Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Babies Born March 2006 #7

Hey Jen, wow only 20 days to go!!!!!! If we don't talk between now and then best of luck to you all. Oh yeah, and don't forget to let us know or we will will for ever wondering if bubs is here yet or not. Its funny how one day your baby turns into a toddler then the real little person isn't it? I am sure Miss T will be a great big sister.
    Take care

Met with house site supervisor today and he reckons within 4-5 weeks we will be in our house. We sorted out the issues we had and so hopefully now it will be smooth sailing. But only if this silly annoying rain stops!!!! Is anyone else about to float away?????? I hope you are all keeping out of the rain and off the roads. And if thats not possible please stay safe and try to enjoy the long weekend.

Hiya everyone,

i havent posted in ages!!

Kas- The house sounds pretty exciting! I hope everything goes well and the rain doesnt hold up the process too much.

Liz- I read somewhere that Tallon is in his big bed already! That so cool. How did the transition go? Does he like sleeping in there? Also hope the pregnancy is going well and its fantastic that you are still breastfeeding... i thought i read somewhere that bubs can self wean when the mum is prego.. but then maybe i dreamt that.

Jen12- WOW at Lucy feeding herself and holding her own mug... ohhh i wish abby would do the same. Finger food is about she can manage by herself at the moment! Also WOW at her climbing the steps and going down the slide by herself too. Abby has only started walking in the last month and is a HUGE chicken so i doubt that will be happening here any time soon. She had her first outing to the park (to play on things) just the other week.

Mitch- dont stress about Alexa not walking, as i said, abby has just started and she still is very selective about when she will actually get off her butt and do it.

Steph-- OMG at Cailan telling you to shut up! Very funny and norty! How cute!! Abs doesnt talk much... the only words she puts together are "and this" say when building a tower of blocks: "and this" when putting the next block on, and there is also " did it" or "did this", "got that/this".....

So yeah abby is going great. We had some issues with her behavior not long after she turned one- chucking fits, hitting and just being silly and terrible two-ish in general but we have got her sleep under control and she is now a much happier baby. We ended up doing a sort of controlled crying and it worked a treat, with her happily going to bed in her cot without any rocking or anything like that. Its been amazing not to have to stuff around for 2-3 hours to get her to go to sleep and she is behaving soo much better for getting a good nights sleep. Is till cant believe that to put her to bed all we do is tell her she is going to go to bed soon a few times leading up to bed time, we get the dummy and her baby and put her in her cot. she smiles, snuggles down and thats it... OMG it soooo goof.

She is obsessed with 'her baby'... a baby doll that she kisses and cuddles and takes everywhere with her. We forgot it at the shops today and she saw it for sale and OMG it was the saddest thing ever. She bawled her little eyes out... such a sad horrible cry she just wanted "bub bub"

As for teeth, she only has a set of molars and those pointy teeth at the front to go....

Well Tim and I have decided we will have one child...I was going to take up a business degree next month, but decided that the age gap would be too big if i waited another 3 years... so we will start working on that little project after xmas. Slightly hoping for a boy but then i see all abbys little clothes and think how nice it would be to be able to use them again... I dont really care, just want a HAPPY pregnancy and a healthy brother or sister for abby.

Ok, well thats me done... take care everyone and hi to anyone i missed. xxxx em

Hi girls

Kas, I take it the rain is not helping with the house, but I hope you guys are okay and not near any of the flooding.

Em - Abby sounds so cute with her doll. Lucy will grab her dolls and give them a cuddle and a kiss but then promptly throw them on the ground and run off to do something else (usually outside). She's either not the maternal type or more interested in adventuring! Wow at all of Abby's teeth. I think Lucy still has about 8-9, she lets me brush them but I can't look in her mouth for long enough to check. How exciting that you guys are going to try for #2 in the new year. I really hope that this pg is serene and trouble-free - you deserve it!

Jen - hope you're doing well and counting down. Like Em, I kinda think a boy would be nice next, but then I think how nice it would be for Lucy to have a sister (I have two) and as for all the clothes I have...!

Well, I have work to do that I've been putting off all day (no such thing as a public holiday when you work for yourself) so I'd better get to it while DP watches the footy...

Just a quick note..

Lexi had her 15 month check up today...

She now weighs 8.3kg (18lb 5oz) & is 72 cm tall...

My wee girl is not that wee anymore........

Hi ladies,

Still here and we didn't float away in last weeks floods. DH was at work that night and was extremely busy and up to his chest in water trying to assist people. All my family and friends (that i know of) got away with very minor or no damage at all, which is just great. Unfortunately for others they were not so lucky. Some people went 5 days with no electricity or have lost evrything from the flooding. You can still drive into the suburbs that flooded and see cars still parked or "washed up" that the owners have not yet come back for, it kinda looks like people have just parked really badly or in stupid places till you remember what happened. We got to take some great photos of the ship that is stuck on the beach. Bradley didn't understand how seldom it would occur until i explained that the last time it happened i had just been born and a ship (or the remains of it) still remains to this day a few km's north of where this happened.

Brad had a really long long weekend as his school had a pupil free day on the friday, the public hol monday, and also tuesday school was closed. Thankfully there was no damage at school cause i had had enough of being stuck at home in the rain with both kids whinging!!!!! On the upside Brad's class have a mascot lion called "yoyo" and it was brad's turn to have him so needless to say we had lots to tell and heaps of photos taken over the 5 days that we had "yoyo". The best one i think was when we went to see the ship.

I am starting to worry about Liam and his lack of teeth-still at 2 and he is still only really babbling.
    The top gums look like they could explode anytime with at least 4 teeth i can see clearly in the gums.
    Occassionally we get a mum, dad, doda(dummy) or ta. I am sure Brad was more word vocal by now. What is everyone elses cherubs saying?

Going to have to cut this short but kids need feeding!!!!

Hi Kas - I wouldn't worry about Liam's teeth, but maybe mention it when you see your GP/MCHN for his 18 mth needles/check-up. I know of a couple of kids who didn't get their first tooth until 11 mths and then gradually after that. As for the words, he seems like he has a few and I would be more concerned about his comprehension at this age than his vocalising skills. Do you think he is understanding more or following simple instructions? Are you sure he doesn't have a hearing problem? If that's all okay, he'll talk when he's ready. I've heard that kids who talk later are often more intelligent (must be spending more time thinking, which would probably be good advice to most of us!).

Since you asked, Lucy doesn't seem to be going ahead in leaps and bounds in what she's saying, but she does pick up new words every so often. She's been saying 'Mum', 'Dad', 'boob', 'ball' and the dogs' names for a while. In the last few months she's started with 'hello' (playing on the toy phone), 'na-na' (banana), 'yes' (just started), one 'no' (when I asked her a qn) and she's trying to say 'sh' (to the Wiggles bear song and to say 'shoe'). But the list is much more impressive than what she actually uses every day. I'd be lucky to get more than three of those in any one day, and not always consistently. She is more conversational in her babble and her understanding of what is being said TO her has sped up heaps. She can follow two-step instructions and communicate that she wants something if I ask her questions. She's dropped off the few signs she knows in favour of trying to speak or going and pointing to things directly.

The one thing I am pleased about is she's doing what I ask her to much more readily. I do tend to use the Wiggles to bribe her to sit still to get dressed or have her nappy changed or to stop her whingeing when it's getting towards dinner time and nothing else works, but otherwise just being firm is actually working. But then, she's never been particularly wilful, somewhat independent but not strong-willed.

I would like to ask how is everyone planning on teaching your child to use manners (apart from example)? Or how did you do it with your older children?

Hiya All

Jen13 ~ DS1 has pretty good manners. When we were teaching him to say please and thankyou we would offer him soemthing but not give it to him until he said yes please and then not let go of it until thank you. Pardon me was taught by example. Excuse me has come with practice. Also he now understands that if he wants to get by people will only move when he asks excuse me. As for DS2 he just pushes everyone around and crys til he gets his own way! Cailan is really lovely, always says ta.

16 months old today

Where is the time going??????

Hmmmmm, manners! Sometimes i wonder if bradley remembers his and then other times he can be so polite (mainly to strangers which in a way i suppose what counts most).
    *To start with we are saying "ta" or "thankyou" to Liam when he gives us something or when we give him something and encourage him to copy. ATM we occassionally get back a "ta".
    *We also hug and kiss when we get up in the morning and when we leave each other or go bed. Apart from being because we love and care for each other it starts the greeting and goodbye politeness. As a toddler we use it with all family and close friends for Bradley as we will with Liam and just a nice "hello" with strangers. This i hoped would also help with differenciating (?sp) between different levels of relationships IYKWIM.
    *Once Brad was making sentances we started on the table manners and asking to leave the table when he was finished. ATM though he tends to be the last one finished so it is more like us asking him to hurry to up not him asking to leave! "Pardon me" if he burps etc was also put in place about this time. "Excuse me" also came about this same time.
    *Sorry was also started as soon as he could understand the meaning. It was used it he hurt his friends whilst playing or if he did something wrong we would briefly explain and then get him to apologise.
    *I think from then on it comes as needeed. Kind of like if you would say or do something, i would teach Brad the right thing to do, mainly so he isn't seen as a naughty child/boy but also so he grows up with respect towards others and their belongings. Eg- speak when spoken to, don't talk when others are talking, listening properly and looking when someone speaks to you......etc.

OK, this is day three and Liam and I are now down to just a night time booby feed.... i have mixed emotions as you can see- haha. I have fed him much longer than Brad (9 months). One side is saying he is getting a bit old (for me personally) and the other still wants to hold on to my baby. He has been decreasing the length of both morning and night feeds for a week or two and i just thought it was teeth but obviously he is no longer needing it. It appears one nipple has a partially blocked duct which got very sore the other night and i started to get some of the mastitis signs but after much pain and intervetion it seems to be getting better.

Liam has a check up at the CFHC next wednesday so we will see how much he has hopefully grown.

I think he will be a star soccer player. He spends half of his day kicking things around house and has done for a couple of months. He has great eye foot coordination and can even kick around balls the size of golf balls with ease. At times i think he should be on Bradley's soccer team and they might have a better chance!!!

Liam is understanding so much of what we say and follows directions, as i mentioned in last post though, still no words. But that is kind of nice cause i love listening to him babble and sing and try to tell us what he wants. He now pretty much takes us to the fridge or cupboard if he is hungry or thirsty or goes in search of his food bag we take out with us and gives a hand action if he wants what we hold or a grunt. Like his "booba" though the more he wants it the better the grunt. Cheeky little monkey just found brad's chocolate shrek things we bought yesterday and has unwrapped one and started to eat it and i thought i took them all of him earlier when he emptied the bag .

On the flip side we are getting wonderful tanrums (tanties as we call them) if he gets told "no" or can't have what he wants(one is being performed as we speak because he wanted to help me).

For those of you with older kids, can you come to terms with the fact there is only one week left of term and we are half way through the year. I am struggling to comes to terms with the fact Bradley is halfway through his first year of school. It seeems to have gone so much fatser than preschool.

Anyways my "tanty boy" needs some love so i will sign off and hope you are all well.

Hi girls

I've been a bit slack, working heaps and coming up to end of financial year so busy for me and DP work-wise. I have a whole heap of new clients, mostly smaller stuff, but well and truly keeping me on my toes. It's working out nicely with Lucy going to her godmother's one day and having a nanny here for two others.

Thanks for the tips on manners, Kas and Steph. I'm trying to put into action most of the things you've said, especially the 'excuse me', 'cause Lucy tends to try and barge through atm.

I can't believe Liam is already 16 mths and we're almost there. Sounds like he is growing up, Kas. Lucy is down to three feeds a day. When she cut the morning nap out she was whingeing around her normal bf time, but wasn't asking for 'boob', wanted food instead. She is more than content to have a banana and then seems to spend the rest of the morning snacking. She still eats full meals - I have no idea where she puts all that food! Her biggest bf is in the morning and then before her nap. The nighttime one she doesn't seem to lie still for as long and is in a hurry to go to bed most nights.

At her swimming lesson on the weekend she swam without me holding her for the first time!!! I was so excited (can you tell)! She's been wearing a bubble for a few months and the last couple of weeks has finally been less distracted by what everyone else is doing and has been concentrating on getting it together better. Well, I was hardly holding the bubble at all for her and let go to see what she'd do and off she paddles! I still need to grab her 'cause when she forgets she goes in face-first a bit. But I'm guessing after next term she won't need me in there with her at all. It's a bit harder to teach her though, she's a lot younger than the other toddlers who are 'swimming' without needing to be held and they can understand more complicated directions. Can't wait to use our pool this summer!

Must go, too much work to do to spend all day on BB! Hope everyone else is well!

Hi all,
    Firstly i just wanted to wish Jen all the best for bubs arrival and I can't wait to hear all about it.

Secondly just a quick stats update for Liam as he has his appointment on wednesday. Bare weight- 8.3kg Length-74cm Head- 45.5cm. Next will be his chicken pox needle in August....really not looking forward to that one!!!!

We are heading to sydney on sunday to stay a couple of nights and head to the zoo and see a few other sights. A bit of fun to start off the school holidays. So hopefully NO RAIN or it won't be much fun with all the kids(we are going with friends and thier three kids).
    OK house to clean gotta go

Hi girls

Jen has had her baby! Check out the birth announcements.

I can't believe she was even bigger than Tayneesha!

Kas - we're having a BB meet up on Thursday at my place, I don't suppose you'll be in Sydney then still?? The thread is under member meet ups, Sydney Day Meet Up. I'd love to see you again!

Must go, someone has just woken from her lovely looong nap!

Thanks for the heads up about jen's bub. Unfortunately we are heading home on tuesday night so i won't be able to make the meet up. Thanks for the offer, it would have been great to see you again also.

Time for a new thread

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678