Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born October 2007 #8

rallybbek Guest

Hi everyone,
    We are not gettinf Toby circumcised, will leave that decision for him to make. Toby had a rotten nights sleep and i am still tired.
    Gotta go cook tea, I am forever running out of ideas on what to cook!
    Bec

If Elijah was a girl he was going to be called Lily Eva.

A nope here about circumcision. I don't feel I have the right to have parts of Eli's body snipped off.
    And the foreskin doesn't come back til they are older actually - that in itself helps to keep it clean.
    Riley was never circumcised as he has hypospadius, and boys with hypospadius can't be circumcised. Not sure why, but I don't see any real advantages to it anyway.
    Looking like his peers or parents isn't a very good excuse - for me, atleast. I would rather embrace individuality (especially in Riley's case - his penis looks way different to a normal 'willy' and there's nothing I can do about it!) than 'lets make you like everyone else'.
    But, that's just me - I have weird views and can be pretty black and white sometimes.

I now pretty much have an all-night sleeper! WOOHOO!!! in the last 5-6 nights he's been sleeping from 9:30pm til about 6am. Last night was the only night woke up and I think that was my fault for chatting away to DP for an hour or so in bed

Anyone elses bubs get so excited they smile and coo a bit, and sound like they are trying to giggle but can't quite get it out!? Gosh this part of babyhood is sooo cute

Okay almost time to start dinner,

Later!

If Hayley was a boy she was going to be Callum David and would have probably had the snip but DH and I hadn't really decided...

Have been a bit crook all weekend and Hayley had a shocker last night so am still a bit tired so no real personals tonight...
    Hope everyone has a good night

If Tyron was a girl he would have been Tylah Joan

circ- thats a no from us also. I always thought we would if we had a boy but once Nixon went through so much trauma at birth we decided not to put him through any un necissary pain. I only know 2 little boys that are circ'd my two nephews. I prob know close to 25 boys of friends of mine with children and my two nephews are the only ones done.

Trish- thanks for asking but unfortunatley i made the executive decision as of Friday not to continue bf. i hadnt said anything in here because i didnt want to feel whingy about my problems all the time!
    his lat attempt he screamed blue murder and was so so upset, i got too upset seeing him upset and said to myself "what am i doing" so i am still expressing but only twice a day,morning when i get up and before bed and over the next few weeks i will slow it down, depends if i find the time or not if its too time consuming i will stop but if it doesnt bother me i may still express a little.
    I figure i will have provided bm for him till he is about 3months old with all my supply etc.

Ive got some more to say but i am nakkered so will come back on tomorrow and finish
    good night all

Hi everyone.
    Hope you have had a great weekend.
    If Ethan had been a girl we were going to call her Isabella Rose. Had a lot of trouble coming up with a boy name that we both liked as I am a teacher and have a huge list of names of children that I have taught that were "challenging".

We have had a great day. Ethan is finally starting to settle on the Zantac and soy formula. Making an appointment with the paed tomorrow. Wondering if he is lactose intollerant since he has responded so well to soy. He is having restless sleep at the moment and wakes every 40 minutes. Hopefully he will stop that after the next feed so we can get some sleep.

Started using cloth nappies yesterday. Boy what a challenge. I suppose we will get better at it with practice. Not looking forward to all the washing though!!!

If Theodore James had pink bits, he'd have been Eloise...not sure on middle name. If our first son had been a girl, he would have been Amelia Grace.

Am v jealous of the uninterupted nights sleep club. Theo is pretty good. He has a feed around midnight/one, then 4 hours later, then 3 hourly through the day.

He's a little porker, consistantly putting on 500g a week, and he jumped from 50th percentile for height, to 95th, in a week and a half!

Hi lovely mummies.

Brissy girls - will be keen to meet up again, had a lovely day last time. Same place, 11:30 Tues 11th - is that right?

Well we had Mateo up at the Mater Emergency on Thursday night - it was terrible but all is fine now. He has been screaming in pain all of the time and then falling asleep only through sheer exhaustion. I took him to the doctor and she referred us to the hospital to get his bowels x-rayed etc. Turns out he has severe colic and we are now using Infacol before every feed and it seems to be working. He still has bad wind pain but it doesn't last as long anymore. Poor little bugger - I hate it when he is crying with pain - I can handle the tired cries, the hungry cries but the pain ones break my heart!

No circumcision here - feel it is completely unnecessary in our Western world where basic hygeine is so easy to maintain.

If Mateo was a girl, he would have been Ella, Mia or Bella - I liked Cleo but Domenic hated it.

Nickers - Don't feel bad about the BF thing - a happy baby and Mum is so much more important. And even though I fully understand the benefits of BF - can you honestly tell the difference between a formula or breast fed baby? We are actually about to give Mateo his first FF feed tonight as I am finding it too hard to keep up with 3-hourly night feeds at the moment with his colic. So here's hoping to a bit of a catch up sleep tonight!

KateP - Hope you have a better night tonight.

Alz - let us know how you find the cloth nappies - would like to use them but when he is a bit older and not going through as many I am thinking.

Goodnight to all. Terri. xoxo

becky Guest

Thats right Terri, but its not the same place as last time. I think we have decided on Garden City this time...

Nickers - It is more important that you and your baby are happy and that you are enjoying him. I had heaps of bf problems at the beginning and only bf for 2 and a half weeks. Ethan too screamed and pulled off all the time and he got so stressed. It takes a little time emotionally to get used to bottle feeding but I found it was the right decision for us. I feel for you. Take it easy and don't pressure yourself.

Hope you are all well this morning. We had a rough night. Ethan just keeps waking up. He will sleep for a while and then want comforting. I think he is constipated from the thickener in his formula for his reflux. He was so tired that he only drank 20mls this morning. Not too worried as he has drunk 120mls for every other feed for the last 24hrs (much better than the 40-60 mls on cows milk based formula).

Have a great day everyone.

Good morning everyone!

We had a great night's sleep last night! I fed Kieran at 9pm and then had to wake him to feed him at 3am! (Yes, I plan on waking him once in the night until Wednesday when he reaches 5 weeks. It's so hard not to give in and let him sleep though!). He then slept until 7am which means in amongst all that I got 8 hours in total of sleep, such an achievement for me! I actually feel kind of human today. I can't wait to see how long he sleeps if I don't wake him. The reason I wake him is based on the Baby Wise book I base his routine on which says not to let them go any longer than 5 hours between feeds until at least 5 weeks to help with weight gain and milk supply. I was naughty and let 6 hours lapse last night, but thought he is nearly 5 weeks anyway.

We are off to our mother's group reunion this morning. We were going to meet in a park, but it is now raining so we are meeting at a play house. It should be fun, it will be good for Joel to get out of the house on a rainy day too.

Nic - You could have whinged to us, that's what we're here for! It wouldn't be whinging anyway, just debriefing. Sometimes it helps just to write things down and I'm sure no one in here minds. I hope you feel more relaxed now you have made your executive decision, it feels like such a load off when you finally decide what to do. You have done such a wonderful job persevering and you deserve a big pat on the back! Tyron has had a great start to his life with your b'milk and I'm sure he will thrive on formula when you run out of your massive supply of EBM!

Star - Poor Mateo being in so much pain! You must have been beside yourself. It is horrible to see them in that state. I'm glad the Infacol seems to be working. We had similar problems when Kieran was 4 days old and a MCHN suggested Infacol and it made a HUGE difference. I rarely need to give it to him now, but I have it on hand for those 'windy' days.

alz - Glad to hear Ethan has been taking lots more soy formula. Sorry you had a bad night of it, is there anything you can give him for the constipation?

Re: names, if Kieran was a girl he would have been named Alana. We couldn't think of a middle name because we were pretty sure we were having a boy and only really talked about boys names. We found out at our 20 week scan he was a boy so didn't put much thought into girls names. And nup, not circumsized either. Neither is Joel. We figure most people don't do it these days and that they will be fine without having it done. Not a very philosphical reason hey?
    Last edited by ~Trish~; December 3rd, 2007 at 07:29 AM.

You have all had so much to say!!

If Chelsea had been a boy she would have been Aidan Dominic. Thankfully she was a girl cos i hate the name now!

I cant remember anything else that was said..but hope everyone is going well...we are having a lovely time away. Both girls are being spoilt so its nice to have time out

Another wedding down, only one to go. I am exhausted......parked up on couch with lap top, not planning on moving too far. (Except for daily walk, have lost 18kg's only 10 to go. ONLY??? OMG that seems so far away!)

Falguni was very well behaved all weekend.

If we had a boy- no circumcision, many reasons, most already pointed out by others. Also would have called him Lawson James.

Nic just wanted to say.....good on you for all your efforts with BF'ing. You get a gold star. Sorry it has been such a rough road for you.

Trish- Awsome smile in ticker pic! What a spunk.

Face book- i'm Angela Aldridge

Sorry- so many posts since i last posted......... hi everyone.

nickers - i can't remember if i said this but i found out from my mum that i was a formula fed baby. i got about a week of colostrum then onto the bottle. my dad was a doctor too and he was all about this particular kind of formula. i think i turned out ok - *twitch*... so formula feed away i say, you may end up with a lawyer on your hands (who doesn't suffer with asthma, obesity or any other thing). it's all about your genes anyway and i don't think enough people put credence in the power of the genome.

now.. if jj was a girl... we couldn't agree on a name (i knew he was a boy anyway from the word go). i liked leila (after leila mckinnon on tv), he liked chelsea (after chelsea the model on temptation), i also like amelie but it was just not going to happen. we knew he was james long before we decided to have a kid.

star - poor little mateo! too cute for colic...

kate - tell lachlan to back off unless he wants to go the biff with james over ro. besides she lives closer to us!

can't remember which of you has the all-night sleeper but that is rad. *jealous*

jj has been doing nice 8 hour stretches again but i'm still doing the 3.30am feed.

ange - way to go on the weight loss. back to the beach in no time (falguni-permitting).

i weighed in this morning and i've lost 15kg with only about 3.5 to go to be back to 'normal' and 5 to go if i want to go back to modelling.... (and spray everyone with BM.. ha!)

ques: is it bad that i'm on the laptop rocking him in the bassinet with my foot? naughty mummy.

another question:

where do you sit on vaccinations? all? none? selected ones?

Star - I hope your little fella is feeling better. That must have been horrible listening to him crying in such bad pain!

alz - Do you also give your bub plain water as well as his regular bottles. I have heard that is recommended and a friend of mine does that, he boy doesn't seen to get constipated (which may just be him too). Try to have a nap this afternoon, as I'm sure you know its aweful be exhausted!

Trish - Thats awesome you all got a good sleep last night! Hopefully this is the start of eariser times for you. Have a great day today at your reunion.

NT - All vaccinations, definately!

We had a great day yesterday. Our friends arrived at midday and left at 10:30 last night, so that just says it al! They little boy is 4 days older than Tiera, but there is a big difference between them. Tiera looks tiny!
    Sleep wise we also did quite well, 10:30pm, 12:30, 5:30 then 9am. Ithink she's starting her growth spurt so feeding more lately, which is just fine with me She get weighed on Wed, hopefully shes put more weight on

Have a great day all

OMG what a massive amt of chatting! Couldn't possibly remember everything I just read......

Answer time

If Maddi had been a boy I was leaning towards Michael John though Mandy wouldn't have a bar of that so thankfully no need to travel down that path!!!

Vaccinations - I tend to think they are a necessity, esp after seeing the chicken pox travel so quickly through our family when Maddi was born and practically all of DS's school mates having come downwith it as well. Having said that Maddi had her 8 week needles on Thursday and she had a slight reaction, developed a temperature overnight and very spewy (more than normal) the next day.

Star - can't remember if you are FFing or not but we have major colic issues with Maddi and Infacol and Infant's Friend actually made her more unsettled, so we are using Novalac Colic Formula. It's purchased from the chemist for around $22 a tin, and so far Maddi is a different baby - she sleeps better with less interruptions due to wind pain. Like Infacol you can't make any bubbles in the milk no matter how much you shake it and it has a lower lactose content which is what can cause the colic pain cause the lactose remains in their bellies. Don't know if that info is useful to you but thought I would share.

I'm getting better after my pneumonia, still cough lots but no so sore in the chest and less tired. Have final check up tomorrow to get the 'all clear'.

With everyone discussing their babies weight gain - it would seem we have very healthy and happy Octo - babies growing. Had Maddison checked on Thursday and she now weighs 4.7kg (dressed, fed and with wet nappy), 57cm in length and HC 38cm. She had only put on 500g in 4 weeks but Dr still happy with her weight gain. Even though she still upchucks some of her feeds (sometimes 2 hours after the feed) he is thinking that her reflux doesn't cause her any discomfort and when the sphinkter (sp?) gets stronger should occur less often - just using bibs, cloth nappies to catch it all and plenty of change of clothes for both Mummy and Maddi - LOL!!!

Sorry such a self absorbed post, will have to write down answers for everything next time so I can do personals. Off to update FB now and have OB appt this arvo....................

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Hi Ursula good to see you back. glad you are slowly recovering.
    great weight loss Ange and Viv!!
    Poor Matteo- that would have been scarey Star, glad he is ok
    Vax- yep get them all done, have with Nix too. we just got his re imbursment after u get all the immunisations up to 18months, It was $232 we got
    Alz- when i first started Ty on the thickener he went a day or two with no poo, i was so used to him pooing every change i was worried he was consitpated, i dont think he was but it definatley thickened it up coming out aswell! when do u give the Zantc? My Paed told me to try and give it 1hr b4 the feed so it has time to work. which meants putting it in his mouth when he is asleepm but sometimes i can say he might wake at X time give it to him and he wakes 10min later or other times sleeps for an extra hour. its very hard to judge

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

I did a tupperware party at my place sat and sunday just cause it was a big week tupperware wise. anyway on Sat was jus my siser with her 2 DD and friend with her 8m DD.
    DH was home but at one stage Nixon and Neice 1 (3yrs old) wernt upsatirs. called out didnt hear them, called outo DH didnt get a respose. anyway i said they must be downstairs with DH cause neice always wants to c the dogs.
    about 10min later neice comes upstairs and says "Nixon ran away" WTF??? I bolted downstairs having no idea what was going on, called ut to DH he came from the computer and had no idea what was going on, i ran outside, No Nixon, heart stops beating then i c him next door on their driveway giggling away.
    the boys next door told me he ran on the road and they took him off.... The neighbour was just standing at her front door watching Nixon, watching me, giving me the most filthiest (your a terribel mother) looks. I just sad Thanks, scooped him up and went inside.

it wasnt until after we figured out what must have happened. Neice opened the "child proof" gate to go downstairs, Nixon followed. Neice then opened the front screen door which was shut but unlocked.
    The pair of them must have been out the front for 10mins..... because DH went downstairs by himself and had NO IDEA they came down, where as we thought he took them down.
    talk about crap your dacks. it could have been a disaster, but the fact my neighbour just starred and said nothing..... i would have much prefered her to have come knocking on my door and said excuse me you child is out the front, and felt embarrased but known he was safe. did she just watch to c how long it would take for us to realise he was gone?? Its not like im chasing my kid up the street every other day, this had never happened before.

anyway all is well thank god, i think its time to start talking road rules with Nixon.
    Last edited by nickers; December 3rd, 2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: missed some responses

LizzysMum Guest

Quick check in.

Nic - don't beat yourself up, you did a great job! ahem.. guilty here too of a toddler escaping...we now have to key lock the front screen as she figured out how to open the latch!! Your neighbour should have grabbed him - I would have, you don't let kids run on the road no matter whose they are.

Vax - yes we are doing the normal regime, apart from the birth ones which we did not do (Hep B and Vit K). I rang Poulation Health here and it makes no difference to the later vax if you decline the Hep B at birth. She actually said they really only recommend it if you are in a high risk group.

alz - are you using teryy flats of Modern Cloth Nappies? MCN are as easy as a sposie (and are easier on the planet too )

gotta run, pest man here to spray for spiders....

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast