Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born May 2006 #25

Jodie259 Guest

When my doctor told me to get it, he said to say it was for allergies if the chemist asked. But the chemist never said anything. I asked for it, they gave it to me and said "it can make you drowsy" (hehehe - that was the idea!). The box gives dosages for Urticaria & Pruritus (had to google those ones) and Sedation - for Children (from 2yo) and adults.

I felt confident that Shauns doc knew what he was talking about because he is the Sleep School doctor, and highly recommended paediatric doctor. It did the trick for shaun. I'm not keen on drugging a child. And looking at my baby book; my mother dosed me up on valium (I was born in the 60's). I've used the Vallergan a few times in 4 months, and only for 1-3 days. It is also helpful when they are teething.

I respect everyone's choices with what they do with their own child. We all wish we had 'perfect babies'.... but so many of us have sleeping issues, feeding issues, and all manner of illnesses. You just want to do whats best for your baby. And from where I stand, a sleep deprived baby is not in their best interest. You can try the different techniques that people recommend... and eventually you find something that works. But if you don't try anything - you & baby may be sleep deprived for years...

damn... I had another question for everyone and I've forgotten it! I'll probably
    remember at 3am!!! thinking,,,, thinking,,,,, thinking,,,,,

I remember now..!!!!!!!!

Whats the deal with sterilising bottles? Some friends of mine stopped sterilising bottles/teats when their kids started crawling. Others say 12 months! For me it's a routine every night. Wash in hot soapy water, rinse, dry out then put in the microwave steriliser for 8 minutes. I must admit though - I haven't sterilised his dummies for about 6 months. I might rinse them off, but usually I pop them in my mouth for a minute then give it to him!

Who still sterilises? And what's the deal with 12 months?

Nope I don't sterilise either. Just soak and wash in hot soapy water. I figure if she's eating flies she doesn't need sterilised stuff.

Jodie, i wasn't having a go, honest. I totally agree with you. I should have gone to another chemist.

i still sterilise Ryans bottles i'd feel weird if i didn't it is just a routine now although he licks the floor on occassions so i probably could stop doing it

Thankyou Jodie I am trying valergan. I am at my wits end and have no problem drugging him LOL I agree with everything you have said about gentle parenting too, I think thats why we in may babies get on so well, we seem to have very similar parenting styles and ideas. I think its easier to gentle parent babies too and some people may get into hassles when their kids are older, I don't know how you gentle parent a teenager LOL. Anyway each to his own.
    Hey Jodie I just realised you and Yariv have an age gap like Daniel and I, I feel OK admitting it now LOL Sometimes I feel like people look at me strangely cause its the done thing to have the man older. It doesn't bother me in day to day life cause I don't even think about it.
    Riley slept with us last night cause he is sick and still woke up every 2 hours! I am going to take the rip to Dubbo very slowly today cause I haven't had enough sleep, heres hoping its a relaxing weekend.
    Erin is yelling for me, better go.

Drive Safe Christine!

Hey Nat tell me all about your cloth nappies.....

Jodie259 Guest

Wow... I have woken up this morning and read these posts and all I can say is .... PHEW !!!

It seems we have some REAL mums in may babies!!
    I don't know if you could tell... but I was really hesitant to mention sleep medication at first as I was waiting for the backlash from the gentle parent nazis. (sorry harsh word - but you know what I mean). I respect everyones parenting choices... but it seems a lot think it's their way or the highway.

So firstly - Thank You for your comments & support. I wasn't expecting it.

Kim: I didn't see you as having a go. Quite the opposite really. I just wanted to explain a bit further, and was aware that there were also "gentle parents" who can read these posts too.

Christine: good on you for the younger guy too! I must admit, most of my b/f's were younger - so it was no surprise that I married a younger one. But most people don't realise there is an age gap between us. I don't look 39, and he looks older than 32. He's had a pretty tough life in Israel, so he's fairly mature. But he has his moments! sometimes I've got two kids!!! But I wouldn't swap him for the world. And.. drive safely, and have a great holiday.

Thanks for the feedback about sterilizing. It has just become such a habit, that I continue to do it. But it would be a big relief if I was able to just wash the bottles. I could put them in the dishwasher. I could even continue to sterilise the teats only. That would save me heaps of time too. I think it's time I change my habit!

Well I thought Darcy wouldn't get teeth until she was about 5, today I can feel one has cut through....does tha mean she's got a tooth? And I knew I woudn't notice anything different if she was teething - she hasn't done a single thing out of the ordinary. Lol

Jodie259 Guest

If you can feel something really sharp in her gums, then yep - she's got a tooth. Over the next couple of weeks it will grow little by little and fully come out.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Shaun's second tooth came through about 8 days after his first one did. So don't be surprised if there are two toothy pegs in a week or so!!

Gentle Parent?......... I co-slept with Ryan in the early months but only if i had too. I give him massages and cuddles , I'm not keen on smacking any of my kids but i have been known to and like Vic will most probably have to doi it again . I don't believe in long term co-sleeping ( sometime that includes my ever loving husband as well ). I could breastfeed this time i couldn't with my last 2 kids so for me i say do what you feel is right for you and your baby and don't let any one make you feel like you are not doing the right things as Jodie said a happy mumma is a happy bubba I have been known to rock Ryan to get him to sleep, so that I can finally crawl into bed for some much needed sleep. "gentle parenting" ..... where can i find a defination to this because i feel every one of us is a gentle parent to some degree i know speaking for myself i'm just trying to have well rounded kids and no doubt i'll make mistakes along the way but i'm just a human being that doesn't have all the answers to lifes little mystery's so yep i think us may mummies do have similar parenting ideals

ok where are you all ?
    hope nothing i said offended anyone ... starting to worry here H..E..l.l.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.. any body out there

Nope not offended, just got home.

Jodie259 Guest

What does everyone do on a Friday & Saturday night?
    It's always a ghost town around here....

I must be toooo old - I'm nearly always home. In fact, it's one of the only nights I'm home!!

YOu're not too old. We don't do much either. We were at Mum's tonight and my sister's tomorrow, but Cam usually works so it's just us girls.

Been feeling very green these last few days.....

I am studying! At least I should be studying and stop lurking!

You girls have been chatterboxes today lol! Great conversation as well!

Who asked me about nappies lol? They are my latest craze hehe! The one in that picture is a Peapod which is a pocket nappy. Its pretty good though I've yet to have a pooey one yet lol. I only have the one nappy and I have another one on the way. My friend and I are researching them and her mum is gonna make them for us! Its all very exciting!

Okay I better get back to it as I have soooooo much to do its not funny and Im' working for 3 days!

Thanks again for those Drama Games Christine I really appreciate it!

Jodie: Yay for Shaun’s earnings….how did you get an agent etc? I’d love Jayden to do something like that……I think he’s cute enough LOL. Bugger that Yariv’s ride was only a half hour, that’s in a way false advertising isn’t it? I’ll keep clozole in mind too but this time I don’t it was thrush as the anti fungal we were using didn’t seem to have as quick a effect as last time. Some Friday nights we go out for dinner with friends but most Fridays we are home, I am too tired usually to get on the computer esp seen as I am on one all day at work.

Nat: How much is that cream? Its pretty much gone now but I suspect he’s going to go through it every time he is teething. YAY Em for clapping!!! How cute do they look doing it on their own? Jayden’s latest thing is making me clap hands, he does it then looks up at me and laughs. Does Em try to walk everywhere or does he crawl first and work up to the walk iykwim? My SIL(my bro’s wife not Chris’s side) is right into those nappies too, maybe a little overboard though as she is almost condemming the use of disposables. When we were in melb I went to put a nappy in her bin and she laughed and said “How funny that will be the 1st disposable nappy that has touched our bin in months” Umm and your point is what?? They look great though, I haven’t really seen them up here but I guess we’d be able to get off the net, my SIL was looking into making them aswell.

Christine: Poor Riley, hope he gets better soon!! How is Jess going? Is she still sick too? Drive safely and enjoy your weekend!!

Kim: How’s Darcy’s finger? It may not have happened long before you saw it, I wouldn’t feel bad. Jayden had his fingers stuck in between my sliding wardrobe doors a few days ago….I was in another room and I heard him but didn’t go rushing but when I did get there he was screaming and couldn’t move…..i felt a bit bad for not getting there quicker (not that I was too long either). Yay on Darcy’s tooth!! That’s great she hasn’t had any symtoms. Is there any babies left with no teeth yet? They say the longer it takes the better it is. Jayden cut his 1st tooth then by morning the second had just cut now you can see them easy.

Sara: Yay for Briley’s tooth!!! How is everything going with you? I don’t know how you and Nat can study with a baby and you with another on the way – well done supermum!!!

So who's having a 1yo birthday party?
    We are having a birthday party and I can’t wait haha. I think we are just having lunch in the botanic gardens that way I won’t have as much cleaning up and my house isn’t that big so I probably won’t fit all Chris’s family in haha. Who’s doing something special with the cake? I am hoping to do some practice cakes this weekend, first one I had in mind was a train…looks tough though haha

And anyone doing anything for Easter?
    We are meant to be going camping but I don’t want to go……I’m not great with the whole roughing it thing at the best of times but when we are camping 10 mins from my perfectly good bed, shower and toilet why would I bother? Plus we have to pay $20 for the non-powered site – its not the money I have a problem with but again why would I pay to use public disgusting shower and toilets and to sleep on the ground??

do you consider yourself a 'gentle parenting' person?

I co-slept when I had to in the early weeks/months, I also don’t agree with long term co-sleeping (how would Jayden get a little brother or sister??). I wanted to BF but struggled for nearly the entire 5 ˝ months that we did BF…I admire women who can BF for as long as they want however I have known of women still BF’ing when the kids are at school and I don’t see point or the benefit surly there is no nutritional benefit to them at that age (sorry I know it’s a touchy subject). In regards to BF’ing I think you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t, I had ppl saying to me “oh are you still BF’ing” and when I did stop “Oh so you’re not feeding anymore hmm” my favourite is one of my SIL’s, she loves to mention to is still BF’ing to me and making a point of how good that is for the child. (oops sorry went on a bit there). I don’t smack Jayden and I don’t want to start but in saying that Jayden is my 1st child and I have no idea what is in store for me LOL. I am probably not a gentle parent in the true sense of the word but Jayden is happy and healthy which makes me a good parent and that’s whats important.

Whats the deal with sterilising bottles?
    I still sterilize but I am so sick of doing it!! Every time I have seen the CHN I have asked about sterilizing bottles and dummies etc and she is adamant that sterilizing is a must up until they are 12mths old (she doesn’t have children herself though). Although I sterilize dummies, if I am somewhere where I can’t sterilize or I just don’t want to I suck on it too, however the CHN nearly had a fit when I said that saying there is so much bacteria in the mouth etc etc its not recommended and I said “and there isn’t bacteria on the ground when he is crawling and putting things in his mouth?” I still boil water too but he has had unboiled water a few times from SIL’s.

Something that happened on Monday is really getting on my nerves, it shouldn’t because it isn’t that bad I guess but its annoying me. I specifically went to SIL#1’s house on Sunday night to tell her to meet me at her mum’s so they can both look after Jayden, with his red raw bum I didn’t want MIL having to deal with it on her own since her heart attack…..she arrives there at 11am instead of 8am. I had told MIL not to give Jayden solids while he had the runs, I get there at lunch and they tell me how they gave him veges and its ok …….NO ITS NOT OK!! Whether I was right or wrong to take him off solids…I AM THE MOTHER , then SIL#1 says how he was eating pear…..Fruit is probably the worst thing you could give him. She said well he has to have his fruit and I said not while he has the runs he doesn’t!! What ever is right or wrong shouldn’t matter they should just respect what I say. Then today she came here to look after Jayden and she turns up at 8.25am (5mins before I start work) and all she said (to Jayden) was “oh Zia has to change her clock in the car hehehe”…..how about sorry didn’t mean to make you late for work?? OK I’ve had my whinge haha maybe I’ll get over it now hahaha

Sorry massive post from me again….who ever gets this far with my posts?

I get that far in your post tania ~ lol ~ to tell you the truth i wouldn't have been able to hold back on the inlaws for the total disrespect specially making you late for work that would have to be my biggest pet hate. hope jayden little butt is getting better

Kim ~ feeling green huh i'm thinking pitter patter pitter patter how exciting

ETA - how funny is that about Mel's birthday? I hope she has a lovely day today Happy Birthday Mel!! again!

OK I'm warning you all, this part of my post may be TMI, so skip to where it's not if you don't want to read......

Shazz, I'm still undecided. I went over the the TTC threads where they talk about charting etc, but I've been on the depo injections, which i found great, but have always had a small loss of old blood. I didn't have the last one which was due 10th march. I still have the small loss occassionally, even while I've been feeling off. I haven't had AF for yonks so i can't chart, but I thought I could feel O pains a while back. Haven't noticed a difference in CM or anything, so really don't know.
    I've heard it can take up to three years to fall after the depo injs, but all the same i fell straight away after I stopped taking the pill. Any thoughts?

OK it's fine after here.....

Tania I can't believe those women?!?! They're mum's themselves aren't they? How would they feel if you disrespected their wishes for their children??? I'm glad his bottom's getting better but his poor little system sounds like it needs the break you're trying to give him....and I always read your posts.

Nat it was me asking, I'm seriously thinking about it. Thanks.

Well the birthday party thing is soured all ready. I was telling mum and dad my plans last night, and my dad who is the NICEST person on earth and never says anything bad about anyone told me that he couldn't go to anything the ILs were at because when they tried to be nice at the christening they were ignored and they didn't want to be made to feel uncomfortable and be on separate sides when it should be happy. I am SO PI#))D that my stupid IL have made my parents feel uncomfortable and sad. I'm really angry about it. My parents have done nothing to them and only supported us, now the ILs fell great about themselves when they should be feeling bad for being idiots! The fact that they were so slyly 'ignorant' of my birthday makes my parents even more upset cos they know it was deliberate too. Wish I could have nothing to do with them. I've never had awful people in my life like that and I don't wish it for Darcy. I show them, they'll get invited to a sausage sizzle that will be really sad and they won't get to see her on her birthday....easy enough since Cam will be away - I'll share it with my family. How mean is that? I never have been vindictive or vengeful before - they're horrible people.

I'm going to make a number 1 and cover it with smarties I think. Seeing as now I have to make 2.

kim ~ i would be leaving them out of the celebrations all together what does Cam want to see happen ??

and totally possibel for your body to one of those the the depo works great for and when you stop it your body will be jerked back into action best of luck you know i'm not having any more babies so i have to share these things with you guys
    Last edited by ~shazz~; March 31st, 2007 at 12:54 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast