Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #3

LizzysMum Guest

Hi All,

Sounds like all the babies have well and truly "woken up" LOL. Happens around this time. Amara is also getting a big festy period usually from 7-10 or 11pm. Sigh...this too shall pass....

Saffi - re settling I try her in the snuggle bed or hammock or cradle whatever she is going in at the time and if it just isn't working I pick her up. All totally personal but I don't let my babies cry.

Viv - Thankyou, have not done a thing but have thougth I should get to it soon. I will probably just buy a pad from Big W, I am hopeless with that stuff.
    When inconsolable I put her straight in the HAB I borrowed from a friend it is the BEST thing ever. She goes straight to sleep every time. You will LOVE it. Biggest trick is learning how tight to put it on at the start so bub does not end up down on your tummy. They start of high at your chest and should end up at about boob height when the fabric stretches.
    Re - James feeding evey hour, I would go with it of you can, he must want/need it or he is stimulating you to make more milk for 2 days time when he will need it??? Amara fed like that fpr a day here and there too.

Louise - I hear you I never wake bub for visitors, they are not toys right. I am sure some (inlaws) woudl like to wake her but I am strict. If I know they are coming I will put her to sleep up in our room so they can't "accidentally" wake her.

We are in witching hour/s now and DH has her trying to calm her if it does not stop in 5 mins I am going the HAB!

Question from me for the day - To those who have other kids, what do you do with bub when you drop child 1 at preschool or daycare. Ours is a pit of germs and I am terrified of Amara getting something BUt I have to take Eliza and no-one can help out. I was thinking put her in the HAB and hope no-one pokes at her? any ideas?

Hi Ladies,
    question for the BFing mums - how many bubs out there are using dummies and how old were they when you introduced it?

Amelia Guest

Kellie - We are using a dummy when he wants to take it but it is very often!! Takes him about 20 minutes for him to latch onto it but once he does you can't get him off!! We started intoducing it from 2 days old!!

Kellie - We gave Tiera a dummy for the first time tonight! Took a few seconds and latched on it and wouldn't let go. I found it quite sad giving it to her as I thought we were doing so well without it and I am quite against them. On the up side she is a lot more settled and I have been told it helps settle wind (a bit). I'm not sure if I am going to keep her on it, but we'll see how it all goes.

Not BF here (yet...we will see how the LC goes this week) but we gave dummy from 3 days old..Jasmine hates it!! But offer it when she is in tears...spits it out most of the time.

Leah when we drop Chelsea off at care Jasmine stays home with me. I guess its easy for us cos we both always at home. Id put Amara in the HAB...but cover her over..people are less likely to wanna touch if they cant see her IYKWIM??

now bf and being using a dummy since the begining, mostly to try and encourage Ty to suck in the early days.

Louise- how is Sophie doing? Thinking of her... Hey i also ment to mention there is a NICU/Preemie mums thread with some very lovely ladies which you might find helpful to chat to about what you guys have been going through, there is a range on bubs born between 25-36weeks and everyone is really supportive.

well im going to attempt my first grocery shop with the boys today! plan to put Ty in HAB and Nix in trolley fingers crossed. Its only been 4 weeks since c/s but i think im right to drive... driving me insane not going anywhere!

and yeah im still learning how tight the HAB needs to be i tried to go for a walk the other day pushing Nix in his trike and poor Tyron end up his head below my boobs! gotta work on getting it on right first up!

Hi girls !

I never wake myles ever! If he is asleep i leave him!
    We wont be controll crying, but its a personal thing!I have read too much info on how it can affect them but there are always 2 sides to it so if its for you go for it! I try not to let him cry, he doesnt really cry much anyway!
    Myles doesnt have a dummy adn he doesnt really need one now!

Nic good luck shopping today!
    x

Nickers - haven't got around to posting in the premmies section yet, I posted there when Maria was born, but kind of felt a bit odd as my girls are and were only 5 and 6 weeks premmie, so nothing compared to some of the little ones.

my MCHN nurse told me last week to avoid the dummy for a while, but while she was screaming last night between 8 and 11, I was very tempted... she kept wanting to comfort suck at the breast, so I would let her, she'd suck for about a minute, fall asleep, I'd move her, she'd wake up and be back at square 1 again! I think if the dummies I'd bought had been sterilised she would have had it for sure! Does anyone know what is a good brand of dummy for a breast feeding baby?

Kellie - We have been using a dummy since Kieran was 3 days old. He was sucking his thumb, but kept gouging his eyes with the rest of his fingers so I thought it was safer to use a dummy! I gave Joel a dummy at around 5 days old. With both boys there weren't any problems with b'feeding since introducing the dummy because they were already feeding well. The MCHN said she was glad we were using one because it is a great way to settle bub (she is an absolute expert on settling babies, I didn't want her to leave!!). I wouldn't be without a dummy! Don't feel bad if you have to use one, sometimes your sanity is more important. With Joel I used the Nuk dummies which are a good shape, this time I am using the Avent dummies because they are a bit cheaper and seem to work fine. I was told those cheap Happy Baby dummies are fine too, but they used to make Joel choke because they are so long.

Vivienne - Re: what Nic said about possibly feeding too much - I rang the maternal child health line last week because Kieran seemed to be in so much pain with wind and was really unsettled all the time. I told the nurse that I was feeding him every 2.5 hours and she said that is probably too much and to try to stretch him out to 3 hours. She said his tummy probably wasn't getting enough time to recover and he was getting wind pain. He seemed to want to feed all the time, but she said this is a natural reaction when they are in pain. She said if he wakes early to try putting him in the pram or baby carrier and going for a walk, or giving him a bath until 3 hours comes around. We did this and he was so much more settled after that feed. I am not saying you have to try this, I'm just passing on the info that the nurse told me! I hope things settle down for you soon.

Kieran is sleeping really well at night now, we are getting between 4 - 4.5 hours between feeds overnight! I am feeling much more human at the moment.

I'm back we decided to go visit my sister, nieces & nephews in NSW, we just got back yesterday.
    Maddi went really well during the car trip only crying a lot towards the end of the trip
    I've read back but can only remember a few things you girls are so chatty.

As for more children i would love more but Phil has never been a big family person, So I'll have to wait & see.
    As for Dummies Maddi has had one from about a week old, but doesn't really use it now.
    MCHN i use to really like mine till she said i was feeding Maddi too much because she put on 420g in 2 weeks & that i should give Maddi baths to calm her down even tho we told her Maddi hated having baths & would scream the entire time she was in there.

Congrats Nic on the b/fing that's great news.
    Welcome to all the new Mums

Off to check on all the new baby pics

CatherineL Guest

Good morning all! I hope everyone's weekend was lovely!!

I quickly had a read through all the posts - and I can't remember who was asking about supply and expressing and baby feeding often (maybe Saffi?). If you are constantly emptying the breast and finding your supply not increasing, it could be due to diet and lack of water intake. I find that if I haven't had enough water to drink through the day, my supply seems to be a bit on the low side. Plus you need to make sure you are eating enough and resting. If I do too much during the day, my supply seems to pay the price in the late afternoon/evening.... I find having a nap after lunch and resting in the afternoon helps my supply in the evening. If it's none of those things, my friend who is a mothercraft nurse recommended Fenugreek. But I found the rest and water sorted me out!

If we have visitors, I always pick Rochelle up so they can have a cuddle... Rochelle doesn't stir at all and happily goes back into her bassinette. We don't tip toe around Rochelle and I'm not going to not go out and do what I have to do just because she is asleep.

DTD - OMG, I am so scared about it! Even though I had not stitches or tears, I'm still scared it's going to hurt or something. I know it's different down there and things have been moved around... Since the bleeding stopped, Danny has been bugging me and bugging me... so much so you wouldn't have thought I just had a baby only a few weeks ago! Eek! Did it hurt when you guys DTD those who had a vaginal birth?

Just a question about the BF mother's using dummies - How come you don't let them suckle at the breast? My baby is probably different to your babies... Do your babies scream? I just find it mean to deny them breast.

Right, I'm off to make those yummy peanut butter choc cookies of Vivienne's! Hope everyone has a top day!

LizzysMum Guest

Hi,

Re Dummies - always a toughie! Eliza had one and we introduced it at abotu 5 weeks after feeding was going well. She on ly ever had it to sleep and weaned off it when she was about 2, no problems.
    This time I have used it 2 or 3 times but Amara does not like it. I might try the Avent though as we are having the same prob someone else said that she gags on the dummy 'cos it is too long. For now I am holding out and giving boobie.

Catherine - I am like you and give boobie first but I used the dummy when even feeding didn't work. Sometimes they just get so up tight they don't know what they want and a dummy can help to settle things down LOL!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789