Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #17

Heya all,

A first! Ryan went to sleep in my arms and then let me put him in bed all smiles and fell asleep ON HIS BACK! Woohoo! Not a tear! Yesterday he was screaming and puking and rubbing his eye but today (so far don't want to jynx it) he's been great except he hit me with a bit of a chunder but wasn't much lol.

Peta- Ryan doesn't have a bath routine it's usually in the mornings before daycare as he usually does a poo before sleep or first thing so it makes him all clean about 20minutes after a feed (and the backsplash) but if he gets home and he's really yuck I'll bath him quickly again. When he's at home with me I usually don't bath him every day if he's not all that dirty i'll just strip him and give him a quick whipe over as his noggin gets very dry.

ETA- Kim how are you feeling now you poor thing?
    His eye is nearly back to normal today all the redness has gone and there is no yellow gunk it's just a tiny bit swollen but I think it should be 100% by tomorrow. I'm so relieved it was so swollen and the red ring was so bad I woke up at 6am but he was laying on his bad eye so I didn't want to wake him to look. Had my and his bag packed just incase it was a rush to the hospital job but nope looks almost the same as the other one!! Woohoo!! So relieved!

Nickers- big hugs you poor thing I'd be so annoyed if that happened to Ryan, as you said you need to deal with them afterwards! Sounds like you've already tried to explain it all to her so I have no advise except I guess to just avoid where possible! How are they today?

Trish- glad to hear that you got a decent sleep probably help with your sinusitis too! Ryan slept from 7pm to 7am it makes the world of difference!

Mo - OMG, I can't believe your MIL gave Maddi chocolate!!! I would have hit the roof! What is it with grandparent's wanting to be the first to try out food on the grandkids? Why can't they respect our wishes??? Sorry, that just made me really mad and gives me flashbacks of my own MIL with Joel!!!

Peta - I give Kieran a feed, playtime then bath and bed. A lot of other people reverse it and give their bub a bath, feed then bed. I don't think the order matters, it's just what works for you and your bub.

Willow - Your DS WILL sleep through the night soon, I promise!! I'm sending some sleepy overnight vibes to him today! I hope today goes well for you, it is so hard when you have to do it all by yourself.

Celtic - Woohoo for Ryan falling asleep all smiley! I'm glad his eye is improving too.

Kim - Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

I'm feeling pretty shocking today. I have waves where I feel horrible with sweating, nausea and overwhelming tiredness, I find it hard to stand upright. Then I will feel semi-OK for a little while. I'm so glad DH is home, it's great having someone to look after Joel while I feel so [email protected] Will this thing EVER go away???

Trish-I told Phil she wont be looking after her alone for awhile. She has made a lot more effort to be nicer to me now. I know what you mean they got to experience it with their kids why can't we experience the same thing.
    hope you feel better soon.

Celtic- glad Ryan's eye is improving.

Kim- hope you feel better soon

Re-The Meet-up I'm happy for it to be this Sunday still if everyone else is.

ETA-How do you do the olive oil for craddle cap? Maddi seems to be getting it.

Mo - I'm still happy with next Sunday if everyone else is? Re: cradle cap, I think you kind of brush the olive oil thru their hair and leave it for a while (some people leave it o'night) then wash it out. I used Bicarb soda (just from the supermarket) for Kieran. I added a little water and made it into a smooth paste, then at the start of his bath I would rub it on his head like shampoo and leave it in. At the end of his bath I would rinse it out. I did this over a week and it is now completely gone. It started to soften after the first couple of washes and gradually just disappeared.

OMG Mo i would have hit the roof too... Funnily enough MIL said to me yesterday so does Tyron have food aswell? I said NO he is only 3 1/2months old and does not need anything, i made it quiet clear and if i found out she attempted to give him anything i would have gone off my tree.

Bathtime- usually evenins here aswell. At first i was only bathing Ty every second night but i like having the bath time as part of his daily routine. its mostly AFTER a feed but a few occasions when he has been awake when he should have been asleep and i was bathing Nixon anyway i bath him before his next feed.

olive oil- all i did was pour some into my palm and rub it over Tyrons head, i then lightly used my nails to scratch over his head which loosens a lot of the cradle cap. I did it twice a day for two days and it was all cleared up. I didnt leave it in on his head o/n maybe a few hours before his bath?

becky Guest

Nerida - Glad you had a great birthday!!

Lauren - So glad you didnt have to end up going to the hospital! Poor little guy!

Mo - Yeah that would be soooooo annoying! Im also lucky my PIL live in Adelaide. See them once a year, if that! LOL

To all the sick mummies - Is everyone just fluey? Or do you think there could be more baby news coming? Kim???? Trish???? LOL (dont you just love how a woman only needs to feel a little queasy and thats the first thing evryone asks! LOL)

Peta - Do I have you on FaceBook? Dont think I do....

Im an evenbing bather here too. W have a routine. After dinner, DH baths Liam and I do Chels. Then its usually a little cuddle or play, a bottle and then bed about 8-8.30!
    Have a great day ladies!

rallybbek Guest

Hi Everyone.
    My gosh, I have missed out on so much, you girls talk a lot! I hope everyone is well. Toby and the girls are great and toby is growing so much! Feels like i blink and he has grown a bit more! Emma started kinder last week and feels like a big grown up girl! I am still having trouble with my inplanon. I am feeing depressed, really b****y and putting on weight like anything, I am going to have it out on tuesday.
    Catch you all.
    Bec

I used to bathe L every second day, but now that it is summer he gets so sweaty and smelly I bathe him every day in the late afternoon. Our routine is usually feed, play, bath, sleep. Sometimes depending on how much he has had to eat I might do a top up feed after his bath. I have just started to use some of the J&J bath wash (in purple bottle). Smells so nice. It nearly put me to sleep just smelling it.

MILs! Just 'cos they have raised kids they think they know it all! Haven't been brave enough to leave L alone with mine - for many reasons. She is happy to help in other ways so I indulge her in that. My MIL is obsessed with burping L, even burping him when he doesn't need it! LOL.

Trish - you poor thing. Hope you get better really soon.
    Celtic - good to hear the eye is clearing up.

Not much else happening.

i'm obviously too slack to open a txt file to keep track of what's been said so i'll just stab at it randomly...

MILs: mine is an ex-nurse/midwife, so while she does have some strong ideas, she is usually very good. only because her MIL was an absolutely overbearing witch-hag. so... she sleeps him on his side with rolled up blankies... but he likes it, and she did that with DH so i don't complain

she did, however, give DH solids at 3 months because he was a piggy. she had chronic mastitis (abscess) so didn't have a choice with a hungry baby-DH on her hands. i will give her daggers of death if she tries any of that on the wee boy before time! she knows i have supply out the wazzoo so she's treading carefully.

bathing: every night at the same time, jj will have a shower with his dad. DH will usually sing some super busted song that he makes up on the day. he picks the resonating frequency of the shower so james will mostly crash on his chest and listen to the bass. he has fallen asleep in there a few times. it is the highlight of his day. i'm waiting with the hoodie towel and i spirit him away to his table and wrap him in a second towel (yes, this is elaborate but it works for a very active boy).

i rub him dry through the towels, then uncover a limb at a time to dry him (like the nurses sponge-bath deal). then it's nappy and jammies and he's ready for bed, which DH also does. by that time of the day i'm ratty so it's better for DH to do it.

usually jj is so relaxed he'll just crash in no time and stay asleep. luxury i tells ya.

what else...

oh... what is a pandora bracelet? *goes off to google*

does anyone here have a bumbo? i'm so getting one. look at this cute Dr Who-esque Bumbo video on youtube: 'Ready-Set-Bumbo'

latest question: what is your general state? are you tired? coping? feeling like you're not coping? a mixture?

oh, and another question:

is you baby in a playgroup? is it redundant to take a 3 mth old to a playgroup knowing he can't really do much?

/post

Just popping in to say thank you for the well wishes for Ryan his eye is now back to normal woohoo! Trying to get him down for the night now, hope all is well for everyone and keep well!

Viv - a pandora bracelet is like a modern day charm bracelet. My DH got me one for xmas and I want every charm there is!! Seems to be the 'in' thing in Sydney, well where i live anywhere, not sure about anywhere else, but here every second chick I see has one. They're so popular that the shops are all sold out of stock after xmas which might be a good thing in my case The concept is that you get charms for important life events: ie getting married, having babies. I have the little boy and girl charms for my babies, and the angel for the baby we lost. A fish that represents my DH (hehe, the man is obsessed with fishing), getting the wedding cake for our anniversary etc etc. They're a lot of fun!

Am I coping?? Most of the time. Much better than a few weeks ago. Going to sleep school tomorrow so bit nervous about that. Hoping they tell me we're doing all the right things and he'll 'get it' in time. If they don't I'll be a bit of a basket case. Can't help but stress over this sleeping stuff. Am I tired - yes! I think DS is the only baby in here who's not sleeping through!!

Celtic - woohoo for Ryan's eye!

We had another very busy day and DS is overtired after not getting enough sleep. I feel like barricading us all in at home for a week so he has a chance to get back into his routine. I guess that's the life of a second child, gotta fit in around the rest of us....

I think I'm in for one hell of a night though....

Viv - generally I think I am coping well. I am so enjoying watching L discover new things. Today it was watching himself in a mirror. We are getting the day sleeps down really well and he is feeding well too and putting on mega weight which I think has helped his sleeping. How u going?

Willow - L is not sleeping thru every night yet. Last night he went down at 11.15 but I was up and down to him until 11.45. We were then up at 4 again at 6 and again at 8. By that time I was stuffed so DH took over and I went back to sleep until 11.30! I am sure you will find what works for you at the sleep clinic tomorrow. Let us know how you go!

DH has just clipped L's nails seeing I can't be trusted with that LOL. He is now going down for the night, so I will get some dinner organised. Asian style pork and noodles. Yum.

Willow - Good luck tomorrow! I can't wait to hear how it goes! Hope tonight is a good one for you.

Saffi - So glad Lachlan is doing so well! What a good boy for his mummy!

Celtic - Yay for Ryan's eye!

Viv - I don't have a Bumbo, I never really needed one for Joel. I used to have a couple of Bebe Pods in my shop which are pretty much the same thing. They got snapped up really fast! My general state: sometimes tired, sometimes cranky, sometimes loving every minute! I think I am coping really well with two kids, I thought it would be a lot harder than it is. Maybe it is as hard as I thought, but I just cope because I love them both to death?! How are you finding life as a mum?

Rallybbek - Wow, we haven't seen you in here for ages! I've thought of you and wondered how you are getting along with three kids. GL getting the Implanon out on Tuesday.

Becky - LOL no baby news here! Sorry to disappoint! Nup, just got a sinus infection. So does my next door neighbour and so does my mum, seems to be going around.

Nic - Is your DH going away to work again this week? If so, good luck this week supermum!

Hi to everyone else and good night!

Kim and Trish - hope your feeling better!

Saffi - how cute that you heard Lachlan laugh! I can't wait to hear Tahlia let out a giggle, I think she is close!

Peta - I dont have a bath routine at all... sometimes its in the morning, sometimes the arvo and sometimes at night... it depends what else is happening

Willow - good luck tomorrow with the sleep school! Hope it solves your problems for you

Peta - way to go on the long sleep for Kaylee! 11 hours is a great stretch!

Mo - I tried the bicarb soda with Tahlia too, and it cleared it up quite quickly.

Trish, Mo and Kim - I'm still happy to meet up this Sunday if everyone else is. My sister and niece might be coming too, if no one objects!

Viv - I didn't even know what a gumbo was till I googled it, so hadn't really planned on getting one

In regards to your question, sometimes I feel like I'm not coping, especially with the settling stuff... I've tried this self settling and leaving her in her cot grizzly, but I can't get it to work and she ends up hysterical.. that makes me feel like I'm not coping. I think I need to take baby steps with her, she is used to falling asleep on the boob, and all of a sudden I'm leaving her alone in her cot... must be a shock to her system. I'm going to try un-attaching her when she starts getting sleepy, and see if she can then drift off herself, then when we have that mastered, I'll try the cot. It's too hard! I end up crying just as much as her.... (sorry ladies for the whinge...)

I'm also interested to hear peoples thoughts on play group, even though they can't play, do they still benefit from looking around at other kids? Tahlia seems to have fun when we are at mothers group and all the bubs lie on the floor together, but they don't actually 'play'

in fly's supermum! LOL Trish far from it me thinks!

i used to have a charm bracelet! still got it but no longer wear it. hmmm birthday present that might be nice, dh is good at buying earings for me but i have heaps now and no bracelets to match!
    bumbo seat- never got one but love the idea. u know u can take it if u go to someones house, park, picnic whereever and use it like a high chair to feed them in. i bid on a few a while back never won and then never got one.
    celtic- thats great news and i hope he went down ok tonight!

Am i coping: I think im doing real well MOST of the time. the first 6 weeks for me were a ride off though, horrible to say because Tyron was just a newborn and Nixon trying to adapt to a baby brother but i really did struggle for that period. I really think all my bf troubles just snowballed it all and when i stopped trying to force him on we all became a lot more calmer and happier.

i started a thread on it asking if babies could tast the difference between breast milk & Formula. anyway im convinced this is true, tonight i gave Ty a bottle of EBM (which are really few and far between these days) He took 30min to drink 150ml did not spill a drop and oh my god he look like he was in heaven. i got all teary again thinking if only he would do this on the breast but then smiled thinking well look how happy this little boy is! It was "our " moment...... maybe i also felt emotional cause it may be his last ever ebm bottle, im struggling to get much and not giving up until the last drop is squeezed but also not going to increase expressing or take anything because its too demanding on me.

becky Guest

Bek - Sux your having probs with Implanon. I am so happy with mine! Havent really had any side effects whatsoever, exceot for really light and sparse periods!!! (Who's complaining????)

Viv - That bumbo clip was hilarious! I had never heard of them before. ROFL!Yeah I think I am coping pretty well too. I dont have much choice, having 2 babies! Ya just gotta keep on going. Like everyone, I probably have my days when I count the minutes til DH gets home, but overall, Im lovin my babies ta bits!!

I took Liam to playgroup when he was 1, and there were a heap of babies there too, all around 3 months. Liam was one of the older kids. At this stage, they didnt seem to do a lot (well anything really), but I think it just gets Mum and Bub into a routine, and gets them used to it as they get older. I might look into it again in the next few months. Although I dont think we have any really good playgroups around this area.

I have been soooooo bad this weekend! Choccies, junk food everything!!! Feeling so guilty with myself, after I was going sooooo well! Oh well, its done now. Back on the diet Super-Strict tomorrow!!

Oh, by the way, I have updated some photos on the kids' website too if anyones interested!
    Last edited by becky; February 3rd, 2008 at 11:33 PM.

LizzysMum Guest

Very quick post!

Mo - WTF with your MIL?? Does hes realise that is the chocolate had traces of peanut in it Maddi could be seriously affected, perhaps permanently? That is WAY over the top IMO. You poor thing.

Must go, children calling,

To all those with two+ kids I say you all deserve a medal! Ryan is the happiest and easiest thing ever but the thought of two of them right now *just imagines the sleep deprivation* I'm one of these people that NEED unbroken sleep EVERY night or WATCH OUT reow hiss grr arg lol.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast