Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #21

I noticed you hadn't posted in a while Leah . Sound like Amara is doing really well!

Kellie - If I were you I wouldn't be starting solids either, Tahlia is doing perfectly

Julia - Thanks for the sleepy vibes, I need as many as possible!

Willow - Yep there is a 4 month check up LOL! We had ours last week, that's when our MCHN suggested solids because K seems so hungry and milk isn't enough for him anymore.

K got another reaction to the teaspoon of Farex I gave him earlier so I might go and look for a rice cereal that is JUST rice (no veggie oil, etc). Tried him with potato and he wouldn't have a bar of it! It'd prefer to wait until he is 6 months too, but I can't stand these sleepless nights and I need to give it a go for my own sanity.

Not going on solids here yet either, not because of the weight but i want to want til 6 months, no other reason. Of course if Jas needs it then i wont say No....but would rather wait as long as possible.

No rolling here either Leah but trying very hard....gets on her side then stops...or Chelsea helps her to go all the way

Trish - can I ask how why you think K isn't satisfied with just milk anymore?? I assume L is but I don't know?! LOL Would I know if he wasn't? Is it because K is waking overnight? With DD I introduced solids at about 5 and a bit months because I thought it would help her sleep through the night - it didn't So promised myself I wouldn't do it this time. The other reason is because of his weight, he is a chubby bubby and I don't want him to get to the point where he is overweight, iykwim? It is very tempting at times though!!

What if you tried one of the other brands of rice cereal? There's an organic one from memory, can't remember the brand. Don't blame K for not liking the potato, from memory pureed potato was a bit grey and murky! LOL. DD didn't want a bar of it either! I think I only made it for her once until she was able to have it mashed.

Willow - I mentioned to the MCHN that he is waking 2 hourly o'night and she seemed to think he is hungry. I have been able to resettle him without a feed (usually around 1am and 3am), but I am going mental from having unbroken sleep. I think he may be hungry because he is a big boy, much bigger than Joel was and Joel slept through at this age with no probs. The MCHN said because he is bigger he probably needs more. Kind of make sense to me, but I could be wrong. I was going to have a look for that organic cereal tomorrow. I dunno, I'm just a bit over it all atm

i have had an "under average" baby and an "above average" baby

i used to get upset when ppl used to tell me how small Nixon was all the time but i look back now and think why??

Nixon @ 4months was 5.2kg and 59cm
    Tyron @ 4months was 7.6kg & 65cm

Now all the comments i get about Ty are how huge he is, but i dont let it bother me either, we cant, otherwise we'd go insane!
    a lot of ppl do just ask these questions just as a general convo too.

nicknames:
    Ty
    bubby (mostly Nixon calls him this)
    fat sticks
    chubby checker
    cheeky
    boofa
    gorgeous
    cutie pie

haven't started solids yet, hoping to wait till atleast 6months

Awww Trish - I didn't realise K was waking 2 hourly overnight?! When did that start? I know you mentioned you'd had a few bad nights with him but I thought they were one offs? I know what you mean about broken sleep, its been 4 months since I've slept longer than 4.5 consecutive hours (well actually a lot longer when you think of the crappy sleep during prg!!) and it does take it's toll. I agree with the bigger babies probably being a bit more hungry, as you know L is still waking overnight for feeds. But like I said, unfortunately with DD introducing solids didn't make much difference probably until she was on 3 full meals a day and I just don't think L is ready for that yet when he's thriving on breast milk alone. But if you think it's going to help K then go for it!

Just remember hun, it's perfectly NORMAL for babies this age to wake at night for feeds (but I agree two hourly is a bit hectic!). I know it's probably hard for you because Joel did sleep through and it's a bit of a shock, but I promise you at this age more babies are probably waking than sleeping through. Thankfully it doesn't last forever! One day we will sleep again!!

Thanks Willow . I know it can be normal, but I suppose it's hard because Joel did so well and I can't help but wonder if I am doing anything wrong or if there is something wrong with K that I'm not aware of. I'm spending a lot of time wondering if he has an ear infection/sore throat/is hungry/in pain...He has been waking 2 hourly for a couple of weeks I guess, it's all a blur! I have had a couple of good nights in there too, I just want MORE good nights lol! He has never been a good night sleeper though. You're right, one day we will sleep again!! *prays it is sooner rather than later* Thanks again matey, it's nice to know someone cares.

Trish- I brought Bellamy's rice cereal for Maddi.(it's organic)
    She wasn't as chucky on it as she was on farex.

Maddi was like that Trish that's why we got into co-sleeping because it was the only i would get sleep.
    I remember she would wake every 1-2hrs & then wouldn't go back down til 2-3hrs later.
    Hope the organic cereal helps

Trish - Hmmmm, just thinking out loud here, do you think it could be a growth spurt and by not feeding him overnight it's actually prolonging things iykwim? Babies wake more frequently for feeds when they're trying to build your supply up to keep up with their needs, so by not feeding him, the supply remains the same and he gets hungry and round and round you go?? Anyway, if it is hunger, hopefully some organic rice cereal in his little belly will help sort it out.

I don't know, just trying to help babe but tell me to buzz off if I'm out of line!

I get the ear ache thing...I was doing the same thing with DD when she started waking! Ironically, one of her ears was a bit red and inflamed - have you had him checked over by your gp?
    Last edited by Willow; March 11th, 2008 at 08:59 PM.

Like I'd tell you to buzz off Willow! Thanks for your thoughts, I am VERY open to suggestions right now!! I will give him another night or two and see how he goes, I think it was his cold bothering him last night. I don't want to form any night feeding habits though either, arrgh it's all so hard! I have had K checked over twice for ear infections and he was fine. Yesterday though he had loads of wax caked in his ear (I mean LOADS) and he was pulling at it, I called the child health line and the nurse said that if he doesn't have a temperature then he is probably OK. I will watch him though and take him to the GP if he keeps doing it. Thanks again, you're a great help

Mo - Thanks, I will look for that cereal. Did you get yours just from the supermarket?

Good night everyone, I need sleep!

Geez... Don't log in for a day and there are 2 and a bit pages to read. Could act paranoid and think you all get together when I'm not around LOL. Trying to remember what you all said but TBH only skimmed, so here goes:

Trish - I will PM you a receipe for rice cereal that you can make yourself if you are so inclined. Didn't end up buying rusks as I noted it said 6 months on the box. Had a carp night too, but more about that later.
    Viv - L's nicknames are Lochie, Mr Moo, Chicken, Mr Crankypants, Mr Squiggle, Mr Magoo, Lil Man, Lil Lochie, and Chubba Bubba.
    Amber - I'll FB you.
    Rebecca - hope Miss C's eye gets better. How are you going without DH?
    Celtic - WTG Ryan. He's a rolling machine now.

L's stats are 6.5kg, HC = 42.3cm Length = 61cm. After a bit of a slow start he is rapidly catching up.

Up every couple of hours also the last few nights. He is just feeding so often. When I put him down for his evening sleep, he had 200ml formula @6.30, 50ml EBM @7, and then another 140ml formula at 7.30. That can't be normal!

Anyway, bought some farex and a cute weaning bowl and spoon set today. I don't know if DH is keen on farex being L's first food, but seems that is what all the experts recommend. Going to work on my supply and increasing the amount of formula we give him per feed to see if that helps.

Thinking about hiring a hospital grade pump. Took 1.5 hours to get 200mls with my small pump. Seems my supply isn't so much the issue as the method of extraction. I'd be more inclined to keep L on milk if I could get a decent amount into him without taking all day to get it out IYKWIM.

Only 3 days and counting until our holiday in far north Queensland. Can't wait.

Nigh-night to all you lovely ladies and your bubs.

Morning all,

We had a better night last night, but still a fairly typical one. K woke at 1am and 3am, but settled with a dummy. By 3:30am he was hungry so I fed him and he slept until 7am (with one or two dummy settles). It was much easier than dealing with an unwell screaming baby, but I still would like to know why he wakes up. I don't mind doing one o'night feed, but I do mind getting up 3 or 4 times in between. Sorry for all my posts last night, I was feeling tired and sick and needed people who understood!

Willow - Thanks again, I really appreciate your words and help

Saffi - Thanks so much for PM'ing the rice recipe, I'm really touched that you went to the effort! I will let you know if I end up trying it out.

I will try my hardest not to post in here today, I feel guilty that I posted so much yesterday and filled up the thread. Poor Octomums who go away for a few days and then have to try and sift through all of my drivel LOL!

Have a great day everyone!

Trish - don't be silly, we love reading your drivel and we all drivel some days more than others!! Glad you had a better night with K, I hope they keep improving. You're welcome by the way, although I don't think I was very helpful

Saffi - that is a lot of milk in a small amount of time! The boy must be hungry! LOL.

Sorry to brag but we don't get a chance very often and I am so excited - we had our BEST night yet last night!! Put him down at 6pm, fed him at 9.30pm before I went to bed and he slept till 2.30am - count them ladies, thats FIVE hours!!!! then he slept through till 6.30am, fed him and put him back down and he had a bit more sleep, got him up at 7.30am!!

I know a lot of you are thinking 'that's not so great' but it is for us and helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Trish i just brought it from coles. i brought all the different types pf rice cereal i could find, now i have 3 almost full boxes if rice cereal & a little girl who doesn't like it lol.

Glad you had a better night Trish.

Willow that's great hope L keeps sleeping like that for you

Trish- dont be silly, i wish i was online last night to have replied. glad your night was a little better than the previous but i feel for you, getting good block of unbroken sleep really does affect your next day.
    unfortunatley i dont really know what to suggest yeah could be a growth spurt, but its been going on for so long now.....is he sleeping too much in the day or late afternoon? i try and have Ty's big sleep in the morning or early arvo then he stays awake a bit longer in the evening before bed time around 8-9pm.
    i cant remember are u still warpping? if so is he getting out & waking up? or maybe he is getting too hot or cold?
    i know u have probably gone through all of this already, sometimes someone will suggest something that u might not have come across yet.

willow WTG on the good sleeps! hope he keeps it up!

put nixon to bed at 7.45pm last night cause he was ferral, took him a while to go to sleep but he is still there now.8.30am. sometimes i think that kid sleeps too much?? yesterdy he woke at 7am the then slept from 10.30am-2pm,3.5hrs..... then was that cranky from 6pm but i dint think he could be tired he was.... he is 2 next month??

Nic - I think that's great sleep for his age! DD now still does 12-13 hours overnight and when she was still having her day sleeps it could be anything from 2-3.5 hours. I say enjoy it while you can cause it doesn't last forever! I still miss DD's day sleep...LOL!

Good morning all! First of all I have to say Trish - I am with you! Caitlyn doenst sleep much more than 2 hours per night most nights. Some nights I have some ripper nights but 8 days out of 10 its every couple of hours. She will resettle most of the time with a dummy or a pat and a cuddle but that can take up to half an hour.
    Was much much worse last night. Of course her eye is pretty yukky but much much better than it was Monday when I got her from daycare. Now of course she has a cold. runny nose, runny eyes (cold or conjunctivitis or both i dont know!) and a little cough. Took her to the Dr yesterday who confirmed conjunctivitis. Talked to him about the cold/cough. Not a lot I can do. I run the hot tap in the bathroom and lock us in for a few minutes which seems to help.
    Last night I go her down at 630, up at 745, down at 815, up at 930, down at 1030, up at 12 down at 1230, up at 2 down at 230, up at 4 down at 5 up at 645. That was my night!! Thank god I am not going to work today! I can barely function.
    Saffi: in response to your question about how I am doing with DH away - absolutely ****!! All I can say is thank god I started this meal replacement thing....otherwise I would not have time to eat! instead of having a real meal at night I am having something at lunch when C goes for a nap. He is trying to see if he can hurry up this TAFE (seeing as its 2nd year stuff and he's a 4th year!) but he doesnt hold out much hope.
    Names for Caitlyn (the nice ones I use lol)
    Little Miss C (sounds like missy)
    Pumpkin
    Pumpkin bum
    Bubby girl
    darling
    Poo face
    stinky butt
    baby girl
    thats about it - shes having a little sook now so will go see how she is! Have a gret day all!
    mwah

time for a new thread everyone

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910