Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies Born September 2007 #27

Hi Girls!

Sorry that it's been awhile...I thought to have a one on one day with Leila so didnt go to work and took the phone off the hook and ignored the computer. She was hysterical last night, i think the recovery from the virus took its toll. she seems alot better today and slept like a little trooper twice!! (normally we only get catnaps during the day). hopefully she will sleep better tonight. since she was sick we have been doing the midnight mayhem dance that extends to 5am!!

Speaking of sleep, MD glad that you are going to QEII. I think its a great move and brave! I know i found it hard to admit defeat....I was reading an article in a parenting magazine (not sure if i can mention its name in here??) and they had an article written by a tresillian worker and suppousedly they do more 'attachement' style of sleep school...maybe they have some resources that you can get? although i guess this could be information overload!!

And Cally: woo hoo on the sleep last night. it's great knowing they can do it! even if it's not every night, the fact they can is sometimes just the boost you need!

Renee: you are definitely speaking to the converted girl! But I am sorry that it's pretty tough ATM. and yeah, there is some solidarity in knowing that there are others going through or have been going through rough times. DH and I had some pretty yuck times when leila was first born - not helped by the fact that i had PND.
    I agree with the other girls that have mentioned it, you two need couple time. one of the best things a midwife at John James told me when i had leila was that these babies want a happy family with happy parents and if that means that mum and dad need time together without bub to sort things out and have some R&R then that's whats got to happen. i always remembered that and we have tried our best...not easy when there is no family around to help out tho!

Sherie: Hhhhm on the endo thing. I have posted in another thread about the endo as I think (ghastly thought) that mine is returning too. i was hoping for a bit of a break (being preg and not having pain for the first time in years was sooo liberating!). and also it makes me worried about any future bubs that we may want to have as getting leila was really tough!
    Also, we have now got mice. my cat had one tonight but i couldnt bear her to torture it slowly so i chased it down and put it in a box and ran down the road with it...i'm sure the people living down the road arent too impressed LOL!

anyway best be off as this is turning out to be a thesis...

Hi Cas, I'm glad Leila seems to have turned a corner now, but not so good on the rough night for you. Fingers crossed you have a better night tonight hun, its sooo draining when it goes on for a few nights. With the endo, I haven't had a single problem in over 8yrs - basically since before I had kids. Just my luck that it comes back again now. I read in the endo update thread that you've had it too, luckily it never affected my ability to get pg. LOL at you giving the mouse to the neighbours - if the trap doesnt' kill them I do - may sound sadisitic, but if I don't they will be back again.

Marydean, that would be a pretty amazing experience for him. Now you've got me ready to be on the lookout for him too LMAO. With the mice, I thought I'd dealt with them too. the weather is strange ATM, cool almost freezing nights and really warm days, or desert weather DH would call it I caught another one tonight after discovering two in the girls room when I put them to bed - so now I have one more to get.

Ewwww Gracie! that would have been foul to find that in there. how did you get it out, or was that a job for DP? I hope you have a great weekend.

Cally, thats great she's done a poo. I have always found the amolin to work really well too. Or Sudocreme is fab as well.

On the homefront, I have done 6 loads of washing and I have at least another two to go. I only have a 4.5kg machine and by golly it does well to keep up with it all. I have had it for 11yrs this year and it hasn't skipped a beat. Anyway, like I said above, I found another 2 mice in the girls room - one ran across the floor and another one was in the tub that has the FP little People in it, so they all got a dettol bath and I picked everything else up off the floor so they can't get into anything. I did catch one (nutella is working a treat on the trap) and hopefully I will get the other one. I can't remember ever having them this bad before. Cally, the hay shed has bugger all hay in it ATM LOL. I also had to disenfect the entire bathroom to try to get the smell out, so I haven't stopped all night and now I am too alert to sleep.

Oh, I forgot to say earlier too, today we went shopping at Griffith and I took the kids to an indoor play centre as a treat and Alister had a great time! I put him on the floor at first to crawl around and he was trying to get the balls out of the ball pit that had been chucked out, but he couldn't get them as he kept making them roll away instead of grabbing them, so when all the other little kids got out of the ball-pit, I put him in it and he was beside himself with excitement LMAO because all he had to do was reach out and grab a ball - he even had one in each hand at one stage. He was sitting in them up to his armpits and he was loving it - huge smile on his face the whole time. I wish I had the camera with me.

goodmorning everyone
    well i finally got a bit of sleep because dps off today due to anzac day.. i went to bed at around 10 and apparantly asha was up at 10:30 for a bottle because she was due at 4pm and still hadnt drunk it coz of her teeth she didnt go back till 1:30 so i am glad he was up with her!! then she woke up at 3 and i brought her into bed and then she was up at 6 for a bottle eeek i woke dp up and he said i'm too tired and i said i havnt had proper sleep in 2 days so he got up with her lol.. he ended up coming back to bed at 9 and put her in her cot coz he thought she might sleep.. she didnt lol but i was ok to get up by then geeez this teething stuff is full on!!
    hoping to go shopping today to use my trolly cover!! it will be good not having to push a pram while dp pushes the trolly the two of us taking up the whole isle lol..
    sherie - we have a mice problem atm too my dads g/f thinks its because we have this giant backyard and its sectioned into two areas and the one at the back has super long grass coz no one wants to mow it my dads very sceptical though and says they cant justgrow up out of the ground because there is long grass.. we havnt been that successful at catching them sounds like they are just dying at ur place?? or did u set traps? i know i shouldnt worry about how much she has and infacet she has a lot for such a little girl but i worry she will take solids but not milk iykwim? she eats so much food (i always offer her milk first!) but the bottle seems to irritate her teeth atm so i am not sure what to do...
    cassius - poor little leila!! hope shes doing better now and dosnt give u anymore midnight mayhem!!
    md - yes a taggie whould be so much more economical to make!! this one cost me well actually cost my mum $35 rediculous for a nice piece of blanky with some ribbons sewn around it11 ohhh well.. good to know that about the custard shows ive never made custard from scratch lol lol.. with the teething our problem is when its mild she will chew on the teething toys etc etc but when it is really bad shes not interested and just screams if u put anything near her mouth so it makes it hard! i see what ur saying with the strangulation though hmmmmm no idea what to do lol...
    gracie - eeeek a dead possum atleast dh was the one to find it!! mmmm anzac biccies id forgotton about those!
    cally - paw paw cream is really good too glad the blockage is clear.. we had a blockage issue here too but i justgave her a little prune juice and a squirt of oil in her bum lol being a mum is sooo glamorous!!

Argghh. I feel completely run-down. Will is waking at least every hour of the night so I can't get any decent sleep. I can't even sit and watch a tv program after he has gone to bed because I get half way through and he is awake again. I just really need a break. I have no time to do anything for me, DH is complaining that the house is messy but I don't like using the odd half hour I get when he is napping to clean. DH tries to look after him a bit during the evenings and weekend but can never be too far from my boobs. This past week by myself has really drained me. It is more frustrating that I know what I need to do to get him to self settle but I am too tired to do it.

And I had big plans to make lots of friends in my new town but I realised yesterday that the ladies from mothers group will only ever be the ladies from mothers group IYKWIM (saw one in the supermarket and we waved, said hello and kept going), not friends that come around for tea etc.

Sorry for the vent.

Noni, hope Ashas teeth pop through really soon.

Sherie, good luck with the mouse hunt. LOL about A with the balls. A ball in each hand must be the baby equivalent of winning the lottery.

Cas, glad L is feeling better

Renee, how is everything going? I know it is hard when you can't see any good reason to stay and every simple conversation ends up as another fight. Hope you can sort it out.

It looked like too many bananas were catching up with W and he was having a bit of trouble in the #2 department so I gave him a pitted prune. He loved it! Not sure if it has done its work yet. Easy peel no seed mandarins are in season at the moment and he is loving those too.
    Last edited by Artechim; April 25th, 2008 at 11:37 AM.

hi all - i am also in the run down no sleep club... had a HELL night and i am exhsuated from a week by myself. my mum is coming for the night today - i am half looking fwd to it as it will give me a break and for some reason it is half stressing me. oh well she is on the plane now so better get perked up about it! our cleaner usually comes on fridays, not today bc pub hol and that has made me burst into tears... i am a bit houseproud and the place looks awful so i finally got N to sleep after 90 mins of rocking and now i am madly tidying. it has been a long and tough week with work, DH away etc etc. i am bustring for dh to come home on sun. he better be superdad!!! and glad he now works 4 days per week. must say md i thought of you last night when dh rang and complained about work, he is working v hard but doesnt then have a teething bub to contend with too. i was a bit snappy and impatient i think. so there's my vent - i dont have them often - but looks like we are all feeling a bit the same way today! i wonder if a part of it is the cumulative effect of 7 months of broken sleep and now the added teething bonus.
    Arte - sorry the mums dont seem to be the ones you will be great friends with. i also only made one great friend at mums group - the rest are the same - ladies from mums group that i dont have that much in common with. are there playgroups or anything in your town?
    ok better go, washing to fold, rubbish to take out, spare bed to make up etc etc.
    have a great anzac day. i remember us all baking cookies last year in belly buddies - now i dont have time to go out and BUY them LOL!

Hope you are all having a nice Anzac Day, I've been watching tv bawling my eyes out like I do every Anzac day! Also made some Anzac cookies...unfortunately I put too much carb soda in them hahahaha and yes I am studying to be a home ec teacher lol!!!

Sounds like theres a few of us not getting any sleep. Hope you can all have a rest this weekend, with DH's being home hopefully they can do a couple of nights for you all. I'm not having much trouble with sleep apart from a few night wakes here and there, just settling her these days is a friggen nightmare, screams the house down and she knows her cot now so when you approach it, the crying begins. 7 months is such a gorgeous age, but not when it comes to sleep!!!

Renee - I was in your position a few weeks ago as well. See its very suprising how many of us have been, I think we all know exactly what you mean about putting up a front and pretending everything is perfect, so dont go thinking you are the only one. Before Maddie we were fine too. We had a huge talk about it all, and we seem to be heading in the right direction now. So maybe try setting aside a time, turn off the tv etc, and just talk. Otherwise someone suggested couples couselling? Thats very scary about Rory choking, Maddie gags on little bits of food and I freak out! Its hard not to get sucked in with the pics....ah well they are only babies once! Oh & if you buy the Sunday paper, look for Maddie in the baby photos section, apparently her pic is showing this weekend!

MD - I too would love to come and give you a helping hand you poor thing. Keep strong! You are doing so well on your own, I hope DH makes you realise that when he gets home. My AF arrived a few days ago and leading up to it I was SO grumpy and a couple of times I was shocked to find myself getting angry at Maddie, AF arriving also explained it all for me.

Noni - The trolley mates are a great invention arent they? We have one...courteousy of DP's Nanna...unfortunately she picked the most revolting colour, i cant even explain it, but DH refuses to be seen in public next to it and I dont blame him lol. Oil up the bum? LOL What is that!!??? I dont get it. Hope those teeth make their way through soon.

Clare - Thats hillarious that you dropped the mousey at someone elses house. I am the same though, I have rescued a couple of baby mice from my cat because I cant bare to think that he is torturing it before killing it, like cats do.

Sherie - Kids love those ball pits, one of my friends got a small one for her bub at coles for $15. I've been looking for it each time I go shopping, but no go. Oh the joys of living on a farm..hehe

Arte - Oh no hope Will gives you at least one night to catch up on sleep. Please Will!!! Dont worry about the messy home and if DH complains he can clean it. Grr. Maybe as you get to know the girls at mums group better, you can invite them over for a coffee etc? Dont write it off yet, its only early days.

Pregpan - I hear you on the 90 mins of rocking to sleep. Dont worry about the mess, your mum wont mind and I'm sure she can understand. Hope she can look after Noah so that you can get a bit of a well deserved break.

Gracie - Hope you have a nice weekend with your DP's bro & gf. No doubt they will be clucking all over gorgeous Lewis.

Hi Fianne & Cally!

I've had a big cook up today. So far I've made Maddie cauliflower cheese (its delish), apple ambrosia (apple and rice YUMO), pureed up some more pumpkin & s/potato, & pasta with a tomato & vege sauce. Really enjoying cooking for her. Is anyone else having trouble when it comes to feeding fruits & sweet things like banana, pear, apple, custard? Maddie loves her veges, but wont touch anything sweeter.

haley - its something the helath nurse told me lol a little squirt of baby oil in her bum n she goes almost straight away most the time!!! lol asha loved her trolly mate or whatever i think hers is called clean shopper lol
    ahhh bbl winging

Hi Girls!

Wow the sleep thing seems to be the vexing issue this week...maybe these babies are in it together...plotting against their unsuspecting parents LOL!!
    Luckily Leila only woke up once last night, she had a quick feed...trying to resettle without a feed for her is mayhem and I guess i am too weak to try (especially when its 1.30am!), and then grumbled for about 20 minutes in her cot. we are approaching the week mark of her not sleeping properly and i am being reminded of those early newborn weeks...kills any cluckiness that may be lurking!! And I am totally with you Arte on the whole 'too tired to try'. sometimes i just cave in to give myself some respite!
    And i would just like to put it out there Pregpan, that when i read your posts i am totally impressed! working your butt off, cooking amazing meals and doing it on your own when DH is away. you're so strong! and hey, I think it will be great to have your mum around for a bit, take advantage and get some well deserved R&R.

Sherie: yeah, unfortunately the endo played havoc on us TTC. but we got lucky!
    you are so brave for taking care of the mice! i guess though when it's in plague numbers (as it is sounding!) a womans gotta do what a womans gotta do! LOL!!

Cally: leila's had one bout of really bad nappy rash and we used curash and sudocream, lathered it on and only used wet washers to clean her and dried her whole area before putting the cream on. paw paw cream is also great.

Anyway i had best be off as dinner is not going to cook itself and being 9.30pm i am falling way behind...BBL for more personals...

hi everyone! i'm praying that all the bubs decide that this is a good night to start sleeping through.

hayley, i'm impressed with your cooking. all i've done is half a pumpkin and i'm feeling good about myself already. really should experiment more. max likes her veges but loves her fruits/sweets. she just wolfs down pureed pear and apple.

a bit tired from doing a lot and from doing nothing. i feel like i've done so much but when i try to think of what i've done, i can't seem to come up with what i've accomplished. anyway, hope everyone had a good anzac day.

sorry no personals as i can't get my head to respond to what i've read.

Well I feel like I'm back from the brink today. I took your advice Noni and tried the Nurofen at bedtime (still using the Zantac as well) and she still got up 4 times but settled quicker except for once when she was up for an hour. Still not the best scenario but I don't feel completely overwhelmed today. And Dh finally apologised over the phone for being a complete pratt so all's good there too.

Commiserations to everyone else who's having rotten sleeping at their house too, it's amazing how one or two nights can knock you about.

Noni, I had a "What the...?!" moment about the oil in the baby's bum but then I thought about it and figured it was probably a really good tip.

Haley I have an el cheapo version of the trolley mate ($3 at Kmart 9 yrs ago LOL) which has the strapping in function but doesn't cover the whole seat area in fabric. I'm all for E having contact with a few germs around the place. Mine's revolting fabric too, but I love it. I can use it in cafes too to strap her into a regular chair, I haven't used it with E yet but it's in my bag ready to go.

Pregpan I hope you get a well earned rest this weekend with your mum there. Is your DH away for much longer?

Arte - it sounds like you're having a really hard time right now. I KWYM about just wanting to sit down and watch an hour of telly uninterrupted! Also know what you mean about realising they are not going to be your friends. Don't despair, just keep doing things that you enjoy and soon enough you'll bump into some of your own 'peeps' and you'll be friends in no time!

Clare I have mixed feelings about sleep school. I'm actually thinking we might need to do more investigation in the way of making sure she is physically comfortable. Her back and shoulders creak and crack whenever we pick her up (it was something we noticed when she was a day old and the paed checked her out a couple of times and now the physio at the hosp is monitoring it) but what happens if that means she's in pain (not teething) of a night?

Sherie if you see him it's because he's NOT doing his job LOL - supposed to stay out of the way of the cameras. It was a bit less exciting this year because last year his footage was on the news but this year he's just taking pickies. That's funny about A in the ball pit. I had a similar moment with E in the bath, when I started pouring water from a cup for her - she was completely delighted by it, when she saw the cup again tonight her face lit up again LOL. The other funny thing she does in the bath, is when I hold the yellow ducky and quack, she coughs. So it goes "Quack quack quack" "Cough cough cough" "Quack quack quack" "Cough cough cough". She looks pretty pleased with herself when she's doing it too LOL.

Oh and she's really really crawling now, she's given up on commando and just wobbles forwards everywhere. She made it to the threshold of H's room today

ETA - re the food. Noni I was inspired by your couscous talk and did up some chicken and pumpkin and couscous. The first couple of times E was unimpressed with the texture but I added a bit more liquid and now she wolfs it down LOL. In fact she pretty much wolfs everything down.

I've bought a parsnip to try her on and some fresh beetroot (bet she loves that but it will be messy) but I need to get a piece of steak to do Pregpan's stew this week. Also going to try a rice pudding as it has that bit of extra texture to it too.

Is anyone else using the Goulburn Valley fruit purees? Remembered my dietician friend feeding them to her kids and picked a couple up the other day. Sooooo much better texture than the baby food ones (they are like real food, kwim?). I still do some of my own fruit purees but they are handy for something quick.

Fianne I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you've been busy but haven't really done anything. I'll add chasing the baby around to my list of things I've done today. LOL

We had a bit of a scare here tonight. My yumo caulifower cheese seemed to backfire on Maddie, 5 mins after having it she went all rashy and red. Then she was crying uncontrollably, I have never heard her cry like that ever before to the point where she was gasping for air. DP picked up the phone to call the ambo's we were both so shocked, however I managed to calm her down before he called. It was so scary I was crying too! The rash has gone & she is sleeping well but we are keeping a close eye on her. DP is convinced she is slightly allergic to dairy, as I used cows milk and cheese in this puree. What do you think? We cant come up with any other explanation, apart from the fact that she was overtired, but even when she is overtired she has never screamed like that or gone rashy. Far out it was scary.

Before the scary incident, we took her across the road to the park to use the baby swing and she loved it. Just being outdoors on a nice day was great fun as well. She loved watching the older kids on the park, who were equally fascinated with her lol.

MD - SO glad you are feeling better and more refreshed. Good tip re the Goulburn valley fruits. I tried apple and rice on Maddie today and still too chunky for her. The cous cous sounds yum, I'll try it in a week or so as I'm sure she will gag on that too. She gags on tiny pieces hehe. Your DH is very lucky getting to attend the service at Gallipoli, something I'd love to do one day.

Fianne - Cooking for babies is simple once you get into it. Its even so simple just to puree up individual veges like pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot etc and mix a couple for a different dinner every night.

Clare - I agree, the late night wakings and trouble with settling does kill any cluckiness big time! Sometimes I think one child would be just perfect lol.

Figured out why my anzac cookies were very bicarb sodaish....I put one tablespoon instead of one teaspoon!!!!

MD - Have you considered going to an osteopath for E?

Hayley - oh, that's scary. We haven't tried K on dairy yet, am just about to. Are there many allergies in your family?

Oh, she's ready to get up, back later.

Hi Everyone,

Well as i type this my girl is having the biggest conversation with herself in the cot...she just doesnt want to go to sleep. but when i pick her up it's grumpy-bums anonymous and eyes rolling into the back of the head. hhmm she seems happy enough in there though.

Hayley: IKWYM about the whole, i've done so much but what is it? feeling! LOL! the house is a mess and dinner isnt ready, but wowsers i am tired! he he he.

MD: that must be a bit concerning about E. what have the drs said? can they tell if it is giving her pain? and what have they suggested (if anything?). With that in mind i can totally understand your hesitation in going to sleep school - maybe not a sleep issue so much as a discomfort one. maybe with all the crawling she is doing there will be some strenght build up in her shoulders and it might sort itself out??? On that note: Leila is just getting so frustrated in not being able to get to the next step...she is on all fours but the moment she tries to move forward, she slips on her stomach....only a matter of time.
    love the duck game!! leila is still just trying to eat them!

How do you guys go with putting them in the bath? I pop her in on her own and keep my hands really close by. but maybe i am being too paranoid?? (i almost drowned as a toddler and the memory is still rather fresh). Noni i see that you have a bath seat...how are they?

Fianne: man that sounds scary! and what is it with these bubs scaring us at night?! it does sound like a bit of a reaction to the dairy. leila also had this, and we were told by the MACH nurse to hold her off until 8 months. every now and then I'll let her taste some yoghurt or goats cheese from me, but even with those small amounts she gets a rash around her mouth. is that where Maddie had hers?

anyway best be off as we have nothing in the house to eat and the animals are threatening to pack their bags and find a new family...maybe in the run-down house in our street that sold for 1.3 million the other day...man if that is what that kind of money can only buy you, we will only be buying a tent, or maybe a tarp with a piece of string.

Claire - DH does the bath, he lets her sit on her own, but his hands are in the water waiting to catch her if she lunges for a duck or something and slips! We have a non slip mat in there that she sits on.

MD - those fruit purees sounds good, do they need to be refrigerated or can I just pop one in the bottom of the nappy bag for emergencies?

Hayley - glad you worked out why the cookies didn't work. I wish I'd made some here.

Hayley - Poor Maddie!!! Poor YOU!! Gosh that would of been a scare and a half! Is she okay now? When Rory gets really upset he gets a rash around his face. And he tends to flip out if he is overtired and we try to give him dinner. I hope it wasnt a reaction to the milk

After I read your post about your big cook up I decided to get my bum into gear and cook up a storm for Rory. I made the apply and rice that you made for Maddie except I blended it for Rory and he had no problem with the texture. Did you blend it for Maddie?? I also steamed up and blended some pumpkin, carot, sweet potato and beef.

Cass - Will you get my food shopping while your getting yours LOL! Doh your not in perth anymore haha. Does Leila seem to be back to herself now??

Fianne - LOL i am the same! I run around all day and at the end of the day I cant for the life of me think of what ive done. It seems like I do the same thing over and over again dishes, washing, nappy change, feed, dishes, washing, etc haha. IT NEVER ENDS!

MD _ Congrats on E's crawling!!!!!!!

Sherie - We have got mice too! I was dusting the other day and found mouse poo on Rory's shelves. I dont have a clue how they got up there but im not happy about it AT ALL! ewwww. Plus we have spiders with red legs hanging down from our patio every night. Need to find out if they are dangerous.
    How did you go the other day with your sis around?

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

She is her normal self today so I dont know really. I dont think it was a reaction now that I've calmed down and she is happy as so..not quite sure. I've just never seen her cry like that it and it wouldnt have bothered me too much apart from she had a rash, it was scary. My prob with the rice and apple was it could have done with 3 more mins on the stove to make the rice a bit softer, because I did blend it up but the rice was not soft enough. I really am pretty hopeless in the kitchen lol

Great now ive got a bladder infection too! Arghhhhh that plus the bleeding ive already got is going to be lots of fuN!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast