Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #6

becky Guest

Just voted so at least that is over for the day! Not doing much else though. Maybe a bit of shopping.
    Hope everyone else has a great weekend!

Lochie was born on the 27th, but in terms of weeks he is 4 weeks old. That is, 4 saturdays ago I was having contractions. Congrat's to Ro on making 1 calender month!

DH has gone off to get lunch and vote while I stay at home with L. When he returns I will then go up to the school to vote. Only a few doors up so don't have far to go.

Kim - wow, so many parties. You know you are setting a very high standard and next year you will have to do the same for Jasmine and then what do you do for Chelsea's second birthday a month later? Don't work too hard on putting it all together. Have some fun too!

CatherineL Guest

duh silly me... I shoulda just looked at your ticker... ROFL

Well - the time has come for me... I am giving up BF'ing and switching over to formula! I'm sick of all the stupid probelms that I am having in order to feed my child! Thrush is getting worse, not better - even though we are treating it! Rochelle is crying during feeding now because her mouth is sore and my nipples are definately burning a whole lot more now. SO bugger the inlove feeling you get from breastfeeding, i'm over it!

Now to get down to vote... Did you guys get hounded with flyers and crap when you were walking through to vote?

Catherine - I had Caitlyn in my arms when I went to vote so when they tried to hand me stuff I asked them where exactly would they like me to put it?! Seemed to stop them just shoving them at me.
    Well - my little "darling" has had another carp of a day! Was up at 530 and basically this is now her first nap for the day except for the 2 min drive in the car. The whole change of teat worked for her night feeds - am onto the Gaviscon now as she was still spewy.
    Now - I have never had anything to do with babies before so I have a question that I havent been able to get answered elsewhere. If Caitlyn is not feeding or sleeping - she is crying unless I am carrying her around with me. Is this normal?!? I cant put her down in a bouncer - she cries. She will fall asleep in my arms but as soon as I put her in her cot - she cries! Is this a normal baby thing? I am beginning to wonder if it is something that I am doing/not doing that is making her cry. Carrying her around with me all day is proving challenging as I am not gettting anything done. I myself have had a huge cry today - am not handling it as well as I hoped. I just need to know if this is a normal thing.

LizzysMum Guest

Rebecca, besides anything obiously wrong Caitlyn sounds normal. I also have a velcro baby. I invested in a good carrier and now we are sorted. I have decided its best for me to go with it rather than fight it. But its a personal choice. I did read on one of the articles here on BB that a baby's need for cuddles is as important as their need for food so that helped me make up my mind what to do. I have found in the last week or so she is getting better at sleeping in the snugglebed or cradle so there is hope for Caitlyn too. I would try a wrap style carrier. She probably just wants you close

Catherine - sorry to hear BF is not happening for you, bummer about the thrush!!!

Voted today, went shopping. Bought a Curious george DVD for Eliza, a cricket bat for DH and a totem tennis game for Eliza. Amara and I got zippo LOL! Well I did buy some latex gloves for my soap damaged hands and some pegs - glamourous huh? DH also laybyed the entire James Bond collection GRRR!! $300 cripes, I said it is his Xmas and birthday next year as well!

Have a good weekend all,

CatherineL Guest

Becca - I am certainly no expert - but if that's her EVERYDAY... that isn't normal! I mean, Rochelle has days like that... But usually she will go down and fall asleep herself and she is usually fairly happy just to have a kick on the play mat or kick around with some nappy off time. You said she has reflux? Reflux babies usually cry allot because their tummy contents is coming up and burning their esophagus. Usually keeping them in an up right position helps. Do you have a baby carrier or sling so you can still have both hands? Or maybe you could try elivating her mattress? Hope you find some relief soon what ever case.

LM - I agree with you, they are only going to be this small once and for a short amount of time... better off to go with it and enjoy it than fight it and resent everything I think.
    Last edited by CatherineL; November 24th, 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Mo - Thanks for the link!

Claire - Enjoy your night without Emily, it sounds like she is going to have a fun time!

Leah - Hope you can catch up on some sleep soon.

Peta
    - Hope you had a nice break from Kaylee. IKWYM about missing her!

Saffi - Sounds like you got some great advise yesterday. Putting bub to bed while still awake is great because they learn to go to sleep by themselves. Kieran is starting to just shut his eyes as soon as I wrap him now instead of making noise. Happy 4 weeks to Lachlan!

Kim - Hope Chelsea's party is lots of fun!

Catherine - I can't blame you for switching over to formula. Good on you for giving b'feeding your best shot! I'm sure you will both be much happier now.

Rebecca - Sorry you are still having problems. Now, I am no expert so am just giving my personal opinion, please don't take it as gospel! I wonder if it is worth you getting Caitlyn checked out by a paediatrician just for your peace of mind? It sounds to me like she may be in discomfort, just because you say she pretty much won't settle anywhere but in your arms. My paediatric chiropractor for Joel said this is typical when a bub is in discomfort as they get the most pain relief from being carried in your arms. I know this is true because Joel would scream unless I held him all day when he was tiny. It may also just be a typical baby thing, but because I know you aren't coping too well (completely understandable, I was an absolute mess when Joel did that), it may be worth getting her looked over. If there is a problem then at least you can get it sorted out ASAP rather than worrying all the time. As I said, this is just my personal opinion and feel free to ignore my comments. I just hate to hear you are having a rough time of it .

We voted this morning and are hopefully heading out to the beach after this little man attached to me is finished his feed.

Re: baby products, I had to laugh before. Here I was saying I should go and by some of the Gaia range when I noticed before that a friend actually bought me the entire range (travel size)! I was so sleep deprived when she gave it to me that I forgot all about it! Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Lizzysmum, Catherine & Trish! I will not inore anyones comments - the more advice - the better. I am seeing the doc on wed so i will get the little one checked as well. Unfortunately - no paediatrician here - would prob have to travel back to Townsville to see one which means another 10 hour drive. But will see how we go on wednesday.
    i do have both a sling (both of us hate it) and a carrier. She seems ok in the carrier but i am too short for it i think as it is very uncomfortable and i cant get her to stay at the right height. However - i have just ordered a hug a bub due to the rave reviews. am willing to try anything riht now. Will also try elevating the bed head when/if DH gets home.
    thanks again for the advice!!!
    Oh and joy of joys - the rash that i got when I was pregnant has returned! Thought it was heat rash. Would love to take what I took while I was pregnant to get rid of it but want my doctor to see it before I do plus I dont think its a good idea to self prescribe. especially not steroids
    Last edited by Rebecca77; November 24th, 2007 at 02:48 PM.

becky Guest

Hey Rebecca - If you are worried, by all means get her checked out to set your mind at ease, but she sounds completely normal to me. Some babies are just more clingy than others. My DS had a period like that where I had to carry him everywhere, and becasue he was a first bub, I was like you and just used to do it (its a bit different with Chels as I have Liam to look after too now so I literally cant carry her around everywhere). Eventually I thought enough is enough and just let him cry for a bit. (Only like 5 minutes at a time) and he eventually learnt to have a bit more time on his own. And because I have learnt this, Chels is happy to spens a bit more time on her own too. I would maybe suggest just letting her cry for a few minutes when you put her down, and if she still cries hysterically, go in after a few minutes and cuddle her, then put her down and try again. Eventually she might learn. Babies are very clever and she might realise that as soon as she cries you will pick her up and carry her around so she is happy to do that. Just my opinion anyway. Do what feels right to you. Good luck with it all!!

Yeah I had the election people pushing thngs into your face as well. But I just took the 1 party that I wanted to and said no to the rest.

Have fun at Chelsea's party KIM!!

CatherineL Guest

Lauren, I probably shouldn't say anything and mind my own business, so feel free to ignore me - but I read in Rebecca's thread that your giving Ryan 180mls a feed assuming you are giving him 8 feeds a day! Thought I'd just mention that is WAY too much formula... Even for Vivienne's little 6kg man! Just because a baby will drink that much formula, doesn't mean you should give them that much. It's not a problem with BF babies because there is a hormone in the breastmilk that tells them they are full unlike formula, which is how babies end up with over streched stomachs. The amount babies should be having approximately is 150mls for every kilo divided by however many feeds he has a day - in a 24 hour period. There isn't such thing as a over weight breastfed baby, but there is such a thing as a obese formula fed baby. But by all means, you do what you need to do!

Rebecca I was thinking about you whilst I was voting, and I remember the CHN telling one of the other mums at a weigh in that the first 3 months your baby is establishing it's security circle and can want to be constantly reassured etc. around the three month mark things improve. I don't know if that was worth mentioning, but maybe she is just a velcro baby coming to grips with the world?

Just went and voted, I hate going... The people that hand out those flyers always look so sad when you say no, it makes me feel bad. But on an up note, Ro and I went to the video store and hired Harry Potter... YAY!! Airconditioning is on and we're all set up...

becky Guest

Hey Melbourne girls - Just wanted to ask, do any of you know of any CHEAP accomodation in Melbourne? Hubby and I are wanting to come down in March for the Grand Prix (KISS are playing!!!) and we want to come down as cheaply as possible. If anyone knows of anywhere really cheap, could you let me know? TA

OK im exhausted and everyone has finally left!! I will put up some pics when i regain energy!!

Saffi i dread having to go thru this again next yr with Jasmine..but i will for her sake! I think from then on they can have combined parties!! LOL

Voted at 530pm! Our freinds watched the girls whilst we ducked out. Stupid waste of time voting.

Wow...180ml in 8 feeds...Jasmine has 130 mls and only 5 feeds.

Catherine you gave BF a shot and i say well done for sticking it out til now babe..u have done well

Well - we ventured outside for the first time this afternoon - in the pram I mean. We went for a short walk and she loved it! No crying and just gazin around at the world - was great. And to think that I was actually dreading it!
    Wow 180 mls a feed - Caitlyn is only taking around 125-130 ml per feed but due to lack of sleep I cant think how many feeds she is having a day. I really need to get the little bugger weighed.
    Havent had too bad an afternoon. She is settled right now which is a bonus cause this is normally when she is most upset.
    Catherine - I am beginning to think the same thing re the velcro baby. She likes her cuddles and will go to sleep like that. Had a really bad morning here though and I think my feelings were being transferred to her. So I went and sat in the bath with some peppermint chocolate for 10 mins when I finally ot her to nap. Thought I had better do that cause the bottle of Jim Beam on top of the fridge was lookin mighty tempting!
    I was hoping for a bit of a break tomorrow with Wayne having a day off work. But he has just come home and told me that, no....he starts work at 9 tomorrow!!!! JESUS!!! And to top it off - he didnt vote today - his boss sent him on a job and he didnt get back into town until just after 6 and of course booths were closed. So I told Wayne that his boss can wear the fine. Not happy Jan!!!
    oh....my G key is a bit sticky and I am tired of backspacing to fix it up - please forgive!!

the fine is $125. least its not more

lachie has had a few nights where he wants to be cuddled but now most of the time he is happy to sit in his rocker with a dummy. i had a bad day the other day with him as something was wrong(i think it was a sore tum) and i got him to sleep in his swing and i didnt need to hold him so that was certainly a releif!!!

Hi lovely Mummies.

Have been reading back and was glad to hear that a lot of other bubs have had terrible heat rash as that was why I came onto here in the first place - to ask for some advice about it as Mateo has broken out all over his arms, face and scalp - it's bright red and looks so awful!! I have been dressing him in long sleeved and legged outfits for night and am starting to think I am overdressing him. What are the other Brissy/GC Mums dressing your bubs in for this weather? Cause he still has a little cold am trying to keep him warm at the same time.

Well little man is now screaming again (having a rough day today with a lot of others by the sounds of it! :-) so I will have to save personals for another day. Just quickly, am keen to catch up with other Mums and Bubs this Tuesday - Thanks for your number Cath. Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

My God! He has just stopped on his own and fallen asleep!! Ladies this is a first for me - I know some of you have the self-settling thing down pat but Mateo will only fall asleep being rocked or fed so YEYYYY!!!

Domenic is away on a motorbike weekend and today he screamed for 2 and a 1/2 hours without much of a break - tell you what it was bloody exhausting when I didn't have anyone to take turns with!! Catherine - I actually thought of you today and I honestly don't know how you handle it for 4-5 days straight without Danny.

As for babies who cry a lot as opposed to those who don't, do you think their personalities come into play a little as well? Mateo has been sick with this cold since two weeks old so discomfort has a lot to do with as well, but he is an EXTREMELY active baby - he first rolled over from belly to back at 6 days old and now rolls over both ways at least once a day when he has play time on the floor. He holds head up and hates being in any one position for too long. Was talking to my Mum today and she thinks his personality has to do with the way he seems to need one really long bout of screaming every day! Was wondering if anyone else has found this with any of their bubs?

Wishing a good night's sleep for all. xoxoxo

geez its ben busy in here.
    i am soooo nakkered. Had my reunion last night! DH sayed home and minded the boys and i had a night out and drank too much lol! I had such a fun night, everyone mingled really well and it was just un to be out! didnt get home till 2am, had to express the alcohol fueled milk off got to sleep 2.30am, Ty woke at 4.30am then at 7.30am then i had togo to a scrapbooking day i was hungover and forgot to drink water b4 bed. then had to be home by 3pm for real estate to come around, then off to vote, then home, went to lay down and Ty wakes again. DH has gone to his work xmas party tonight so im on my own with the boys! about to head to bed until Ty wakes for a feed.

i did find the sheild oops Nixon didnt hide it. BUT Tyron is still no good on the boob. i cant beleive he has gone back to refusing me there has to be an answer?? He fed really well for 2 weeks, come Thursday he changed his mind..... If things dont pick up again in a few days i have madethe decision to stop trying, my mood has already changed again, itsupsetting me, frustrating me, and i just dont have th energy left to keep fighting with him each feed.

Catherine- gla u &Viv JJ & Ro had a great meet up!

sorry my head is not with it tonight i cant remembe what u have all written to reply!
    Night ladies

CatherineL Guest

Well it sounds like today's party was a success seeing as your exhausted Kim! ROFL!

Rebecca - I think it's pretty understandable that they do become rather clingy... I mean everything outside of the womb is so new to them, i'm sure we'd behave a little insecurely if we were put in a totally different environment and out of our comfort zone. Not only do their little bodies have to cope with discomforts that they didn't experience inutero, they have all this extra stimulation and all these different feelings! So apparently when they feel more secure? the nurse said they settle down. But don't rule out reflux all together, the only reason why I mentioned reflux before was because Caitlyn sort of sounds similar to my SIL's bub - he never wanted to be put down and would scream and scream and scream, but whenever he was being held he was perfect... ended up being reflux and the reason why he didn't scream when he was being held was because it kept him upright instead of just flat iykwim? But it passed after a few months.

Star - I'm looking forward to meeting up with everyone too! I know how you feel about your DH being away... Last night was terrible and I was almost in tears... thankfully Ro doesn't give me too many of those nights!

Nic, Last night sounded like a hoot! Glad you were able to get some time for yourself...

new thread HERE

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789