Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2006 #35

Chels vomited thru the night but seems better today....so we are still heading off for the weekend...i do feel bad but Craig and i both agreed we need to do it and IL's are the same...the girls will be ok

Vicky id still buy MCN.....maybe if only day time you wont need a great deal so want be a waste of money in the long run. I guess i have the advantage (as will the other ladies) because they can be 'hand me downs' for all my other kids. They can then be re-sold when Aston is out of nappies. Everyone will still buy them.

I bought some Pea pods 2nd hand...but TBH it was a mistake and i dont use them unless its an emergency...they leak!

I have about 6 for day time and sometimes i use sposies at night...if not i have my night ones too.

All up i have 20 nappies to do the girls but going to buy more very soon (cos the store is now been accepted to retail Bumgenius and Bubblebubs).

Have started Jas on MCN now too.. man she is a hunny in them

Gigi...ohhh id love for you to get a pic with Bilby and her new book. So glad she enjoys it

Glad things are looking up, Kim. Hope you guys get to go away, you deserve it!
    Blanche - have you tried the Brauer Teething Relief? I got some the other day and it seems to take the edge off the pain i think. it's got Belladonna in it which is a mild natural sedative.
    Vicky - thats a great idea about the MCN's. I probably should look into it now there'll be 2 bums in need of nappies! i just worry about the initial outlay...(any thoughts, guys?)
    Gigi - good idea about the flannels too (you must be the only person outside WA who calls them flannels! when i moved to QLD everyone was like 'a what?!?!' its called a washer LOL). Also about the no baby stuff..its amazing what crap goes into those products! quite scary what it can do to us, let alone babies. i like the smells tho LOL naughty mummy!
    Christy - how's things going? Praying for some good news for you

ohhhh Vicky I could loan you a few to trial and see how you go as well. Embarrasingly I have like 30 and always want more, bit addicted now. BUT Bumgenius are my favourite.

Kim, Ann, Jols, Nelly... I hope your sick bubs start recovering. Its so awful. Both girls have a chest cold atm, but its not too bad, no temps or anything.

Otherwise... life has been too crazy. Matilda's been a bit of a cow lately actually. Like today I made them sausage rolls for morning tea and told her to wait because they were just out of the oven & hot. She started tantruming over the wait, so then she wanted me to peel the skin off... lol she's weird I know and I was peeling the pastry off & it was too hot so I said wait 2 minutes and brought the egg timer over... well... the end of the world came to my house. So I got cranky & said fine I'll peel it and I burnt my finger.

Then I had a horrible mummy moment & shoved my finger in her face & said "See what your behaviour caused? Mummy got a burnt finger because of you" Then she collapsed in tears on the ground....

ARGH...

meanwhile Jovie is carrying on crying because she wants the sausage rolls too.

I'm so over it atm... I need a break.

Aw Christy i have them days... then i feel so so so bad for having a mental attack at poor Chels..which then sets off Jasmine then i get angry at her...argh... vicious cycle some days!

Well we are leaving soon... and im getting teary cos i wont see my girls for 2 days....some one tell me im over reacting!!!! I love my girls so much but i need a break from them...

Least they have Grandma and Grandpa to fuss over them....Chels loves G'ma cos she gives great baby massages! Puts her to sleep

Gigi, Christy and Jols......do u use liners in ur nappies? I have been using the flushables and it seems to be giving the girls some kinda rash.....?

Kim you are totally over reacting but any mother would. Its hard to leave our babies, but it is a necesity

I don't use liners with microfibre nappies like bumG, but I do for my baby behinds hemp and I use microfibre unless she has a rash.

mummy meltdown moments are horrid aren't they? been having a few of those myself lately. but after my epiphany on Monday - perspective is changing, so its nice to feel a little calmer then I have been. I'm soooo sorry I have been so flat ladies. life has been a bit overwhelming of late, but I am feeling better.

Kim - have a wonderful weekend away hun... be kind to yourself darlin, mothering is the hardest job in the world I have ever done. and one that I have to constantly change and adapt.. i had no good role model, so had to Learn how to do this mothering thing.... some people are lucky, and have a brilliant role model to pull from, others are like me, and have to look for them. And thankfully along my mothering journey of now 12 years (EEKK!!! that long!! feeling very old now.... ) i have been blessed with people in my life that have been good models, and I have learnt a tremendous amount from them. and even then - its still bloody hard! I love my kids tremendously, deeply, truly... and have learnt more from them then anyone else in my life.

and thanks for your answer about MCN's.. now the next question is how many should I get????

Christy - i will give you a ring to talk about the MCN's... if that's ok. have you checked out that web site?

gigi - there was a suggestion with wipes that I found, which I liked - but I like you idea too... think I might give that one a go first, and see how it goes, because that is even a bigger money saver then my idea... (rubs hands together with glee)... its so funny, now that I am looking really really looking, I can seeeee soooooo many places where I can save money, without dramatically changing our lifestyle - just using what is already around us...

Tara - how are you and evie - you getting into MCN's would be brilliant idea with two little bums to cover... we can find out together... I let you know of any good suggestions I get too ok?

Nelly - I hope you didn't meet yourself coming the other way today! busy busy busy girl...

Blanche - teeth teeth teeth... monsters eh... i think the boy is teething with the cold too... sometimes I wish he could just say "mum, my mouth is sore too..."

tired today -

Kim - i hope u have a wonderful time away, u sure deserve it!!

Vicky -Emelia seems better today back to her happy self...we will se how long that last lol! hope Aston feels better soon

Tara - yeah ive tried the brauers teething relief, it worked for her when she was younger but now nothing really seems to help :s oh well 7 down heaps more to go!!! hows the bump?

I was thinking of using mcn for my 2..i brought one for missy (oh and her hot pink swimming nappy!!!) and ive been meaning to get more but i wish i could go to a shop and look and choose them and not have to buy them off the net..the baby store here only has the peapods, which is the one Emelia has and seems fine for her no leaks or nothing so maybe i should just go buy a heap of them!

I got 10 wipes with my MCN's when I bought them, so I use them heaps and only buy 1 packet of wipes a month for when we are out & about... and day care. I just use warm water and thats it.

vicky i use cloth wipes too!! i could always get my mum to overlock you a bundle and send them up!!!!
    id use MCN too, as kim said there always easy to resell, especially ones like the bumgenius, which i love too!! looking at getting the new version 3. i hate having to spend money on sposies, i always think of what cloth ones i could have bought with the money!!

kim i hope you have a great weekend away!! the girls will be fine though having said that id be crying too if i had to leave sophie, easier said than done!!

were up in albury for the weekend, sophs still not well, but we figured time with grandparents always cheers her up!!

christy hows your mum?????

blanche i bought sophie swim nappy and tankini, looks so cute!!

tara have you tried a teething necklace????

gigi hi honey!!! i love saving money on bubs stuff too, as you'd already know!!!

christy we should do a co-op with your mum when shes up to it for some bumgenius version 3!! save on postage, then send them out!!!

Christy - I've had mega mummy meltdowns lately. i think it's just that age! lol i feel like all i do is 'no evie' 'no leave it' 'dont touch' and then my heartbreaks and she does something else to try and get my approval.

One thing i always noticed at kindy was how the kids behaved depending on my mood. like, if i was having a ****ty day it seemed the kids were too, but if i was really happy and laid back, the kids were brilliantly behaved. and i only just remembered that today with evie. LOL only took 15 months! so i am trying to be positive and not such a grump lol

Blanche - bump is coming along...just waiting for those stretch marks from evie to flatten out LOL. how bout you?

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

VICKY - i just did a long post to your question about the cost benefits of putting Aston in MCN for a year approx, in the MCN thread, so won't repeat myself here. One thing i forgot to say, which i feel freer to say here, is that if you are completely new to MCN (as opposed to someone who already knows the types available and has preferences already), i would suggest - to work out what you do and don't prefer, to get a trial pack of a few different types of nappies. Use them for a few days - then you will be able to tell what suits Aston, what suits you and therefore what to get more of. Nurture Nappies does a great trial pack called the Nurture Nappies Stash - good assortment (including a BumGenius 3.0).

Do you sew Vicki? I could point you in some great DIY MCN directions if you do.
    DO you knit Vicki? ditto
    Two ways to make it even cheaper for yourself.
    Even if your sewing skills consist of sewing a straight line around a rectangle, that can still help you with saving money and using MCN. WIll fill in the blanks once i find out whether this interests you or not.

Once i know the size of Aston, shape etc, can help you more.

But i would say, no matter how good teh bulk price packs look e.g buy 24 of product X, unless you ahve already bought ONE of them, tried them and are VERY HAPPY with them on Aston, RESIST the urge to buy the bulk packs. Count to ten and email me if you feel yourself getting weak!

KIMMY! i am so happy you ARE going away on your weekend! Hope you and Craig have lots of lovely cuddles and the chance to relax together. Sounds like the girls are in good hands, how lovely for them to have nice granddies.

Flannels, wipes, washers, facecloths, yes, i guess there are ALOT of names for those! ANother easy thing to sew too vicky!

BLANCHIE - aren't you in Perth hon? i'm sure i've looked up Perth MCN stores before for MCN. on the ozclothnappies database, there is a list of IRL shops allover Aust, and there are a number in perth. It IS wonderful to see LOTS Of brands IRL, to be able to look at them side by side, compare and work out what you prefer. Nothing beats your kid actually roadtesting it! but at least seeing them is better than nothing. You can also join Nappycino and Ozclothnappies and find out when Perth local meetups are on. This is how i got to see MCN in real life, the old timers bring their stash faves to show the newbies. MCN is a very helpful community. I take along a HUGE bag or two of MCN to our local meetups, to help newbies get to see what is out there (cos i remember how much i appreciated people doing that for me in 2006 when i was pregnant).

Just like with Vicki, if you can tell me what you need, i can point you in a few directions. Size, shape, wetting pattern, lifestyle considerations e.g people who have their kids in childcare often have more AIO's cos that's an easy option to send to daycare).

Who asked about eh liners?
    In Christy's answer, she talked about microFIBRE, hon i think you might have meant to type MICROFLEECE.

Microfibre is an ABSORBENT fabric, used to soak up the wee
    Microfleece is a STAY DRY fabric, used as the inner on nappies, or for liners.

A cost effective thing to do for liners, is to buy a half metre of microfleece at Spotlight, the Little Additions brand is easy to find, the plain colour one is about $9 a metre. Cut that up into liners, e.g 30cm x 10cm strips - sized to fit the nappies you have. More generous size for the night nappies.

You wash these with the nappies and re-use.
    No sewing required, the microfleece doesn't fray.

Some kids rash to having anything synthetic next to their skin, if this is your child, avoid the microfleece.

When bilby had really bad nappy rash in mid Jan, i made her a host of liners out of old flannelette sheets. It meant i had to change her nappy more often, obviously flannelette is not a stay dry fabric, and nappy rash also occurs by kids sitting in a wet nappy too long. But i still used the microfleece liners for night nappies, cos that is too long for her to be sitting in wet.

Looking back, i think that rash was caused by toxic poos, cos i had been overfeeding her fruit puree everyday, thinking i was giving her something healthy - but it burnt her bottom coming out.

ANother reason kids rash up is to do with WHAT you wash their nappies in, and HOW MUCH you use. MCN only needs HALF the wash powder you use for a load of clothes, and using a powder for sensitive skin e.g no dyes, perfumes or enzymes is a good idea. If you use full strength wash powder, you risk detergent buildup on the MCN (so it will get less absorbent) and many babies skin reacts to it.

happy to help anyone with MCN stuff ([email protected])

hope some of that helps you out, tell me if it's not and i'll shut up

i am so tired, that's my dash
    sweetdreams lovelies!

hi all am here lurking scratched an itch and now can't get back to sleep plus Jake slept thru last night and I woke at 4 checked the time and now am "waiting" for him to wake up.

scratch away nelly!!!

not much here except sophie woke with a rahs on her trunk!! dont know what that is!!

ETA just had to leave and flip over my wholemeal avocado and zuchinni pikelets!!

me again

looks like sophie has the measles!!!

oh no poor little Sophie..there isnt much u can do for measles though is there?

well we didnt go to swimming lessons this morning Emelia decided wake up time was 5am (plus she woke alot last night) swimming is at 9.25am but we were both back in bed at 8 and didnt wake till 10.30!!

Gigi - i live an hour away from perth, i might have a look and see wat stores they sell them at up there, but yeah only one store here has the peapods!

Jols - how's sophie doing? did you take her to the doctor? measles are yucky... I remember having them as a 5 year old, it was horrible - think it would be worse for a little person... at least you can explain a little to a five year old. all i remember is we had to spend time inside, in darken room, and wore socks on our hands so we wouldn't scratch. My sister and I had it at the same time.

I think I'll take you up on the overlocking offer of cloth wipes. let me know how much - and I can transfer money to you. thanks

Gigi - thanks for the info... lots to think about. and i'm doing the economics on it this week. I've decided that if I'm actually not going to safe any money doing it, then I won't... so have to sit and do the sums - one question - I did cloth nappies with Laura and nathan, but they were terry toweling ones, that I used to soak in a bucket of napisan, and then wash... whats the deal with MCN's - how do you clean them???

nelly love it when those itches get scratched

Blanche - you must be shattered hun. i hope you have had an easy day, and its not too hot. its stinking here today. no pleasing me is there - want the rain to go... so it does for the day, and i still end up whinging!! lol

I hope you having a lovely time away Kim.

Taralee - so true what you are saying - kids bounce of you - if your up, so are they.. and vice versa.

sophies ok so far!!!

have dr's again on monday if needed, but with MIL a nurse as well as her golf buddy whom we had a drink with today both said it looked like measals , we checked out info and she has had the classic lead up to the rash which was, funny nose, runny sore eyes, cough (which for her turned into bronchitis) and fever followed by the rash!!!
    she's not itching yet, hopefully wont, but i guess time will tell, shes still on dimetapp fof the runny nose so perhaps thats holding back the itch!!

no worries about the wipes easy to do!! and no you dont saok MCN even the towelling ones! the sun does all the sanitising they need

blanche enjoy the sleep you \both obvisously need it!!!

What are you guys doing for meal times? It has turned in to such a bummer here. I know she likes to eat with her fork and pretty much do it all on her own, but like tonight she barely ate anything. so i made "myself" some toast and she ate all of it. We can't really do dinner as a family cos DH doesnt get home til late. PLUS it seems the only stuff she'll eat is pre-packaged stuff, my cooking won't do!
    Jols - measels! yikes! any idea where she caught it from? at least u know why she' was 'yucky' leading up to it.
    Vicky - i found some websites with 'thrifty recipes' and they have heaps of recipes using stuff thats ALWAYS left in the back of the cupboard (you know like cans of corn, beans etc) and any leftovers. they're good cos they're different ideas on using stuff you already have so when you go to do food shopping you only need a handful of stuff, not a whole trolley full like you might think.
    Blanche - evie's up at 5 every day now and not going down til like 11, it is killing me!!! i just have to lock ourselves in her room so i can doze off on the floor LOL pregnancy...who'd do it again!! LOL

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast