultation. Who are these people that they feel it is their God given right to bible bash me in my everyday life. I am a good person, I don't drink and Drive, I don't do drugs or abuse my children and I am a sometimes practicing Anglican Girl (We only have a Babtist Church and A Catholic Church in town, open once a fortnight) but I certainly do not inflict my chosen religion and beliefs on others. It's a Birthday cake for Goodness sake.
    Now my above statement is in no way meant to insult anyone in here, I am just venting at the fact that I live in a very very small town with no choices but to get what I'm given and it's not fair. Vent over.

Big hugs and hello to everyone and thank you for the praises for my Nappies.
    Good to see you back Rory
    Hi Racs, photos are gorgeous as are yours Ik
    Ali congratulations on the weigh loss, You go girl.
    Yummy yummy Baths, can I have some, lol
    Careers well as you all know I have applied through QTAC to do Teaching (Grad Dip) next year at QUT. I really don't think I will get in though because the competition is so high for external places. I really haven't worked much in the last few years so I won't have too many points and my GPA although okay was not great and they required a 97 last year and mine is only a 94. But I really want this. I love Nursing, but with five children and a shift working hubby it's just not practical and Teaching has always been a very favourable second in my book. I think that motherhood does define you as a person because you really find out and face your weaknesses as a person as well as your strengths although we as mother's tend to hon in on our weaknesses and let them take us down all too often. Working is an outlet for me. I get to play with the grown ups and get paid for it. But I also love being home with my lot and am glad the I don't have to work.
    My DH is a high income earner and we pretty much have all the mods and cons that go with the salary, and I have to say I like it. I like our sorta finacial freedom, I love that we go on expensive fun filled family holidays and that $1000 doesn't really mean alot to us (we have lived on the other side of it and survived) but I would give it all up to live in the city. To give our kids better access to education and sporting choices. Me doing Teaching is a way to get that dream. Great child friendly hours. Michael can get a Town job or open his own Electrical Business, Ooohhh and I could be his Sexy sultry secretary. LOL. Well I'm waffling, better go to bed.
    Night Girls
    Dee

Good Morning girls ... hahaha Dee (Heaven) you crack me up! Really enjoyed reading your last post... I'm not offended at all by the Jehovas views; if they didn't interfere with what you needed (ie just a simple "Happy Birthday" on a cake and a little blood taken) it would be funny, just reading it I mean LOL Sounds absolutely crazy! something out of a comedy... some columnist could get a lot of mileage out of it all (once again not meaning to offend anybody of that faith). I consider myself a Christian, pure and simple, don't adhere to any particular organised religion... would send my kids to any Christian school if it was good and be happy with the religious instruction provided... anything from Catholicism to Quakerism is ok with me as long as it's essentially Christian and not Fundamental (extremist)... although even the Jewish faith has a lot that I agree with...anyhow I've gone off on a tangent... Hope your party goes well and the rain holds off so you can take them all outside to let off a bit of the sugar rush! And fingers crossed that you gain entry into your course... are you doing Secondary or Primary education? I still haven't made up my mind which one I'm going to do... I've had experience with Early Years Learning so that would be easier but I can imagine working with older children being very interesting too.

Well DH and DD are at Little Athletics ATM so I'm at home with the boys just like any other day of the week but as soon as they get home I'm outta here quick as a flash! I think I might go up to Savers (Huge Op Shop) and look for treasure

Wade needs potty assistance... back later...

Dee. LOL!!! My DH's family are Jehovah's Witnesses and it cracked both me and DH up. That is one of the maddest things I've heard. How illogical - I will sell you the cake, and thereby aid-and-abet and gain financial profit from your morrally corrupt shin-dig, but I will not write happy birthday! I'm real sure his God saw the distinction in that!!

(As Dee said - this is not to diss anyone's religion - but people should leave others to their own beliefs. And I don't think your baker-man was, cause like I said, he was happy to take your money....)

Sexy sultry secreatry - I like that!!

Poor Simone - hope your lil- man gets better. Mine has a manky eye (which appears to be clearing with eye drops) and that is worrying enough!!

IK, your post made me think of a musing I had the other day on the way back from mothers' group. Mothers contribute so much to the world - even our little mum's group who had just spent the morning eating cake and talking - we are the ones who glue society together. We are the ones who organise kinder fetes, sew name labels onto clothes, set up social events for our DPs and DHs (we all know single/divorced men have less connected lives), buy our MILs mothers day pressies, stay home when kids are sick. And that is whether we stay at home or go out of the home to work, but the ones who stay home get to do more of that sort of stuff.

Part of me would love to stay at home forever but the other is itching to get back into it. I had lunch in the city yesterday with 2 lawyer friends in a lawyer cafe (just near the barristers chambers) abd sat waiting for them reading the Fin Review while BF. It felt really good to (sort of) be in both worlds. Hopefully working from home one day a week, then building up to more steady parttime work will do that....

Nickers, you are doing so well to last as long as you have - you should be proud! I am going really well with BF but every day I thank my lucky stars it has been so easy for me and Flynn, and I totally know that next time could be different for me. Your perseverance is a real inspiration

Ali, 2.6kg is amazing - how many points are you on to have managed that!! I hope you were'nt being silly and starving yourself I really do want to get back into losing weight - I am so sick of not being able to fit into my old pants (and we're talking a realisic size 14 here girls, nothing silly!) DH is away next week working in country victoria with a mate so I am going to make a real effort to turn over a new leaf while he is gone.

Nickers I tried emailing you but your hotmail account seems to be down. PM doesn't work for me either, for some reason.

gotta go - DH has me on lounge-room painting duty while he stains the skirting boards

ciao bellas

rory u can email me at [email protected]
    sorry was gonna write but Nixon is calling. be back later

*Kristee* Guest

Hey all June Mummies,

Nickers: Thanks for PMing me about your dress, i have sent you a reply back now.
    Tarleha has always been advanced for her age since birth! Her Peaditricion was soooo amazed at how advanced she was at 6 weeks!!! Tarleha has rolled but absolutely hates it so doesn't do it much.
    I'm sure Nixon will pick up and be crawling before you know it.

Ali25: It wasn't easy planning the wedding so quickly, but i thought if i got it out of the way i could relax a little bit.
    You are lucky that your DH was able to have the day off my DF refuses too.
    Congratulations on loosing 2.6kg in a week!!! Got any secrets?? I am averaging 1 kilo a week.
    How exciting and sad that Tori had her first sleep in her big cot. I can't wait till i can put Tarleha in hers but we have to wait for it to arrive as we have ordered it from QLD.

Simone: Sorry you had to take Declan to the Doctors. My DD had a rash to but it didn't spread as quickly and i took her to our GP and he said it's normal for some kids.

7thHeaven How did Makayla's Birthday party go? Was it still raining? You aren't a slack mother there is only so much you can do.
    That is sooo silly and funny at the same time that they can't put "Happy Birthday Makayla" on it. Yeah i think some people can take their religion to far. Feel free to vent i don't think the people in here will judge you on how you percieve other religions especially if they are bible bashing you with their religion. Personally i am a Christian but don't act like that is how everyone should behave and have that religion. I mean i broke the so called rules....i had sex before marriage OOPPS.

Us: Well DD is deciding that it is never sleep time it is alway play time. So we have had many discussions about this!! She is feeding more now so thats good.
    I am still copping crap from a lot of people about the wedding, i just have had enough i feel like punching them out at times.
    I think half their problem is the age gap betwenn me and DF and the other half maybe jealousy as i'm happy and they aren't...i dunno.
    I'm am still wondering if i should BD when originally planned or to wait till after the wedding...well i want to loose fat from #1 before i get married so i spose if i fall no-one will know they would just think i haven't got rid of all baby fat from #1.....what do you girls think????
    Any way enough venting from me.

Kristee-Lea - 21
    Tarleha Maye - 29/06/06
    Tying the knot 7th April (Easter Saturday)

Rory- No need to worry about me starving myself I have been eating between 26-32 points a day, I think that I am just making better food choices now that I am making myself accountable for what I am eating by writing it down. I guess it is one good thing about doing ww while bf, you can still eat a fairly decent amount of food- you just need to be sensible about what you are eating.

Bath- It is a tough choice to make between teaching primary/ secondary. I am trained to teach years 1-7, but could go up to grade 10 if I chose. For the last few years I have taught junior primary (1-3) but starting to feel the need to branch out and try a different age group maybe a year 4 or 5 class. Eventually I would like to become a literacy specialist working with Aboriginal students to get through year 11 and 12 and into further education, there is a program here run in some high schools called Follow the Dream, set up for this specific purpose.

Dee- Good luck with the party today, I hope the rain holds off and it is a lovely day. I cant believe the baker, like the others said happy to take your money for a birthday cake but not prepared to write happy birthday on it. I dont have a problem with any religion that anyone wants to follow but believe that it should not be thrust upon others, especially when they hold positions of power such as a Dr.

IK- Your day at the hot springs soudns divine, except for the silly woman who thought that you didn't know best for your own child. Glad to hear that Oscar enjoyed the water for the most- part. I cant wait to take Tori for her first swimming experience.

As for me, feeling like a bit of a sad sack today- can't quite put my finger on it. I think I am just having one of those days where I feel forgotten, just a mummy. My friends seem to think that because I have a baby now I am not interested in doing things on the weekend, so I guess I am feeling a little housebound- DH has gone to catch up with a friend so it feels like just another day of the week for me. Anyway Ill get over it, I might go outside and enjoy the sunshine for a little while.

Hi girls,
    Thought I'd pop on quick and tell you about my day.
    The party although moved indoors to the youth centre was a blast, the kids all seem to have fun. I ended up with 24 kids including mine. We played musical chairs and pass the parcel and musical statues. The cake was gorgeous and really delicious, I'm just downloading some photos now and will pop a few on the site. Stupid me only put 7 candles on the cake and had to be corrected by 16 8 year olds, so silly, took all the photos with only 7 candles, hehehe. We gave all the kids a Helium balloon with their loot bags to take home, It was a hit. My sister and family came over for the party.
    Now we are supposed to be at the schools fundraiser - Bush Dance, but I and the three younger ones are so tired.
    Michael is no longer working in Outbye/ Maintenance (mostly surface) he has shifted to the long wall (all underground), which is good experience to add to the CV, so he now works Days 7am to 7pm and nights 6pm to 6am, which brings him home most days now by half past the hour so I'm getting the kids and I up early (not much earlier for me) to make Michael Breakfast of bacon and eggs - the works and Pancakes for Makayla since it is her Birthday tomorrow aswell. That way we can do their pressies and special breaky over with early so Michael can go to bed.
    Education I have applied for Early Years and second option of Middle years although I think I'm going to change my preference to Middle years. Which up until I submitted my application was my first preference. The Qld system has all changed now You now have three options, Early years (Birth-Gr3) birth to 8yrs, Middle Years (Gr4-9) 9-14 and Senior years (10-12) 15-18. I will do one year Grad Dip and then Hopefully be working and do one year Post Grad Degree (inservice). When I was going to Uni I ended up getting a job as a House Mistress at the Glennie School. I was a House mother to grade 8 and 9 girls, I loved it, it was the best little job, a roof over my head, 3 squares and 2 snacks a day. But I just don't think I really want to teach High School. I prefer Primary.

Hi Girls, You've got to be kidding, No one has checked in here in the past 24 hours, Where are you all? Oohhh I don't have a life, lol. Made some Nappy Covers for some plain AIO I Bought. Daughter loved her pressy and Hubby liked his too, nothing special since he DID just get a week away playing Golf. Kids are all asleep Hubby's on night shift and there is nothing on the telly worth watching. Ho hum, think I'll go surf eBay, hmmm my favourite shop, lol.
    Bye Dee

Howdy all, how was everyone's fathers' day? Mine was good - bought DH 3 pressies (book on woodworking tools, darrell lea chocky bag and a garden plaque that sayd "this is in memory of all the lovely plants killed by my wife" - I am a shocking gardener!) and visited my mum and stepdad for lunch.

7th H - I reckon primary teaching would be so much better than secondery teaching. DH will do a dip ed once kids are grown and he is keen on teaching secondary science/maths (with science and engineering degrees he will be a shoe-in, as very few "maths" teachers in Victoria have actually done maths at a uni level) but I keep trying to convince him to do primary as well. Imagine how good a 6 foot 6 male primary teacher would be for all those little boys with no male role models. But he is not convinced - hopefully a few years home with kids will change his mind.

Ali, you have inspired me! DH is away all next week (leaving tomorrow) so I am going to be a new woman when he comes back. 26 to 32 points is massive when you are used to 20 points. Sorry you are feeling down - I sometimes feel "blah" too - think it goes with the territory!!!

KL, I know it's hard but ignore the bad vibes re: your wedding. DH and I had a terrible time from both our families when we married (nearly 13 years ago now!!) and to this day give every to-be-married couple the same advice - don't listen to what anyone says (including us!) you do it your way!!

better go, even though DH is watching terminator 3 (not my favourite of the series) I had better go spend some quality time with him

ciao bellas

Im here! just checking up but theres not much to check up on!
    Happy Fathers day to all the dads out there.
    DH had a nice day, made him breakky in bed, then he had to go change an xbox game that i got him which was wrong so he took Nixon with him.
    we had a bbq for lunch just us.
    Dee- sounds like Makayla had a lovely bday party, i am still stunned about the wording on the cake though. they must loose a lot of business that way i am sure of it. Sure be what u want, beleive in what u want but do not force others to believe the same as you.... quiet gobsmacked actually.
    I am determined to start my health kick PROPERLY tomorrow. (i plan to go for a walk but weather permitting think its suppose to be crap)

littlerigger Guest

well fathers day here was quiet. Matt has the flu which means no sleep since about tuesday for me his snoring & coughing is worse than him talking in his sleep!!

Dee - I just can't believe the cake people. Its one of my pet hates when people push their beliefs onto others. where I lived in wollongong I regularly had the same ones visiting until I met them at the dooor with my big dog. I had told them so many times I wasn't interested, I was jack of it. Love the idea of the balloons BTW

thats the end of my personals simply because ryan is going psycho

*hugs*

ps new pictures
    Last edited by littlerigger; September 4th, 2006 at 08:56 AM.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Hi all,

Just caught up on all your posts, gee you gals make me laugh.

I've been away for a few days visiting my Nana (with my Mum) - it was wonderful to have another pair of hands to help, Mum lives on an island 10 hours away, so don't get to see her very much. Mum made Alexandra a beautiful patchwork cot cover, it is amazing. I love all the traditonal country stuff! (It took her six months to make).

Alexandra had her shots on Friday, I told the dr that I had been having sharp stabbing pains in my tummy, and had blood in my poo so I need to go and have another colonoscopy - YUCK..Not happy about having no food, no drink for 24 hours (pre-op). We all know how thirsty you get when you breastfeed....I hope this does not impact my supply, will ring the ABA and find out. Also, I wonder if the general anestetic I need to go under will affect my milk? I'm sure lots of breastfeeding women have operations.

Donna - I have emailed you.

ali- congrats on the weight loss - keep going we are all behind you.

Dee - glad the party was a success, despite your (funny) barriers! Our children don't know half of the things we go through to ensure their happiness!!!

Must run, a thousand things to do today...

ETA: Three posts whilst I wrote this essay! Sorry girls...

Gooooood morning girls As you all know (from the questionairre we did) I like Mondays... don't really know why... I just get a good vibe on them and also my "luck" is usually better on a Monday than any other day of the week... I also read that it's the day of the week for Cancerians, probably due to it's association with the Moon (day) and the moon is the planet for Cancerians but I only half believe in all that superstitious nonsense anyhow LOL

IK: Sounds like your day spa experience was largely enjoyable... shame that woman tried to shunt you into a room... she probably didn't have children of her own. Not always the case but help and understanding usually comes from people with children however recently we've received poor treatment from those who have had children and should be more understanding. I've been spending a lot of time lately dwelling on how quickly some people forget the challenges that come with having a small baby. I also received your Email Tips... very true, I do often forget the impact I have on my children... you kinda get caught up with meeting their needs such as meals/clothing etc and because they don't often express their appreciation you can forget that what you are doing is going to shape who they are for the rest of their lives... I've found that once the learning curve of meeting the needs of my children has flattened out a bit (as it has now) I get bored a lot of the time. I have to be careful I don't wish this precious time away. My most precious childhood memories are time spent with my grandparents as opposed to time spent with my parents... and includes simple activites like having afternoon tea with Nana talking about how she made her biccy's and cakes... she gave me the kind of attention my own mother didn't seem capable of. Mum thought I needed and would "appreciate" a whole other set of things like golf lessons, which she paid a lot of money for, but there's no fond memories there!

Rory: I agree, once your DH has had more exposure to younger children through his own and their friends he might decide that teaching primary school children to be quite fulfilling... you certainly have the ability to "make a difference" and shape their attitudes more when they are younger. Also think back to memories of your teachers... are the strongest ones of your primary level ones? I'm not saying that it's a teacher's job to shape personalities but if you can raise self esteems and instill a love of learning with young children it's something that will be appreciated for the rest of their lives. With older children and teenagers it's more (I think) convincing them that they don't have to subscribe to the worst aspects of peer pressure... I know it's a cliche (peer pressure) but I'm seeing it with my daughter and it's mighty powerful and is starting to affect her approach to learning unfortunately. I was happy to be a bit of a black sheep at school... one of the weird ones at high school who used to hang out in the Art Department... so I'm a bit dismayed that my DD is more prone to conform... anyhow, it's all very interesting and challenging and I can't wait to get back into it after I get my Grad Dip.

Father's Day: We had a great day! DH got a bit of brekkie in bed with the newspaper and whilst he was doing that we heard the sound of a steam engine outside and Verity and I opened our front door and could see in the distance a puff of steam and heard more "chug chugging" ... ooooh what's going on??? we thought and I rang MetLink (rail people) but they didn't know so DH got up and surfed the net until he discovered that Hurstbridge (outer NE suburb of Melbourne, in the Hills, virtual country side) were having a Wattle festival and there were going to be steam engine rides! Well we love that kinda thing so we got ready and off we went! It was so much fun and cheap at only $2.50 a ticket for DD, DH and I (boys free) for about a 40 minute round trip on the train in our carriage... the engine was a bit like Harry Potter's big and black circa 1920. Then we went into the festival and had yummy veggie burgers for lunch during which the Wattle fairy came over and said hello to Wade who was very shy... then we saw all these vintage cars whilst listening to local bands play and there was an Breast Feeding Association stall with a baby change station set up inside so that was handy! bought a raffle ticket... had a look at a few other things then Wade started to get tired so decided time to go home.... passed the train again on the way.... then all three kids fell asleep in the car within 5 minutes! I whispered to DH "park the car at the supermarket and I'll do a quick shop" which i did without them waking up!!! Even DH fell asleep and thought i'd only been gone 5 minutes but it had been nearly half an hour! Got home and had the father's Day cake that I made and watched a DVD after the kids went to bed (nicole Kidman's The Hours).

Whew! better go deal with Niall now... hope you all had great weekends... what's the weather going to do today Melbourne girls??? Not good for washing hey?

Cee Cee - defintely give the ABA a call! You may get advice that you cannot breastfeed, but if you express plenty (even if you have to hire a pump for the time before and after the op) then you will be able to go back to bf'ing afterwards. Speak to a counsellor to get a better opinion, though
    Fathers Day - weird. DP had a chainsaw course and was away overnight and didn't get home till about 7. Oscar and I went to Knox and I got two photos enlarged, one for DP and one for my dad. Got home and caught up in some cleaning and didn't get round to calling MIL (was talking to my GF about how I never see her and she's around the corner - my mum laments that she lives in the country and doesn't get to see her favourite boy...MIL is literally up the road, but was sick last week-unbeknownst to me until last night-and DP says she's a busy lady, as if I didn't already know). Cleared the table, candles lit and tried to feed DP but he was between the computer and dinner. Bit of a grrr, but didn't want to make any issues cos I was trying to gauge if he was thinking about his dad - like pulling teeth when I asked him how he was feeling etc. He was put out that Oscar was grumpy (I would be too if I was full of win, my belly stabbing at me and no words to let mummy know what was wrong and to please fix it!), never mind the fact that I have been with Oscar and his discomfort for 3 whole days (hot springs episode, Saturday night, Sunday morning and then last night). Anyway, I got to talk to my dad, who's coming back from the country today. I spoke to my mum afterwards -had to make two phone calls cos Oscar got upset in between and I called my mum when he fell asleep.
    Anyway, I think I'll strap the boy to me and walk to the chemist to get some Infacol. It's worth a try. The poor little monkey has been wriggling all night in his sleep and letting out little farts, between little airy burps and some possetting I just can't think of anything I'm eating that might be doing it to him, or if it's just one of those things. My boobs haven't been overly full, so maybe he's just taking in air from force of habit. Or maybe he's disguising my let down by the way he feeds. He's a trooper, though, he's trying to deal with it. But he doesn't have to be like his daddy and grandmother and be stoic - if it hurts then cry, dammit!
    Anyway, I wish I could have given DP a better Fathers Day, but that would have involved removing the chainsaw course from his life and bringing his dad back, I suppose.
    Well, Oscar still asleep so I'll go to the loo and then see how he's going.

BAth, i know what you mean by the weather, im debating whther or not to do my washing. The weather stuffed up our plans for yesterday, but we still had fun. We were planning on having a picnic in the Botanical Gardens, but it was pouring, so me, DH, our 3 kids, my SIL and BIL and their 2 went for a massive drive. We went from home (Tullamarine) along the Ring Road/Princes FWY to Geelong, then Tourquay, then down to Bells beach, then down the Great Ocean Road to Lorne. It was breathtaking, and the weather made it even more spectacular. We wanted to go to the 12 Apostle, but once we found out it was still 100kms from Lorne, we decided that was enough driving!! On the way back stopped into Geelong to visit some family, then home. Slept well last night, as DH went out with BIL sat night (to Bar20, naughty boys... (strippers)) They had both had abit to drink, and being p-platers, couldnt risk being the slightest bit over... Still had a ball. Got DH a new suit, shirt and tie... That boy costs me a fortune!!

Hello all

IK, there must be something in the air - Flynn was windy ad upset yesterday too. I gave him some infacol, but I'm not sure it made any difference cause his wind seemed to have died down by his next feed and I ended up giving him the infacol "just in case". I felt awful about doing it - silly I know, but I didn't want to medicate him for no reason....
    I checked out your site yesterday - Oscar is just gorgeous!!!

Bath, I am like you - a ancerian who loves mondays - I think because it is a chance to start afresh.

Ceecee, I hope you are ok - colonoscopies are not nice at all!!

Did my first bit of "working from home" - not bad but hard to draft documents when you don't have a printer. Must rectify that soon - off to Harvey Norman to buy a microwave today so will check out printers....

ciao bellas

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast