Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 16th - 31st 2008

HI guys

well yesterday we had my brothers wedding and the boys did so well. I fed Liam at 1before we left and he slept in the car on the way there and then had a bit of awake time before the ceremony. We then went home where I fed him again and then he slept again. We took him asleep to the reception and he fed whilst we were there and he fell straight back asleep. He then went 6 hrs in between feeds, I was so excited.
    Today he has been very good. We went out looking at cubby houses for the boys and he slept in the baby bjorn. We then went to nannas and he fed and slept there also.
    He resettled tonight in his cradle really easily. He is getting better at self settling which is good news.

I hope all bubs have a good night tonight. Sorry this is short but hubby wants the laptop so gotta make it short
    take care
    XX

Morning mummas,

Todays the start of the official first week back to work for my DP. He worked saturday but not yesterday so from today it will be a full week of work meaning my first week with the kids all alone.

Tiahna has been quite unsettled at night for the last few nights. nothing i do seems to settle her down. I have even tried resorting to a bottle feed but she wont take the bottle and spits out the formula everywhere. Am waiting for my breast pump to arrive to see if she's drink my milk from a bottle. I feed her change her then switch sides at night then she just cries and cries. I stated giving her "infants friend' for her colic and to help her as she seems to be in pain. Its not doing much except it makes her farts smell worse then normal... And thats bad.. they stink enough without it...

My son suffered from reflux so hoping the little spews are the start of this. i hate seeing my kids in pain and so unsettled. I ended up sleeping in the loungeroom with her in the rocker as it seems to be th only place she'll sleep for more then an hour. Also with her cold she cant breathe. i tried lifting up the bassinette mattress but the rocker seems to allow her to breathe easier. Ended up getting her to sleep at 11pm after trying since 9.45 then she woke up as soon as i put her down but luckily after she refused the bottle (as i had sore boobs from her sucking and not getting anything) i gave her the boob again and she had one little suck and went back to sleep.

She did well once she was asleep. woke up at 4.15 which was a great sleep for her. Had one side fell straight back asleep and didnt wake up again til 8.15. and now she's back asleep again. it just seems to be that last 2 feeds at night when she's most unsettled. Its like my boobs havent filled up with milk again but by morning there all full and she practically gets a milk shower if she spits out the nipple. it sprays everywhere. I dont understand why they fill up over night but not during the day???

Deancey- sounds like Liam is a gem, glad to hear you had a great day and that the boys were behaved.

goodmorning ladies

Jess thanks for adding me! Yeah abbie has a rash type thing on her face as well. It looks like a heat rash but the doc said it is milia which will just go awayon its own. Its nearly gone now she had it for about a week. Abbie was really unsettled last night but she will take formula so that helped in the end.

Deancy good to hear that your boys have been good for you at your brothers wedding. We are getting our kids a cubby for christmas. Its a great combined present for them which will give them hours of fun outside.

Abbie has been unsettled last night so i am going to drink soooooooo much water today to see if i can increase my milk supply over the next few days. Hopefully it works. Hope everyone else is going great and talk to you all soon

Nikki

Jess things are the same with hamish at the moment, for the last week or so he wont settle at night and just constantly wants to feed of me, although when i am feeding him he plays around and moans and groans not sucking properly so i take him off burp him, change him etc and then he just cries until i put him back on. This goes on for hours before i give up and give him a bottle. He drinks the bottle fine so i am wondering if my milk is low at night also but then i am also leaking like crazy in morning and he chokes when feeding from me as its flowing everywhere. It is very frustrating as he feeds fine during the day time. I am going to post about it in breastfeeding thread and see if someone has any answers.

HI Ladies

In regards to bubs wanting to suck/feed at night I had these issues with Jordan when he was a bubs. I was feeding him every hour as he woke and wanted to suck. I dont think its a supply issue at all rather than them needing a comfort suck. Have you tried a dummy? I used to hold it in Jordans mouth as he could never work out how to keep it in and he would fall off to sleep.
    As a BF mother I know when bubs is unsettled we always think its us that has something wrong ie. not enough milk or ate something that is upsetting bubs. I would keep the water intake up as this does help with supply however I would try the dummy to see if they sleep without a feed.

Liam had an unsettled night. I fed him at 10pm, he went 5 hrs from the last feed which was good. He then woke up 2 for a feed and then woke again at 4am. As he didnt need to be fed I ask DH to settle him. Liam did have dirty nappy but then DH bought him in for a BF as he couldnt settle him. He did fall asleep after a bit of a feed and then was up again at 7.30am. I held him off till 8am and then DH took him and Jordan to swimming lessons and they are still not home.
    I have been able to do the floors, a load of washing and mr sheen the house, I feel so productive.

LMK DH wants to hold off on the cubby till xmas also. I think it is a good combined pressie and it will assist in getting some of the BIG toy items out of the house. I hope Abbie is more settled for you today.

Jess good luck on your 1st day with the kids on your own. I found it a little daunting but I am sure you will do fine. Just remember you cant do everything and prioritise the important things.

well I better hang the washing out as I dont think it will do it itself.... take care

Hey deancy
    Abbie has a dummy and she will take a few sucks from it and then she will cry like she is hungry, I will see how she goes but i think it is my supply. If she keeps going like this tonight i will go to the clinic tomorrow and ask the midwife. Cody was a big comfort sucker and i really hope that she won't be.

Thanks Nikki

The MCH nurse told me a really neat little trick to check if bubs is hungry or not - just touch the corner of their mouth with your little fingertip. First one side, then the other, If they turn their head really quickly, chances are they're hungry. It's a lot easier than popping out the BBs (and squirting everywhere, as is the case with me!!) only to find that bubs isn't interested.
    I find if Aadi's unsettled and I just can't quickly figure out what it is that's bothering him, or he's worked himself up to the point where he's about to scream, I just let him suck on my little finger. I touch the soft part of my fingertip to his palate and it's like an off-switch! It's easier than a dummy for me, coz it wont fall out! And I can take it out after a minute or so when he's had a comfort-suck and drifted off to sleep, or at least calmed down enough to allow me to work out what's bothering him without me panicking! This is great for when we're out and he's in the sling and I can't get to a "parent's room" in a hurry. I'm resisting getting a dummy for him, if I can help it. I just want to avoid it if I can, same as I haven't given him a bottle yet either.
    Right, off to hang out the washing as well!

Hi everyone...

Deancey- i have like 1/2 dozen or more dummies all different and she doesnt like any of them. the more i try to hold them in the more she screams. I heard that colicy babies get stroppy and unsettled at night ???

As for the being hungry she sucks on her hands like crazy and if searching for food. so to me she's hungry./.... also was told colicy babies will eat and eat as the sucking helps with the windy pain??? she wont take a dummy so maybe she just wants boob to suck on but she doesnt stop sucking until nothing comes out???

jordan had a dummy and loved it, Tiahna on the other hand wont suck any type of dummy, wont suck my finger butwill sick on her hands when she's hungry but gets cranky in like a few minutes. She did have a bottle a few times before my milk supply came through properly but now she wont suck on it at all...I won a breast pump on ebay... a dual cherub electric pump, i thought i could express and try her on a bottle with my milk to get her used to a bottle aswell as try to increase my supply. hoping something works... i enjoy breast feeding so much and dont want to stop anytime soon...

today went ok, got the washing done and the dishes but that was about it... this afternoon tiahna has been quite sooky and unsettled, still is grumpy. looking forward to tomorrow hoping for some sleep tonight

Jess good luck with the breastpump I hope it does increase your supply. Its good to have a bottle on standby whether it be EBM or formula so DH can help out also. I hope Tiahna settles ok tonight and congrats on your 1st day home alone with the kids.

Well Liam has been unsettled this evening. He woke at 4 for a feed. I fed him and then he did massive vomit. DH then gave him a bath about 5pm and he has only just fallen asleep after 2 more vomits. He hasnt been crying at all just lying awake and grunting etc. I hope he sleeps for a few hours before the next feed though.
    Jordan fell asleep eating his dinner tonight as he wouldnt go for day nap today. We are going to have to eat earlier when he doesnt have a day sleep as he never makes it thru tea, we eat about 6.30 so maybe have to bring it to 5.30-6.00.
    Hope you are all having a good night
    XX

Hi Everyone,

Just quick one from me tonight..... I've read all your posts and it seems like we're all going through a bit of the same thing ATM. Aidan has been grunting and moaning on the boob at certain times of the day too..... very frustrating. Aidan seems to do it most in the morn and for me I think its due to the high milk flow. I read in the Breasfeeding Assoc book that if your flow is very fast you can feed almost lying on your back. I've tried tipping back so the milk doesn't tend to squirt out as fast and that has seemed to help a little.

We're weighing tomorrow so I'll be back for some personals and hopefully some good news on the weigh in department.

I hope you all have a good night.

HI ladies

Abbie had a great night last night she slept from 8pm till 2am and then till8am. She still has a little rash on her face but it is fading. I can't believe how big she is getting already. She has grown out of a few of her clothes already. Also when i bought her home i put her in a tracksuit and it was massive on her so she could not wear it but now it fits her just perfect. What a little fatty she is.

Jess cody had colic and he would scream for 3 hours everynight starting at 6 and going till 9. It was like clock work, he would not take a dummy either. It lasted 3 months and after that he was the best baby. I tried all those infant friends and things like that and nothing worked for him we just had to wait till he grew out of it. Good luck and try everything and see if it will work for you.

I hope that everyone else is going well and have a lovely day.

Nikki

Morning mummas,

Well last night went... well i guess ok- i did get some sleep... Tiahna was unsettled once again. i fed her at 6.30pm after dinner and she was fussing about but finally she just got on with it and had a good feed did the usual feed burb etc etc but as its been for the last few days after were done instead of getting sleepy and snuggling down for a little nap she just gets stroppy, kicks her legs, arches her back.... really think its colic ATM... hoping we can give her something different to try soon... the infants friend isnt doing anything ATM... fed again at 9.30 and took me till 11.30 to get her to sleep after i gave her the boob again , was up for a feed at 2am then 5am then 8.

Anyone have any tips for colicy babies???

principessa- i have to lay back a little in the mornings aswell just to start off as the milk squirts out after 1 suck... doesnt last long for me though

I'm back to the docs on friday for our 4 week check up... cant believe how fast its going.... fingers crossed she's gained weight... she's still in '0000'

Deancey- my jordan used to be like that - no day sleep no dinner... it was the start of him not needing day sleeps anymore.... wish he'd have a nap though... could be a chance for me to nap during the day... i envy all of you first timers and mums with 2 close together.... it feels like i'm awake during the day and most of the night with no breaks ATM... cant wait for tiahna to get into a regular sleep pattern at night or better sleep through... YAY

LMK- Tiahna doesnt seem to scream for 3 hours- although i dont let her- i do what ever it takes to calm her down- even if that means popping her back on the boob... she screams inbetween, basically looks uncomfy- in pain, distressed. lips all blue like she has wind but i can try to get her to burp for 1/2 hour to an hour and nothing comes up... then eventually once i put her back on the boob i rub her tummy a little and she farts a few times once she's done that when i sit her up she'll burp... i've tried rubbing the tummy straight away but its like she still cant get rid of the wind... it takes forever for it to come out- either end...
    Last edited by Je$$_84; June 24th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.

Morning Everyone.
    Jess it sounds like she is colicy, my cousins baby was the same im not sure what she used with her but i know as somebody else said by 3 months she was settled and a great baby, i know that is probably no help to you now. I hope things get better for you.
    LovemyKids it sounds like Abbie is getting into a routine and sleeping great for you. I know what you mean about the clothes Hamish has grown out of a few outfits aswell, they grow too quick.
    principessa76 it seems there are a few of us with problems feeding at times, Hamish was only doing it at night time but yesterday he had two feeds during the day where he did the same so i am unsure what it is but it is frustrating thats for sure.
    deancey i hope liam slept better for you last night. It always confuses me when they vomit as to if they have had too much or drank to fast or have a pain as i never know whether to keep feeding as hamish is always hungry and never refuses the breast.

We had an ok night, fed at 11, 3.30 and 7.30, he was a little unsettled after 3.30 feed so i ended up putting him bed with us and he drifted off pretty much straight away although i didn't sleep very well as i am always a bit nervous when he is in our bed. We have health centre visit tomorrow and i cant wait to see how much he has grown in the 2 weeks as i can certainly tell by his clothes and his several chins lol he has put on weight.
    I will update after then. Have a good day everyone.

hey Jess i know how you feel. Cody would scream for 3 hours not cause i let him it would just take us that long to get him back to sleep. Here are some things that either i tried or people told me to try with cody. Have you tried a warm realaxation bath sometimes this will help bring up the wind. Some people take their bubs to a chiropractor and get bubs back cracked i never tried it i was too scared but its another option. I was also told to feed him upright to limit the amount of wind, Massage which you have been doing, Does Tiahna burp after being fed becasue even if you give her a massage after each feed or atleast a few times during the day may limit the amount of wind still there in the afternoon or night. I hope that something works for you i know how you feel. We could not go anywhere with cody for the first few months as he hated the car and he screamed at night. Good luck and if you need someone to talk to i am here.

Nikki

I found this for you jess and i thought it was really great

The first thing we need to say about colic is that there is no general agreement among the medical profession about how it is defined. Colic is a term that is often given to a healthy infant under three months of age, who is distressed. A colic infant isn't easily consoled and cries excessively, which often varies with good and bad days. Some colic infants cry all through the day, while others only cry in the afternoon, however the typical pattern of a colicky infant is one who cries increasingly throughout the day, but mostly in the early evening or late afternoon. It is a condition that varies in its severity, with some babies settling on being held, while others are inconsolable, (this occurs in about 20% of cases)

Infant colic is sometimes described as consisting of a colic attack, which usually happens once or twice a day, and lasts for one to two hours. Colic is not associated with illness or hunger, and is not relieved by feeding. Colic should also not be confused with wind. "Wind" usually meaning the bubble of air brought up during, or soon after a feed. With wind, the baby can be calmed by gentle burping and soothing. A colic infant may also often settle after burping or passing wind, but burping does not prevent colic. Failure to burp a baby does not cause colic.

Colic is a painful condition that usually peaks at around six weeks and stops around three months of age, although it can persist for up to five months. It includes a variety of symptoms ranging from the pulling up of legs, clenching of fists, tensing of abdomen, bloating, cramps, passing flatus, frequent loose bowel actions and crying.

Although the medical profession does not know what really causes colic, some believe it is due to an immaturity of the digestive system that develops as the baby grows. Based on this belief, some experts in colic have developed the following theories:

Intestinal spasm caused by wind getting trapped in the baby's intestines. Minute bubbles of air are swallowed during the feed, which cause pain and spasm further down the digestive tract in the intestines.
    Internal spasm caused by an immaturity of the digestive tract. Peristalsis or muscle contractions occur all along the the digestive tract. The contractions are repeated in waves to propal the food through our digestive system. It is thought that because the nerves of the intestine are not fully developed, the contractions become uncoordinated and spasmodic.
    Refer to related article on motility immaturity.

Lactose intolerance due to the baby having a deficiency of intestinal lactase to break down the amount of lactose in the feed, resulting in undigested lactose building up in the baby's intestines. Refer to our article on food intolerance and allergies, for further information.
    Cows milk protein intolerance thought to be due to a hypersensitivity to cow's milk protein. Recent research is indicating that this may account for a high proportion of colicky infants. Research has shown that these babies are reacting to the cow's milk protein in their mother's diet or in formula feeds. When the breastfeeding mothers removed all forms of dairy foods from their diets, or went to a dairy-free prescription formula such as Neocate, these babies's colic ceased. Around 50% of these babies have been found to be sensitive to soy protein as well.Refer to our section on food intolerance and allergies for further information. Colic is a symptom of cow's milk protein intolerance.
    Stress. For many years colic has been blamed on anxious, inexperienced parenting. There is absolutely nothing to support this theory!
    Baby's temperament. An active, awake, busy and tense baby is more likely, according to research, to have colic.
    Caffeine. Many mothers have said eating certain foods seem to make their baby's colicky; some babies are especially sensitive to caffeine. Try to eliminate any foods that you think are making your baby upset for a few days to see if there is an improvement. Potential problem foods include wheat, eggs, fish, peanuts, other nuts, chocolate, alcohol, citrus fruit, spices, cola and carbonated drinks in general.
    Gastro-oesophageal reflux. This is when the baby regurgitates the stomach acidic gastric contents back into the mouth or oesophageaous. Refer to our article on reflux for further information.

Spinal functional disturbance. Incorrect positioning of the spine, can interfere with the vagus nerve, which is involved with the workings of the digestive system. This is called a spinal functional disturbance, and can be rectified through a visit to a chiropractor who will apply slight pressure to correct the spines alighnment. Refer to our article on chiropractive treatments for more information.

IMPORTANT: Please see your doctor if you think your child has colic to rule out any other causes of the crying. Changing formulas is not a cure for colic, often only having a very temporary effect, and should only be done under the care of a medical practitioner. Breast milk remains to be the safest, least irritant and most nutritious diet for sensitive babies. Stopping breastfeeding is not a cure for colic and should only be done under the advice of a paediatric gastroenterologist. A paediatric gastroenterologist specialises in colic and may also be of assistance in better managing this condition.

NIkki

Wink

Hi ladies, wow you know I never knew what colic was very good article lmk thanks for posting it.

Emma is having similar boob issues, in her case its definietly a comfort thing but she refuses the dummy and is now point blank refusing the bottle. I am getting tougher with her though, as soon as she falls a sleep on the boob now i put her down, i was just sitting there, stupidly.

But she still hysterically cries before she passes out, we have her down to 10mins now but it really upsets me. I never thought i would let her cry for even that long but it was starting to destroy me. I really never thought it would be this hard at the beginning, but i cant wait till the smiles and giggles start.

Hve a good evening
    Lis xx

Well reading all the posts I am in the same boat!!

Last night was the worst night I have had. Zali was just so unsettled, I gave her the boob at 9pm she fed for 1hour using both sides, she drifted off, so I put her down but as soon as her head hit the cot she started screaming, so I picked her back up and it took DH & I till midnight to get her to resettle again after trying the dummy which seemed to make things worse, I had to give her a bottle at 10:30pm which did the trick, I put her down at midnight, she lasted 5mins, woke up screaming AGAIN! So I picked her up and then had to give her ANOTHER bottle to get her to settle again, I put her down at 1am and she slept till 5:00am THANK GOODNESS but when I changed her nappy she wet herself between the change so I had to change her completely which she hates and just screams at being naked! So I had 4 hours sleep as I did not get an afternoon nap in yesterday She woke again at 8:00am for another feed then lasted till 11:30am, but then wanted boob again (madly sucking on her hand dribble going everywhere) at 12:30pm. She seems so unsettled lately.... I hope it is not colic. She does tend to pass wind alot (every 10-20mins)

Does anyone elses bub pass wind so often?? and So loudly like big people do?? I had to convince my sister last night that it was bub who farted and not me because it was that loud

I think bub has me pegged... she knows that if she crys I will come and get her.... we live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so I don't want her to be screaming as the neighbours will complain.... I think I am going to have to care less of the neighbours as I can't get much done as she wants to be near me all the time when she is awake.

Anyway she is crying again so better go and see what is going on....

Cheers

Mecil

Yep, a shocking night for us too... but it's because I seem to have gotten myself a blocked milk duct, and it's started to turn into mastitis. Oh, the pain! I thought I was just getting tired and sore yesterday, and had a bit of a sore nipple, but when I went to feed Aadi I noticed there was a red, hot patch right next to the nipple and a hard lump. It felt like I was getting the flu, then I started getting feverish and had a terrible headache. Aadi wouldn't settle for hours, and was awake for ever, it seems. He finally slept from 11pm thru to 3:30, which is a record for him, but I was awake all night! Dammit!!
    Anyway, I'm expressing with the pump and feeding exclusively from the problem side, but it hurts like hell... panadol is helping a bit. Any suggestions??

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast