Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~July 1st-15th 2010 #1

Jessey - It was me that had mentioned the hosing off. A shower is probably better. My friend took her girl out into the yard and turned the hose onto her Same thing, was happening her girl was biting and hurting herself (clawing at her own eyes from memory) and she figured the cold water from the hose couldn't hurt her more then what she was hurting herself. I guess at the end of the day you need to do what you need to do, and if she was hurting herself that much and a cold shower worked...good. I know after that one time all my friend needed to do was threaten with a hose and it would snap her out of it. From memory she only did it once (maybe twice).

with any luck that was all she needed and she won't do it again.

OP - You're not a bad baby buddy. You're just very busy. And it';s completely understandable.

It's so gorgeous when they smile isn't it?! So sorry to hear that you've all been sick....again. I hope you're getting over it now. I also hope things are going better with your DD. I really feel for you and Jessey, it must be really hard to watch them get so upset.

EJ - Have fun shopping for the wedding clothes for T. I know I had heaps of fun!

AFU - the wedding is in about 2 hours, so I'll be getting B dressed soon. Can't wait to see him in his little outfit Will definitely take pictures and with any luck the photo album will be fixed soon and I'll be able to put some pictures of him up!
    Last edited by Dr. Tal; September 25th, 2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: posted before I was finished

Hello everyone...thankyou for the warm welcome back

Jessey it sounds like you are having some difficult times but you are managing really really well. I honestly wouldn't have a clue what to do...its funny how children react to change..I think the cold shower thing was the perfect thing to do...As Dr T said- cold water couldn't hurt her more than shes hurting herself. Hang in there

Dr T. Hope the wedding goes well. How exciting it will be to dress B up....boys always look sooo handsome. My nephew was page boy for our wedding and he almost stole the spotlight he was soo gorgeous...LOL

Well little gumnut is goin through a sleep phase which I am totally enjoying...I put her down at 930pm and she sleeps through the night till about 8am...I can't believe it and I hope it never stops.... LOL

Gumnut had tongue tie at birth which meant she couldnt attatch properly for bfing. We did manage though but in the end she still hadnt gained weight by 4 weeks so I had to start expressing milk and FFing her...she is struggling more and more with bfing and I'm lucky if she bf's for more than 10 minutes. So at the moment she is partially breast fed, some expressed breast milk and some formula...the lactation consultant is amazed gumnut tolerates it all...LOL
    Now that gumnut is sleepig through she has dropped her 1am and 5am breastfeed (which were usually the best times to feed her) so I'm beginning to dry up. Currently I am expressing like crazy but not much is happening.
    Everytime I do bf her I think this could be the last time...

Other than that gumnut is brilliant. Very vocal- she has discovered squelling recently lol

Am keen to hear if any of you ladies are returning to work. I have 7 weeks left then back to it...scary

xxxx

Delph - I've heard about tongue tie and how it can affect feeding, but I actually don't know what it is

I nearly lost my milk after I had my appendix out and I had a lactation consultant come and give me a whole heap of tips. Maybe some of them could help you with your milk supply. I apologise if you've already been told these things. I was told to express about 15 minutes after a feed. Even if nothing comes out, it's the stimulation that is needed for more milk to be produced. I was also told to wake myself up during the night (if possible) and express some then too, as like you that was when I produced the most. Also drink LOTS AND LOTS of water. I drink about 5 litres a day. Lots of skin to skin contat. Especially when feeding. I only have a diaper on B and unless I am out in public I take both my top and bra off to maximise contact. Also get Gumnuts hand and put it on your breast. Apparently this encourages milk letdown. Especially if bubs starts to kneed your breast. I'm sure there were more things, but those are the only ones I can remember. I know how it felt when I was afraid of loosing my milk, thinking each feed could be the last. I love BF him so much it was really horrible. Hopefully you'll keep producing and being able to feed gumnut for ages to come

B is very vocal too, but thankfully has NOT discovered how to squeal yet

I'm going to be returning to work at 6 months. My first day back is January 4th (happy new year to me ) I'm really not looking forward to it. DH and I are also looking into our finances to see if we can manage if I only go back 3 days a week. Luckily I have a good employer and they allow you to go back part time (3 days a week) until your child is school age. I coulnd't imagine going back in 7 weeks time Everything is SO different now and B is doing so many new things every day, I just don't want to miss a thing.

AFU - the wedding was really nice and B was fantastic! I think he definitely stole the show. EVERYONE had a hold of him. He also caught the garter DH took him up, it was so funny, DH turned around and told all the guys "I have a baby and I'm not afraid to use him" cracked me up. So he got to have a dance with the bride....and a kiss from her. He's such a womanizer going after the older women like that...and a newly married one to boot

HEy guys.

Dr T- that cracked me up what your DH said. He is obviously a very proud father...very cute
    I to will be going back to work 2-3 days a week...I am looking forward to it but very anxious at the same time. Gumnut will be looked after by DH so I am having to train him up for it that has come with all sorts of interesting issues but we are beginning to resolve them now. DH describes me as a "nag" and "bossy" but I would say I am "knowledgeable" and "sharing that knowledge"

Anyway, FYI- Tongue tie is where the skin at the bottom of the tongue is too tight and won't allow the tongue to move. When babies are in utereo they use their tongue to rub against the top of there mouth to form the palate. With babies with tongue tie the cant move their tongue and therefore have a flat palate which makes breastfeeding very troublesome as they grasp the nipple with their gums instead of using their tongue against the palate. It can also cause speech difficulties later in life.
    Anyways in most cases it is corrected easily through a simple procedure where the doc snips the bit of skin holding down the tongue but I had a midwife who wanted me to persevere in trying to get gumnut to feed rather than have a surgical procedure. I was none the wiser and did what she suggested but unfortunately we were unsuccessful and resulted in gumnut developing a very weird palate...the midwife then said yep-get it snipped (4 weeks later) but by then the damage was done
    Now with Gumnut- she can't hold the nipple in the back of her mouth and push it against her palate...all the can do is sit it in the front of her mouth and hold it with her gums. This is a major issue for when she develops teeth (for obvious reasons). She will feed well but once let down passes and she has to 'work' for the milk she cracks it....and I mean cracks it!!!
    Initially my supply wasn't a huge problem as I was expressing, but she has dropped 2 feeds at night and expressing can only do so much. My AF has also returned and the LC said that can dry up supply....anyways I am starting on motilium today so hopefully I can atleast increase my supply enough so she is having EBM instead of being FF.
    Oopps...Sorry to bore anyone ....but knowledge is power so hopefully it comes in handy if you or your friends need the info one day. Dr T- your ideas are most welcome. I especially like the skin contact stuff...hmmm...forgot about that To busy thinking supply, gums, palate, supply etc....LOL...will try more skin contact from now on...thankyou.

Hope everyone else is doing well and getting some good sleeps in!

Delph - I don't know about anyone else, but you didn't bore me at all. That's interesting about the tongue tie and the palate stuff. I hope gumnut's palate hasn't been TOO stuffed up and that you don't have any issues down the track with her teeth and speech. I can definitely understand now why you are having such a hard time breast feeding her. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll at least be able to maintain enough supply to express feed her. And DEFINITELY do the skin to skin contact! Hopefully it will help.

That's great that your DH will be taking care of gumnut. We'll have to put B in daycare....well I'll qualify that. We will have to put B in daycare because neither of us trust DH's mother or sister to look after him and his father can only watch him one day a week. So at the moment we have B booked into daycare for 3 days, but we might have to up that to 4 if I have to go back full time.

AFU - Had a massive scare yesterday afternoon. I still get upset just thinking about it. DH had just got home and was cooking dinner and I went to change B but realised we didn't have any diapers up here they were still all hanging up downstairs. I went to get one off the line and as B was crying I took him with me. I went down the back stairs and I must not have been paying enough attention as I missed a step. Thankfully I was nearly at the bottom or I'd have killed both of us. Anyway, I missed a step (third from the bottom I think) and fell. I somehow managed to put one foot on the ground so I didn't fall on top of B, but I twisted my ankle and stumbled again. I held him out again so I wouldn't fall on him and went do onto my knees. I somehow managed to keep him from hitting the ground, but the poor little mite was terrified and just started screaming. DH of course raced down the stairs and I honestly don't think he knew what to do. He wanted to take B but he wanted to help me too. I gave him B and managed to pick myself up off the ground. My knees are a mess, all bruised and bloody, and my ankle is killing me, but B wasn't hurt at all, which is the main thing. Got back upstairs and gave B a huge cuddle and had a massive cry. The whole thing happened in slow motion, felt like it took 10 minutes, and the whole time all I could think was how I needed to protect B and how scared I was that I was going to fall on him or hit his head on the concrete and kill him. It was horrible. Now I am scared to take him out. Because we live in a highset I have to carry him down the stairs to go out anywhere and I am terrified of falling again and not being able to protect him next time.

Whoa Dr T.... At times I have wondered what would happen if I tripped over on gumnut or something...It absolutley would have been a frighting experience for you- thankfully you didn't fall on B, but it wouldn't have been your fault if you did It complicates things even more that you have to go up and down stairs all the time...all I can suggest is that you try not to develop a fear of taking him with you down stairs IYKWIM otherwise it could make things really difficult for you. take it easy going down the stairs and don't focus on not falling if that makes sense...Most of all be kind to yourself Dr T-unfortunately these things happen . I hope your knees heal up really quick

Dr T - huge hugs and squishy cuddles...

I slipped carrying X a while ago - on the way in to the maternal and child health centre of all places! I had X in the carry case that goes with the pram and DD running ahead, so I was watching her and not where I was walking and stepped on a patch of muddy-slime-coated-concrete. My heel went straight forward and I ended up going down hard on the other knee and the carrier sort of slammed onto the ground. X was fine thankfully...

You can't beat yourself up too much about it hun - it was an accident. You'll take the steps one at a time for a while until you feel confident again. Trust me when I say in a blink of an eye he will be holding your hand walking down them on his own!

I also reckon that even if you'd missed one of the top steps, somehow you would have fallen and kept B safe. It's in our genes - we are programmed to endure masses of pain to protect our little ones. You are a great mum - your first thought was for B. Big hugs.

Delph - my friend's DS (born three weeks after my DS) had tongue tie, which her DH corrected at home!! Not quite as bad as it sounds - he is a doctor, registrar of emergency medicine at one of our big hospitals in Melbourne and has just finished a secondment at the Royal Children's Hospital in Paediatric Emergency! So he's qualified

I learned all sorts of stuff about it from her - I hope it hasn't done too much damage to little Gumnut!

delphmoon - Sorry to hear about Gumnut's tongue tie, i had heard of it before but had no idea what it was so thanks for explaining. Hope there wasn't too much damage done. Good luck with the EBM i'll have my fingers crossed for you

Dr Tal - Sounds like you had a good time at the wedding so cute that B is a ladies man already
    As for the fall when i was pg i was at my mum's side stepped off a ledge was holding Lyla on my right side which is the way i was falling but i somehow managed to get her onto my left side to land on top of me!
    She didn't get so much as a scratch, me on the other hand... lol.
    Like Oceanprincess said - We are programmed to protect our babies no matter what happens to ourselves in doing so.

AFU we're good still no more tantrums! WOOHOO! She gets stroppy but what 2 year old (or any agedd person for that matter) doesn't?
    Shay is such a placid, happy little girl. I'm actually happy with life at the moment which is awesome
    We will be moving in 2 weeks to a house with a yard for Miss Lyla which will hopefully make her a happier girl. She loves it outside but the house we're in now doesn't have a yard so she's inside or on the veranda all the time. Also they allow pets so we can get her a dog so excited! lol

Hope everyone else is well xx

Morning all

Jessey- good to hear no more tantrums. Hopefully it was all a phase and she has worked out where the boundaries are. And your moving house? It must be busy times at your house right now...I hate packing. A backyard for little miss sounds perfect for everyone and especially with the nice weather starting it will no doubt get some good use.

OP. Hope all is going well with you and I hope your feeling better Dr T and those knees have improved

AFU- Gumnut had her immunisations yesterday. DH had to hold her because I was worried I would cry when she cried and guess what...DH had a tear or two instead...he said next time her won't hold her because he felt like he was being the 'bad guy'...I spose I have to be the bad guy next time then...lol...Anyways...she had a very restless night...no temp or anything-just grumpy. Poor love.
    My AF has returned and (TMI) I am having a very heavy flow- 1 pad every 2 hours or so...hmmm...and its day 3 of it. Am not sure if a weird heavy flow is normal for the first AF after giving birth
    On the upside- I started on motilium yesterday which increases breast milk production and even though they said it takes 5-7 days to work I had both boobs dripping all over the place this morning I did as DR T suggested and have been drinking heaps of water so it keeps up.

Hope everyone is traveling well

Thanks everyone. I'm my knees aren't quite as bad as they were anymore but I just got home from the doctor as my belly button incision really startted to hurt again. The doctor says I have a boarderline hernia...probably from the fall. He said I'll have to monitor it which means a doctors visit every week until it either heals or he decides it has gotten worse and I need another operaction

Delph - WOOHOO that's fantastic about your milk dripping all over the place!! Drink lots and lots of water. I have three water bottles that I constantly haver full and placed strategically around the house so no matter which room I am in I can drink it and don't have any excuses not to. DH says I'm good at 'concocting' excuses

I'm making DH take B for his next shots because I felt so horrible about it. I nearly did start to cry.

Jessey - That's great about DD1. You must be very relieved.

I didn't know you were moving. Hopefully the move goes smoothly for you. I always hate packing. It will be fantastic that you'll have a yard for your little one to run around in. She'll love that

OP - I can believe that it will feel like no time before B is running up and down the stairs on his own. He's al;ready growing SO FAST

hi to everyone else.

AFU - I made myself take B out with me both yesterday and today when I fed the birds. I also made myself take him down with me and put him in the bouncer when I hung the clothes out. Was still really nervous about it. Oh well.

Do any of you have any suggestions for cradle cap? I think B has it
    gotta run. B just woke

Hows it going Dr T- hopefully your not hiding inside and avoiding steps LOL As for the cradle cap I know there is some special shampoo you can get from the pharmacy but I cant remember what it is called...will find out

Pretty quiet around ATM- everyone busy with their babes..

Little gumnut has had me running around. She had her immunisations and has been grissly. Occasional smiles but mostly not knowing what she wants . She did however feed at the boob for 15 mins each time yesterday and had only one bottle of formula at 6pm otherwise she was fully breastfed....I was ecstatic...

Well, better do some housework while she is sleeping...GO THE PIES....LOL

Last edited by delphmoon; October 1st, 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: I wrote cradle CRAP...LOL

Delph - That's FANTASTIC that you were able to BF your little gumnut so often yesterday. Only one bottle of formula! Looks like that medicine you are taking is really helping (and maybe a bit of help from the skin to skin and extra water as well )

No, I'm not hiding in the house, but I do have to admit I'm not taking him outside with me as much as I did before the fall.

Jessey - I forgot to ask if you knew what sort of dog you were going to be getting when you move into your new place

AFU - B has slepth through the entire night all week. Before he'd only wake up once a night , and sleep through about once a week. But he's slept through every night this week. Which has been nice except for the fact that I wake up with soaking wet sheets and blankets I even wore my bra and heavy breast pads last night, but soaked through the pads and STILL got my sheets and blanket soaking wet. I think I might have to set an alarm to wake up about 3 express a bit and then go back to bed

Hi everyone, just a quick one, typing with one hand.

Dr Tal - scary about the fall glad you guys are ok, thats one of my fears. My friend fell over earlier this year with her little man in her arms, she protected him although he did go for a roll, only on the grass though. Shr broke her ankle on one leg and snapped ligaments in the other and ended up in a wheel chair. They live out of town too so her MIL had to come and help her everyday.
    As for cradle cap, I make up a paste of bicarb and water, and paint or smear it all over the cradle cap, just watch the eyes as it dries so little B doesnt rub it around, once it dries rinse it off shampoo his head and if you have a soft brush, brush all over the head in circular motion, to get the shampoo right into it (if you dont have a brush use a face washer) then rinse it all off well, you may need to do it a few days in a row, but it wont come back. They say waashing their har before the bath not in the bath helps prevent it.

ummm sorry everyone else, I cant remember who said what but I will keep up with it all now, how rude I am

AFM - not much to report, was suppposed to launch website/business today but had a small set back, so hopefully in the next week. We are all good, going along nicely, few little issues but nothing major.

Talk soon xoxo

Salad - I tried to send you a private message but your inbox is full.

Wow, compared to what your friend did to herself I came out of it easy.

Thanks for the information on cradle cap. Will make up the paste tonight and give it a try. And I do have a soft brush, so I'll make sure that I brush the shampoo in very well.

AFU - I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I've been teaching B to blow raspberries. He cracks me up. I'll do one and he gets a huge smile and giggles, then he'll stick his tongue out. Sometimes it looks like he's trying to blow too as little spit bubbles will come out the corner of his mouth. Then he'll just giggle and giggle while kicking his legs and waving his arms about. Then I'll do another one and so it. DH was holding him last night and B stuck his tongue out at him and started to giggle so I explained to him what B was doing so DH sat with him for the next 20 minutes or so and blew raspberries at him. It was really cute.

Over the dramas of moving already and we haven't even started... Real estate is USELESS and the owners are no better! Can't wait to get out of this crappy place into a place that's doors actually close, it doesn't flood when its raining, or sink and have to be jacked up every couple of months it will also be great not to be sharing any more just me and my family woohoo. Note to self no matter what sob story people spin to us in the future there will be no house sharing lol

Dr Tal - i really don't know lol i love pretty much all dogs so just gonna look around and see what my choices are.
    Would love another Staffy but the fences aren't real high and staffies are awesome climbers haha.
    Would also love a great dane but yard isn't big enough and Lyla's not very confident with big dogs.
    I was thinking maybe a ****er spaniel or a gordon setter... Ahhh i don't know lol A small to medium dog that's good with kids.
    If you have any suggestions let me know

Your DH sounds like a real doting dad, beautiful. And it sound really cute about B and the raspberries

Salad - You're not rude just busy
    hope all goes well for your website launch for next week

delphmoon - hope Gumnut gets over her immunisations quickly poor little chook i hate immunisation time i cried the first time DD1 got hers (and the second and the third lol) cried when Shay got hers and the child health nurse thought it was sweet DF just thought i was a sook

to everyone else
    Last edited by Blixie; October 1st, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

Jessey - I wouldn't completely rule out a great dane if you really want one. They aren't actually very active dogs due to their size. They do enjoy a good play though. As long as you make sure you play with them once or twice a day ( a really good play, which won't be hard with a little one to run around with) they're pretty inactive the rest of the time. They are also remarkably gentle dogs and are good with children. They also tend to be VERY protective of kids whish is always a bonus as well. You do haev to be careful when buying one though as they are very prone to hip dysplasia and glaucoma.

That's my Great dane speil I guess it really depends on what you are looking for though as far as what type of dog you get. DO be careful if you get a spaniel though. While a lot of them are smaller dogs they are very high strung and need LOTS of excersize, so realistically they tend to need a larger dog then a dane would. They can also get a bit nippy, which can be a problem around small children. So9me do have better temperments then others though.

AFU - My big boy went totally blind last night (he has rapid onset gluacoma and lost site in one eye over a year ago, and just lost the other one last night). I'm pretty devastated about it I really don't know what to do. I don't want to put him down, but I don't want to keep him alove just for me. I want him to have a decent quality of life. So do anyt of you had, or know anyone who has had a blind dog. And if you have did the dog go blind later in life or when they were younger? (my boy is 9 1/2) I At the moment he's just really scared and doesn't know what is happening. He won't leave my side. I'm takign him into the vet later today, I won't be making any decisions straight away, I just want to have him looked at.

Thanks for the info am gonna do some research before i decide
    your poor boy how frightening for him. I wouldn't have a clue what to do if i were in your position...
    Good luck i hope you find a solution to suit you both with a happy outcome

Awww...Dr T...its just sooo sad when our cherished pets start to decline. My 10 yo blue heeler has breast cancer. We have been having the lumps removed for a year or so but they keep coming back. We have decided enough is enough and plan on keeping her comfortable and pain free...big hugs to you and your 'big boy'

Jessey. It sounds like you are living in my old house...LOL...except they never jacked the house up they just let it sink! I hope you get an amazing house that you just love!

everyone else!!!!

AFU: Gumnut is just the best..lol.. She has her baptism this weekend...Mum made her the most adorable dress...I can't wait. I'm not a catholic (DH is) so I'm looking forward to the dress and the photos more than anything...LOL...

AND

My breast milk is still flowing

This week has been a real turning point for DH and gumnut. DH is a wonderful caring Daddy. He hates it when gumnut cries and he takes it personally so when gumnut is sitting with him and starts crying he gets upset and hands her to me. I have been trying to explain that it isn't him but more she is tired/hungry/bored etc. I refused to let him hand her to me (as much as I wanted her lol) and told him he has to learn to manage her. He felt I was bossing him around when I would say things like sit her up, hug her...etc...but after persistence and long talks DH and gumnut are inseparable. He has learnt to 'read' her....I'm soo pleased!!!

He put her to bed last night which he hasn't done before as he believed he upsets her...well anyway...last night I stood in the door way and whispered to him what to do...I was praying she would go to sleep because he really needed it IYGWIM...anyways...she feel to sleep straight away...thank god...and he was as pleased as punch. He came out of her room chest puffed out...sooo cute...LOL

Anyway- I hope everyone is doing well and all the "July" babies are strong and healthy bundles!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast