Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born in June 2006 #9

Thanks heaps Bath.
    hehe well i didnt even get half way through the movie and realised after i had sat there plating my hair that i was not interested in it! (dunno if anyone has seen it but just seemed to be too much like the 1st)

The sad part is i spent $100 a while ago (when i first found out i was pg) on these things called "nipplets" they were like a little suction cup that u used to help draw the nipples out. I used to go to bed every night wearing them (as uncomfortable and as much as it hurt to do so) to try and help them ready for the baby.
    I took them to hospital with me and continued using them until one morning (few days after birth) mum rang me, woke me up, as i answered the room phone i knocked something into the bin. then forgot to check until the bin lady game to collect. I said oh can u check my mobile phone is not in the bin, sure enough it was... thank god i was awake when she come in. anyway one hr later i realised the nipplets must have also fallen in the bin, dh went and asked but apparently the rubbish goes straight to these other big bins and picked up already (not like we would have ever found them like a needle in a haystack) i was so dissapointed that A. i spent $100 on them B. i no onger had anything to help withdraw them to help attachment. C. all that effort to try and help and now they were gone, but nurses re-assured me i wouldn't need them.....but if only i still had them....

Nickers I agree with Bath, it's not your fault you are trying the best you can and you have done well the have been bf for this long, good on you. As for my x-friend no she wasn't joking about the chill pills she was quite serious, one of the reasons I now don't talk to her.

Bath I'm feeling better today, when DH came home I had a cry on his shoulder and he said it would be alright. I will try and find that thread thanks for that.

I also remembered this morning that I had a book called Why Boys are different and how to bring out the best in them by Dr Bonnie Macmillan. so I will read this and try and find some comfort and answers in this.

hugs xoxo

Thanks Amanda, (i wouldnt be talking to that so called friend of yours again either) for some reason i was very emotional last night, i kept crying when i went to bed. i feel fine thismorning but Nixon hasnt refused me yet!

Just thought I'd share this with you all today is the 1st annaversary from when Nixon was conceived!! and would you beleive it i just got what i think are my periods for the first time. pretty ironic huh.
    I bet all your conceivment dates (if u knew when) are coming up soon too!

Oh, poor loves, all of us! Sounds like there have been bad days all round!

Nickers, you are doing an amazing job to still be feeding. I am constantly amazed by the love that mothers have for their children. You are doing so much for him - you only have to look at his amazing growth stats to see that!!

Amanda, "big hug" to you! I can't imagine what it is like with 4 little ones! I really want 3, and to have them close, so UR a real inspiration for me. It's women like you who let me know it's possible - hard, but possible

Candy, mums can be such pains in the A. I read somewhere that mothers say things to their daughters that they wouldn't dare syaing to anyone else. That sucks!!

Neeny, pooing on mum must have been in the air yesterday - Flynn did it do me while I was working from home on the PC. I was sitting there thinking how great it was going and I hear this "drip, drip" on the floor. Out the side of the nappy, down inside of his jeans, over his sock! Yukko!!

Bath, I often think about all the poor babies in the world who aren't as luck as Flynn. I mean, he is loved, kept warn, fed well, has a nice house to live in and isn't in a war-torn country. Tears come to my eyes when I think of all the poor little lambs who aren't so lucky, both in Australia and OS. I see Flynn in the eyes of every sad little World Vision kid....

Body image - Mine is taking a bettering - probably cause I ate KFC for lunch, fish and chips for dinner and white choc cheesecake for dessert on Thursday!!!

ciao bellas

We are going for our first overnight trip tonight, going to stay with FIL in the country and my goodness, there is soooooooooooooooooo much stuff that you need to pack. Gone are the days when we could just throw a few clothes into a backpack and head off, we have clothes for Tori, and spare clothes just in case, bath stuff, portacot &blankets and sheets, play mat etc etc etc, and that is only for one night, cant imagine what it is going to be like when we go away for a week!

I think Tori might be going through a growing spurt, she has started waking up every 4-5 hours in the night for hte last couple of nights for a feed, and I am exhausted- got too used to my long stretches of sleep. Oh well hopefully it is just a phase that she is going through.

Anyway better go, we are going to look at our Pixi Photos today and then we are heading off. I hope everyone is having a better day today!

Ha, ha, Ali!Made me laugh that you 'only' got 4-5 hours at a time last night - Oscar still has only gone 4 and a half at the longest! But I dont' really notice, cos we feed half asleep and he nods off on my chest again, with me patting and kissing him off to nigh nighs again on his warm head. I don't think I'd sleep very well if Oscar slept for more than 4 hours - I'd be waking up hoping he'll feed!
    I'll be packing Oscar up for the weekend next weekend, but won't bother with portacot and sheets (even though the house has portacot facilities) cos he'll be in with me. A couple of blankies for the pram and the car ride (hitching with GF in her mum's car cos she has anchor points and will save me going up on my own), a few outfits and a bunch of jumpsuits (if he spews on the outfits he can spend the rest of the weekend in Wondersuits! They pack easier, too!). Can't wait to go camping with him - bath in the esky, can practice this 'elimination communication' caper and save on nappies, no house to tidy so I can spend the whole day playing with the boy!
    I bought a lovely half crossover top yesterday from Temt and I think I'll use it as a guide for a pattern for more summer tops and singlets. I was in Lincraft as well, but as I wasn't planning on getting fabric I was like a rabbit in headlights again, not being able to think of what fabric I needed or what colour, so I left before I got a headache thinking about it!
    Went out to dinner last night and Oscar was really unsettled as soon as we walked in - for a cosy restaurant it was buzzing with conversations from all corners...and our table (being a bunch of firies) was not quiet! A quick strap on of the HAB, a minute of more crying and he was off in dreamland for the rest of the night. I love my HAB - can't leave home without it!
    So deceptive outside - from inside it looks nice and sunny, but step outside and cop an arctic blast! Happy to stay in and look out, thanks!
    Nickers - you do what you have to do and if you think other mums are being a bit judgmental its cos they dont' have YOUR baby or YOUR nipples! As I always say, 'bite me'. And you wouldn't get any disapproval at an ABA meeting. You do what you have to do to keep breastfeeding. I don't know what the deal is with persuading you off nipple shields especially if they are working for you. Truly, what is with some maternal nurses who give such bad advice??? It sounds like you might benefit from give the ABA hotline a call, just to chat to one of the counsellors about what's been happening. Like I've said, you don't need to be a subscriber to call them. I recommend joining up though and joining your local group - they are so supportive and full of helpful hints and there is NO judgment allowed! I am so glad I just went to my first meeting without thinking about it too much (you know, thinking about fitting in, what kind of people will be there, will I feel comfortable), there are mothers who mother from different perspectives so you oughtn't feel like anyone is condemning you for what you do. Bugger about the nipplets, too! I didn't realise they cost so much, but I suppose they are an American patent and made there too, I think, so that might explain it.
    Gonna try to tidy this house a bit - DP's made a mess by just leaving stuff everywhere and I haven't helped by leaving some laundry unhung by the door!
    Oooh, just seen the direction the wind is blowing...that's gotta be a straight southerly, BRRRRRRR!!!

Cee_Cee99 Guest

hi gals,
    must be something in the air, was feeling a tad down the last few days too... Feel like my body is failing apart, my back really aches from B/F, my shoulder and elbow hurt, my tummy gets these horrible stabbing pains (one of the reasons for my colonoscopy) and my face has such bad ecema (sp?) that it is all red and flaky, I feel so ugly! I can not go back on steroids to fix it as it would hurt B/F... Such a pain..

I have uped my vitamins, hopefully that will help? I know I need to excercise, but the weather has been so crap and the wheel on the pram is broken. We took it to a bcycle repair place today but they told us they could not fix it... ohhhh... sorry for vent... I'm sure it is just a phase.

Nickers - sorry your having such a hard time B/F. It is such a stressful thing I know. My sister used a sheild and B/F both her boys for more than one year (she had almost non-existant nipples). Your beautiful boy is obviously getting enough milk (based on his recent stats), which is the only thing that is important. But I agree with IK, maybe speak to ABA, so you can hear it from an expert... HUGS honey. (PS, it is good to talk about this as I'm sure your not the only one out there)...If you text Tanya tell her we miss her...

That means that there are still a few MIA: Enigma, Donna...

IK - you love your HUB like I love my hammock! Hee hee.. DH and I tried one on the Baby shop and the assistant did not know how to do it and we were all tangled up and DH was like " this is too hard, I will never wear it", so we did not get it. Our house is a tad crazy, we even have 'slip on shoes' to save time so not sure the HAB would work for us... How long can you wear a HUB for anyway?

4-5 hours each night: I wake Ally up for a feed every 4-5 hours as my boobs hurt. If I try to ignore my aching boobs I get less sleep, so it is easier to let her feed then I can go back to sleep in comfort!

Off to the bath.. (first one since I was in labour)..ummm...

Yeah I've just flicked on the heating here too... I think I heard the word "hail" on the weather report last night... doesn't surprise me at all. Just watching the footy on TV again, also just had a bit of a nap on the couch when Wade was napping too... and DH... and Niall...all napping except for Verity who was running around the block I believe! We all went to Little Athletics this morning (this will be every Saturday morning now for the next 6 months)... so we were all a bit tired after that.... except for Verity that is who did a 1500m walking race, a 100m sprint and highjump.

Got some lentils on the boil... not sure what I'm going to make yet, just know that I feel like them... maybe perhaps a curry... Wade loves "spicey" food too especially with papadams. I haven't found Niall to be "funny" about my milk yet, even after eating strong flavours. Apparently it gives the child a preference for strong flavours too when they are on solid food. I made a really garlicy French chicken dish recently and thought it would bother him but it didn't... someone said avoid cabbage... is there anything else? I'm doing the shopping tomorrow and need to plan meals tonight, I've been in a bit of a cooking rut recently though and want to do a few different things and meals I haven't done in a while. With the warmer weather forecast for next week I think I'd like to do some Thai dishes... even a good old Green Chicken Curry would be good. Ooooh cold weather always makes me hungry!

Bugger about those niplets Nic! How's your overall supply? Are you still getting engorged or has it occasionally settled down to the point that you can attach Nixon when they are soft and then feel the let down? It's probably a bit of both like me? I agree with IK, give the ABA hotline a call next time you get upset. They would be so used to women in despair and should be able to make you feel a lot more positve about the huge effort you've put in for your son.... and maybe give you some better advice.

Amanda; yep, I find myself consulting my shelves of parenting books when I reach melt-down... particularly my copy of "How to Behave So that Your Children Will" (or something like that LOL) Honestly some days i really am just as bad as them.

Ok... Wade has just reached the bottle of tabasco sauce that was on the bench and tipped it all over the kitchen floor... I hope he licks his fingers! nah, knowing him he'll probably like it. grrrr.

ETA: Hi CeeCee... posted at the same time... good to see you, have been wondering how you've been getting along.

ETA Again: Oh yeah Nic, Niall was probably conceived on Wade's birthday... we DTD a few days before that day which is when I ovulated.... I thought he was going to be a girl for that reason ie girl sperm live longer so he must have been a very hardy male sperm specimen!

must be something in the air, Ceecee, I feel like crap too. Think it has something to do with going to bed at 10pm, feeding Flynn and 12am, waking at 2.30am to find he has totally wriggled out from under the covers and wide awake, getting back to sleep at 3.20am, waking at 5.30 to feed Flynn, and then again at 7.30 because he wants to play and feed. Last night I wished I was bottlefeeding - then perhaps I could get more than 4 hours sleep at a stretch.....

One thing is for sure - being alone with Flynn for a week has re-invigorated my desire to go back to work!! LOL!! Right now I couldn't imagine anything nicer than having 2 days supply of EBM in the freezer, getting dressed for work and waving goodbye, leaving Flynn with his dad. Bad mother? Who cares! He'll get over it!! Honestly, girls, I don't know how those of you who do this fulltime can handle it - I seriously have so much respect for what you do! Days like this I don't think I am cut out for this mother gig - which is strange cause I am such a good breeder (easy pg, easy birth, easy BF). Does anyone else lie there, listening to bub cry, and think of the endless progression of nappies and feeds that await? And to think - we want 3 kids!! Enuff ranting - I love Flynn to bits and often spend hours just gooing at him and playing, but sometimes the broken sleep gets to me

Rory: Um, yep... it's been 3 years in a row for me now... day in day out... not much difference between weekdays and weekends. You've uncovered the secret that most mothers won't admit to: going to work (no matter what job) is easier than being at home with children. By easier I mean: more mentally stimulating, more supported, more appreciated and less ambiguous... it's the ambiguity of being at home with children that gets to you... you just don't know what's around the corner... is there going to be an accident? Is the child going to sleep? Am I going to be able to do this or that? There's just no way to plan infact a 'good' mum doesn't plan too rigidly everything has to be flexible flexible. It's chaotic....and I don't mean chaos = noise and mess (although you get that too!)... I mean it's a life that you can't really forecast or have a set of solutions for... a lot of the time there is no solution and you just have to wait it out... and that's another thing: patience! OMG you have to be sooooo patient to be a "good" mum. This trait is being bred out of us i think as we more and more expect things to happen instantly at the press of a button. It's the single thing I worry about with DH: his lack of patience with the children... he just doesn't get "child time mode" ie "slowly slowly, whoops a mistake, try again, slowly slooooowly etc" Whereas at work, with most paid jobs it's "quickly quickly, how can we do it more efficiently and faster?" So many children where I worked were so rushed! All the time, it was so sad. Anyhow, DH is home from dropping DD off at a party... better get off here! Back later.

ETA: Rory I don't mean to imply that you're being a bad mum by going back to work It's fantastic that Flynn's dad is able to be at home with him... I'm sure it will all work out fine. Will you get to sleep through at nights? maybe you could express bottles for your DH to give at night... sorry if you have already mentioned that...

Hi again!

Well its a big change from yesterday here in Brisbane - raining, cold and miserable whereas yesterday it was about 24C and nice and sunny! I know we need the rain but I don't like cold weather that goes with it.

Can't be online long as Aleise's next feed is due so she'll start screaming any minute - although mum's here to warm up the bottle if she does!

Oh yeah- bottlefeeding doesn't guarantee your baby sleeps all night - 2 nights ago Aleise woke up at 3am and I made Matt do that shift! Probably though 'cause she didn't have a full bottle at bed time the night before. However most nights she's in the land of nod at least 7 hours straight.

Amanda and Jo: You free to meet up on Friday 15th in the city? I have an appointment at 10am so maybe around 11am if you can? Email me if you are interested: [email protected] oh and of course if there's anyone else in Brisbane who I may have missed here - drop me a line.

Bath: Seaworld is great - its been 12 years since I was there last and a pity I haven't seen the polar bear - who's been moved to Alaska now I think. Gold Coast is only a 45 min drive from here so we could catch up if you do come this way!

Rory: I can't wait to go back to work too darls.. I'm going back end of October even if I can't get daycare for 2 days that I work (in process of trying to finalise it) 'cause our mum's can help out until we get the spot. Besides I miss my financial freedom and family allowance isn't much! Aleise seems fine with the day care at the gym - even though she's there only 1 hour a week - she doesn't mind who picks her up as she's really a "people" baby. Apparently I was like that so she gets it from me!

Nic: Don't feel bad about Nixon's fussing - being a BF baby can't be the reason either 'cause Aleise threw a big tanti at the baptism lunch and it took a good 10 mins to settle her. However I think she may have been overtired. MIL's attempts of settling her by jiggling her up and down didn't help Needless to say I took her back and calmed her down! This is ONE reason why I'm keen to get daycare rather than have her look after Aleise. Not to mention the lectures I'd cop!

Can't think of much else to write - take care all and will post again soon.

Neeny xoxo

Well, it would appear that I typed too soon yesterday...Oscar slept from about 1 to 7.30. NOT GOOD! I woke up to two self-supporting balloons and I had some weird dreams that I wouldn't have had time to have had he fed during the night! His feeds are so erratic lately, so there's no tracking a pattern!
    My mum was down for the weekend again, and I did the impossible. I implored DP to come to my parents with me for dinner last night, implored and implored. Could give no other reason than "I just want you to come with me" and no bargaining or manipulation would have worked, so I used all I had, which was "I realising what it is I'm asking of you, I'm asking you to do it for me first, Oscar second". Well, all were on their best behaviour and my dad asked me today how I did it. I feel so much lighter now after last night. It was becoming untenable to have my mum come down from the country, cook up a big dinner so that we can come over (and I'd rather go there, she cooks great and the house is toasty warm!) and I turn up with just Oscar. It just was feeling so weird doing that and made me feel so off-kilter, like I had done something wrong or like I was choosing. I can't explain it, but I felt whole last night, even though DP would rather not have been there.
    I can understand the perspective of you girls who are itching to get back to work and are struggling to come to terms with the gap between the idea of a 'good' mother and the fact of the mother that you are. The latter is the important one, cos that's the one that your kid gets! Don't worry about anything else. I'm not being facetious, but I find myself being the mother I didn't think I could be to a little person. I'm loving it so much and I've taken to it really much better than I thought I would. I was holding Oscar today and I realised how much he's grown and I hoped that I had savoured the time that has just flown by in the way it should be savoured. And then there was the great morning we had on Thursday - that's got mileage! I'm absolutely flourishing in my new role, it really was time for Oscar to happen to me But I was in a position where I could afford to let go of pre-Oscar aspects of my life, or more appropriately, rework them into my Oscar-life! I dont' have a career yet, never really had great financial circumstances, so it's not like a lot of you girls, who have a lot of that to work through.
    I think I need to get a dinner rolling...or I might get DP to think about it. Oscar is asleep in the HAB and wearing a fluffy white bunny suit, making great sleepy, snuffly noises!

Ooooh! Our team just won a finals game!!!! Thankfully it wasn't a nail biter (we won by 41 points I think) because we had to watch the game whilst meeting the needs of 3 children... kids will play quietly during the half time break but as soon as your team is about to kick a goal they will come out screaming that they need something or another. I tried to get Wade engaged in the game today: "look! can he catch the red ball???" (Wade loves playing catch) ... or "uh oh, look a big fight! naughty men!" LOL

IK: that's great that your DP was able to rise above the angst and go along with you. One of my biggest regrets as a parent was to have spoken badly about relatives infront of Verity (who now thinks she has an excuse to be disrepectful too) so it's good practise for him to role model "tolerance" for Oscar's sake.

Neeny: yep I'll back that up about bottle feeding... after my children self weaned at 9 - 10 months old they went onto formula and still woke up during the night... not just because they were hungry... also because they wanted to play. It's one of those things that doesn't have a solution... there's not just hunger, there's teething, illness, feeling too hot, feeling too cold, hearing strange noises, night-mares, feeling lonely, or as i said just wanting to play... sorry to paint such a gloomy picture but sleep after having a child is never the same again.

Ok... shower time with my little munchkin... btw, posted a piccy of us having another shower together last night... really shows how much he has grown!

Oh, and school holidays (yay!) for 3 weeks Unlike most parents I love school holidays because then I have Verity at home to help... means I don't have to juggle feeding Niall and dealing with Wade at the same time.

Hope we see Enigma in here next week....

Well our first trip away went fairly well, Tori didnt sleep much during the day but slept well at night. Her feeding was really fussy though and I was getting concerned because she was refusing the breast, but AF returned today so that solved that little problem, I was worried that she was wanting to wean but has taken a feed tonight- thank goodness, not quite ready to give up breast feeding yet.

Rory- I dont believe that there is anythign wrong with having a desire to return to work. You are in a really fortunate position like me where our DH's are luckily enough to beable to spend some time doing the stay at home dad thing. Not many dad's get the opportunity to stay at home with there children while the mum's go out to work.

Bath- I have to agree with you about being a SAHM it is the most unpredictable job in the world, I guess for me that is what I miss the most about working (out of the house) is the routine. I think stay at home Mums is the most UNDERVALUED job in the world. Many people that havent experienced it think it is all about coffee with friends, day time soaps and playing with your kids- and while these things may or may not occur that are the not majority of events that make up the lives of SAHM's. I have lots of admiration for people who choose to o it for long stretches of time, because as you have said sometimes it is easier just to go back to a regular out of the hous job!

IK- I am really glad that DP made the effort to go with you to your parents house for dinner- it was nice that he could make the happen for you, and that you felt good about it.

Anyway I am off to vegon the couch, feeling a little tired and out of sorts witht he return of AF, hopefully tomorrow I will feel better!

Ali: is AF heavier than usual? I think you're the 2nd BFing Junie to get her back... no sign of mine... can't recall how long it took last time to return... hope she stays away for a little longer yet. Great to hear your trip went well too

Well hello all, it certainly has been a while on my behalf. Have had a quick flick thru the posts in order to catch up but I think it may take me a couple of posts myself.

Have a quick 10 mins to myself whilst DH has taken the kids to the video shop. So this will be short and sweet!

Have been extremely busy the past coupld of weeks. Went to Perth and back which was great as everybody got to fuss over and have a really good play with Alex. It made me all sad again that we have chosen (albeit for work/money reasons) to move away from them all and that the grandparents/cousins etc are all missing out on time with the kids. But I grew up most of my life without close family in the same country and survived!

The big news here is that as of around a week ago Alex has decided that he doesnt want a bar of my breast. Very sad times, I tried almost everything but as soon as he would get his mouth on my nipple he would pull off. Very stressful for quite a few days there. Tried lactation consultant and spoke to ABA but Alex just didnt want it. So now we are bottle feeding, half EBM and half formula. Am not sure how much longer I will be able to keep the expressing up as he has up to 7 feeds ina 24 hr period and not only is it killing my nipples expressing but it is finding the time to do it. At least he got a good start off me I suppose.

Vital stats as of last week - Weight 7.17kgs and Height 67 cms. He is our little monster! We get so many comments from people on how long he is.

Anyway better start dinner whilst I have half a chance. Will try and hop on later tonight and respond properly to some of the topics!

Gabysmum- Alex is really long isnt he! sorry to hear he doesnt want your boobs anymore, Ive been having some issues to so you are not alone.

The latest in the last 2 days i think Nixon is refusing the nipple sheild. Not every feed just when he doesnt feel like it he wont take it! His first 2 feeds thismorning was in bed and me lying down, so had the sheilds on and he went fine, but the rest of his feeds today nup would not suck with them. so maybe there is half of the problem.
    So Im slowly teaching myself to feed him without them, ive managed to get him on the "bad side" but i dont think i could do it in public, as ive said b4 its not just a matter of popping him on and thats it. So what i think i will be doing is breast feeding without the sheilds if i can at home and just take a bottle if he needs when we are out. Saves us both alot of stress and upsetness.

CeeCee- I am really glad to hear your sister bf for that long with her nipples, its given me a bot of encouragment to keep persisting!

DH went to the footy today, NRL Storm V Parra. He is a sharks fan but was going for Parra (why would u! sorry parra fans!!) I was hoping storm won because that means my team (Mighty Dragons) get to play Manly next week. Im pretty confident we can beat em! so i took myself to Chadstone (melb girls will know it) after dropping him at the train station. I looked for christening outfits in David Jones and Myer but did not like.
    Found a shop yesterday with a nice one but i am tossing up between that (one pc outfit) and one i can get made in Syd which is a 3 pc pants shirt and vest which is adorable.

Ali- Yep it was me who got AF yesterday aswell. so do u think this has an effect on breast refusal? If so this would also make sence why ive had troubles with Nixon.
    I cant tell if its heavier then usually cause its been about 13months since i last had them!
    Kel also got hers a while ago even with bf twins! Speaking of which Kel where are u???

my silly sausage scratched his face thismorning, he made it bleed....his nails just grow so quickly!

littlerigger Guest

Yay to the swannies beating west coast!!! Bath are you a WB fan?

very quick one from me. I found out last night that my horse was put down the week after Ryan was born. No-one consulted me & my mum decided not to tell me "because it would upset me" doesn't she think that finding out in a round about way from my sister months later would upset me more?? so I cried most of the night & when I was asleep I was having nightmares which has lead to me waking with a migraine. And now mum and dad want to come down next weekend but I just don't care. I feel like they don't think about me, why think about them?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast