Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~July 1st-15th 2010 #1

Hi Ladies
    Sorry for not posting for weeks. Living a bit of a nightmare here at the moment.

Emma - sounds like we have similar bubs. DS hardly ever sleeps longer than 20 minutes during the day unless it is in my arms, pram, car etc etc. Its driving me crazy not being able to do anything and my poor toddler is getting no attention at all. I usually take him to bed with me during the day when toddler is sleeping so at least we both get a bit of rest. Its just so hard. Anyone got any advice.

My first bub was extremely pukey. Spewed all day every day - a happy chucker - but continued to thrive so was a mess more than a problem. I breastfed as well. It will eventually stop but get used to doing plenty of washing in the meantime.

As for getting back in the saddle - if I had a spare 90 seconds in my day that would be the last thing I would want to be doing !!!!

Abdomen and pelvic floor all intact so sorry cant help anyone out there.

Took bub for 6-8 week check with GP. What I thought was dry skin and baby pimples/rash turns out to be infant eczema - has anyone has any experience with how to deal with it. Its not too bad so hpefully won't get any worse. I ahve a neice who sufferred horrendously with eczema and allergies to everything and it has got me really worried and stressed.

So that together with a non-sleeping windy colicy bub i'm not doing so well at the momenht.

Sorry for the downer post. Will try and get a minute to post a bit more often.
    xxJac

Hi jacki - sorry to hear you are not having a fun time right now, big hugs to you xoxo. Have you thought about getting yourself some sort of sling or baby carrier, so you can pop baby in and go about your day. Just a thought.
    As for the eczema everyone has something different that works and what works for one might not work for the other but I swear by moogoo, google it and have a read. If DD ever got it really bad I would treat it twice a day for 3 days with cortisone that the dr gave us then manage it with moogoo. Some littlies cant have any other material on their bodies except for 100% cotton thats just something else you can try if nothing else works

Hi to everyone else lurking but not posting.

So as I said I would I got back into the saddle over the weekend, glad the "1st" time is out of the way now lol. I was very pleased that it didnt really hurt which was great I had a second degree tear but my ob stitched me up using one long stitch and I reckon thats made the difference. hahaha I was joking to DH that he has sewn me up a neat little package, before giving birth to E my inner lips protruded a bit so they were always visible now they are all tucked away lol sorry for the TMI but I said to DH he must have used my "excess" labia to repair me hahahaha.
    Dr Tal - laughing about the giving you an extra stitch if needed, its so funny how guys think you are stretched after having a baby. Cute that you take B on the horse, how special.

OP - how is your DD going is she sleeping, did you end up putting a night light in her room. How is your little man going?

Thanks Salad. Have checked out the website. Is it the moogoo eczema cream you use? How old was G when it started? Does she still have it?? - sorry for the 100 questions.

I am going throu DS clothes to see what is 100% cotton. So many are cotton and nylon/polyester/elasten - running out of clothes for him!

Good for you getting back on horse - my poor husband. I dont have the highest of libidos at the best of times

yep thats the one, she was only very little when it started, probably due to the heat as she was born in the middle of summer. I use it on E now for his baby acne on his face as his face is so dry because of it. Dont say sorry for the questions thats what we are here for - to help each other. It is very hard to find 100% cotton anywhere, I know pumpkin patch stuff is usually 100% cotton but can be expensive however i pick up a lot of cheap stuff off their clearance racks all the time. Maybe start a thread and see if anyone else can help you.

As for G still getting excema - she does but its related to additives and preservatives in food. Your breastmilk could affect your DS too depending on what you eat but it may not be the cause - just a suggestion. Be careful of MSG the 600 numbers.

Hi ladies,

Have grabbed the laptop finally and can write a proper reply, yay!

Sal - good on you for getting back into it this weekend. We sort of attempted to but no go. Maybe tonight. See what time little X settles...

As for DD - sleep is better than when she was sick, she still wakes during the night sometimes... last night once, the night before twice... it varies from night to night. She's generally pretty easy to resettle, but she's waking early in the morning (between 5 and 6) so that sucks. We haven't tried the night light... She seems to be getting better... maybe! I think her four eye teeth (or canines?) are all through now so that's probably helping.

Jacki - so sorry to hear things are getting crazy for you guys. I am exhausted enough running around after toddler and dealing with X and he seems pretty settled and cruisey most of the time. I don't know how I'd be dealing with it if he was unsettled... I think I'd be moving in with the in laws!!!!!

I second the sling/carrier idea - I'm currently in possession of an Ergo, a baba sling and a hug a bub! Trying to work out which one I like the best... but for the times when X wants to be held and my DD is awake and needs attention, the carrier is invaluable. Liking the HAB best at the moment. Have you contemplated something like that? Might help??

Do you have much support? Family live near by? Any friends that could take toddler for a day, give you some good rest time? Spend the day in bed with DS? Big hugs... you sound exhausted.

Oh and WRT to the eczema - DD developed a little red spot on her cheek around 9wks, which turned into eczema over a few weeks. She had flare ups on her face, neck, some on her arms and also back of the knees. We did a few things to combat it...
    - Cortisone/steroid creams to treat the initial outbreak (or when it got really bad - you can only use them once or twice a day, for only a few days as they are too strong to be used any longer)
    - Only bathe in water, or use a bath oil - something soap free is the important thing (we switched to Dermaveen bath oil, seemed to help coat her skin and not dry it out)
    - Dermaveen lotion for after bath - every bath
    - Switching to a sensitive washing powder (we use Omo sensitive)

I hope some of those help! I can also report that she seems to have grown out of it... hasn't had a flare up since she was about 12mths. We still use Omo sensitive, we still bathe her in non-soap products (mostly) and I've still got the cortisone creams on hand, but touch wood we won't need them. I never changed her clothes... no one suggested that!

Emma - our days are dictated by what activity we have planned for DD, or if we need to go out anywhere or do anything. DD is generally awake between 6-7am (or earlier sometimes!!) and generally X feeds sometime between 5 and 7, after which he'll have a bit more sleep, so once he's asleep I do brekkie for me and DD and then get her and me ready. I can have a shower etc and she's happy to play in the bathroom or run up and down outside the bathroom terrorising the cat

Around brekkie and getting me and DD dressed I can throw on a load of washing or two, sort clothes, do dishes if I'm lucky. X generally wakes around 8 or 9, depending on when he fed, then I get him up and ready. He'll have some awake time - sits in the bouncer watching DD, has some tummy time/floor play, nappy off time on the change table... that's about it. They don't need a lot of interactive play stuff at this age - I do have a play mat that I'll be getting out soon!

So then we either go out for playgroup or something, or DD goes down for a sleep. X cat naps (he's having lots of awake time during the day ATM and little short sleeps) - so if we are out, he naps in the pram or the car, if we are home he naps in the bouncer or sometimes his cradle if I'm lucky. Sometimes he settles himself without needing anything from me, sometimes he feeds to sleep, sometimes he needs bouncing/rocking. I was so stressed out with DD, she needed to be rocked to sleep every single time and I was freaking myself out that I was "teaching her bad habits" and stuff. I'm trying to be a whole lot more relaxed this time around!

Night times are hectic - DH will get home some time in the afternoon (tradie hours) and we generally have an awake baby, a tired toddler, dinner to get ready and numerous other tasks! I'm trying to get X into the bedtime routine of feed, bath, feed, bed... seems to be getting there, apart from the bed thing, LOL. DH does baths (both kids together) and gets kids dressed for bed while I'm doing dinner or helping, we eat with DD, generally with me feeding X at the same time, then DD goes to bed at 7pm and we deal with X. Some nights he has been asleep by 6.30pm, most nights he'll feed, be awake, feed some more, doze, wake, feed... going to sleep some time between 9pm and 1am!

Once DD is in bed we can attempt to do dishes and washing (generally just nappies) and have some down time, as much as possible with X anyway.

Wow, that's very long... sorry! Will post this, give X a feed and come back for some more...

Ahh, just when you think you have them settled... you take them off the boob and they wake on up! Sigh... back in the bouncer for you, little X man!

Emma - I think you asked about abdo separation? I had a big split with DD, about four fingers' width - so that's probably about 6cm like you. Go see a physio - they will give you some exercises to start them knitting back together. My physio told me it was important if I was planning to have another bub close to DD, which we did.

Interestingly I don't have as much of a split this time around... so its not all bad for you

Dr T - you asked about pelvic floor? One good way to test whether you have any pelvic floor issues is to try and stop the flow when you are doing a wee, if you are able to then you do have some pelvic floor control! But don't try and do it more than once... apparently it can cause UTIs or something.

I thought my pelvic floor was ok-ish but then I had my 6wk post natal check on Fri and the GP said that I need to do my pelvic floor muscles as I have a slight prolapsed bladder She said its nothing to worry about but I need to get on top of it and be sure it doesn't develop into anything else...

Argh, gotta try and feed X some more... sigh... go to sleep, baby!

Salad / OP - thanks so much for your advice and support. It means a lot. Poor DS sometimes he looks terrible and sometimes you would hardly notice it. There is a bit under his arm that bothers me. I am taking him for needles tomorrow so will get Dr to have a look - I am not too sure how bad it is before you should use the cortisone cream.

Hi to everyone.
    Im off to try and have an afternoon nap with DS
    xx

Hi ladies. I am making dinner while DH tries to settle T. It's been another day with no sleep since about 9.30am. How can a 6 week old baby go that long without sleeping??? I got him to the point of closed eyes, calm breathing a few times. First couple of times I put him in his bassinet and he woke up and started bawling and I couldn't resettle him in there. So I eventually just let him sleep in my arms but even then he woke up after about 20 minutes, which if I'm not mistaken isn't even one sleep cycle! Gah!! Tried taking him for a drive, picked DH up from work early and drove to the shops, but he was awake the whole car trip. At least he wasn't crying this time, drove my sister home last night and he was hysterical by the time we got home. Sigh. It just occurred to me, it's like he cries instead of sleeps during the day. I wonder if there's something to that.

Jacki - Sounds like you're having a tough time of things, sorry to hear that. I thought a sling was going to be my saving grace, but T needs me to be moving all the time or starts to cry. Gets very tiring! And is hard to do housework still! Have you tried that yet?

Salad - nice work getting a little cosmetic surgery for free down there! It's great that DTD wasn't too painful for you. I'm so jealous - we tried on the weekend but I found it really painful. Hoping it just needs a few warm up attempts!!!

OP - Thanks for the run down of your day, it's interesting to know the routine of other bubs and their mum! And I'm glad to hear the abdominal separation doesn't have to be as bad the second time. I'm off to a review class tomorrow before I start some physio led exercise classes at the hospital, presumably I'll find out what to do about the split then.

Gotta run... talk soon!

Jacki - I find if the excema doesnt budge by itself or with normal moisturiser, then I use the cortisone, but only twice a day for 3 days max as it can thin the skin. I think bad excema can get infected so its important to stay on top of it. Definantly talk to your Dr.

Emma - you poor thing your really having a hard time, I wish I could come and help you just so you can get some rest, you must be exhausted, do you have someone other than your DH to help you. Does T have a dummy, is he wrapped, could you get one of those baby swing things that he can sleep in maybe the movement might help him sleep and leave you hands free. If he is wrapped maybe try unwrapping, I really dont know I am just trying to offer you some options. I hope it gets better.

Does anyone elses bub have baby acne, E had it bad on his face and its a bit better now, but his skin is so so dry and flaky and red, I thought maybe it could be excema too but I am not sure.

Sorry I've been MIA

Will explain that later...won't try personals, but will answer some questions, but I can't remember who asked them.

Bamboo is also suppose to be good for eczema. It's suppse to by hypoallergetic.

For 'play' time I'll give B nudie baby time, tummy time and back time on his play mat. I have a musical thing that plays music and flashes bright lights that he likes to stare out. We have a mobile that he's fascinated with as well. I also read to him once a day. Not that he can understand and he doesn't look at the pictures, but it's suppose to help their literacy later in life.

Because B likes the sling so much I am able to get lots of housework done because he's happy to be in that while I do it, so I can vaccuum, do the dishes, laundry all that stuff. The sling also settles him really well when he's upset.

B spits up alot. But because he's gaining weight well and he doesn't seem to be distressed by it I've been told not to worry about it.

AFU - I've had an interesting week.

Three things I've learned in the past week.

1. Apparently it's okay to take morphene and oxycodone while breastfeeding but not neurophen

2. Apparently there is a HUGE black market for breast milk in Australia/world wide That's why they keep the EBM fridge in maternity wards locked and people need to sign in and out.

3. Apparently appendicitis is a common post labour (yes....post labour) complication, especially over the summer/fall winter/spring seasons.

How did I learn these facts you ask?

Well, it all started last Saturday (this is LONG so grab your bub and pop em on for a feed )

Started spotting Saturday morning. Thought great....AF....just my luck. I was hoping she'd hold off for a bit longer since I was breast feeding. Saturday night started to get some mild cramping. Didn't think anything of it.

Sunday the cramping got worse, but I just assumed it was worse period pains and that since I hadn't had a period for a while I just wasn't use to them. They got quite bad by Monday morning. DH told me to call the doctor....but I didn't listen By the time he got home Monday they were pretty bad and he MADE me call the doctor. I got an appointment for the next day at 10.

Put B down for the night and I was in heaps of pain. Took me ages to get into bed because it hurt so much and finally get to sleep. Think I fell asleep about 10:30. Woke up at 11:30 in excruciating pain. Worse then what I went through when I was in labour. Plus I was freezing and had uncontrollable shivers. Looked over at DH and he didn't have any covers on. That's when I decided things weren't right (that's me...Dr. T the brain scientist ) Woke DH and told him I needed to go to hospital. He got up, got dressed, stocked the nappy bag. Got B strapped in the capsule and into the car. By that time I'd just made it out of bed I was in so much pain. Took me ages longer to get dressed.

Got to emergency, took me about 10 minutes to walk the 100m from the car to the entrance. Told the nurse I had severe abdominal pains. She was less then helpful until she found out I had given birth just 7 weeks earlier. I was straight in when she found that out. Took my temp was 38.9...that got them moving.

Got into emergency. They put a cannula in...after 4 attempts.....vomited....got given maxalon.....vomited again. Was curled up in a little ball whimpering in pain. B needed a feed...was barely able to feed him. They wanted to give me morphene, but I refused until I found out if it was safe while breast feeding. Made them send up someone from maternity. This is when I found out the first half of my interesting fact 1. Morphene AND oxycodone are both considered breastfeeding friendly....go figure. So this is where I entered lala land and B joined me about 2 hours later. Wasn't happy with the fact he was high and told myself I wasn't having any more morphene or other drugs that would affect him.

Don't remember too much. Had heaps of tests done. DH and B went home about 4 (I had a few feeds of EBM frozen...thankfully). Got brought to the surgical ward about 9. Had been able to express about 160 ml. EBM came with me and got put in surgical ward fridge which was not locked. Was told I had to have surgery as I had either one of two things:
    A. Appendicitis
    B. Abcessed fallopian tube and ovary.
    Either way it/they needed to be removed as I was septic and would die. (way to be melodramatic). called DH to bring in some more milk.
    Wasn't too happy with the tube ovary scenario, but didn't really have much choice. DH and B got back to hospital with freind (to look after B while I was in surgery as DH had a job he HAD to do as it was a reno) about 10 minutes before I got wheeled off to be prepped for surgery.

Got wheeled out. Was asked if I knew what was happening. and to tell them in my own words. Was I happy with this. NO to the tube and ovary thing but didn't ahve much choice so told them to do what they needed to so. Signed all the forms. Stared at the light in the ceiling...then I was in recovery.

It was my appendix...thankfully. It had burst Monday night...probably when I woke up in excruciating pain with the shivers. My abdomen was filled with pus and my appendix had gone gangrenous (as in had gangrene...not sure if I spelled that right). Was pretty close to dying because I'd gone septic and was told my milk might dry up.

Got back to my room and saw a tin of formula. I saw RED. Went off at my friend for givign him "that [email protected]!t" there was EMB in the fridge. She said she went to get it and it wasn't there. Called her a liar, continued to go off at her. That's when the lactation consultant came in. Heard what I was yelling about and this is when I learned fact 2. She asked if the fridge was locked. we both said no. She said it had probably been stolen as there is a MASSIVE black market for EBM and it fetches VERY high prices. Apparently cancer patients use it as they think it has healing properties. So somewhere there is a cancer patient who was recently high on my morphene laced EBM.

So my poor boy had to have two feeds of formula. Didn't agree with him much. He got constipated and had tummy pains for about 3 days.

I refused more morphene as I didn't want B to be high and asked if I coudl alternate between panadol and neurophen instead (one or the other every two hours). But no...apparently neurophen is not breast feeding friendly (but morphene and oxycodone are...go figure).

So have been in quite a bit of pain...well A LOT of pain, but would rather that then have B high.

Surgeon came in on Wed. That's when he told me that apparently appendicitis is quite common post labour. Something to do with all the hormone changes in the body that make condition just right....go figure. It's also more common when seasons change from summer to fall and winter to spring.

So, I've been hanging out in hospital with B. Got to come home yesterday. Saw the LC heaps as my milk got a lot less and it had a lot less fat in it. She gave me lots of tips and hints to keep my suppply and get the fat back, and today it seems to be more normal.
    B's a lot more settled then he's been in days as well, so fingers crossed it's all right again. And thankfully my milk didn't dry up enitrely.

OMG Dr Tal I am so glad you are ok you poor thing. Will pop back in later to talk more but have to go now. Oh and by the way FYI it says on the side of the nurofen pack suitable for breastfeeding mothers.

Sal - Huh...it does too. After I read your post I sent DH down to the store to get some for me. Makes you wonder about the medical system when they say neurophen isn't OK but morphene and oxycodone, to powerful and addictive sedatives are.

Can't wait for the neurophen to kick in. Should cut the pain some....thankfully!

Oh my Dr T you poor thing!!!! I'm so glad you're ok! My sister's appendix burst when she was about 10 and it was terrible!!

What a brave woman you are refusing pain relief. Hope little B appreciates it!!

Can't believe those 3 facts... They are all crazy crazy!

Hope you are feeling much improved soon hun.

:huh:

Dr Tal, that's crazy! You poor thing. I'm glad to hear you didn't die on us and your milk is good again!

OP - I don't really consider myself brave for refusing pain relief. I just didn't want to do anything that would harm B. I'd have never been able to forgive myself if I had done something to him just to make myself feel better. Thankfully between the panadol and neurophen (thanks Sal!!) which I am alternating every two hours now I feel pretty good....all things considered. I still can't figure out why the doctors told me it was 'counterindicative' (whatever that really means) to breastfeeding when it says on the packet that it's okay to use. The company wouldn't put something like that one there and risk opeing themselves up to lawsuits if they hadn't fully had approval.

Emma - I was pretty happy to find out I hadn't died to And B is VERY happy that my milk is back to normal. He's back to his old mellow self again which is nice.

AFM - Just sleeping mostly. DH has been watching B a lot for me and I've had a couple friends who gave me a surprise cleaning visit yesterday. Cleaned the whole house for me and did a heap of laundy. Can't tell you how thankful I was to them for that!

Gotta run. B needs a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tal View Post

AFM - Just sleeping mostly. DH has been watching B a lot for me and I've had a couple friends who gave me a surprise cleaning visit yesterday. Cleaned the whole house for me and did a heap of laundy. Can't tell you how thankful I was to them for that!

Gotta run. B needs a change.
    That is such a lovely thing your friends did for you. Glad they are stepping in and helping out - and good on your DH for being able to help too.

Rest up hun.

Just thought I'd pop in while having my midnight snack. Brie and crackers tonight. Usually a bowl of nutri grain but we're out of milk!

Today was awesome, T had 3 or 4 sleeps in his normally sleepless day! I think there were 3 this morning as well as one in the afternoon but I can't remember times and can't think how they would have all fit in. Anyone else having memory problems still? Thought that would finish with the pregnancy!

Anyway, have eaten way too much cheese now so better go back to bed.

How were everyone's weekends? Dr Tal - so good of your friends to come and clean for you.

How is everyone? Can't remember what's going on!

Not much excitement here. DS seems to be doing about four hous over night these days, which is kinda wearing me out. I know it sounds ok but by the time I get to bed i'm only getting 2 or so hrs before he wakes and often being woken after that by DD too.

Just getting a bit tired.

Hope everyone else is going well!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast