Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born November 2007 #2

Hoody - WHAT are you doing up at 2am missy??? You should be sleeping!

Dragonbub - not sure even the bottle of EBM would get this little fella to sleep through! Have pretty much given up on that dream for some months yet. Hope your procedure goes OK today, I personally HATE having GE, hate the feeling of waking up not knowing where the hell I am, what's happened etc etc so probably good thing you won't see this till after you're done!

June28 - hope things are improving for you. It's pretty normal for their sleep to go out the window when they're teething though, so just try and get through this rough patch and im sure he'll be back to his old self soon. We also struggle with resettling after one sleep cycle during the day but after weeks of hard work, he is improving. I do have to resettle him but sometimes he'll resettle himself or its generally just pop the dummy in and he goes back to sleep.

Suse
    - The sleeping thing is a killer huh? I wish they came with a sleep button, then life would be perfect! LOL

We have to take L to the hospital today to have some scans done on his head Not sure if I've mentioned it here, but there is some concern about the rate his head is growing. His head circ is literally off the charts now (ie above the 97th percentile) so they want to check that it's just hereditary (DH and I both have huge heads too apparently). So feeling very nervous today but confident that nothing will be wrong. He is a very big boy (up to 7.5kg now!) and his head is in proportion with his body, but it's more the rate that it is growing that the paed is concerned about.

Could do with a few prayers/positive thoughts...

Willow hun GL with the scans today. I'm sure its nothing to worry about. I'll be praying and thinking lots of positive thoughts for you. 7.5kg wow already- i'm jealous. I had Molly re weighed this mo and she is 4.3kg and still in 0000's i get sick of been told how tiny she is and then ppl commenting that my milk must be *****. LOl at the me been up at 2am. I am in perth so it was just past midnight but still quite late. I am always up til about 11ish so 12's not that late for me however i felt like i'd been hit by a bus when Molly fed at 5 this morning. You will prob understand that with having 2 and it been go go go all day my evenings are my time and no matter how tired i am i feel like i am missing out if i go to bed early. I tend to sit on the comp for and hr or so and do house work and just wind down etc.

Willow- I've been thinking of you all day!! How is your little man? I am praying that all is ok and you dont have any bad news. I am anxiously awaiting to hear from you

Dragonbub- how was your procedure and how did you cope with the GA? Are you on the mend? I hope it all went smoothly and look forward to hearing from you.

Back again! Procedure went ok, just a sore foot now Bit hard carrying Caden up the stairs...

Willow - hope the scans went ok. I obsess about every little measurement being "different" but really, there is so much variation isn't there? How much is his head circ? It sounds like his weight is off the charts as well for his age, so I would think he would look funny with a 50th percentile head with a 90th percentile bod! Then they would be worried it is too small!! My prayers are with you also and I really wish you the best of luck on the results - I am sure he is just a really really smart fella with lots of brains!

Hope everyone else is going ok,

Hi everyone
    Dragonbub - Glad to hear the procedure went ok. Hope the pain isn't too much trouble! Oh and yes sometimes Jacob does wake up after 45 mins and is still tired and grumpy. I give it 10 mins to resettle him to sleep (if he does't fall asleep by then he won't ever), but usually after 45 mins he wakes up very happy and I am met by a big smile when I go into his room. Just have a bit of a cat-napper on my hands i guess. Oh and we hate tummy-time here too. He just gets so frustrated. He would much rather be standing up! Might just try your tip on expressing in the mornings and seeing if that makes any difference to his feeds. I had been expressing a little but stopped lately as our fridge has been threatening to die.

Willow - hope your trip to the hospital went ok and that it is all good news! Thinking of you.

Well busy day today. Have already been to the dermatologist to get a few moles checked, back home for a quick drink (and to say hello to you girls), then off to mothers group, some grocery shopping, the library, pick hubby up from work and then back home. Tired just thinking about it.

quick question for you all. I keep reading that BF babies reduce the number of poos, but I think Jacob's have increased. He is having 2-4 a day still. They aren't runny or anything like that, so its not diarrhea, but just wondering if anyone else is having the same thing?

Hi all, just a quick one from us, gotta take him up to see the CHN but just wanted to let you know that the scans all looked OK according to the Dr in the imaging dept, have to take him back to see the paed but for now it's all looking good.

Having a few issues with him refusing feeds over the last 24 hours, so going to see what the CHN has to say about it.

If it's not one thing, it's another!

Thats great news Willow! Just a baby einstein on your hands instead. What did they check for?

June - My little guy is BFand he has at least 4 poos a day, often more.

Hi everyone - a quickie from me. (that started four hours ago, mister monster is asleep so thought I'd continue...)

June78 - I think it is fine that BF babies still poo lots - my impression is that there can be quite a variation in the amount a BF baby poos and that it is not uncommon for babies that previously poo many times a day to poo much less often, but both extremes are still normal.

Willow - glad to hear that the scan went well - poo though about the little mister refusing the boob. to you hon - that must feel awful. Euan starts sucking before he even hits the boob, it's hilarious. Talk about Mr Voracious. I'll fall over in shock if he ever refuses though, I hope he doesn't because I don't have any expressed milk stored so there's only one alternative. I probably should try to express and store some really. BTW - about the sleep button - you must have been channelling my DP who said exactly the same thing - where's the off button when you need it?!

Hoody - hope you are getting a bit of catch up rest today (wishful thinking maybe?) Euan has been up during the night the last three nights, 5:00am, then 3:00am last night and back up again at 6:30. Dunno what that's about but it's sure tiring. Can't imagine what it would be like with two - yeesh. Personally, I'd be telling anybody who says that your milk is sh*t to bugger off. What would they know... Molly is obviously meant to be the size she is at the moment, so nuts to everybody. A good friend of mine has a little girl who is 8 months and not much bigger than Euan, and she was 3 months old before she got to his birth weight of 4.2kg. And she is a perfectly happy healthy baby!

Dragonbub - hope you recover quickly hon. Ouchies on the foot - not fun lugging around bubbas when mum's not well. My feet are pretty darn sore ATM so I can sympathise, although I haven't had surgery - I've got nothing to whinge about really.

TwinSister - Hi! Is Barnaby anywhere near Newfoundland? I had a friend/colleague from there and it sounds beautiful, but freezing. We all adapt to whatever extreme of climate we happen to live in - at least in really cold climates things are set up for it (houses etc). I'd love to see snow - I've only seen it twice in my life, whereas you must be sick of it! Such a shame on missing the first rollover - I missed the first attempt at a head lift from his tummy and was a bit disappointed but figured but that it's OK, my DP works all day so undoubtedly deserves to catch a milestone here and there!

We've had a few tiring days, but good days too. Lots of happy laughing baby moments, but he's been difficult to get to sleep. We had a night where he was screaming at 1am with wind pain - which hasn't happened in ages. Poor little guy was so exhausted and screamed like his legs were being ripped off - pain when you are tired seems ten times worse. I was in tears - even though I knew nothing was 'wrong' as such, hearing them in pain and not being able to press a magic button and make it better is awful. Welcome to being a mum, huh?

Although I don't have very much (a can of coke a day and a little bit of chocolate here and there), I've cut all caffeine from my diet to see if that would help with the sleep and the tummy pain. My DP and I made a deal that he would give up beer and playstation for a week if I would give up coke and chocolate for a week. I am sooooo tired today and could really go a can of coke, I have one in the fridge beckoning to me but have resisted temptation for three days now - well done me! Unfortunately, I think it may be making a bit of a difference, he's been a little easier to get to sleep but we'll see if it lasts. Damn, am I not allowed even the smallest of vices...

A question - in terms of head control and being able to lift their head when on their tummy - approximately when should they be doing that? Euan has just started turning his head from side to side when on his tummy but doesn't actually lift his head up at all when on the ground (although he does if he's lying on my chest and I'm leaning back on the couch). I'm not sure whether he should be more advanced than this at his age or whether he is fine. He doesn't really like tummy time so I don't force it. He'll only last about 5 minutes on his tummy before getting upset so he never has longer than this at a time. He's got reasonably good head control when upright though and can hold his head upright with only a little support - he'll wobble when he gets distracted or tired. I think he's fine but I'm really not sure... Any ideas?

Hope you are all doing good today!

Burnaby is in BC and on the west coast of Canada and Newfoundland is on the east coast. There is a huge temperature difference between them too. Eastern winters are really cold and snowy, while western winters are mild but rainy. This is our first really cold winter in many many years.

Thanks TwinSister!

Hey Suse - I don't think it matters too much re the head lifting thing. It sounds like he can do it, probably just doesn't want to do it! Caden hates tummy time, and I was so worried he couldn't lift his head. DH put him on his tummy when he was in bed with us once and up he went he had always been able to do it, he just didn't do it on the floor (cheeky). He still hates tummy time, and there are definately other babies that are better on their tummies and can even lift their chests up, but I don't think it matters too much as long as they can do it, no matter "how" they do it, or "where".

Thanks for the thoughts re my foot. Yeah, it has been achy today and just for laughs, Caden decided that today would be a good day to teethe and therefore was not only screaming in pain and very clingy, but he would only settle when I was standing, pacing with him! So much for recovery huh? DH was back at work today and even had an after-work meeting til 8.30 so have had to do the evening shift on my own with a sore sore toe Not happy about it but what can you do? Luckily bub is down now so I can have a bit of a break...

Well, hope you are all having a good week!

Suse- Molly HATES tummy time with a passion and my CHN has said she'd expect her to be a little stronger than she is she like your DS she will lift her head for a second and swap sides etc but puts it straight back down but like you on my chest she is alot better. My CHN said its nothing to worry about yet just to keep putting her on her tummy. Hmm not easy to do when your toddler is forever trying to pick the baby up After each nappy change i just put her on her tummy for a minute or until she gets grumpy! It will be interesting to see if cutting caffiene from your diet will make any diff. I have cut nothing and do drink coke and eat chocolate - not huge amounts but if its around i cant help myself.

Dragonbub- i truly empathise with the sore food with DD1 i tore ligaments in my ankle and was on crutches for 2 weeks when she was 6 months lucky she wasnt crawling but impossible to carry and use crutches at the same time Trust me they always seem to teethe or get sick when you are not 100% or have a busy week etc i think they sense it, lol. Hope he is happier for you tomo so you can get some rest.

Willow- hows the BFing going? Glad the scans seem to be good it must be a huge relief.

Twinsis- how you going?

June78- Your busy day is making me tired jsut thinking about it, hehe. Molly is lucky to poo once a week but boy does it get messy. They are all diff so i wouldnt worry if it doesnt seem to bother him.

Well i've had another day with insomnia baby and last night she wasnt great either fed at 8.30pm, 2.30am, 5.30am and then at 8am doesnt look too bad but i didnt go to bed till 11ish so am very tired. Well i best go and feed DH b4 he starves its 8.30 and we still havent had tea. Its our wedding ann tomo so we are off out tomo evening without the kids

Hey Hoody - Caden is much better today. It is funny, cos the better he sleeps during the day, the better he sleeps at night. You would think he would be tuckered, but no, he seems more settled after good sleeps. Good idea on the tummy time, as he hates that too. he doesn't seem to mind it on the change table, I must get into the habit.

Suse - LOL about not being allowed any vices! I gave up caffiene when bubs was really unsettled. Since then I have eliminated diet coke ( I mean really, it only has 1 calorie!) most dairy, meat (for my own benefit) chocolate, spicy foods, cabbage, and anything too full in flavour. I am planning on taking up smoking and alcohol Just kidding. It is hard when you can't wait for pregnancy to be over so you can eat anything you want, then you find out that is a pipe dream and not really true at all! Ho hum...

Toe killing me but am doing ok. Can't have too many pain killers cos of BFing, but a couple of panadol seems to be helping.

Hope y'all have a great week! PS my big sis is due any day now, SO exciting!!!

Dragonbub i hope the toes isnt as sore by the time you read this. They do say that babies who sleep better in the day are generally more settled at night as well! I think Molly just wears herself out so much in the day she is just too knackered to fuss too much at night.

Last night wasnt too bad for us the usual late feed about 11 then the 5am then 7am. She actually had a good sleep this morning which tends to be unheard of in our house. I didnt have much luck this arvo though. I put her down about 2 and went to get my nails done leaving both girls with DH. Needless to say i got a phonecall 10 mins after i left to say she was awake and unsettled which is how she remained until my sister babysat and got her to sleep about 7pm. I felt so guilty leaving her but its our wedding ann and we had a dinner reservation. If someone had told me by my 3rd wed ann i'd have 2 kids under 2 i would have thought no way but here i am! It was lovely to have a nice child free dinner but so hard to relax knowing my babies were at home without me.
    We are off to the Perth City Muster (country music thing) on sat with both kids and its outdoors from about 3 til 11 so that will be interesting. Its going to be hard work but we go every year as DH is a huge country fan and he doesnt want to break our tradition. At least the forcast is low 30's so not as hot as last yrs 38 degrees. We took DD1 last yr when she was almost 1 and it was very tiring. My biggest concern is BFing whilst there as there are no parent rooms etc so it looks like i will have to do it publicly. I dont mind feeding in public but DH isnt a fan (thinks everyone is trying to look at my BB) and then i get a bit uptight iykwim so i dont upset him, also there will be thousands of ppl at the show ground so i'm bound to upset someone if i do it publicly. I guess ppl can either like it or lump it though if Molly needs feeding i am her food source so poo to them I thought about expressing but with the weather would rather no have to worry about bottles etc and by the end of the evening my BB's would be ready to fall off. Have any of you been to a big even whilst BFing?? Well its getting a little late so off to shower, feed and sleep for me

Yay i changed my ticker and put in a pic of my girls i think i shrunk it too much quality not great but at least now you can see my babies!!! I'm very excited

DB - hope your toe feels better soon

Willow - glad to hear scans went ok. Cameron had to have one of his head as the suction lump is still there but his little noggan looked ok

Hoody - Doing good, dealing with fussy baby though as he had his first shots yesterday. It broke my heart to hear him cry like that. He was ok last night and even this morning until I changed his diaper so I think his legs hurt where they injected him. I gave him a bit of infant tylenol and he's been alseep for the last two hours.

Cameron hates tummy time too unless he's on someone's tummy at the time. He doesn't last more than a few minutes before he gets too frustrated and starts crying. He did manage to have the one roll over though so we keep trying. He's started batting the toys on his play gym the other day and now will grab at them a little too. It's so cute to watch him talk to them as he smacks them around.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast