Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born June 2007 #8

Hi everyone

I have booked a local community room for Diana's 1st birthday party (as our apartment is too small). So exciting. I am going to make some invitations this week. Its going to be a very casual affair - an afternoon tea with a cake and some toys for the kids to play with. Should be fun though.

I handed in an essay for my uni course this evening. Feels so good to have finished it as I have been thinking of little else the past couple of weeks. It's been very... ahem... challenging trying to write and study recently, as Diana is very curious and insists on "helping me out". The other day she managed to delete an entire email with one press of a key (and I couldn't seem to undo the action). Luckily it was a short email and I remembered what I wrote.

Lexismum - I live in Redfern and am up for a meet-up. I will send you an email.

Hi to everyone else.

EXCITING NEWS!!!

Caeleb is walking!!!

Just had to come in and share my wonderful news. I'm so proud of him. He's been standing on his own for a few weeks now, but today, he took a few steps round in a circle, then about ten in a straight line, towards Daddy!

So happy for him!!!

Congrats Celsie what a clever little chap! He will be able to walk to his birthday cake!

Lewis can stand without support sometimes but doesn't take any steps even if he's holding onto something. Even when he's walking along the furniture he only takes a few side steps and then crawls away! Do you think it's worth putting him in a baby walker to teach him to step?

What's everyone else doing for their bub's birthdays? Me and DH are planning on making him a Mickey Mouse cake for his party. Not sure how yet!! I put a really cute bike on layby for him, it's one of those with a handle on the back which comes off when he's old enough to pedal.

Anyway it's good to see a few of us are popping back in here, it got awful quiet!

it does get quiet sometimes, probably too busy chasing after kids....

nate took his first few steps the other day and then crashed with a slap and then laughed. men hey! hes really starting to move now,standing seems to be easy, moving holding furniture way too fast, crawling at 110 km/h, drinking abottle in 1 minute flat(look out bob hawke), opening any draw or cupboard not nailed shut and general body slapping and shaking the stuffing out the cot sides.

i got a new job today i start on friday at Kingston Park Raceway, go-cart track. i will be there as a duty manager for three months before i hopefully advance to events and sales. its what i really want to do but thee is weekend work again so i will miss spending time with the family. but hopefully it will be worth it in the near future where i can make my own hours as required and work less nights and weekends......

ciao
    dragonstorm

Quote Originally Posted by MumofLewis View Post
    Do you think it's worth putting him in a baby walker to teach him to step?
    No, not at all. Caeleb did have a walker, which he's had for about 3 months, but I think the best thing we ever did was purchase him a wooden block trolley. We bought a Chad Valley one from Big W for around $20. He's been running around the house with that for about four weeks now. Took him a while to figure out how to stop it from going so fast (he'd go splat the first few days). When we bought him that, we took the walker away. They actually say that walkers don't help teach them to walk at all, in fact they can hinder walking. We only bought it for the exercise value, nothing more.

Nate - Congratulations on getting the new job!

Oh I almost forgot... he cut his first tooth today too! Top left hand front tooth. What a little over-achiever I have!

in a beautiful beachy community with few people

Hi everyone

Celsie- CONGRATS on Caleb walking and cutting his first tooth!! Such a fun time.

I think Dane is starting to cut tooth number 9!!!

Starfish - good on you for finishing your essay, to you! Must be a bit a of relief for now, til the next one anyway!!

Mumoflewis - I am with Celsie on the walker thing, I was told not to get one at all as it will hinder his walking etc - i still got one! I found it great when he was younger to chuck him in it when I was trying to do something. Dane never figured out how to make it go forward either, only backwards! Now he is not too happy if I put him in it. I ended up getting him a push walker, like th trolley that Celsie talks of, and that was great.

My mum is buying dane his first little big like Mumoflewis is talking bout. They look pretty fun. We also want to get a bike seat so we can take him riding with us.. not that we do much riding, but we could!! I have seen a really good one called Weeride and instead of being on the back of your bike they sit in front of you. but quite pricey..

Congrats on your new job Dragonstorm, sounds like you are heading where you want to be. Dane is like Nate - in to EVERY cupboard, draw etc. I have managed to "dane proof" most of the drawers and cupboards, but not all and Dane doenst always respond to NO! He has taken to putting everything in the drawers and bins that dont belong there! I find the strangest things in places. I found our mushrooms in the pot drawer after I came home with the shopping! I think he put one of his sippy cups in the bin cos its no where to be found! ahhhhh the fun continues!

Well Dane is 12.6kg and 77cm tall.. and is just about running! He can walk so fast when he wants something, like the cat or dog!! I have nearly cleared up his nappy rash, it was soo bad he actually got a couple of blisters and couldnt sit down one day. i used a variety of stuff, Paw paw cream, sudocream, aloe vera plant and also used cornflour instead of baby powder and it seems to have helped. Nearly all gone. I think cos he seems to be teething, he has had alot of bad nappies and i think it all just got to him. Poor little man, never has he had it so bad.

good to see people back in here!

Hi,

Thanks girls I will get one of those pushing truck things tomorrow.

Miss Banana - I saw that bike seat thing too, it looks great. I also was going to get one but realised I can't fit my bike in the car to take it to the park! And there's not really any nice areas to ride around here, we live near a main road too. But we are off to Noosa in a few weeks on hols so I'm going to hire one out up there and see if he likes it.
    Poor Dane's bum! Sounds terrible for him. Lewis has luckily never suffered with nappy rash touch wood.

Dragonstorm - congrats on the new job, how cool will Nate think his Dad is working in a go kart place!!

Lexismum, Starfish, Teepee - let me know if and when you are meeting up, if I'm not working I will try and join you. [email protected]

Hi all

Just a quick one as I'm at work today.

For those who were interested in a meet up - what do you think about going to Lollipops at North Strathfield?? I thought it would be pretty central for all of us. They have a separate toddlers section for kids under 2 and under 12 months is free. Adults are $4.50 each which includes a free drink/coffee or $2.00 on a Friday. For those without cars the closest train station is Nth Strathfield which would be about a 10-15min walk and there are buses on Parramatta Road to just about everywhere.

Let me know what you think.

Hope everyone else is well xx

Oh and Congratulations Caeleb!!!!! Look out Sarah you wont be able to stop him now

I'm jealous girls... I want to meet up with you guys too!!!

We just had a Mothers Group meet at a dodgy play cafe in SA called Snakes & Ladders. We've been there before and the owner was a bit iffy. Today, he was just a PIG!!!
    Firstly, he made me pay $1.50 for Caeleb to be there... WTF? It clearly states that under 12 months is FREE on the door. We bought subway with us, but ordered drinks there, as they mainly only serve fatty fried foods. I was paying for my drink and he said... "You can't eat that here", looking over at my friend who'd already started eating. There was no-one else there. He made us go sit outside, across the road. Who cares? It's not like we hadn't spent any money there. I was waiting for him to tell me that I Caeleb couldn't eat the food I'd brought for his lunch! Effing PIG!!!

Ohh Sarah we'd love to meet up with you and Caeleb too!!! Quick hop on a plane and get your butt over here!!! LOL

Sounds like you had a horrible time at playgroup. What an A'hole!!! Isnt there any where else that you can go??

If I wasn't terrified of flying, I would!!! I'd love to meet you all IRL, especially those gorgeous bubbas!

Hi everyone

Diana has started waving byebye - she did it to a shopkeeper yesterday. It was so cute.

Last night I did a 5 minute stand-up comedy set at a local pub. It was great. DH and Diana were sitting in the front row and at one stage Diana tried to crawl over and climb up on to the stage with me. For the rest of the show, I sat in the front row and most of the other acts commented on Diana sitting up front watching them. She was laughing and clapping and having a great time. Her first comedy outing. Towards the end I breastfed her (still sitting in the front row, watching the show) and she fell asleep. All in all, it was a great night.

Celsie - Eugh - what a horrible play cafe. Hope you never go back there and tell others not to, so they'll have to close down and hopefully something better will open in its place. What was the reason for him charging Caeleb to get in? Surely that's illegal! Take it to A Current Affair or something... That is just crap. And congratulations on Caeleb walking.

Teepee - Lollipops at North Strathfield should be okay for me to get to. I'll send around an email so that we can decide on a date.

Dragonstorm - Congratulations on your new job. Hope it works out really well for you. I am slowly starting to look for jobs too, as I plan on going back to work when Diana turns 1, which is getting ever closer...

Sarah - I am with the others on the walker thing - I heard that they don't help babies to walk, so I agree that the pushing thing is a better idea. Diana is not walking yet, but I am not too worried. They all learn to walk in their own time, and humans were learning to walk long before we invented anything to help us learn, so I am sure that she will get there when she wants to. At the moment she is crawling so fast that its probably not worth it for her to get up on two legs...

Missbanana - poor Dane - hope his nappy rash clears up soon. Sounds nasty.

For Diana's birthday, I am going to make her a frog cake, as she loves frogs (well toy frogs anyway, she's never seen a real one), and am going to invite some of her friends over to play.

Hi to everyone else.

Well done Zofia! That's so brave of you! Congratulations!

Hi

yes Zofia, that's a real achievement, have you done comedy before?
    Very true about humans not needing pushy things to learn to walk, what did the cave men do??!! I'm not at all worried about Lewis not walking, he's only 10.5 months after all. I just thought as he hasn't learnt to take steps yet he might benefit from a walker. But you guys have changed my mind and I am still going for the pushy thing. I didn't end up going yesterday as he was in one of those moods where he would only sleep for 30 mins and then be grumpy all day!

I saw a girl I used to know yesterday who's baby is 4 weeks older than Lewis and she is 6 months pregnant with her next one! As he little boy wakes up to 5 times a night, I think she is in for a good few months of sleep deprivation poor thing!

Just wondering those who aren't breastfeeding, is everyone swapping to cow's milk at 12 months or using a follow on formula?

Just wondering those who aren't breastfeeding, is everyone swapping to cow's milk at 12 months or using a follow on formula?
    Hmm... it's a tricky one. We first said we'd go with cows milk, as we've been told that toddler formula's are unnecessary and have too much sugar in them. Then again, cows milk is natural and not overly processed. But, I think I'll do a little more investigating with my GP before I say either way.

Yes I've read that the follow on is full of sugar and unecessary, but cows milk just seems so heavy. After all it's what calves drink and they're massive!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast