Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Babies Born May 16th - 31st 2008

Nana - I would recommend you see your GP - mastitis is an infection and you may need antibiotics if it doesn't resolve itself. Good luck!

With all the talk of upset and stroppy babies - thought I would mention something the pedeatrician said to me at the girls' 6 week check up. He said he thinks most babies seem to go through an unsettled, cranky period from 4-6 weeks and that they have usually settled down by 8 weeks. Since my girls were 2.5 weeks early, he suggested that I might find they get cranky from about 6-8 weeks and won't be settled until 10 weeks or so.

Anyway, something to think about. At least, according to him, it only lasts a short time and soon all the bubs will be settling down and getting calmer! I definitely remember Eleanor had a few rough weeks at about this age so it kind of makes sense to me.

Anyway, hope everyone has a better night.

As for us - sorry I'm not such a regular poster - but I am so busy!! It seems like the babies take it in turns to be unsettled and in between laundry, preparing dinner and keeping the kids happy, I'm lucky if I get to sit at the computer long enough to pay my bills! As for the housework... I just try to shut my eyes!! LOL

Yes i have been told the same i only posted all that stuff for jess not to freak everyone else out. I was told that when bubs is about 6 week they go through a growth spurt and your milk supply is not enough for them so they will won't to feed more often to help build up your supply. When cody had colic is was everynight like clock work. Good luck girls and sorry if i freaked you all out.

Nikki

It seems to have been the night for unsettled baby's. Hamish started off ok, but at 1am he woke for a feed and wouldnt settle until 3.30 when i put him in bed with us as a last resort.
    Nana poor thing, i recommend you see your doc aswell, my sil had mastitis and she was on antibiotics.
    hanna i was told exact same thing today about being unsettled around this time for a few weeks, well hamish is not 4 weeks until tomorrow and he has been like this for a week or more so i hope it doesn't last much longer.

We went to maternal health nurse today and wow he has put on 550g in 2 weeks now weighing 9 pound 12, so obviously he is getting enough milk which was my major concern with his grunting and groaning whilst feeding.
    'Gtg he is crying will be back later.

Gosh... this is like the 10th time i have tried to post on here... everytime i sit down for a break Tiahna cries, have to feed, laundry finishes, Jordan is hungry or thursty and wants something or is being naughty or getting into mischief.

Must have been the night for it last night... I got hardly any sleep at all... Tiahna feed at 7.30 fine (usually her grumpy time) went to sleep, woke up for a feed at 9.30 got her to sleep by 10.30 but as soon as i put her down she woke up and would not settle at all... finally 11.30 -11.45 she feel asleep but woke up at 1.30 fed then same every hour after she went back to sleep... in the end her longest sleep was from 5.30-7am... i'm so tired... DP is on night shift so after lunch he went off to bed luckily Tiahna slept for 3 hours and jordan had a nap for an hour also from 2.30-5.30 and i got the washing done and hung out on the airer- too late to hang it out the back with the dogs. (it'd be gone by morning... lol) slack dinner tonight.... i just made myself and jordan toasted sandwiches... hoping to get jordan bathed soon and back to bed for an early night so i can get a rest at least before Tiahna gets stroppy....

She's sleeping now but wonder how long for???

LMK- thanks for the info on colic... have been doing some reading on the net also (while feeding Tiahna) she doesnt seem to scream for 3 hours but all other signs point to colic... she seems to be comforted by me holding her upright for little while then she cries and her legs go again then i calm her with a little rocking or slightly bouncing or patting her back but it can last for hours doing this...

lismith-
    Emma is having similar boob issues, in her case its definietly a comfort thing but she refuses the dummy and is now point blank refusing the bottle. I am getting tougher with her though, as soon as she falls a sleep on the boob now i put her down, i was just sitting there, stupidly.

But she still hysterically cries before she passes out, we have her down to 10mins now but it really upsets me.
    your post sounds like what were going through... i'm glad its not just one or 2 of us having issues... seems there are a few of us going through the same thing...

nana- i had a sore boob today- quite an unusual pain but after a shower and a nice massage of my boob and also expressing some out under the water it feels heaps better.... not sure if it can help unblock the duct... i read that it happens from the boob not being emptied all the way??? not sure... i have started offering the last boob i fed from first instead of swapping it back at each feed...

hana- wow i envy you... having 2 sounds great and would be such a blessing but must be exhausting.... i also read something on the ABA site not sure if i can post the link its called the arsenic hour... give it a read... Australian Breastfeeding Association - The arsenic hour

Ab- i have a GP appointment friday for weight check.... fingers crossed Tiahna has gained weight like Hamish... thats an awesome weight gain... Also i found my son used to do the grunting thing but have noticed Tiahna isnt... she's already making the little cooing noises... maybe its a boy thing...

well I had the day from hell. Liam was unsettled all day didnt sleep for more than 1/2 hr at a time. Jordan refused to have a day sleep and was tired, grumpy and sooky all afternoon. Finally at 7.30pm they were both in bed and asleep so I could have some ME time. I have been up and going since 6.30am so feel I need to clock off.
    Playgroup tomorrow so lets hope this tires Jordan out so he will sleep in the arvo. As much as I love him I do need a little break from "playing cars in his room".
    Tyring to organise DHs 30th bday present, thinking of spending the night in the city just the 2 of us and seeing a show. ALready organised MIL to have the boys so now need to decide what to see and where to stay.
    hope you all get a better night sleep tonight.

Well last night was better for us. Hamish fed at 9pm and fussed on and off until around 10.30 then we both went to bed. Dp fed him his bottle around 11.30 (i was sleeping totally exhausted), he woke at 4 i fed burped and changed him he was back in bed at 4.45 then woke at 8 and i have just fed him and he is having a lay on floor with mobile. Hopefully i can get some housework done as the place looks like a bomb hit as i havent had much time. Hope everyone else has a better night.

Well my evening started out as the night from HELL.... She is definatley starting to show more and more signs of colic... Her 9.30 feed was a nitemare... She used to be stroppy at the 6.30 feed but has moved til the next one.

I fed her, burped, changed and fed other side and after that she just SCREAMED and SCREAMED for hours... NOthing i did could console her... tried every dummy, a bottle, rocking, pram, bath, gave her the infants friend stuff... tried massage, found that lifting her legs up work for few minutes... DH was on nite shift... jordan wouldnt go to sleep... but finally i put jordan to bed and told him to stay there... (this is like 11pm, he had a day sleep and i paid for it... ) After almost 3 hours i was going crazy- her screaming was breaking my heart and getting in my head... I was getting frustrated not knowing how to help or what to do...

By midnight i put her back on the boob and she finally decided to suck. she started getting sleepy (i would too after a 3 hour screaming match) took her ages to fall asleep and i think i was a bit scared to put her down to soon... by 12.20 i decided she was asleep well enough to move to the pram- she hates the basinette ATM.

DH got home at 1.20am- woke me up as i told him i'd open the door... luckily we didnt wake her up... and thankfully she slept till 5.30... then fed her she went to sleep til 7.45 now i have fed her changed her and fed again and she's just crying in the rocker as she wants to be held... I'm trying to break the habbit so i'm letting her cry for a while... also trying to keep her awake more during the day...

Abb- glad you had a better night... I'm with you on the housework... its driving me crazy but i can only do what i can do...

deancey- i know the feling of needing to "clock off" i feel like i'm on the job 24/7 ATM... your night out for DH's b'day sounds great... wish i could organise something for my B'day coming up... but i wont leave Tiahna with my MIL just yet,... My DS didnt stay over or with anyone til he was 1... i'm protective i guess... its not that i dont trust her i'm just a sook and dont like being away from my babies... heaven knows how i'll cope with the return to work in dec... My little princess will only be 7 months... ARRRRGGGHH DS didnt go til he was 2... lol

Having a shocker here, hence the lack of posts. Zander has a really bad cold & as of about 6pm last night Juliette has got it as well. Aaron has it too, so I'm the only one spared so far.

sarah- same thing happened here...jordan gota cold from preschool and gave it ti Tiahna when she was 2 weeks old... DP got it aswell.... worst part in jordan and DP are over it and poor Tiahna still has it.. Hop everyone gets better soon...

oooohh what fun we're all having!! Now I know why some cultures let women have a lie-in for at least 40 days after having a baby! why don't we do that here??? at least things should settle down a bit in the coming weeks for everyone, and that's a good thing.
    Aadi just doesn't sleep during the day. I think that's a bit unusual for a baby 1 month old, but what would I know? He's not unsettled or crying unless I put him down, so the ring-slings get a workout. I made 2, coz one's always in the wash with all the milk he spits up... my back muscles are getting stronger all the time! He'll snooze for a little bit in the sling, but never for long. Such stamina!

The mastitis is clearing up, which is a huge relief. I hate feeling that crappy, especially because Aadi picks up on it and seems miserable as well. I took a hot bath (such a luxury, even for 5 minutes!) and leaned forward in the water and massaged until the lumps weren't so bad. I changed how I fed Aadi on that side, and tucked him up under my arm and propped him on a pile of pillows. It's worked really well, especially for getting him to have longer feeds, but he does tend to fall asleep on the nipple (and still doesn't finish the feed). I hate having to wake him up to burp him, but he'll only wake up screaming and spewing 10 minutes later if I don't. I think I'll have to use the pump to express after a feed from now on, because there's so much milk that Aadi can't finish it! Just to minimise the risk of a blockage or infection.
    OK, off to the MCH nurse now for the 4 week check-up. See how much this little chubby bubby has grown!
    Hope you all get some rest today, and last night was bearable!

Hey girls, just popping in to say hi I see a lot of familiar faces from the belly buddies. I've been checking up every now and then to see how you are all going. I almost made it in this thread, but Emily was a day early.
    To all those that have colic, reflux, mastitis issues, and those going through the awful arsenic hour/s, a big to you all. I know it's hard, but hang in there. It does get better, I promise!

Well appears we all had a day we would rather forget so lets hope today is better for everyone.
    It has started out good for me so far (touch wood). We woke up just before 7am (Liam 1st then Jordan). We went to playgroup which was nice as the other ladies had a cuddle with Liam whilst I played with Jordan and had a chat with other mums, a little rest for me. Liam went to bed with little hassle after coming home from playgroup and Jordan is in bed also (YEAH). Hoping I get a few hours to myself today.
    Nana I am glad your boobs are getting better and you are feeling better also. It does make all the difference when you start to feel yourself again.
    Jodi Nice to hear from you please pop in when you get a chance
    Jess SOrry to hear you had a bad night, I guess it didnt help you were on your own. Hats off to you though you sound as though you did a fantastic job getting everyone to bed.
    Sarah I hope you dont catch the cold and everyone gets better soon.

well better do something with my time I guess, got a line full of washing that needs to come in.... OH the joys.

Hi mummies,

Well we are back from the nurse Emma has gained 350g in 2 weeks so is sitting pretty at 3.5kg I dont know what that is in old school 7lbs maybe?? so she is still teeny tiny compared to Hamish and she has grown 3cm.So the boob is obviously agreeing with her

Yesterday was a shocker she broke me, dh came home found me in tears, her screaming, then he picked her up, got her a bottle, gave me a glass of wine and we had a calm evening and she only fed once at 3am. But i did get up a couple of times to make sure she was still breathing

Mecil - what you described is my daytime, feed, put her down, screams, pick her up, feed, put her down, screams etc

Sarah and Jess -Hope all the little sicklies are getting better.

Nana - glad your boobs are getting better

Im exhausted, i never thought i would be this tired and im not really doing anything

Lis xx
    Last edited by lismith25; June 26th, 2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: blonde moment

you know, I never thought I'd ever have anyone say that to me - about my boobs feeling better!! Funny... but nice!
    I went to the gp and got a prescription for antibiotics just in case it doesn't get completely better in a day or so.
    Aadi's visit to the MCH nurse went well, and he's putting on weight at a text-book-perfect rate of 210g a week, but I think it's all in his head! He's getting a big noggin... And the nurse was surprised at just how awake, aware and alert he is too. Maybe that's why his head's growing - too much awake-time and stimulation...

lis - not doing anything?? but by having a baby you're doing everything, and you deserve credit for it. You're allowed to be exhausted, and maintaining your sanity is not required!! good on your dh for helping out like that.

I hope everyone's happy and healthy tonight. gotta go - feeding at the keyboard again and Aadi's suddenly trying to pull my nipple off - OW!

Hey all. Sounds like we are all having similar problems. I suppose the lucky thing for DW and I is that we are on the tail end of this group and so have info on proven solutions from you guys before the problems present for us.

DD is being particularly contrary ATM. She slept well last night and then has stayed awake for most of the day today between feeds. I am worried that it means we are going to have a rough night tonight, but it could mean she sleeps for 5 hours at a time. We'll know soon enough.

Good luck to all for the next few days.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789