Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 1-15 2008

Hi all,
    just popping in while I've got a few spare minutes of peace in the house. Have managed to get Macey & DS both off to sleep at same time so the place is lovely and quiet.

Have been popping in most days to catch up on posts but haven't had time to post anything myself. Gald to see that everyone is doing well. macey is going well and sill feeding like a train. She put on 350gm last week alone so health nurse is happy too.

She is a pretty cruisy bub compared to what DS was, but think that our bout of sleep thru's might have gone AWOL for now. Was nice for the few nights it lasted anyway. Night feeds have been going from 8:30-11pm constantly nibbling then normally goes thru to 3:30am and then not again till 7:30-8am-ish which isn't too bad. Am trying to feed duringt he day at least every 3hrs to keep her topped up. Last few nights though, shes been bit unsettled after 3:30am feed. Hiccups seem to get the better of her and really gives her (& me) the shi*s int he middle of the night.

Have had DS (16mo) sick with a throat infection so last night was the first night ina week that he had slept thru- got onto antibiotics and seems to be getting better now.

Also thought I'd be good to DH this morning and finally DTD after a 3 week wait. Definitley wasn't anything special but was good to have it over and done with for the first time again. Probably would have done it sooner as I recovered really quickly but we haven't been able to coordinate us being alone together for long enough at a time. He'd go to bed early and I'd be up feeding then he gets up with DS int e mornings and I get to lay in bed for longer. The logistics of the whole drama are much harder with 2 kiddies in the house now thats for sure!

Ok had better go and vaccuum while I have the chance as the house looks like bomb has hit it.

ok so not sure why last post has doubled up- think there may be agremlin in the comp!

We had a fantasic night last night We changed Emily's routine a little. Instead of bathing her at 7.30/8pm'ish we bathed her at 6pm, and that settled her much better. She usually stays awake for a couple of hours after her bath, we she did, and I had both girls in bed asleep by 8.15pm!! Emily only woke at midnight for a feed, then slept till 7.30, when Nina also woke up. So I feel great this morning.
    Poor Nina though was a little sick last night with a cold and cough, but DH attends to her during the night, so it didn't bother me too much

beck - that's a great weight gain for Macey! I too try and feed Emily every 3 hours during the day to keep her topped up. It seems to have worked as she's now waking roughly every 3 hours on her own. And she hates having the hiccups. She'll never settle when she has them. They never bothered Nina. I hope Harry's throat infection clears up quickly. They should now that he's on AB.

I thought you were meant to wait 6wks to DTD? I am ready too and of course so is DH but I have told him we have to wait 6wks. Am I mistaken?

Jodi - glad you had such a good night. Hopefully its a sign of things to come for you.

Kristale - I thought so too but when I went for my 6 week check up after my first bub my OB was amazed we hadn't DTD'd already. I think its one of those things that is very much a personal thing - both emotionally and physically. I think the infection thing Jodi was talking about is when you still have lochia?

Rebekah - we're the same with schedules out of whack and DTD. DH and I go to bed at the same time but I usually feed Elena in bed and by the time I'm done DH is asleep. Then he gets up for Izzy in the morning while I try and grab another hour's sleep. And I'm just too damn tired! I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly for your DS. Horrible when they're so little and not well.

Hi to everyone else. Had a very teary day today. Elena has refused to settle for most of the day and Izzy has been very clingy. One mummy, two needy babies and it has to end in tears- mostly mine! Days like today make me remember why I was so negative about having a second baby. I'm just so incredibly tired and know my feelings would vanish if I could just get a full night's sleep but that's not about to happen any time soon. I hope everyone else has had a better day.

kristale - I'm not sure about it either. After Nina, the dr never mentioned that we couldn't DTD, but this time round he did? I stopped bleeding about 3 days after I had Emily and feel great. All he mentioned was that there was a risk of infection, and I suppose the slim chance of me getting pg, considering we didn't use protection. Another oopsie!

lulu - it's hard when you have one of those days isn't it. Just remember that it will get better in time. It's still early days. That's great that your dh gets up to Izzy each morning to give you an extra hour or sleep. We too have found that quality time together is a thing of the past. We try to grab a cuddle, or even a kiss whenever we can though! I'm just so tired by the time we get to bed that I don't even want cuddles in bed, I just want sleep!!

lulu- sorry to hear you had a teary day yesterday. I can imagine it must be hard with two when they both want your attention. I hope you feel better today.
    We went to our first mothers group yesterday which was really great lots of nice Mums who live in my area. We also did our first grocery shop on our own so we had a very busy day and I was exhausted by 1pm when we got home.
    Today we will just stay at home and recover.

lulu am sorry to hear you had a teary day yesterday...however I am glad you shared because I have been feeling the same and it is nice to know I'm not the only one...

We went to the child health nurse today to get weighed in and DS is still not past his birth weight. He did lose more than 10% after the birth and he is now just 45grams away from getting back to the birth weight. So feeling a bit inadequate that maybe I am not giving him enough? The nurse suggested I feed him from both sides every time and express afterwards to increase my supply. He is still feeding every 2-3 hours and has plenty of wet nappies. It is just so frustrating. He goes back in a week to get weighed again and if he hasn't put on 150grams then the nurse is going to refer me to a lactation consultant.

laranna - I feel for you with regards to the lack of weight gain. I had this issue when Nina was a baby. She lost over 10% of her birthweight in hospital, then took a good 3 or so weeks to reach her birth weight. I also was told to feed both sides, express, etc etc. But Nina was only a one side feeder, and at the time I couldn't express much. Plus I was a nervous wreck as I was worried I wasn't producing enough. It wasn't until I started to relax about the whole situation and gave it time, that things picked up. Once she reached her birth weight, the weight gain just piled on, and I didn't need to worry about it after that.

Emily has suddenly 'woken up' now. Nina was 3 weeks old when she suddenly woke up, so I was expecting this. Emily has hardly slept at all today, and been a very cranky girl. I was planning on giving the house a good clean out today while Nina was at daycare, but I only managed to do the floors aaah well, another day maybe. The mess will still be there tomorrow.

Jodi - oh for a second (or third) pair of hands!! I've survived those long wakeful patches by having Elena in a sling a lot of the time so I can still play with Izzy. I'd tossed up putting Iz into daycare before Elena was born so I'd have at least a day or two with just one baby but didn't do it - didn't want her to think she was being sent away because we had a new baby and because she seemed liek such a tiny baby herself. Now I'm regretting it though! How often does Nina go to daycare?

Laranna - Isabelle was very slow at putting weight on too. Even now she is only in the 20th to 25th percentile. I really wouldn't worry about it too much - wet and pooey nappies are a great indication that Joshua is doing just fine. Where did you give birth? I only ask because I had to go to a lactation consultant last week, and the service that SJOG provides was brilliant.

I'm not having the best day again. My gran passed away last night so its all a bit sad today. I think the girls must be picking up on my mood because they're both quite clingy and grizzly.

laranna- I was also advised to express after each feed to increase my supply and it seemed to help. Although it can exhausting after you have BF for an hour. Hopefully things improve for you.

lulu - I gave birth at Mercy...I am so sorry to hear about your gran

thanks kristale, it is definitely exhausting when he's feeding every 2 hours. Only gives me an hour before his next feed.

I've managed to express 35 and 20 mls after the last 2 feeds today...have no idea if this is too much or too little and I'm wondering if i should give it to him as a top up, scared to give it to him in a bottle because I don't want him to mess up his suck.

lulu - I'm sorry to hear about your gran. May she RIP.
    Nina goes to daycare twice a week. She's been going since she was about 6 months old as I was working part time then, and finished up a few months ago. She loves it, and it's fantastic to have some Nina-free time.
    Sorry to hear you've had another awful day. It's hard when you're mourning the death of someone close to you at the same time.

laranna - I think that is a good start, considering your milk supply is still settling down (it takes about 6 weeks before your milk settles down). Just make sure it doesn't drain you too much though. As already mentioned, expressing is extremely exhausting. I expressed full time for 6 weeks when I went back to work when Nina was 6 months old. I was an absolute wreck from doing it though. And a good point you mention about nipple/bottle confusion. Saying all this though, I don't want to scare you off or anything. I know you need to do whatever you can so your little man can gain weight.

Lulu- Sorry to hear about your Gran. My thoughts are with you.

Laranna- Amelie was given bottles of formula since day 4 as my milk hadnt come in and she did not get confused at all. We also continued to give her one bottle of expressed milk a day without any problems. She is now FF but this is not due to attachment problems or confusion. Not saying it wont happen but it didnt with us.

Lulu sorry to hear about your nan. Hugs and thoughts are with you and all your family.. feel free to talk and let it out when ever u need too.

Tyler is doing better now but having bad reflux does anyone else babies having reflux and if so how bad and does anyone having any solutions to carm it down abit.

Lulu so sorry to hear about your Gran i know how it can totally drain your emotions. I lost both my nans when i wa pregnant with two of my bubs and it hits very hard, evn worse in your case as you have two bubs who need you. I truly feel for you, wish i could offer some help but as i live over this side of the world i can only give you
    It can be hard with two littlies at times hey. I thought i had it easy because i have older ones to help, but the more i think about this the more i think they are worse!!!! I love the time through the day when its just the two littlies and I at home. Least they don't fight! Mitchie absolutely loves Molly, he has taken to carrying one of the girls baby doll around now when Molly is asleep, as he knows he can have cuddles when she is awake but thats it. HE is very gentle which really surprised us, we were expecting him to be the way you described Izzy, with trying to de limb her! I had a bit of a chuckle when i read your post about that! Does Izzy have a doll that she pretends with? Mitchie even puts his (well his sisters) doll in the capsule when Molly gets out of it when we get home!
    I hope you are feeling a bit better tomorrow....

Jodi wow at DTD so soon! Unfortunately for my DH i tend to bleed for much longer than you! In fact i still am even now (sorry for TMI). So he hasnt got lucky yet, i swore i would never want it again, but as each day goes by i am starting to get those urges more and more! Haven't told DH though! Molly seems to be having much more awake time in the last 2 dys also! Alwyas from the 5pm or 6pm feed until her last feed at 9or 10pm then she sleeps well.

Laranna i understand the whole breast bottle confusion, some babies dont seem to convert very well where others have no dramas. But ido know you can get a teat that is supposed to be like a nipple, there are two brands that do them one is Tommee Tippee i think but you will find them in the chemist and even Woolworths, so maybe try that as it would be great for him to have that extra top up and hey no point wasting perfectly good BM! I must say though when i used to do EBM bottle feeds before those teeets came out ( i personally have not tried these teets as yet) i just used nuk teets and the last 3 bubs i have used avent teets when i have expressed so Dh could do a feed or two! Anyway they are some other options that you could try. Good luck and and jsut try not to stress too much like you say Joshua is still weeing and poohing plenty so he is obviously doing ok!

Kristale sounds like the mothers group went well, thats awesome that you will be able to go through the experiences with other mums (well apart from us online of course)! I had a few friends here who had bubs the same age as Mitchie and some more we met through swimming and school and i found it great being able to go through and share those experiences with others who were in the same place as me! I bet you were knackered sounds like you had a huge day, and all before 1pm!!!!

Beckstar how you going? Is DS getting better now? Thats great that DD is a cruisy bub, i find the more you have the better they are. That might be because we are more relaxed the more we have too. Well i am definately NOT letting my DH on here he would be sooo jealous that everyone elses DH are getting it when he isnt!

Shazza sorry to hear about Tyler having reflux, my doc just recommended keeping bub up over shoulder for 20mins after feeds for milk to settle in belly. It seems to be helping with Molly, I know they say to try smaller feeds and jsut give them more frequently. So if he BF just dont allow him to have as long on each side but then reduce his hours to 3hrly if they were 4hrly, or offer one side and then hold bub up for 20mins over shoulder and then offer 2nd side, this is what i do. Hope this of some help. I think Lulus first bub Izzy wa refluxy from memory (is that right Lulu?). Anyway good luck

Hi to everyone else

Well as i said earlier Molly has been having more awake time, and i had to take her to docs yesterday as she kept gagging and choking,. I thought it was mucus running down back of her throat but she didnt sounds snuffly. Anyway doc said she may be a bit refluxy as well as a bit of mucus. Well after being at docs she started getting snuffly, although i have found she is not as pukey if i keep her elevated for 20mins after feeds too so maybe a bit of both, not sure but time will tell. Hopefully if she is refluxy we can jsut control it with the elevation time so she doesnt have to have anything else, i much prefer natural methods to any sort of drugs if we can do it that way! Anywya i took her to CHN today to get weighed and apparantly i have a little porky pig!!!!
    She is now just over 4.2kg or 9lb4oz and put on 420gms in two weeks! I told CHN that was it i was gonna starve her so she didnt get fat! Lucky i been going to this CHN since my 11yr old was born so she didnt take me seriously! She jsut laughed and said dont you dare i actually had one in today who had been doing that! I was so shocked, although i had a friend who did this also! I dont know how they could deprive their bubbas to be honest! My bubba loves her booby so their aint no depriving her!.
    Oh yeah and also last night after her being awake from 6:30pm until 11:30pm feeding at 10:30pm she slept until 6:30pm! So i had my first 8hr gap between feeds! Woohoo woohoo, tonight she has done the same playing up all evening, although DH is home tonight so i at least get abreak (he was on night shift last night which made it very difficult) so hopefully she will have another big sleep tonight!! I may be asking too much though .
    Ok i have rambled long. Take care and rest when you can
    Last edited by Katstribe; June 4th, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Missed shazza's post !

Just popped in to say that I am sorry to hear about your nan Lulu, sending big your way.

shaza - sorry, no advice for you, but hopefully kat's advice will help Tyler.

kat - Molly's weight gain is fantastic. I think Emily is around 5kg now. She was 4.2kg at 11 days, and is such a little piggy too. Loves her booby! She's fitting in 000 size clothing really well now. I'd rather Emily be chubby than skinny. Nina was always long and skinny, and it made things awkward, trying to find clothes to fit etc.

We had a fantastic night last night. She fed and 6pm, then went to sleep. Woke at 2am for a feed, then back to sleep. Then woke at 8am Nina woke at 8am as well, so I got a nice sleep in. I was up since 4am yesterday morning, so was a little tired last night. And she loves to sleep in her bed, rather than the bouncer or anything. She prefers being wrapped as well. I'm not sure if that will be a bad thing down the track or not, her preferring her bed to sleep. Aaahh well, we'll come to that later I suppose.
    Well speak of the devil, she's awake and wants some attention. Have a good day.

sharon - hi sharon, how are things going with you?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast