Thread: Babies Born March 2007 #2

Default Babies Born March 2007 #2

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in March 2007

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Sherie - [email protected]
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Lactose Intolerance
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your previous thread can be found HERE

Please note - To receive thread notifications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

WOOHOO...number 1!!! Only cos when I clicked post my reply it said the thread was closed...lol...so I had to copy and paste!!

Jo and Rachel, I actually have found it easier for Oskar to bath with me...he's not as slippery. Maybe it's because he can lay on my legs so I can hold him differently?? I get Andy to pass him into the bath for me then he waits and takes him out and dries and dresses him while I finish in the bath (after warming it up a bit though...lol). Tonight I was waiting for him to wake up so he could hop in with me, but he had such a long sleep this arvo that he was so hungry and I actually ended up having to feed him in the bath!! I had my legs kinda bent up a bit so he could sit on my legt and I put his washer over him and used another washer to just keep squeezing the water onto him to keep him warm...he wasn't complaining one little bit!! I got Andy to take a couple of pics so I'll get the onto the computer soon so you can see...he looked so cute.

Jo, as long as Nicholas is putting on weight I wouldn't worry too much. He sounds like a good feeder so it's all good.

Sarah, those baths are wonderful aren't they. They are such an intimate and beautiful time together. Don't ya hate it when you say something about bubs then yep...you jinx it!! DOH!! Can't wait to see the pics of Ariya!!

Sonia, Oskar hates it if I try to burp him mid way too...but gets his cranky pants on if he gets a sore belly...can't win..lol.

Update on my friend...I spoke to her this arvo as she still hadn't had bubs. She's been going since Thursday arvo in hospital but did start at home on Wednesday. I can't believe how ridiculously long they have let her go...poor thing is so exhausted as she can't sleep! Apparently one way or another she is having him tonight...that is what she said anyway, so will update when I know.

Today, we went for a drive to Landsborough (which is near Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo) and had lunch at the pub there...Oskar's first meal out and he was really good!! I must say that I secretly love hearing people commenting behind you on your little bubba and when people comment to you about them...lol...I just feel all chuffed!! I did have to feed him in the car before we left though cos he started to grizzle...oh and changed his bum in the boot...HUGE area in the Magna which works really well as a change table except a little low.

As for feeding and sleeping..he feeds really well, sleeps when he wants in the day which can be a bit painful but he seems to have decided that mornings are not for sleeping and will have a little catnap then in the afternoon he'll have a bigger sleep but sleeps pretty well at night (feeds 3-4 hours on average).

Oh you beat me Cass, trying to avoid studying again - i am so bad.

We use one of those plastic bath aides to bath Ariya usually as I refuse to bother with baby baths. She loves it as she feels secure and then we take her "swimming" on her belly which she loves and has done since day 1.

Cass used to love feeding Xanny in the bath it is so relaxing - good idea getting some photos, I wish I had more of BF DS, as it is such a special time in your life. Love my carboot, we have a AWD (Captiva) and my boot is a playground, feeding place, changing room, somewhere out of the rain - just love it!

OK gotta go finish this paragragh :-)

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi everyone!

Well bubs was doing the ususal 2hrs feeds last night! Very fustrating! And she has changed her 'awake time' to about 5am! So I'm usually up for a few hours then! And she's still sleeping for ages during the day. Any ideas on how I can change her night time pattern to her day time pattern? I move her bassinett into the lounge during the day so she has light and all the noise - but this doesn't seem to help!

Lectured DH the other day (I was having a bad day!) about not getting as much help as I need - and he's starting to get better! He's great with Taia just not helping around the house as much as I would like! Men!

I have updated the pics on my website too in case anyone is interested!

xoxoxo
    Nat

nat, you could try what we do. we feed grace 3 hourly from 9am-ish to 9pm-ish, wake her if she hasn't woken herself, then from 9pm-ish to 9am-ish she calls the shots. she usually has a 6hour sleep then a 3-4hour sleep. day time is also noisy and bright, she doesn't really use her cot in the day, night time is quiet and dark. seems to be working well for us.

Cass, i am going to be trying the bath thing once dh finishes his 2 night shifts,can't wait. minus the feeding it's even something special that dh could do too. hope your friend has baby soon poor buggar! glad your first out meal went well. i love it when people comment on grace too!

had a tiring day yesterday. grace wanted cuddles all day or she would grizzle. even the hab didn't settle her. shower was tricky! so tiring when you can't put her down for a short while, very relieved when dh got home from work. good night though. fed at 11.45pm and she woke again at 6am! fed her that late as we were out and she needed to be settled when we got home. hope tonights the same.

Sarah, lol @ you trying to get out of studying. That's sooooo something I'd do!! What plastic bath aide are you talking about?? Maybe take a pic and send to me

Nat...OMG Taia is so gorgeous. What a little treasure she is. As for feeding, I don't know. I think that Oskar may have settled into his own little routine..but he doesn't work on 24 hours...lol...more like 18 hours. He seems to have a longer sleep in the afternoon, then at night he does like Grace does..just not 6 hours!! He goes around 4 hours then the next time between 2-3 hours which takes us to around 6am approx then I put him in bed next to me with a boob out for him and he just attaches and I can snooze...lol.

Rachel, I don't think Andy is comfortable enough to bath with Oskar like that yet. He's still getting the hang of changing him...he says he feels like he is going to break a toe or something if it snags on the clothing..at least he's gentle, but a little frustrating to me...lol.

We went a bought a rug to put on Oskar's floor so if he projectile poos it is easier to clean and isn't on the good wool carpet!! He was whingy and I ended up having to carry him around the shops (which I didn't really mind cos I just love having him so close anyway) and he fell asleep but woke when we were just about to leave Gloria Jean's. We got to the car, put him in the capsule and he started screaming...we get to the other side of the carpark and I said to Andy..I cannot drive all the way home with him crying like that. It just upsets me as I know he doesn't need to be upset like that. So we pull over and I feed him for a while...put him back in the capsule after he comes off but then he decides to cry for 5 mins after (just not screaming so I let him go) then falls asleep...wakes when we get home and can have a proper feed so now he's still asleep...lol...all tuckered out poor little tyke.
    Last edited by Ozziehoffy; April 9th, 2007 at 05:05 PM.

Well my little angel is well and truely out of wack, I knew I shouldn't have mentioned her beautiful sleeping. I'm guessing it is all the chocolate I've been eating and hoping she settles in the next few days.

We bought Xanny a budgie today as his reward for putting himself to bed and ariya is just fascinated by it - so cute. She is still rolling over too, do you think we should class it as rolling or do you think it is just reflexes. She rolls from back to front and front to back at least 2-3 times a day ???? And she is starting to grab/bat at things now which is exciting.

Hoping to get to an aba meeting tomorrow night, fingers crossed it is a nice group.

Cass - the bath aides are like a hard plastic lying down seat type thing, would love to send photos but my connection is too slow at the moment.

Rachel - woohoo on the sleep! hope it continues

How annoying, I just had written a long post and lost it!

Sarah, how cool that Xander has a budgie - I guess it is the colours and movement that Ariya likes. I think if she's rolling over that much it must be deliberate, not a reflex. But I'm no expert! BTW what cloth nappies did you buy? I want to get some of the fitted ones but I'm overwhelmed with choice!

Cass, kwym about them crying like that. I find it so hard to drive when he's like that in the car, if I'm tired it will make me cry too, especially if we're somewhere like on the freeway or something and we can't stop...

Rachel, S has days like that where he grizzles even if I put him down so I can go to the toilet LOL it's exhausting isn't it? Yay on the long sleep though - hope there's more where that came from!

Nat, hope she settles into a better routine for you soon. S only really got his nighttime sleeping pattern in the last week or so, and he'll be 6 weeks on Thursday, so it took us a while.

Unfortunately S's routine also includes a good screaming session between 5 and 7pm most evenings. Fairly inconvenient since that's when I'm trying to cook tea. Hopefully my sling will arrive in the next couple of days and it will make it easier. Today I got all smart, put the tea on to cook and then went off and fed him, which usually calms him down even if he's not really hungry. Turns out he was quite hungry and so he fed, then I picked him up to burp him and we went back into the kitchen where he promptly threw up everything he'd just drunk... super. Which meant that he was then hungry again, just as we were having tea - so much for me trying to be smart about it!

We have a busy week this week, are going out everyday, to appointments and need to get some things ( a new rocking chair, yippee!) so hopefully he deals with it all OK.

Hi Sasha I got a bumgenius pocket nappy one size fits all, a baby beehinds one size fits all and a berry plush cover with insert. They haven't arrived yet but I can't wait!

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

Hi Everyone
    Hope you had a good Easter.
    Just a quick post, i have been sick with the flu, fever and my boobs were so sore, Easter day was a complete disaster was in bed all day with hot/cold flushes, i thought i might have had mastitis but it ended up being engorgement, i pumped my boobs empty and now have settled down. I couldnt believe how ill i felt. now i have woken up with inflammed gums and the roof of my mouth is swollen, and i have run out of floss,.. also to make things worse i have the biggest coldsore.
    Oh god.. K is screaming.. have to go.. Not been a good week and i have a wedding on this weekend.. Great.. not looking my finest either!! Ahhhh..

Sonia, you poor thing. I am going thru a rough few days and I'm not even sick. Lots of get well soon wishes your way.

Well I must apologise for not posting in so long, there always seems to be so much to do.

Tate just fell asleep in my arms while reading all of your posts, I just put him in his basinette, please please stay asleep! Aidan is due for a nap soon too so I am hoping to get a snooze in myself.

Tate has been a cheeky monkey lately with his night feeds. Last night was 5pm, 7pm, midnight, 2am, 6am and... 7am! Not happy! I am going to try tonight other methods of settling if he wakes in less than 3hrs between feeds instead of just wacking him on the boob again. Otherwise I am going to go insane!

You won't believe it, Tate is crying... again. He seems to be very cuddly and wont sleep unless he is being cuddled. Must fly.... hi to everyone.

Taia's Mum Guest

Well last night was interesting! She was awake from 6pm and I didn't get her down till about 10pm! I think she was over tired because she was screaming and didn't want milk, a burp or a change of nappy. It was a bit hard but we got there in the end! Then she woke at 1am for about a 10min feed and then again at 5am for the usual feed. 5am feed took an hour but satisfied her till 8.30! When I woke up this morning my mattress was soaked from my boobs being overful and leaking everywhere! Hoping for another good night tonight!

Blergh, i just wrote a big post but then I pressed the wrong button and lost everything.

Bec, we have a chair that rocks. Its not a rocking chair as such, but it does rock anyway. So good for when I get up in the middle of the night and Claire just wants to cuddle.

Cass
    I have to agree wih yu on the bath. I took Claire in the bath with me the other day and it was her second bath where she didnt scream the whole time. It was just sooo nice to have a bath with her.

Sarah, i would think thtat if Ariya is rolling a few times a day then its not just a once-off thing, that its real rolling, but I dont really know. Claire isnt rolling yet, but it sometimes looks like she is trying.

Natty, hopefully Taia will settle better for you tonight. We had one of those nights last night too and I felt so bad because nothing I was doing seemed to help her.

Sonia, i hope you are feeling better now.

What is this breastfeeding pillow? Is it like one of those U-shaped pillows? I've never seen a breastfeeding pillow.

We went out today to the hospital as the Paed told us to get an ultrasound done on Claire hips. He thought one was clicky and might be dislocated. The sonographer seemed to think her hip was fine, which is a good relief. Poor thing cried the whole time though. I hate seeing her cry like that!
    Unfortunately the sonigrapher had to take Claires nappy off to do the ultrasound but then didnt put the nappy back on properly afterwards and while we were waiting for them to print out the scan pictures, Claire did a huge #2 and it leaked through her clothes so she had a big poo stain on back of her jumpsuit. Luckily DH was holding her lol, but we had accidentally left her bag in the car so didnt have any spare nappies and clothes on us.

Has anyone else seen couples/babies they met at the hospital? Today at the ultrasound place we saw one couple and their baby who we met at antenatal classes and who also had their baby the same day as us... And yesterday at a shopping centre, we saw a Dad and baby who we also met at the hospital . Just wierd ,of all people you could bump into, we bumped into these people. It was nice to stop and chat about our babies though.

I think i might catch up on some Z's now while Claire is sleeping!

Otay, i gonna try typing one handed with izzy in my arms... she just dotn want to be put down...

I went to the doctors and got izzy's milk spots checked out, he assured me that although she has a bad case, it is quite normal, and there is nothing to do for them, jsut make sure shes not overheated (heat makes them worst) and that its not really to do with what i eating more that izzy is going through hormone withdrawel!

Cass - i've had the projectile poo's too! i jsut don't seem to be quick enuff with the other nappy an it gets everywhere! lol... and i havnt quite taught Izzy to only do it for her dad and nana! thats a lesson in the making! hehe...

I havnt tried izzy in the bath with me yet... but she loves the shower! even more then her baths (which she screams the whole way through) but the shower she loves! was almost falng asleep today... n helps with her wind...

izzy such a gud sleeper... we have witchin hours in the afternoon, wjere shes just on n off the boob till about 6-7, then she'll go down for a 4 hour nap, wake up for feed n burb, change then asleep till about 5-6 in morning... which i think is pretty lucky...

Karina - glad o here her hip was fiine... pity bout the poo leakin (gud thing it was on dad lol) i've seen a few of the girls from hospital out n about...

hope everyone is well... gotta cut it short izzy squirming wants more of my attention

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to "pop" in and say hi im still around !
    Havent had too much time to read back but its nice to see everyone's (including babies!) doing well.
    Just quickly, i posted in my birth story about Emily having tongue tie - i have had this fixed now and everythings going really well. No longer breast feeding due to milk problems. I've had dp off for the last week and a half due to me not being able to do anything (its driving me nuts) but he went back to work today. Im loving Emily soo much, i just want to hold and kiss her all the time, well when i can get in without dp already doing it! Must go and cook tea.
    Those of you who had already had kids and had a c-section, when did you drive? I've been told to wait for 6 - 8 weeks, this will drive me crazy! Butr each day i feel so much better and have more movement, im hoping to drive a little earlier????
    Back when i have more time - take care!

Shell, Good that Emilys tongue tie is now fixed. Sorry to see you are having trouble with breastfeeding, but you gave it a good go so thats something - i know you were happy that you were able to after having had a breast reduction. You should check with your car insuarnce compnay about driving.. because some wont cover you for 6 weeks after major surgery which includes c/s. Not saying youll have an accident, but its just something to think about.

Cass blob, thanks for sharing about the milk spots - good to know theyre totally normal! Claires been an attention hog today too lol, just wants to be hugged!

well, someone is calling for me.. lol

just a quick hi!!!!!
    ive gotta get raedy and go to my nanas as we r goin to go to the shops to get an out fit for my poppys funeral which is tomorrow...
    nat- loved the pics thanks for sharing them , shes adorable she was only a tiny bubba wasnt she? to cute .....

wat a nit he seeps for 3 to 4 hrs if im lucky but he woke up at 4 am and stayed awake until around 6.30 am and the we had a sleep for a an hr then ds woke up wanting brekkie and then well taylen got woken up because of him and he was so cranky eventually got him down again and his still sleeping but im sure his goin to wake up very soon,
    talk later
    \my 2 yr old is whinging about a sock he cant get off his foot i could so smack him
    Savina

Savina, I'm sure you won't "enjoy" the funeral, but hoping that it's a celebration of his life and brings you all closure.
    I had to laugh when you said you could smack your son LOL I totally understand the sentiment, though. I guess it's different with a newborn as he's not really annoying as such, just wears you out. One of my mother's friends told me recently: "When I had Dorothy [her first baby], my mother said to me, 'Catherine, sometimes you'll feel like throwing the baby out the window. That's completely normal - just don't do it'!" So funny, I needed to hear it!!

Shell I just posted in your birth story thread - you had a bit of a hard time! Glad you got the tongue-tie fixed; I heard the same thing as Karina re the driving, it's to do with insurance. But apparently if you go to your GP and s/he writes a letter to say you're OK to drive then you can.

Karina, bit scarey having to go for the hip check but glad it all worked out. Don't they choose to poo at the worst times!

Cass Blob, wow, Izzy is a good sleeper. I haven't tried S in the shower yet, will have to give it a go on the weekend. Definitely work on getting her to poo on Dad rather than you LOL

Nat I can't go to bed without wearing bra and breast pads. I get letdown all the time (plus my nipples are quite tender), I really miss being able to just sleep in knickers!! Oh well...

Jessica, I've been trying to stretch out S's feeds as well because sometimes I'm not sure he's hungry, he'll just suck a bit and then pull away. But then the other day when it was warm he fed every 1.5-2 hours and he REALLY fed, so I don't know! We got a bouncer from my sister the other day and it has been magic for settling him when he's cranky, I really recommend one.

((HUGS)) to you Sonia, hope you're feeling better soon. It's not fun to be feeling awful and still have to feed and look after the little one. Hopefully you'll be completely recovered so that you can enjoy the wedding on the weekend.

Sarah thanks for the nappy names. I'm going to probably order some next week.

Well, we got the chair yesterday. Had to pull it out of the box in the carpark because the box wouldn't fit in the boot!! So we ended up with bits and pieces in various parts of the car, and I gave the box back to the shop for their bin heheh. It's SOOO comfy! So funny because I asked for a rocking chair for my 21st birthday, and I remember telling someone about it, and she said, "How cool, you'll be able to sit in it and feed your babies!" and I thought, "you can't be serious" Well, what a lot changes in 10 years!! (And it only took me 10 years to find a rocking chair I liked LOL)

Just came back home from our 6 week check with our (nice) GP - we're both well and she kept saying how cute S is, a very well trained doctor, don't you think?!! Gosh this post is starting to get long, better go!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast