Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2006 #9

Default Babies Born October 2006 #9

This thread is for parents who's baby was born in October 2006.

Your moderators for this forum are as follows-
    Christy - [email protected] ~ Senior Moderator
    Lea13 - [email protected]
    Sherie - [email protected]
    Astrolady - [email protected] ~ Administrator

There are many issues that you will encounter as a new parent. We have put together this list of useful articles and threads in order to assist you with some common questions or issues you may have, and to provide you with bit of extra support that we all need as new parents:

Feeding Support:

Breastfeeding General Chatter
    Breastfeeding FAQ's
    Is My Baby Hungry?
    Bottlefeeding FAQ's and Useful Information
    Is Feeding Your Baby Taking Too Much Time?
    Bottlefeeding General Chatter
    Feeding Your Baby
    Starting Solids/Homemade Baby Food
    Starting Solids - When Is My Baby Ready?
    Starting Solids General Chatter

Please contact the Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) or a Lactation Consultant if you are concerned that you may have breastfeeding and/or supply problems, and before the introduction of solids.

Sleeping Support:

Comforted Sleeping & Sleep Issues Forum
    Comforting Tools to Aid Restful Sleep
    Babies & Sleep
    Controlled Crying/Comforting/Sleep Training
    The Con of Controlled Crying
    The Crying Game
    15 Ways To Help Your Baby Sleep

Other Useful Information & Recommended Reading:

Baby Massage
    Cuddle Me Mum
    Infant-led Feeding & Weaning
    Baby Wearing
    Recommended Reading List

Got questions?

Post your questions in the forums mentioned above, or in the following forums where you're sure to receive many friendly responses!

General Baby & Toddler Forum
    Breastfeeding, Bottlefeeding and Solids
    Gentle Parenting Forum

Your Previous thread is HERE

Please note - To receive thread notfications click the "thread tools" button at the top of this post and click "Subscribe to Thread" there is no need to post in order to get notifications.

Last edited by Trillian; February 7th, 2007 at 06:21 PM.

D'oh thanks Sherie!!! I am posting in here & not even doing my mod duties... shows my Mummy Mush Brain is in full force...

Hiya girls, great news! I don't have to wear a silly bandage anymore! YAY!!! It will be a lot cooler without that on as well during our hot week here in QLD.

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey girls

Home for lunch again as the manager I'm replacing is lunching with friends all week....its great I get to go home for lunch for a time out!!

Yay Christy on the bandage coming off. Hows it looking hun??You can buy cream to put on it once its healed a bit more to help it heal even more and not scar. Can't remember what its called. I used it on my c/s scar's!!

Well we have a new record here. Jasmine slept 10.5 hours last night!! I HAD to put her to bed just before 6pm as she was falling asleep in her bouncer....LOL....poor little mite. SHe woke at 4.30am for a bottle! I was checking her all night. She sleeps next to me in her cot and I kept putting my hand on her to check so I didn't sleep completely soundly...but good enough!LOL

Emma, sorry to hear you and Stu are having a bad time. I really hope it all works out for you. Glad to hear Gaby was better last night.

Kirsty, good to hear you got some time at home. How is it all going?

Christy, yay at getting your bandage off. It has been so hot you must have been so uncomfortable. I hope the burn is healing well.

How is everyone else doing?

I am mostly ready for Jack's party on Sunday. There are 6 kids coming with parents and a couple of older siblings. So it's not too big, but it's my first time hosting a kids' birthday party so it's a good way to start LOL.

Tom had his first visit with the MCHN today. I have resisted taking him until now as I get him weighed at the pharmacy every now and then, and the doc and nurse weigh him and give him a once over when he has his jabs. But I decided to get into their system now and find out where they are as we have moved to a different area than where Jack went to the MCHN. She didn't inspire me terribly, but it was ok. Tom has gained a fair bit of weight in the last 2 or 3 weeks since his last vax. He's now 6.9kgs (was 6.35) so that's impressive. HE has gone from the 10th percentile at birth to nearly on the 50th percentile. She said that Tom shouldn't still need a night feed so try to just settle him instead. Duh, I do that sometimes, but usually I can tell from his cry that he's hungry and when I pick him up he tries to get to the bb thru my bra, then he gets on and he guzzles. So I guess I can try harder to get more into him before bed, but otherwise I'm probably going to have to ride it out for a while.

Oh Bah Humbug to not supposed to feed them over night Its funny, but now it makes me so angry to hear MCHN's telling Mum's that. I know so many first time Mums who feel so guilty about not doing the "right" thing. IMO if he's hungry, feed him If he's not, don't.... you know best. I know you would do that Melanie but for some reason it gets my goat LOL. Even when the MCHN told me by 3 months I shouldn't be feeding overnight I just rolled my eyes at her & said yeah whatever. Matilda still gets up and wants a drink of milk at night & we give it to her to avoid the 2 hour tantrum. I prefer more sleep.... and I think preservation is key to the family

I try to feed Jovie more in the arvos & give a dream feed but she always wakes up around 3-4am. Like clockworks so I stopped the dream feed & go to bed when I feel & she still wakes up then. I feed her & she's right back to sleep until MAtilda wakes us all up

I know what you mean Christy. This is why I didn't go to see them before now - they got my goat when the MCHN told me I should wean Jack. I can't imagine why she thought I should do that. This time I was more annoyed by the fact that she obviously thought I couldn't tell the difference between Tom being hungry and just needing resettling. But I know just to take what they say with a grain of salt. Somethings I think they can be helpful with, other things I can just ignore!

ETA - Also, I had to laugh, after she told me he shouldn't need a feed in the night, she gave me a handout that said that babies of this age often need to feed 4 to 6 hourly overnight. Guess she didn't read it huh!
    Last edited by MantaRay; February 10th, 2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: add info

Hi everyone...

Things are good here...have managed to clear up Kirsten's skin on her face with a little bit of hydrocortisone, as she was scratching it raw - now have to taper it off and hope the eczema doesn't flare up again as badly!

She is doing really well, very alert and lively, I feel like I have a toddler who can't walk yet as I am always playing with her and keeping her entertained!! My friend came round yesterday with a bag of toys for her, and she started squealing really loudly with excitement as we took the toys out of the bag, it was really cute! She is also trying hard to imitate us speaking, it is funny!

My friend told me yesterday she is pregnant again, so there will be another tiny baby to cuddle soon!

Am wondering when we should start solids with Kirsten. I know the guidelines say 6 months and I hoped to stick to that but she is starting to wake earlier at night and never seems full - always think its a growth spurt but it seems to be permanent, she takes about 1500ml of milk a day!!! I always thought I should wait until she was interested in food and sitting up well though, and she isn't!

Christy - am so glad the bandage has come off. It must have been awful in the hot weather. Must be really itchy too

Emma- I hope you can work things out. I think having a baby is the hardest thing for a relationship. Before I had Kirsten I would have said DH and I were close to 100% happy, and soulmates, and now we argue nearly every day, he is great with Kirsten, but not having any time together for 4 months really has taken its toll on us. Within a few days of having a little time together in the evenings as she is going to bed at 9pm and not midnight we got on a lot better. Is there any way you two can get a babysitter and go out alone together?

Melanie - it bugs me when people tell me when and how much I should feed Kirsten. If he is obviously hungry in the night and won't take more before bed he must need it!

Kirsty - So glad Jasmine is sleeping better, and its great timing now you are back to work!

Kate - Hope Rylee is also still sleeping better!

Marion

x

Kate - Thanks for the advice, its a difficult one.

It's not so much that we want her to sleep longer, its just she is feeding almost constantly and never seems satisfied and full, so maybe she might be happier with solids..

Kirsten has only just started sleeping earlier than midnight in the last couple of weeks..she started going to sleep at 830/9 all by herself..so hopefully that will happen with Rylee too!

Tom's a bit unsettled this morning so this will be quick. Jack's party went pretty well yesterday. It was hard entertaining, providing food and drinks for adults and kids and looking after our two as well, but the other mums were really helpful. Everyone seemed to enjoy it so that's the main thing. Jack has been so spoilt with way too many toys and MIL bought him even more clothes. He's really happy, he loves his presents. Meanwhile we need a bigger house to store them all LOL!

I feel for you Kate..last night Kirsten woke once at 230am, and I met my mum today and she said "you look terrible, what's wrong?"!

Hope things are starting to look up now though!

Happy belated birthday to Jack!

Hope everyone else is well!

Just back from Health Visitor check up..Kirsten is 12lbs 11oz..still small but a gain of 13oz in two weeks so thats good! She has also grown 3cm in two weeks apparently, she is very long and lean.

Got GP appointment for tomorrow for her skin, as health visitor thinks she needs to be referred to a dermatologist..hope they can help her as she looks really sore!!

Marion

x

Hey, where is everyone?

Thanks for the birthday wishes for Jack. He had a great day. He loves getting presents LOL!

Kate, glad to hear your night was going better. I hope that continued for you. Maybe you have turned another corner - I hope you are on the home straight now.

Marion, poor little Kirsten. I hope you can find something to help. LOL at your mum. I think I just look terrible all the time so no-one comments LOL.

Tom has had an unsettled couple of days. He hasn't gone down easily for day sleeps and has woken at least twice in the night, and then been unsettled between 4am and 6am. He's also been feeding more often. It seems to be that he is going through another growth spurt, teething, had a sore belly and been overtired all at the one time. He did a huge poo this morning and went to sleep easily so hopefully he will be a bit better today. Friday night Jack woke in the night and came into our room (VERY unusual) so we've had a few disrupted nights this past week. I am feeling it now!

On the plus side Tom seems to be growing up so much. He is laughing a lot, rolling and moving around heaps more, holding his head up even higher when on this tummy and holding things and putting them in his mouth more easily. He will even entertain himself on his playmat for ages at a time now, something Jack always did as a baby but Tom didn't start doing until about 3 months. He doesn't go to sleep in the sling or car as easily now either, a sure sign he's getting older!

Well, another dirty nappy beckons (Jack this time). Hope everyone is well....

Just have to share my news! Charlie sat unaided for the first time today! And he's only 4 months old. I couldnt believe it. I sat him on the floor and he was pretty steady so i let go and he just sat there for like 10 seconds. Enough for me to get 4 photos in too! the photos are on his website in my sig.

Yay, well done Charlie! What a clever little boy! That's so exciting Tegan.

We had a horror night last night. Tom fed every 2 hours (guzzled more like) and grizzled in between. He is definitely teething but I'm not sure if he's sick as well. He has a runny nose and is doing more poos than usual, he's drooling heaps and pulling at his ear as well as shoving everything into his mouth. All signs of teething but he seems so miserable and isn't sleeping so I can't tell if there's anything else wrong as well. He has no fever so I guess I'll just keep an eye on him and see how he goes. Jack is at kindy today so I'm hoping Thomas sleeps well so I can too!

Mel, if Tom is pulling his ear he may have an ear infection. So i would get that checked just to be on the safe side. But all the other signs definatly sound like teething.

Thanks Tegan. I hadn't thought of that. Jack has never had an ear infection so it's kind of off my radar now (got to love that BM!). I think I'll get that checked out now.

Tegan - that is so great, love the pics!

Melanie - I think Kirsten is teething too, she is also drooling and eating her hands, and looks pale and off colour, and she woke us at 3am for a feed when she usually sleeps through!! She was also pulling her ear last week but seemed well.

Marion

x

I took Tom to the doc as he got worse. He is sick but nothing serious. His temp is still high despite panadol but there's not much more I can do as it's viral. He has been asleep for over 2 hours now, which is brilliant as he hadn't slept for longer than half an hour all of last night and today. And he was crying nearly the whole time he was awake poor thing. Hopefully he'll feel better when he wakes up (and hopefully he'll have a long sleep now to make up for all the missed sleep).

Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a few days and I lost you! Took me a while to find the new thread. LOL.

Trying to for G&T to be on their tummies more often but find even after 20sec there is a pile of chuck under them and all over their faces, if it wasn't chuck it would be a funny photo opportunity! LOL. They have been monsters during the day-cat napping. Although yesterday they made up for it which was good, I was able to get some things done around the house. It's so hard with this hot weather to do anything and to dress them appropriately for bed. I'm finding they are going to bed in just a singlet and nappy and a sheet (our house is hot!) and then at 3am they are cold and wake up crying-fair enough. Last night I put them in their light cotton sleeping bag and that seemed to work, but Gemma started sooking at 4.50am, 10min before DH alarm goes off luckily, I feel horrible when it's 1hr before his alarm. I took the easy way out and brought her into bed with me. After about 20min we both fell asleep until Teagan woke us at 7.30am. LOL.
    We went to the RCH to get G&T checked up for their constant snuffy noses. This has been going on since I brought them home from hospital and Gemma has sleep apnea. He didn't seem to concerned as they are putting on weight and feeding etc. There was no need to do anything invasive if its not bothering them-which is fine with me. He also noticed Gemma's flat spot and said he would get her appointment moved forward as it is quite pronounced-REALLY!!!???? At least they are ok.
    Christy So glad you're getting better. I hope the scaring isn't too bad, but then if you're like me it wont matter it would blend in with the stretch marks, LOL.

Mel R You know what if they want food, feed them. Did you ask that silly MCHN if she can settle a hungry baby? What a silly thing to say. I have a FANTASTIC MCHN she is wonderful, not condescending and just a warm and caring person. She "suggests" things rather than telling you what to do which makes you feel better as a Mum. There is nothing worse than being told "Don't do that" as a first time Mum-it makes me cry and feel hopeless. Do what makes your life happy, that's what I find works for me! Hope his teething calms down, I'm dreading it!
    Emma I hope things can be sorted out for you. I had a serious talk with DH and told him that I wasn't happy and I felt that he wasn't happy. It all came down to him stressing about finances and it was bringing him down and taking it out on me and G&T. It all came out and things have been better since. I had to tell him I felt otherwise a full blown arguement would have been building up.
    Tegan Great news about Charlie. How exciting. G&T are a bit behind by the sounds of it development wise, not sure if its anything I'm possibly not doing right or its because they are twins. I've been told twins can be a little bit slower with some developmental things. I know I shouldn't compare.

Can I just ask out of curiosity, can you all let me know the weights and lengths of your bubbies? I want to know where G&T are.

Gemma was at last weigh in 6.2kgs 57cm
    Teagan was 5.6kgs 57cm

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast