Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 1-15 2008

Hi ladies....it's been a week since we've been home and so far things have been great. J is feeding every 3 hours or thereabouts and has been sleeping really well. There's only been a couple of nights where he hasn't settled and DP has been great in getting up to settle him so I can get some sleep before the next feed. The child health nurse came during the week and he weighed 3kg exactly. J absolutely loves his baths too. I'm a bit nervous tonight as he is going to sleep in the cot in his own room for the first time. Since leaving hospital he has slept in the pram next to my bed! I think I have more separation anxiety than he does!

Beckstar, sorry the links in the opening post aren't working - it happens sometimes when there are forum upgrades.

Hi all
    My little girl Amelie Jean was born at the 14th of May but was not due till the 27th. I was induced due to GD and low foetal movement in the days before she came. We have been home nearly a week and she is such a good baby. She sleeps and feeds so well atm.
    I am happy to see there a few other WA Mums here as my belly belly group did not have any. Looking forward to get to know you all as our bundles of joy grow.
    My little girl is also putting on weight on Monday she was only 100gms of her birth weight she should be up to it by this Monday when we get weighed again.

Hi everyone and welcome Kristale.

Laranna - how did you go with your first night sleeping alone? Its such a big step. I remember the first night Izzy slept in her own cot - I kept creeping up the stairs to check on her and got the worst night sleep. She slept beautifully throughout the whole thing!

I had a great day yesterday. I dropped DD#1 off with gran and grandad for the day and went to breakfast with friends, and then a birthday lunch. Elena was such a good girl - she didn't make a sound all day and happily slept her way through everything. We'd had a bad night the night before with her being very unsettled so I was in bed last night at 8.30pm, expecting to be woken up for a feed an hour later but my little princess slept until 12.30 am!! I was so amazed when I woke up - and soaking wet from milk leaking everywhere but the sleep was wonderful. Had another feed just after 3am and then again at 6.30 am so I feel like a new woman today.

Welcome Kristale

Lulu- good to hear u had a great day and that Elena was a good girl for u!

i really wanna get Jack weighed again hes getting so chubby!! might go do at the chemist after shopping tonight, im very curious to know how much he has put on.

how is everyone going?

Emily had her dr's check up today, and is doing fabulously!!
    Her birth stats were:
    3.635kg, 51cm, hc 34.5cm
    11 days:
    4.21kg, 50cm, hc 36.5cm

Welcome and congratulations mumofsix & kristale!!

laranna - how did you go with putting him in his cot?

lulu - that's great you had a good day the other day.

Everything is going really well with us. Nina has settled in real well with Emily. And Emily is a champion sleeper at night.
    She doesn't seem to like it when I take her out though, she's alright while we're out, but once we get home she's very unsettled. I think maybe because it's very windy here ATM, and she's getting wind. So I'm just limiting the amount we're going out, which isn't hard. At least I'm not tempted to spend too much money!

well, he didn't end up sleeping in his cot, slept in the pram again so last night DP moved the cot into our room and at first he wouldn't settle in it so I put him back in the pram and then after his next feed I managed to get him settled in the cot.

The last couple of nights it has been hard to settle him, last night DP stayed up with him between an entire feed so I could get some sleep before the next feed.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the foods you eat to affect the breastmilk? I'm wondering if something I've eaten has caused him to be unsettled after feeds. Today he has been feeding every couple of hours so maybe he is just going thru a growth spurt?

laranna - you'll find food/drinks will be in your breastmilk pretty much straight away, and will stay there for a few hours. What sort of foods had you eaten, do you remember?
    Are you wrapping him to go to sleep? Emily loves being wrapped. When I put her to bed, I wrap her and it's like she knows that it's bedtime when I do that. Also, with Nina we had a thing called a 'sleep positioner'. It's a thing you put bub in between 2 sides when they're sleeping, and it creates a cosy environment for them. Maybe google it so you can see what I mean. We bought it from Big W, and she loved it. We used it with her until she started rolling in her cot.
    Or the other thing I can think of, is if he's really unsettled, then wind maybe?

Thanks Jodi, last night I had fried rice for dinner and while it wasn't spicy at all to my taste buds I am thinking maybe it bothered DS. I've been swaddling him each time he goes to bed, sometimes he squirms his way out but most times he doesn't mind it. I've got a "head comforter" thingy which can go in the pram, cot or car seat and creates a cushioning around their head and shoulders. I tried that in the cot today and it seemed to help a bit so hopefully tonight will be more restful. But I think mainly it was the food I ate that bothered him...

Oh also, if he is bothered by what's in my breastmilk how long before it gets out of his system?

If I'm not sure about a certain food or drink, I wait until Emily has had a feed, then I'll eat or drink it. Just to be on the safe side. I've read that some foods can stay in your breastmilk for quite a few hours. I suppose it depends on what it is, and how much you have. Things like tea, coffee, sugary drinks etc stay in your breastmilk for quite a while.
    I hope tonight is a better night for you all. The head comforter you've got will probably make him feel more secure and cuddly in bed.

I have both girls in bed now, so I'm off to have a milo as I'm craving one.

Hi ladies I just wanted to introduce myself, i know a few of you but thought i'd say hi to everyone. My boy Joseph was born on 15 May after an induction due to poor obstetric history, this is my second time round but first introduction to parenting. I look forward to getting to know you all and hoping you can help with any questions I have. Just wanted to say a huge congratulations to all on the arrivals of your precious little ones.

Welcome Klee and congratulations on the safe arrival of Joseph.

Laranna - yay on cot sleeping. They look so small in their cots don't they. Elena is sleeping in a cradle next to my bed at the moment and even in that she looks tiny. Amazing though when I see Isabelle looking into her cradle and thinking it was only 12 months ago that she was the one looking so tiny in it!

Jodi - great to hear that Nina is so accepting of Emily. Izzy is very interested in Elena but at the moment she's just too little to understand she's not a dolly to bash around the head! There have been some beautiful moments though when she has been so gentle and cuddled up to her tiny sister.

We're going really well at the moment. Feeds have gone from 1.5 hours to pretty regular 3 hourly, and occasionally at night I'm getting a 4 odd hour feed break. The only downside at the moment is that we all have colods, including poor little Eli. She's struggling with breathing and feeding at the same time so feeds are a bit longer than normal. Still, good excuse to camp out on the couch and the only silver lining to Izzy being sick too is that she's happier to snuggle than play.

Anyway, its lunch time so I'd better get Iz organised before DH comes in expecting to be fed!

Great to see you here klee! Wonderful news you're settling in well with Joey.

lulu - Emily has a cold too, poor little thing. I'm trying the vaporisers and a nasal spray thingy which is suitable for newborns. Hopefully it clears up soon.

Our night wasn't as good as previous nights. I had both girls unsettled at 11pm, and DH was sound asleep, snoring his head off, and I couldn't wake him! So I had to try and settle them both at the same time. It didn't really work, so in the end I had to ignore Nina and feed Emily. Otherwise Nina would have gotten more distressed that Emily was crying! But by the time Emily had finished her feed, Nina had gone back to sleep. Then at 2am Emily woke up ready to play I finally got DH awake (it was 4.30 at this stage!) and he took over and got Emily back to sleep. I was certainly tired today though.
    Both girls are asleep now though, which is nice for me. I'm having some time out. I couldn't sleep, so playing on the net instead.

hi all,

my baby tyler james was born on the 6 may 2008 but wasnt meant to be due till the 16th of may but was born by c section due to being highly breached. Tyler was born at 4pm weighing 3060kilos my baby didnt have the best start in life as he was in special care from the time he was born. I did know he was going to be in special care after being born because i am diabetic and they had to check his sugars but it ended up that he had to stay there longer due to have a lump on his head which they doctors didnt know why when born. the next day he was rushed to wesmead newborn instenisve care unit in intensive due to him not being able to breath probably there he was put in a hebby crib and put on alots of machines and drips to breath he was also under a blue light for having janitice as well for most day he was only laying on his stomick because he couldnt breath on this back and being feed by a tube because he could suck and breath at the same time. Tyler wasnt giving up though he was fighting hard my little boy. Tyler spent a week and 2 days at the newborn intensive care unit at westmead. It toke time for him to finally be able to breath better on his back and to be able to feed probably after getting stronger he was moved to westmead children hospital to do final test on why he had the lump on his head and why he had such difficults breathing they came to tell us tyler has Aperts syndrome which where bones in his scull have prematurally have fused togther causing his head to have the lump and his face features to sink which has caused him to have a small nose, chin and smaller air ways. He will have to have an operation on his head in six months time to unfuse the bones. but now he is been home for over a week and doing well feeding on his own drinking a big 150mls he is doing well, but just when we thought everything was getting better i got a call from the hospital to say he has whooping couch so where not quite out of everythink yet. but my boy is strong and fighting but its been an emotional experince for my family and my poor boy but hopefull things will start getting well.

congradutaltion to everyone on there new babies

Hi everyone...
    sounds like we have a mixture of smoother and rougher rides at the moment..anyone would think we are talking about newborns!!!
    My days are ok, DH went back to work this week so the juggling is interesting though i think it's easier with less cooks you know?
    Nights are very ordinary with Ava not liking her co t for some reason so I am up most nights for most of the night.. any suggestions?
    Sorry for the me post will try and catch up mor later.
    Lotsa love oxox

shaza - you've had a rough start with Tyler. I really hope things start going smoothly from now on. How is the whooping cough going?

shezabelle - What do you think she doesn't like about it? Is she wrapped? Is she a back or side sleeper? Does she need to be rocked or patted to sleep? Or does she just like mummy's cuddles When I'm not sure of something, I go through the list, and tick off one by one when it does/doesn't work. If I think of more things, I'll suggest them. It's hard trying to remember what to do with a newborn isn't it. I'm used to a toddler now, so whenever Emily is unsettled, or crying, I'm like 'well, what do you want'. At least with Nina, she can tell me what she wants.

Shaza - wow. You and your little man really have had a nasty introduction to the whole mummy/baby thing. Fingers crossed things even out for you now and you can both enjoy Tyler being in the big wide world.

Shezabelle - I'm with you on the fewer cooks thing. My DH hasn't taken any official time off since Elena was born but he works from home so he is always hovering. I find it funny that he spends half his time apologising for not being downstairs with me if he hears one of the girls upset, or if he has to work a bit late but he doesn't seem to have a problem going off to golf and leaving me alone each Saturday! Men. Can't win with them.

Jodi - I agree with you completely about the toddler/newborn thing. Izzy can't talk yet but she makes it pretty clear what's wrong. Nothing like starting over again with the confusion of a newborn. How's Emily's cold going? Did you get a better night's sleep?

Elena is still struggling. I'm heading out to buy a vaporiser today because nothing else seems to be working for her.

lulu - definitely suggest the vapouriser! It's helped with Emily, and always helps whenever Nina starts coming down with something as well.
    Our night last night was alright. Except we went to mum's for dinner, and Emily was really unsettled afterwards. I ended up having to leave the room and getting DH to settle her, as she just wanted to suck, not really feed, and after 2 hours of that, it was driving me insane. It only took DH 10 min to settle her though! gggrrrrr! She's not a fan of going out in the late afternoon/night ATM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast