Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #2

well it sounds like all the mummys with other children are going through the same thing.
    Im sorry you are all going through it but it does give me some releif to know its not just my child thats turned into a monster! a couple of things my sis told me (she has 18m gap also) try getting the elder child more involved so he/she feels like their helping. Like maybe (if a girl) buy a doll that can be fed a bottle or change a nappy. I was thinking of buying Nixon a teddy bear that he can feed so he can sit next to me and feed his teddy when i feed Nix!
    Or find something that really gets their mind going, Nix LOVES wiggles so ive put that on when trying to feed, or got out his building blovks because that keeps him very occupied.
    Or even throughout the day when unpacking the dishwasher or folding clothes (even though they prob make more work) let them help.

Ange- unfortunatley we are no better off here re: feeding. Ive stopped trying as many feed times its just to draining, exhausting and frustrating to try every single time. I was chatting with the LC from hosp yesterday and just said to her i really dont think i can keep trying. But then when a feed comes around i go "oh maybe give it a go cause this might be his turn around!" Im a glutten for punishment because i only end up dissapointed when the same thing happens. As the LC said i need to start enjoying my baby instead of cringing etc every feed time.
    Still expressing and hoping by the time i start to dwindle it down i have enough for a whole months supply, that will be an acheivement in itself and atleast one positive can come out this experience.

Kim- Jas is still getting used to things, your hormones are still going a wall so try not to beat yourself up. I know what u mean though i spent half my day on Saturday crying over things when i should have been enjoying the time i had alone just me and Ty.

Ty kept me up a good amount of the night also. DH gave him his last night feed (there is one positive about the bottle!) at 10.30pm, he woke at 1.30am i got everything ready and he fell back asleep (on me though) so we slept together till 3am fed etc but didnt settle well after it.

Does anyone else find you put bub down finsih up, turn off the lights lay down and then he wakes up????? this just kept on happening last night i was getting very over it by 5am!

Saffi- thats great re; Lachlans weight gain!

Q for those bottle feeding: How long does bub take to drink the bottle? Ty seems to guzzle so quickly, i pull him up 3 times for a burp but i think cause he drinks it so quick this might be affected his unsettleness after the feed. If he was on the boob im sure he'd be taking 30min plus but the bottle its gone in 10. Ive just started adding the thickener to the EBM which has made a SLIGHT improvement. not a lot of difference though.

Sounds like there are a few of us having fun with the older child not adjusting so well. It's nice to know it will get better soon! Joel is actually behaving fairly normally today, I think he is used to his daddy being home now and is feeling a bit more secure. I may not be saying this by the end of the day though!

I rang the maternal child health line this morning because I was up all night with Kieran and he has been really unsettled since Sunday night. His tummy seems to be in a fair bit of pain and he cries heaps before a burp, spew or poo (sorry, that sounds so gross!). He wants to be held upright a lot. I was up all night re-settling him between feeds which drove me crazy. This morning I just put him on my chest at 6:30 and lay down and we both went to sleep finally! The nurse I spoke to said he may be feeding too often which is giving him a tummy ache. She said to try and stretch him out to 3 hourly feeds. This will be interesting as he seems to want to feed every 2 1/2 hours, but I will give it a shot. If that's all the problem is I will be very relieved. Ahh, the fun of it all!

Amelia Guest

Kim - I was like that the last couple of days DH was still at home. He went back to work last Thursday and I cried all day Wednesday over nothing!! Hormones still going wild don't help at all.

Sorry to hear about all the little naughty children out there!! I was 7 years old when my lil sis was born and I remember helping mum out alot like just handing her the wipes and the nappy rash cream. Maybe get your little ones to help out in that aspect. I know it might add a bit more time to the whole routine but it might settle them down a bit.

Yesterday was our first outing by ourselves. I had to go to the Dr's cause I have busted the centre of my scar and it is infected! :-'( Considering we went out in the morning....On public transport mind you, I got alot done. Did 3 loads of washing, dusted the lounge, kitchen and dining. Folded a whole queen size beds worth of cloths. And had dinner ready by 6pm instead of 8!! Not having DH around I think is better, I am getting more done....Lol!!

Re: Feeding and Sleep Patterns - I am getting between 4-6 hours out of Rhys. Normally 4-5 during the day and 6-7 at night. Which is a god send I suppose considering what some of you are going through. He was waking every 3 hours up until the weekend.

Trish - Kieran is GORGEOUS and looks so peaceful in that picture!!

I am going to have to return 3 boxes of Huggies Newborn Nappies this weekend and get the Infant size cause my piglet is just about out of them!! He is getting weighed on Friday so it will be good to see what he has put on in two weeks since his last appointment. He was 4580g at his last appt.

Well I am off to have a nap while he is sleeping.....It's raining here, I love sleeping in the rain!!

xxoo

Does anyone know where you can get bubs weighed in between maternal health nurse appointments?

In Melbourne i am not sure, i know in Sydney some chemists have MW one day every week or fortnight that u can just show up to get them weighed and checked etc.
    When i was living in Melb i asked a few of my local chemists but none of them did it, so not sure if they dont do it at all down there or just around where i was looking. Maybe u can even call the MCHN and ask if there is somewhere u can go? i was always told if i was concerned i culd just take Nixon down just for a weigh in too.

Amelia- ouch to your infection.... maybe cause your doing too much! but i know what u mean, stuff just needs to get done hey. and i think im getting more organised since dh is not here.

Melb cup ive backed Purple Moon! amongst a whole heap of other numbers for birthdates etc!

Here in Perth, some of the chemists have a nurse or m/w on once a week who does weighing etc... also at my local child health centre they have a free open clinic once a week for a couple of hours - you can just pop in, get your baby weighed and ask any questions you have! I would ask your MHN, I'm sure she could tell you!

Bottle = Kaylee isn't really in a routine, and can take anywhere from 15-mins to a couple of hours of stop-start to finish a bottle depending on how she is feeling and what mood she is in... I find when she guzzles the bottle she does get a lot more wind. The drawn out feed is usually just for her afternoon/early evening feed. She is getting a lot better at feeding and settling within 30-60mins overnight, thankfully!

Though last night around 10.00pmish Kaylee had a very loud, high pitched scream = sounded horrid, like she was in the worst pain ever... eventually I got her to calm down and to sleep. Then she slept from around 11pm - 2.30am.

Jasmine is all over the place with feeds. Some days she wont go more then 3 hours...others 6-8 hours. I have always been told not to wake for feeds, so i dont. Unless we have to go out somewhere and i dont want to take a bottle (even tho if things didnt go to plan i still could BF). Takes her about 10-15 minutes to guzzle it all down...2 burps.

Re outtings with bubs.....Jasmine was 1 day old and we were out and about to the shops....i dont like staying home so we are often out and about.

Well, I stretched Kieran out for 3 hours (put him in the Baby Bjorn when he woke up and we all went for a walk), I put him in his rocker after his feed and he was perfectly settled for the first time since Sunday night!!! I have just put him down for a nap and hopefully we will have the same success as before. Think I might try get a sleep in too!

new thread time everyone

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789