Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2005 #2

Hi!

Just a quick one as we have our family thing on today and the house is a pigsty.

My poor little Louis had a rough day yesterday. Before I went to the MHCN I notice he had broke out in a rash and she said best to take him to the dr. Well, we were booked in for immunisations anyway but he couldn't end up having it because he had a bit of a temperature! We managed to get some panadol into him on our third attempt (the first 2 he spat it straight out - so the third time we quickly shoved the dummy in after it!)
    The poor thing screamed all afternoon and was just generally unhappy - it didn't help that we had an appointment to get his photos at 7pm either... so all up he had about 3 hours sleep all day yesterday. Luckily after the dose of panadol he managed to sleep from 8.30-2am and then through to 6am so at least he had a good night.
    I'm waiting on dh to go and buy one of those digital thermometers today so we can keep a check on him although I haven't given him any more panadol and he seemed much better this morning and has already gone down for a snooze.
    We were told if he wasn't better by Monday to take him back.

It's so horrible when they cry and you know you can't fix it!

O.K better go - am still in my towel! he he

I"ll write more tomorrow!

Kristie- sorry you had a bad day... hope he was better for you today and that his rash and temp are ok now.

Cindy - shame about the mothers group not being what you want. I can't believe they looked at you funny for breast-feeding! Hopefully the other group will be better.

Kazzy - I agree, the worrying is awful. I sent dh out to get me some Rescue Remedy today as I feel really anxious a lot.

I'm so jealous of you with babies who sleep for 4 hours through the day! Dylan is actually asleep now, but that's because dh took him out in the car (to give me some rest time) for 1 1/2 hours and he cried nearly the whole time so he's exhausted. We had a bad morning! I'm really not enjoying breastfeeding and through the day feeds he squeals and squirms as though he's in pain and won't latch on properly. I always try to burp him but even when he does burp he still won't stay attached. It's driving me crazy as he doesn't get a full tummy and then grizzles and wants to feed again within 2 hours. I'm booked into a day clinic on Monday so I really hope this helps, otherwise I think I'll be tempted to start weaning. It's just too exhausting fighting with his squirming and I end up in tears when he won't feed properly. :smt022

Tomorrow is going to be stinking hot here and dh is working a day shift, so I'm going to go up to sil for a few hours so I don't have to cope on my own.

Hope you're all going well!

ohhh donelle,sounds like something is not right there hunny.i would make sure that you explain everything about dylans patterns and routines during the day and night.i am starting to think that he may be a hard baby through the day because of the feeding problem,they could be linked.do not feel guilty if you do have to ween.you need to do the best for you and bub,you will be less stressed and he will notice that,also he will be getting the food he needs and you may find that he is a completly transformed baby and will give you rest and a break through the day.i had to ween and put my first on a bottle when he was 8 weeks because of the same reasons and i tell you now it was the best thing i could have done.he was soooo much more settled and i was feeling less stressed.i didnt feel guilty as i had a very happy baby then,what was there to feel guilty about???i had just made his life better and mine.please make sure you really explain things at the clinic on monday,they may be able to help you to breast feed effectivly or suggest the bottle.
    cindy how about some music vouchers for your brothers bdays.
    nikki

Cindy - I have a 16 yr old brother to buy for. Our family is doing the gift voucher thing.

Kristie - I hope Louis feels better [-o<

Benjamin isn't handling the heat very well. He's not sleeping properly either and becoming very irritable and whinges a lot. We eventually get him to sleep, but he won't sleep without me being there beside him.

I have a question: Benjamin's head, not forehead is at times very hot, is he losing extra heat like we do through the top of his head, or does he have a fever that I'm not picking up on?

Melissa

melissa,best way to tell is to pop a thermometer on him.babies do lose heat through there head but i would check with a thermometer if i were you just to be sure.
    nikki

Kazzy Guest

Donella - I agree with Nikki - tell the clinic everything - about Dylan's routine and especially about how you are feeling. It is normal to feel some level of anxiety, but if you are getting concerned about it speak to you GP. As for using formula - don't worry about that either. DYlan may be fussy during the day if he is overtired too - when Eden is over 'it' she pulls on and off the nipple, complains by grizzling, is very jerky and just can't feed well. She then gets too tired and goes to sleep, then wakes up earlier than normal because she is hungry. I think the day stay should be able to tell you if Dylan is 'over tired' - that is what it sounds like to me. He just needs to be 'taught' how to sleep during the day. The day stay should be able to help you or give you advice on this. When the sleeping and feeding is out of wack, it really is a vicious cycle. It is the worst thing to feel anxious and not know what to do or who to turn to for answers. Check out a website I found called saveour sleep you will have to google it.

Melissa - it is usually the forehead that is hot if they have a temp and they do loose heat from their heads. Check the back of the neck too as this can indicate if they are too warm. Probably just extra heat loss from the top of the head - but Nikki is right - use a thermometre if in doubt. I was told that if their temp is above 37.2 then they have a temp, but that if they have been crying, this can also elevate their tiemp so wait til they have calmed down.

Well, I gave Eden some formula today for one feed, just to see how she would go and she took it well little darling. I don't want to stop breastfeeding, I wasn't sure if my milk supply was enough at the moment 'cause she was waking three hourly last night for feeds. She only had a two hour nap this morning and she normally goes three to four. I gave her the bottle and she took 90ml of formula and has been alseep for four hours now. I will try and build up my supply again. Atleast I know that she will take the formula (at the moment anyway - don't want to speak too soon).

Hot in here today and tomorrow - Brandan has his Kinder orientation tomorrow and Eden has her health centre visit in the arvo - looking forward to them both.

Catch you all later.

Kazzy

Kazzy Guest

Quick update before I go to bed. Eden woke from her sleep and I noticed that she had a red rash on her arms, legs and the trunk of her body. Rang the MCH help line and it seems that Eden may have reacted to the formula. I burst into tears because I was the one who gave it to her. I won't be doing that again. I am starting to wonder if maybe she has very sensitive skin as she still has the rash on her face and with the reaction to the cows milk based formula - i just feel so bad that I gave her the formula.............. poor darling. Feel like a bad mother now. :smt022

I will post tomorrow to let you know how she went over night.

Hope all you little bubbas are OK.
    Kazzy

Oh Kazzy don't feel bad - you had no way of knowing it could have that reaction. I'm sure it will go away quickly and she''l be fine by the morning.

Thank you Kazzy and Nikki for your advice and encouragement... I think yesterday was an extra bad day as AF arrived so I was all hormonal too! Had a better day today - went up to SIL place so had company all day rather than being on my own. Looking forward to the clinic tomorrow to see what advice they can give me.

Off to bed bow - only had 4 hours last night as Dylan was unsettled for a couple of hours then dhs alarm went off at 4am and I was just gettin back to sleep after he left at 5 when Dylan woke again and was ready for daytime... grrr! Hopefully tonight he'll settle more quickly after his 2am feed. (no matter what time he goes to bed he still wakes to feed at 2am - it's strange!)

Melissa - tori has a hot and sweaty head all the time too! She ends up with wet hair after her feeds. I remember my brother being like that too and i suppose its not a worry unless there is a temp.

Denella - I hope you can get dylan sorted soon, it wears you out this mothering business doesnt it!! Tori wakes at 3am no matter when she goes down, its rather frustrating isnt it, and then she wants to start her day at 4.30-5ish and has since day one.

Oh Kazzy you poor thing, hopefully edens rash will settle with no dramas. Just when you think you have an answer to one thing another issue pops up doesnt it.

Thanks for the idea nikki, not a bad one at all. I hate buing the boys any presents, they are so picky the buggers.

Well I am off to bed in a minute, I ended up up most of lastnight with the princess, I must have eaten something that upset her coz she was farting all night and it would wake her up, it was rather funny actually. The only way i ended up getting her to sleep eventually was her lying on my chest so we slept on the couch from 4-7.30! I so dont want her to get used to that though!!!!! She has been rather clingy to me the past week which while it is sweet, its a bit of a pain too. she will go to other people but she needs to be able to see me at all times. Its rather sweet though the big grins I am getting when she and I make eye contact, it can even be from th other side of the room. Its very sweet.

Is anyones bubs laughing yet? I am hanging to hear her laugh, she does silent laughing which is a crack up but i want the noise!!!

kazzy,donella is right how were you to know,we will go through many,many years of trial and error girls,so dont be hard on yourselves this is how we learn to know our children.
    it is going to be 35 degrees here tomnorrow,ouch.
    donella,wow on af arriving.
    nikki

Kazzy - you werent to know. dont beat yourself up about it. how is she this morning?

Melissa - how is Benjamin going now? the heat can sure knock them around!

Donella - Emma has had days of doing that - squirming when feeding - like she is hungry but cries etc. I eventually put it down to overtiredness. Once she had a good sleep (even if it takes a while to get through the crying) she would then wake and feed really well. hope you get some answers today thouhg. let us know how you go!

Kristie - so sorry to hear little Louis hasnt been well. how is he now?

cindy - how awful that they made you feel uncomfortable for bf! its a mothers group for crying out loud!!!

Emma is doing really well. we had her in the pool on the weekend and she loved it!!! i couldnt believe it! she smiled and chatted away for about 15 minutes. i only took her out then because i didnt want her to get cold (although the pool is 30 degrees). She went 6 days without pooing! it didnt seem to worry her at all though! then she did 2 big ones on the weekend no worries! she has her immunisations tomorrow #-o in general she wakes once a night and i sleep from about 10pm - 6am with one 15 min feed in the middle. we had herweighed on saturday too, she now weighs 4.5kg. oh - and sha had her photo taken with santa and slept!

Hi girls.

Yesterday was an absolute shocker for weather. We stayed inside most of the day. Went swimming last night. We tried to introduce Tristan to the sea but it didn't work. His feet touched the water and waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Whoops!! Maybe another day! He looked so cute in his little rashie vest and speedos though.

I'm feeling sick again today. I had singapore noodles yesterday and it had cabbage in it. Not good.

Tristan is doing well. Last night was the fifth night in a row that I didn't do an after midnight feed and Tristan's not complaining. He only wakes for his dummy then goes back to sleep. I'm stoked. Bbs hurt like mad by morning though.

Cindy - Thats the reason I don't breastfeed infront of people I barely know. People staring makes me uncomfortable as well. I don't see why it would be a problem since it's a mother's group. Some people are weird.

Melissa - The head for both adults and babies feel the heat the most - hence red faces and sometimes sweat after crying and bouts of frustration or anger. The brain is the most active part of your body and when you're frustrated, angry or upset, it works even harder, making you hot. I wouldn't worry about it but to be sure, use the thermometre like Nikki suggested. Tristan head sometimes feels really hot after he has had a cry.

I'd better go. I smell poo and it's not me or the dog!!! Also Tristan's sleepy so I'll put him to bed. And theres housework to do. Grrrrr.

Love and hugs............Bonnie

Hi!

Well Louis is feeling much better! He had his biggest sleep Sat night - nearly 7 hours! We are having funny night sleeps at the moment. He sleeps from about 8pm through to anywhere from 1-2am for a feed and then through to 6-7am. Is anyone else missing that 10pm feed?

The times that I have woken him for that feed he never feeds that well and will still wake up at the same time anyway so I figure its best to let him sleep.

Because he's going to long with only one feed I find that he wants to feed quite often in the morning and just has little 40 min naps until the afternoon. That's fine though - as long as he keeps sleeping well at night.

We're getting lots of chatting and he's almost at the stage where he's laughing! He makes me laugh! This time is so nice now.

He doesn't cry much in the morning just has a chat to his mobile until I come in and get him and then gives me a big smile and laugh! It's so perfect.

Also forgot to add that we got him weighed on friday and he's up to 5.16kg (11lb 2)and is 56cm long! Woo hoo

Anyway....

Linda - Wow on the pool swimming - that sounds like so much fun! Louis generally doesn't poo overnight now but basically does every feed through the day. I'm glad he doesn that though because half of those go up his back! Imagine what he'd be like if he went that long - hehe.

Nikki - It is going to be hot today! We got our air conditioner installed yesterday - woo hoo!

Cindy - We've had that with Louis as well - farty bums! Whats with the parents staring at you breastfeeding???? That's ridiculous!!! Its hard when people make you feel uncomfortable.

Donella - Sometimes it makes all the difference when you spend time with people and your not just home alone dealing with an unsettled baby. I'm glad you could go to your SILs for the day! I hope you had a better nights sleep last night! I had that yesteday with Louis also - he wouldn't got on the boob and was screaming and unhappy so I managed to get him on by walking and holding him upright and kind of tricked him into it. Once he was on he was fine that way - I wonder sometimes if it hurts their little bellies lying down???

Kazzy - Sorry to hear about Edens rash. Don't feel bad - at least you know now. I hope she's getting better today.

Melissa - I agree - it's the forehead that feels hot with a temp.

Big hellos to anyone I've missed and hope all your bubbas are giving you big smiles!

Kazzy Guest

Hi Guys,
    just a quickie - Edens rash on body is better - and didn't seem to bother her. Eden is in a new sleeping pattern - bed by 7.30, 12.30 am feed, then 4 amish feed and then up at 7.30 - must be a growth spurt. Off to the clinic this afternoon so I will ask about the formula thing. Thanks for your support guys - I was relieved to see she was better this morning.

Talk later

Kazzy
    xx

Linda - Still hot here! Benjamin is still getting hot and bothered like the rest of us.

Cindyb - Benjamin is like me. I sweat a lot through my head also.

I'm going to go out this week and get one of those baby digital thermometres. I want to get a good quality one.

Thanks ladies for the advice.

It would be nice to have an air conditioner or a swimming pool at the moment...

Melissa

Kazzy Guest

Hi All,
    Eden had her 8 week check today. She has put on 220 g in 4 days !! She normally only puts on 170 to 180 in a week! She is now 4.6 kilos and 55.5 cm long - just a little dot. The nurse told me to get some cream for her face called dermeaze so I put some on tonight after her bath - hopefully it will help. The skin folds at the back of her legs are uneven so this may mean that she will need to have a brace - will have to wait until the ultrasound next week. I was so suprised at her weight gain as I was concerned that my milk supply had diminished, but she obviously is having a growth spurt and has just needed to feed more often.

Strange weather here today - hot wind. lots of clouds and just had a rain storm!

Off to the dentist tomorrow - have a tooth ache and want it taken care of before Christmas.

Hope you are all doing OK.

Love Kazzy
    xx

Kazzy Guest

Linda - forgot to ask how did Emma's needles go??

I still have to book Eden in for hres.

Just on a side note - Eden is in the 25th percentile for weight and height - anyones elses bubbas the same??

Kazzy

Kazzy - I'm so glad she has had such a good weight gain - that must ease your mind a lot! good luck with the u/s!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast