Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born March 2007 #2

Taia's Mum Guest

Sasha - I do wear a bra and breast pads to bed - but I still somehow managed to soak through!

Had another unsettled evening last night - DS eventually got her to settle in the bouncer about 10.30pm. She then woke at 2.30 for a quick feed and then again at 5.30...which was another unsettled hour and a bit! This avo she was also very unsettled - starting to drive me nuts! I just don't know what to do to settle her. Is she overfed and that's why she's crying? So DS again put her in the bouncer (my attempts failed) and she's asleep in it now!

Hope everyone else is settled and good!

Hello, well pleased to report my little angel is back to normal, so whatever it was, chocolate or supply issues - I don't know but she is back to her gorgeous cooing self, still having trouble getting a good daytime nap in she just catnaps most of the time but we are slowly getting into more of a wake/sleep daytime routine.

Shell - good to hear from you, I have been wondering aboput how you were going but kept forgetting to post. Have to catch up with your birth story but hope you are feeling better soon. Not sure about the driving, have heard it's got something to do with insurance, but I suppose it depends on how you are feeling.

natty - thinking of you, I think a few of us were where you are now a week or so ago so it mightr be a growth spurt. Lots of cuddles, try and keep her upright if it's wind, have you tried trying to settle her lying on her chest? works sometimes for us and remember babies only feed when they want to - they won't overfeed themselves so if in doubt put her on the boob, if it is a growth spurt she will trying to boost your supply

Savina - hope the funeral goes well and sympathise with you about the older brother waking the baby Xander is a star at doing this.

Karina - we didn't really get to meet anyone due around the same time as us but I have been meeting heaps of mums of bubs born around the same time and they are all girls - weird!

Sarah – isn’t it amazing how they watch everything. Grace just stares at everything, she just takes it all in. Amazing. I think if Ariya is rolling multiple times a day it is probably not a reflex. Did you get to the aba meeting? I hope the cloth nappies are good. We have 2 pea pods (pocket AIOs), but they are still too big for Grace – she needs to chubby up her legs!

Sasha – thank goodness Grace has gone back to her usual self after our exhausting clingy day on Saturday. Although tonight she was lying in her rocker just looking around and I decided I wanted a cuddle so I picked her up and she cracked it! I just wanted a cuddle, lol. Can’t win!! The screaming session right on tea time would be frustrating but I have been told that this is not an unusual time. When do you bath Sebastian? We found that by bathing Grace between 6 and 7 each night and then topping her up and then putting her in her rocker she remains settled so that we can have tea – we rock the rocker with our foot and have the vibration thing turned on, it has worked well. Did you get your rocking chair? I love my rocking chair, especially for that night feed, it settles Grace really well.

Sonia – you poor thing. I hope you start to feel better soon. That sounds terrible. Sounds like you’re a bit run down, don’t forget to look after yourself too.\

Jessica – I hope you get those night feeds sorted out. Sounds very unpleasant and very tiring. Grace had a cuddly day the other day and she wouldn’t let me put her down, very tiring, I hope you are getting some better days now.

Nat – did you have a better evening tonight? Wow, I haven’t leaked through anything yet (touch wood). I always have to wear and bra and breast pads to bed – not because I leak but I find my nipples are extra sensitive and if anything rubs against them it is horrid, so it’s a comfort thing for me. I’ve been told that you can’t overfeed a breast fed baby, they will only take what they want.

Karina – glad you found a way to bath Claire without the screaming. Grace has finally gotten used to the bath and we have now had 3 quiet baths with smiles and all – it is SO cute! Haven’t had a bath with her yet, can’t wait to do that soon. Glad the ultrasound went well. We bumped into a couple from our antenatal class a couple of weeks ago and met their little boy. It was nice to talk to them – they had a very different experience of the hospital than what we did which was interesting.

Cass – Grace has had a lot of milk spots but they are finally gone. Now she has the red hormone spots on her face instead! They are not as obvious though, and apparently these can last a couple of weeks too. How do you hold Izzy in the shower? Do you hold her under the water jet? Does she get slippery? Lots of questions sorry.

Shell – great to hear from you. Read your birth story,sorry things didn’t go as planned but glad everything worked out well in the end.

Savina – I hope your poppy’s funeral is a great celebration of his life, will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sasha – I find on the warmer days Grace feeds every 2 – 2.5hours instead of her usual 3. I figure she is just thirsty (I mean..I get thirsty when the weather is warmer) so I just go with the flow. We had one of those days yesterday but today was cooler and she reverted back to 3hour feeds. How time flies huh! 6 weeks, wow!

We had check up with maternal and child health care nurse. Grace has put on another 555grams in 2 weeks (!) and has grown another 5 cm. We knew she was getting longer and bigger (mainly because her wondersuits were getting tighter in length), but wow. Apparently average length growth is 1cm per week, she is just getting bigger and bigger so quickly. Thought she was getting a snuffly nose overnight but if seems ok now. We had an exciting day the other day. She started to smile in response to things – it is so cute, I could just watch her smile all day long (have take HEAPS of photo’s. Can’t have too many I say, thank god for digital!). My best friend from Sydney is down at the moment for a couple of days so it was exciting to introduce her to Grace. Grace is now much happier to lie in her rocker or on the floor awake which is good. Only a week ago we would have to put her to sleep before putting her down. This has also resulted in successful trips in the pram 2 days running. Fingers crossed this continues as I really want to get out and walk daily, need to lose this weight. Pleased to say that she is sticking to her routine of a 6 hour sleep through the night.The maternal and child health nurse seems to think this won’t change, fingers crossed as it is very nice. Hope everyone is well, sorry about long post but miss a fair bit when you don’t get on daily! Take care.

Taia's Mum Guest

Last night was the same as the previous few nights but not as bad....it's crazy! Also bubs sounds like she is trying to clear her throat a lot - does anyone else have this problem? Sounds horrible sometimes!

Shell it's great to hear from you again!

Well bubs is down (yay!) so I'm going to wash the dog!

welll the funeral went well as well as can be any way, and left me thinking of a celebration of his life .
    besides that on a goood note taylen only woke up 2 times last nite , he went down about 8,30pm woke up at 1.30 am and then at 5,30p[m which he than stayed up wwhich he usually wakes up around 5 so he did really well i couldnt beleive it , i wish i had went to bed the same time as him we had in laWS over 4 the nite and i stayedf up late as u do when u have guests ,, if i did i woud have had a good sleep , oh well
    hope all the bubs r doin good today

welll the funeral went well as well as can be any way, and left me thinking of a celebration of his life .
    besides that on a goood note taylen only woke up 2 times last nite , he went down about 8,30pm woke up at 1.30 am and then at 5,30p[m which he than stayed up wwhich he usually wakes up around 5 so he did really well i couldnt beleive it , i wish i had went to bed the same time as him we had in laWS over 4 the nite and i stayedf up late as u do when u have guests ,, if i did i woud have had a good sleep , oh well
    hope all the bubs r doin good to day

Hi everyone!

Well I learnt something tonight which I may be able to share and help some of you with.

A neighbour friend came to visit and we were chatting about lots of booby milk, fast flow, and our babies settling (or lack of!) after feeds, especially at night. She mentioned the grunting, clearing throat noise and that she fixed it with her baby by feeding him less (dropped down from 2 boobs to 1 for night feeds). I have noticed this noise a lot with Tate, esp at night, and although I already only feed from one boob per feed, I am going to start trying to feed him a little less, as it may be he is unsettled at night because he is getting so much milk that it is making him feel unwell. Could be related to the throat clearing noise you mentioned Nat?

Tate def is a cuddly baby and during the day pretty much only goes to sleep if he is being cuddled, and seems to wake up 5mins after I put him down. It seems like I am never going to get him into the right routine, but I have to remind myself it is very early days yet!

Will do personals once I am back in a bellybelly habit (if my boys let me!)

Ari and I had another super day today - touch wood, I can't believe how much she is awake though, not a daytime sleeper that's for sure but she is happy to just lie around and occassionally has to be held so it is just dreamy - so diffnt to DS. Got some super pics of her today reching for her toys in her bouncer just gorgeous.

Oh my nappies arrived today - they are soooooo beautiful, unfortunately y have to wash them 3-4 times before wearing and they become more absorbant over time, pleased I gothe bamboo ones not the hemp though - you have to wash the hemp ones 7-8 times in hot water before using! Can't wait to use them tomorrow.

Rachel - wow on 5cm in 2wks that is amazing. Aren't they're smiles beautiful. Haven't looked at peapods yet do you think they will work well when they fit? I can't believe how thick (but slim) these nappies are - hoping they work well.

Natty - is it sort of a grunting noise? both my kids have done this for the first 12wks or so and then grown out of it - don't know why. DH always thinks it sounds like they are trying to poo :-) Maybe they are I don't know.

savina - Pleased the funeral went as well as it could. Hope Taylen sleeps well again for you

Jessica - that's interting! Ariya does this all day as did DS but she would be completely peeved if I took her off early, as it is if I have to cut a feed short to do something she is at me constantly for those last few minutes :-) Hope it works for you though.

Rachel, wow at Grace growing so much. We weighed Claire today and she is now just under 4kg. I cant believe how big she is getting already. I think she has gotten longer too but I havent measured her yet. Amazing how quick they grow isnt it? The bath with baby is lovely, I would recommend it. Yay that she is now sleeping 6 hours, I am looking forward to when Claire does that. Aww I love the smiles. Claire has started smiling and its soooo gorgeous.

Natty, sorry to hear youre so tired. Claire doesnt really clear her throat alot, but she does grunt alot. DH grunts too. I think she gets it from him!

Sarah, good to see youre getting into some sort of routine. We definately dont have a routine going yet, but I am happy that she'll now have a bath without crying, so I feel alot better about that! How cool about the nappies. Id be interested to hear how you go with them. I looked into them, but I'm just not sure about them yet.

We are going to our 6 week checkup tonmorrow morning. I wanted to go during School hols so DH could help me! Has anyone had theirs? What does it involve? I'm very excited because most of my stitches have now dissolved, but I dont want my doc to look there. No one is allowed to look/touch there yet, not even DH, lol so I hope Doctor doesnt need to.

DH also came with me to Parents group today - i think he fetl funny because he was the only Dad there lol but he said he enjoyed it. We're all going to have lunch at the pub next week to get some more Dads along hahah.
    Last edited by Karina; April 12th, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Rach - o hold izzy with her head on my arm an my hands holding her legs her body held up against mine... and then my back against the water, so she only gets a mist of the spray... if that makes any sense... i havn't found her to be slippery...

Cass, did you have an unsettled night? I can barely keep my eyes open at 3.30am let alone string a sentance together on the computer! lol. Sounds nice, might have to give that a go too.

Grace grunts too, it is generally when she gets tired or wants to be put down. She would crack it if we tried to cut her feed short but I hope it works for you Jessica.

Karina how did your appointment go? Mine is not until i'm almost 7 weeks post as my GP is on holidays next week lucky thing.

Sarah not sure how the peapods will go but will let you know. I have heard good stuff about them though.

Didn't get 6 hours last night which was a bugger although can't really complain about the 4.5hours we did get except that I expressed before going to bed which delayed me going to bed so I could've gotten more sleep if i hadn't done that, oh well.

hehe... Izzy thought it was play time! which means mum has to be awake too - n pay attention to her or she get cranky! lol...

ha ha - i know that feeling, luckily (touch wood) grace does that in the day though!

I don't know how you guys find the time to post!! I have had a break through with Nicholas last night. I borrowed the book "The Baby Whisperer" from my sister yesterday and have started to try to get Nicholas into a routine. Last night, I gave him a "dream feed" at 11pm, we had him fed and settled by about 12.30am, then he slept until 6.45am! Today, I have kept him in a routine of feeding approx. 3 hourly (he has been 2 hourly until now), having a bit of play time, then putting him down. For the last week, he has only settled in our arms, bouncing up and down on the fitball, and has been sleeping in bed with us. Today, we decided to put him into his cot in his own room as he doesn't seem to like being in the bassinet in our room. He slept for just over 2 hours, with no waking! I ended up waking him as I don't want to leave him more than 3 hours for a feed as he isn't gaining a lot of weight (only 210g since leaving hospital 3 weeks ago). He is now asleep in his cot and I put him in there still awake! He settled himself! I know this may all change again with the next hour, but for right now, I am pretty happy to be able to do a load of washing and make some lunch that I can actually get to eat!

Has anyone else taken Fennegreek (sp?) tablets to help increase milk supply? As Nicholas isn't gaining weight very quickly, the Child Health Nurse recommended taking them as I may have a low supply. She also said that a low milk supply may be genetic as none of my sisters have been able to breastfeed and all tried everything including medication to increase milk supply, with no luck. I have not heard this before, but I suppose it makes sense. I am seeing a lactation consultant on Monday and am going to try everything to be able to breastfeed.

I hope everyone else is going well.

Hi everyone, well, S has a cold & is losing his voice which sounds quite funny (but also sort of sad because I know he doesn't feel well). Therefore clingyclingycling - all day. Thank God for the HAB, it was so great this morning when he was just feeling off and didn't want to lie down, even in the bouncer.

Jo, I've tried the dreamfeed a couple of times with Sebastian and it's worked really well. Hope you can get some good advice to help you continue breastfeeding, it's hard sometimes, isn't it? My supply is fine but sometimes my nipples get so sore and I think, so this is why they invented formula LOL

Cass I was surprised to see your very early post too!! Luckily S goes to sleep straight after feeds at night, although sometimes in the morning if I'm trying to nap he doesn't want to... he's very persistent in getting me up when I'm not keen to be awake!

Karina cool that your DH came to Parents' group. M can't come because he'll be working, although I think he would rather be there than at a meeting with loads of mums and babies anyway! How did your 6 wk check go? My GP was very good, did a quick check "down there" but no pap or anything, she said unless I had some trouble I shouldn't worry and she'll do one at 3 months.

Sarah I can't wait to hear how you go with the nappies. I just bid on a Mandy Mac one on ebay as I heard good things about it.

Nat, wow, you poor thing with the no sleep (and what a bugger that your milk leaks through pads!) S does the throat clearing thing when you touch him and he's asleep. It IS a horrible noise! Sounds especially bad now that he has a sore throat!

Jess, I find I only feed from one side during the night as well because S is usually sleepy by the end of the feed and doesn't want anymore. The CHN mentioned that he probably feeds more often during the day to make up for his long sleep at night.

Rachel, 6 hours sleeps sound good - nice that you could introduce Grace to your best friend. S generally sleeps well in the pram and has started to settle himself off to sleep well (except for today, of course!!)

Well, we've just about run out of nappies so I guess I'd better get to the shops! Have a good weekend everyone!

Rachel, 4.5 hrs sleep is still pretty good lol. I think Claire is going to have a big sleep tonight - been awake almost all day. Appointent was good and luckily everything is a-ok. I dont feed Claire alot at night. I tend to fall asleep while feeeding her anyway.. which is very bad, but I am just so tired! She falls asleep on my boob anyway.

Jomarie, yay that Nicholas had a good long sleep last night. We're going through the same thing as you have been - Claire just wont settle unless in our arms and I took her into our bed last night but fell asleep and hubby freaked when he woke up with a baby next to him. Whats this dream feed thing? I havent used fenugreek, but I have heard Raspberry Leaf tea/tablets are also meant to be good for boosting your milk supply. Did you have difficuty feeding Jasmyn? I hope the lactation consultant can help you with feeding and ideas to build your milk supply.

Bec, i hope Sebastian gets over his cold soon. poor thing! Appointment was good - no way anyone is giving me a pap test just yet even though my next was due in March. I'll wait a couple of months before I have it done i think, but I dont want to leave it too long. My sister has just had to have an op to remove pre-cancer cells from her cervix and that freaks me out.

Our appointment with the Doctor today went well. He said Claire seems to be very healthy and alert so I am happy about that obviously - he made a big point of saying she is perfectly formed...? I got him to check my stiches because some of them have still not disolved, but luckily they are ok and he doesnt think its a risk to just leave them to disolve on their own. He told me its just beautiful to see a woman breastfeeding lol.. Poor Claire, she was so not happy today - she's been cranky since we got in the car at 11 to go the Doctor. We only just got her to settle at about 5:30. its been a looong day! lol Claire is asleep but I think she dreams of booby sometimes. She makes sucky faces and sucky noises while sleeping.

We also got a new pram today! DH ordered it on the net last week and it arrived today. It is pretty easy to fold/unfold and folds up very small. Its for when Claire is a bit bigger though - the guildelines say it is from 6 months and older. Our current pram is parked in the stairwell in our unit buiding. Too big and heavy to store anywhere else!

Hope you all get some well deserved sleep tonight!

Karina - thats great that your appointment went well and so cute that claire dreams of feeding in her sleep :-) We cosleep with Ariya it is so much easier than trying to stay awake during night feeds, my DH doesn't like having the baby beside him either but I have a special pillow that I put between them now which has a nightlight in it it is great.

Bec - Sorry to hear Sebastian has a cold :-( hope he is feeling better soon. We used the baby beehind today and it was awesome, no leakage and it absorbs sooooooo much.

Jo - I have heard that Fenegeek is really good for bosting supply but I think the best way of boosting it is lots of feeds, basically just spend 2-3 days feeding as much as you can. Night feeds are especially good for building up supply. If you have a breast pump you could try expressing after bub has finished, even if you aren't getting much out it is the stimulation that will create more milk. Is Nicholas settled after a feed and is he having lots of wet nappies? Hope the LC can help you out if it is a supply problem but remember some babies are just slow at gaining weight and it doesn't mean anything is wrong that's why they have those percentiles on the growth charts.

Cass - I hope Izzy didn't keep you up too long, We cosleep with Ariya so if she has any awake time she just lies beside us and eventually falls asleep I guess, I certainly do anyway :-)

Ariya has had a very sleepy day today so hoping we are not up all night. She feed every 2 hrs last night but I think she might have just been comfort feeding as it was a bit cold last night. woohoo got to put my first wondersuit on night and she seems much more settled. whoops she is starting to stir now so better run

Hey - I am so tired! I'm falling asleep in the chair! But coz Izzy is going to be wake in half and hour for her night feed - i thought i'll try stay awake! What a bad idea that was! But i'll try respond to the post in the most alert way possible lolz... Soz now for typing errors!

Izzy normally has playtime during the day too, but i l put her down to early the night before - so it was awake time... I still learning the lesson (sleep when baby sleeps) Gotta keep reminding me self i not super woman! (yet hehe)

Oh wow 6week check ups already! the time is going way to fast! Glad everythign went well...

Me and izzy half co sleep~ During the day she's usually in her bassinet - unless i going for nap too and she'll go in mums bed! But at night she goes into her bassinet - untill she wakes up in morning (anytime after 1) i'll feed her and lay her with me... she settles alot easier...

We tried the bath today! And Izzy liked it! Wasn't keen at first, but she liked it in the end! So thats a tick for the shower and bath and a big cross for the baby bath?!?!? I wonder why she dosn't like that one, is that because im not in there to?

And i must say the getting in and out of the bath/shower proves quite the challange! trying to undress, get in, get out towel up and dress... takes us some time!

Otay i'm gonna head off... gotta change izzy feed burb play and the sleep me self! night ladies!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast