Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #24

Trish i think it's because we have a bigger place now & all she does is roll, she tires herself out & forgets it bottle time.
    Also now she thinks shes a big girl & likes to feed herself the bottle that halfway through the bottle she drops it & starts rolling again. When u give it back to her she just plays with it.
    I'm sure it just phase as-well

We had a crummy night nothing to with M, Just my Mum being ill.
    Her sisters think it's time for her to goto a low care home, So now I'm getting her assessed within 4 weeks & because she's only 61 they might not take her, but with all her health issue's they are going to assess her for me anyway.
    Last night made her realize that it might be time for a higher level of care as-well.
    I now i feel crummy for even thinking about putting her in one

Hi Everyone,
    Well I hope you all had a better night than me. Ethan had his 6 month injections yesterday and now has come down with a cold. Not sure if it is from his injections or if he is sick. He woke every hour last night and at 2 stayed awake crying till 4 so I am exhausted. Doc told me yesterday that I need to do something about his sleeping as he is old enough to sleep through but not sure what to do. Talked to a tresillian nurse and have done everything that she suggested.

Today Ethan is really sad. Wont play unless I am holding him, wants the dummy all the time, crying a lot.

Sorry about the self absorbed post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mo - That's not good about your mum . We had to put DH's dad into care last year, he had a stroke 3 years ago and he just became too much for MIL to look after him. It was really hard for everyone, FIL was of course devestated (it really is his own fault that he had to go into care, but I won't go into it here), but it has been the best thing for everyone. MIL has some breathing space and FIL has people who can give him the care he wants. I know it is hard, but make sure you put you, Phil and Maddi first and do what is best for you all . It's so hard when it is someone you love, but your aren't abandoning her, you are getting her the care she needs.

Viv - Wow, I can't believe you he bashed you so good! You poor thing. It's hard when people ask what happened and you say your baby did it, not many people believe you! Hope you feel a bit better soon. Make sure you take photos and show him when he gets older!

ETA - Alz - Sorry Ethan has come down sick . There isn't much you can do other than give him lots of cuddles and keep his fluids up. I hope he gets better soon.

Alz - The word 'should' is carp.

Just so you know, it is about 25% of babies under the age of two who actually sleep through. You can drive you and your baby nuts trying to do it, or you can let it happen in their own time.

Do the usual things, bed-time routine, tank them up with food in the day etc but beyond that, if they wake, it's normal.

Paediatricians consider sleeping through as 5 hours straight for young babies.

It is much harder especially if you have a very alert, inquisitive baby who is stimulated by the slightest thing. Even the stereo light gives my monkey an excuse to wake up and look around.

He slept through at 8 weeks for a while, and has since done anything from one wake up to 5 (with teething).

Health professionals love saying 'they should' sleep through but a basic show of hands will prove that they don't.

Example... my friend's kid is formula fed, decent weight, wearing a grobag, self-settling when he first goes to bed but he still wakes up once, more during teething. so not even formula or any other supposed solution is guaranteed to work.

E will do what he wants. The last thing you should do is try controlled crying or anything that will cause physical and emotional stress to your whole family.

If the stress of being awake hurts you more than the stress of making your baby cry, then it's probably time to 'make him' sleep. If it's really not so bad, then you're probably like the rest of the mums (including me) creeping round the halls at night.

Tell the doc to bash it.

Look at the Dr Sears website for help. He's a doctor who actually loves babies.

Aww Mo! I dont have any advice but just wanted you to know we are here!
    Alz poor ethan! Needles suck I am sure he will be back to his cute self soon!
    Trish hope your lil man gets better soon!
    Viv interseting about the needles!
    Aww saffi! poor lil L he must have been out of sorts! Myles gets a bit like that too when he just wants to be at home with me! They dont like to share us see!
    Rebecca hope Caitly gets back into her routine soon! So glad her christening went well!

Not much happening here! Just been to the cloth nappy shop and bought more nappies! I am so hooked on MCNS!!!!!
    Myles is still a little grumbly but I am sure he will be fine soon as the teeth come through!

Have a great day girls x

Viv - ahhh, just the post I needed today, thanks babe! The last two days I've been really down about L not sleeping through, in fact not even looking like he's ever going to! We're getting to that age where every man and his dog are starting to tell me he should be and then tell me 'just resettle him instead of feeding him' - if 'just' resettling this boy was so easy, I wouldn't have a problem in the world!!

Have had food poisoning (on the mend now), DD has a rotten cold, L is being a turkey with his sleeps (please lord let it be teething!) and DD has decided in the last week that her favourite new play thing is her baby brother! So I have to constantly watch her with him.

Feel like the walls are closing in a bit this week....have organised coffee and breakfast with the girls on saturday morning, that should take the heat off for a while...

Sorry for no personals, will try to catch up later but just wanted to send Mo a big

Thanks Trish that makes me feel better & Thanks Amber & Willow
    Last night Mum went into a Diabetic Coma, We were lucky i tried to wake her for dinner & when she didn't wake up we got the ambulance here & she was fine after a couple hours at the hospital.
    She's had a few strokes 3 little 1 big one, Plus the hearts attacks. Now with the strokes she's getting more forgetful & that worries me alot.
    I guess I'll find out in 4 weeks if she can get into a home.

Trish-Hope K's Dr's appointment goes well & his ear starts getting better.
    Alz-Hope Ethan gets better soon.
    Amber-I know what you mean about the MCN's, I'm broke since we had to buy a new lounge suite but once i get some spare money I'm buying more lol.

LizzysMum Guest

HI All,

Sorry no personals I am supposed to be packing for our holiday tomorrow.....tell me why I pack for 3 people and DH just for himself????

Re: Sleeping through, I am with Viv, no signs of sleeping through here. I also have "people" telling me she should be. I suggest they come over and talk to Amara about that at about 3am.......

Still trying a bit of food here but she is not fussed.

I also hate needles - A had hers yesterday and we also had screaming all day poor love, at least we have a 6 month break now. Well Eliza has to have hers but she will just scream for 10 minutes or so.

Must go I really have to pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxx

Mo - That must have been so scary last night! I'm glad your mum is OK now. That's terrible that she has had three strokes and a heart attack. FIL had a major stroke and is paralysed down his left side (though he learned to walk again) and has frontal lobe damage. He was only 60 when he had the stroke and we didn't have many problems getting him in a home because of his age. He was put in temporary respite until a place could be found for him so that helped. I really hope it all works out for you, but if you need any advise let me know, DH is a bit of an expert in the field of nursing homes now, he pretty much organised it all for his dad.

Leah - Have a great time away! It'll probably be pretty cold out that way so pack some warm stuff!

Willow - I have to say you are doing a sensational job with L. It's so frustrating when people say "you really should be doing this/that". I have had that sooo much from my mum and sister, sometimes said in a subtle way, but I can read between the lines. I love them dearly, but it really gets to me sometimes. They are much tougher than me and have much more of a "tough love" approach to life compared to me, I'm too much of a softie. Keep doing what you are doing, I think you rock!

Viv - Really well said! I agree if you can keep hacking it, then do what you are doing, not what "they" say you should be doing.

I had to change what I was doing when I was about to literally have a breakdown. Not only was K waking up to 7 times a night, but he was miserable and clingy during the day. Add looking after a 3.5 year old, a household and small business and I just fell into a heap. I rang my mum two weeks ago saying "he finally broke me" and burst into tears. I'm not much of a crier normally so she took me very seriously and that's why she insisted I stay with her for a while. The break and getting his sleeping sorted has helped immensely. I still struggle to do basic things like housework and cooking, but we are getting there. I never thought things would get worse the older he got, I thought it would have gotten better and better, boy was I in for a rude shock! I feel sad as we had contemplated having a third baby, but after all of this I just don't think I could do it again. I really like the thought of raising 3 children, but I'm just not cut out for this baby stuff.

Phew, sorry about letting all of that out!

Trish - don't apologise at all and don't feel like you need to defend your methods!! We are all here to support each other, we are all in the same boat after all!! I think you're doing an awesome job with K. You and I have been blessed with these little turkeys who just aren't going to make mum's life easy! LOL. I just like to think how much 'character' this little tyke's going to have when he can walk and talk! I'm hearing you on the third baby...I don't think I can do the baby slog again...I think I'd lose my mind!

I just spoke to the nurse we saw at Tresillian. Now I know they get bad press around the boards but I stand by it when I say this chick is awesome. One chat with her and I'm feeling great again! She told me to just stick it out with his day sleeps, that it might be teething or it might be developmental. In the end if I stay consistent with my settling, it'll sort itself out again.

Now, as for night times...she told me that L's sleeping and feeding patterns are completely age appropriate! Alz - I remember from previous posts that Ethan's feeding patterns are almost identical to L's so I really don't think you should be concerned either.

I actually called their parents line yesterday and got a nazi...I told our nurse today what she said, her response was "that's appalling!" LOL!

She AGAIN encouraged me to follow my instincts (turns out I'm a slow learner ) and said that she doubts either L or I are ready to drop his feed/s and to start pushing him to sleep through the night. She agreed that it most likely wouldn't work anyway, he's been following this pattern almost from birth and she reckons it's just his little body clock and that these feeds are probably the times his blood sugar levels drop so his little body knows to wake for a feed....I swear we don't give babies enough credit for how clever they really are....

So feeling a LOT better about things now. I need to keep her number on speed dial methinks...
    Last edited by Willow; April 16th, 2008 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks Willow . I'm not defending my methods at all, I wouldn't change a thing after what I've just been through! I just thought I'd share where I was at, hopefully it makes others feel better about their own situations! That's great you got to talk to your favourite nurse, I'm glad she has made you feel better again. You ARE doing a wonderful job!

Fark, fark, fark, crap, crap, crap.............Man, i am not having a good week!
    I just went to the doctor because i thought i had some kind of eye infection, turns out i have shingles in my eye and on my nose.
    I have to start taking some special medication starting asap for 7 days. I can't breastfeed while taking it and i am a bit upset. Ok............. so i am alot upset!
    I have to give her formula as i dont have any EMB in the freezer and need to start this medication within 72hrs of the rash appearing, which means i need to start them today.
    I have to go and see an opthamologist tomorrow as apparently it can be pretty nasty when it is in your eye. I also have to rest as much as possible, yeah right.
    It has all been a bit much in one afternoon....... stressed and teary, pathetic i know. will come back and read all your posts after a cup of tea. Just needed to off-load.

Viv- i got the Karicare goat, how have you found it?

Oh no Ange . You are NOT pathetic, it must be horrible for you. I wish I could do something to help. Does Lu take formula? Rest up as much as possible and I hope you get better soon

Ange. Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow & more
    Make sure you try to rest.

Trish-Thank-you, Is your FIL in a low or high care home?

Willow & Trish i think you 2 are doing fantastically well & i honestly think the only reason M sleeps so well is because we co-sleep. When i try & move her to a cot I'm coming to you both for advice

Hey!

After the carp day yesterday L was a trouper overnight. He slept from 6pm to 3am and not a peep out of him that entire time. Then he was up at 6am and was awake for the day then. Been out and about again today and again very little sleep so hopefully he should sleep soundly tonight.

Not sleeping through here either. Last night proves that he can do long hauls its just a matter of programming him the appropriate time. Hoping that solids will do it for him.

Viv - so is there only one needle now and the oral? L is having his the week after next.
    Mo - thats tough about your Mum. Hopefully it will all work out for her (and you).
    Amber - great photos of Myles' naming day. Also saw the photos where he is standing. WTG Myles!! He'll be walking before you know it.
    Leah - have a great trip. I have to pack for both my boys (one is 35!). I am a chronic overpacker. Have to learn that we don't need so much especially if in a place that has laundry facilities.
    Trish - sometimes we mums need a circuit breaker to get us out of continuing to do what we are doing (when its not working that is). Seems like you have found yours and things are getting better for you. Blah to housework!
    Alz - sounds like E may have had a little reaction to the needles??? "Shoulds" can really do your head in. E will do things when he is ready and it really isn't helpful for the professionals to tell you something needs to be done and then not follow it through with what to do. I am learning there is no magic solution for anything when it comes to babies. Hope tonight is better for you.
    Ange - that's awful about the shingles. I had it when I was 38 weeks pg so I can totally relate. Hope you get better really soon.
    Hi to all the mummies I have forgotten to reply to.

Anyway got to pick DH up from work.
    Last edited by Saffi; April 16th, 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: message for Ange

Ange - that totally sucks babe, I would be devastated too. I hope the meds clear it up real fast and you can get back to feeding Lu asap.

ange - that is so carp. i'm devastated for you. are you going to keep expressing it while you're taking the pills so you can get right back to BF after you've finished the meds?

james took the goat's one straight up and looked around for more. he also took the nan 1ha mixed with a bit of ebm, though i think he'd do that straight up now too.

he was absolutely fine, and if anything had some fairly sturdy day naps when he had it. it's best for both of you to take the meds and do this so i guess you have to do it.

just make sure you keep your supply going. The guni will be hanging out for it. as for the rest, just take her to bed with you.

when i had my toe surgery and couldn't get up, it forced me to learn new ways to keep the kid with me in bed. i took his mat and toys, did the feeds in bed and co-slept. perhaps if you do up 24 hours worth of bottles in one hit you can dwell in the bed for bit.

Mo- Sorry to hear about your mum, must put alot of strain on your family. it is always a heart breaking decision to put a loved one in care, but there comes a point where it is best for everyone. Hope it works ok soon.

The wonderful Barb Glare, lactation consultant and BB regular, emailed the man in charge of drug information at monash medical centre on my behalf and then gave me his details to call him. He was amazing. The meds are perfectly safe to take, infact the same drug is given in very high doses intravenously to new born babies to prevent them getting genital herpes if the mum has them. Apparently not many drugs get recommended for pregnant or BF'ing ladies, even if considered safe, due to the possible legal repercussions, this guy was so knowledgeable and helpful.
    It is a service available to GP's and the community, so if you have any qn's about a medication i highly recommend phoneing or emailing him, details on this page; (mods i am pretty sure i am allowed to put this link.........)
    SHPA - Drug Information Centres
    Wish the GP phoned, would have saved a few tears!
    So although i will have a crusty, itchy, burning eye and face i can still BF.

Thanks for the bed rest tips turtle, i just need those fences you can get around your bed and i'll be set for the next week or so. (The rash and pain lasts 3-5 weeks!!!!!! )

Good old mum feels sorry for 'ol crusty face here, so she has taken tomorrow off to come and help me for the weekend. nice.

Thanks for the love ladies, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast