Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 16th-30th 2010 #1

Oh geez I just lost a long post. No fair at 4am!!

Most important bit - Connie, get some help, talk to your nurse, have you thought of trying a mother baby unit? They CSM be great. Trust ur gut instinct u think s'thing not right with G.
    Bec - hugs ur doing great.
    Chuckie - big hug 4 u 2.

Us =!scary poosplosion today while out! Eep!

Oops duplicate post. Might as well update it lol. Annika had done quite a spit up in her bassinet and woke herself up... So I'm giving her another feed *sigh* (if she falls asleep I'll take it)!

Connie in answer to your questions, I always TRY to be in the habit of putting my babies down awake. I do think they don't learn to self settle as well otherwise. And my DS is generally a great little sleeper. So saying babies always like to surprise, there's definitely times I've cuddled, walked, rocked, done anything to get them to sleep... But sometimes I was sure this wide awake looking baby would not sleep on his own but then he did!! Depends how desperate you are at the time as to how much chance you give them to try getting to sleep on their own. Annika generally starts grunting, squirming and hiccuping, in which case we try a burp, quick cuddle and down again, or a bassinet rock. Basically we try to calm/distract her then give her the chance to sleep. I'm starting to feel I know when that will or won't work for her. And if she's really worked up I don't persevere with trying the self settle. At about 8 mths my DS'ssleeping patterns worsened, and quite a few ppl said haha finally you have a normal baby!!! I thought no way, and read up again on sleeping habits, changed his routine and got him back to sleeping well. I wasn't going to accept it.

My point for you is that you can accept it, or you can trust your gut and seek more help/solutions. And sone ppl will make u feel silly for doing so, but just ignore them. If it all feels too hard then neither you or baby are happy and IMO it's worth doing something about. I also think babies get into habits like anyone, and poor little George hasn't had the easiest of starts. Some help at somewhere like a mother baby unit, or a sleep consultant might help him learn to sleep a bit better AND to check him out for stuff like reflux. I've known a few ppl go to some of the priv hossie mother baby units out this way and they found them awesome. there's one at Jessie Mac and another at Mitcham priv. Also, we went to an early parenting class at Mitcham priv when DS was about 7 weeks and we learnt so much useful stuff, I actually think that really helped us. I honestly think we probably would have accidentally stuffed up his sleep withou it as he was just going thru a colicky stage, it helped us to see that, ride it out and still stick to some good habits while we could.

I think most ppl looking back on tough times with babies realized they were trying to tough it out more than they should. It's a smart thing to do to get help and enable yourself to really enjoy your baby. I know I wish I'd tried harder to get to a lactation clinic with DS than I did, that's why I did the whole thing this time of engaging one beforehand.

Ok I'll stop soap-boxing now

Chuckie - hugs on the feeling crap. I wasn't gonna say anything on my last post but I had some not so good days lately just feel so hormonal and horrible. I want to cry but almost feel too all over the place to get my head around things. I find getting out to the park or something a BIG help, but only whilst I'm out. I think I just get depressed sitting around at home.

Apes – My mothers group doesn’t start until next month which is a bummer, but there is a mothers group that has started here on BB so im going to check that out next week, just a little shy at meeting people at first though lol.

Buzzie – I might have to ring the hospital, will they still have the information? And also which area of the hossie do I ring?

Connie – im sorry to hear about George, its frustrating when they don’t sleep good during the night. He will get better as time goes on. How is he during the day? As for your questions, Blake will cry if we put him in his bassinet without nursing him to sleep and as for the struggling while trying to burp him, Blake is the same also and I really think he has reflux as he vomits pretty bad off this formula, which I thought was better then the S26 gold. The midwives said after being 8 weeks old, this should settle, but its hard to burp him cause he struggles a lot to.

Bec – I cant remember signing a form for hep B but the immunisation form in his record book is signed saying he got it done. Maybe I did sign forms but really cannot remember at all. I hope you Enjoy your night together. As for the twitches, Blake does this in his sleep to, I have to wrap him tightly so he doesn’t wake himself up. Wow Isaac is tongue tie to, at least your getting it done early. Both our babies, poor things

Chuckie – big hugs babe. I now the feeling of being lonely and teary and it sucks. If you ever feel down jst jump on here and let your emotions out, trust me it helps

Well might have to try a different brand of formula again, just not sure. Blake has been vomiting at least twice a day and its not just a little amount of vomit its pretty much a whole bottle worth. I feel so sorry for him. It doesn’t seem to bother him though, I mean he doesn’t seem to be in pan after vomiting. I just get so sad seeing him vomit so much up. I have put his bottles up to 15mls now, which could be the problem. He demolishs the 100mls though but 150mls seems to much. I don’t get it.

I also have the flu which is annoying. Its hard to look after Blake when all I want to do is curl up in a ball and die lol. My head feels like its going to exploded. Blake must know that mummy is sick and wants to sleep as he has been awake ALL DAY and has been the biggest sook. Argghhhh give me strength.

For some reason I wasn't getting email notifications... blah.

Belfie - I so agree with what you said about trusting your gut and getting help and possibly toughing it out longer than you need to. We are a case in point. We just toughed it out with Hannah, and just thought she was a fussy baby. Well she was, but there is a reason, and it wasn't us going bonkers or being precious.

Connie go seek help sweetie - who cares if they cluck and say oh nothing to worry about first time mum! That's awesome if they do.

Chuckie, Buzzie - I know what you mean, I felt so isolated in the begining of this journey when everyone else in here, except possibly Deana and Blake, were saying just how much they loved being a mum. In all honesty, I was at my wits end, was crying all the time, almost as much as Hannah was. I loved Hannah, but it was so hard. Now, not so much for me. But don't tough it out, if you're worried go seek help or get out and about to make things seem a bit more normal.

AFM - Paed appointment yesterday. Hannah has still not regained her birth weight, and she is a month old. We are on a much more intense routine of comp feeds after BF during the day and BF only at night and I have meds to help with my supply. The paed said her lack of weight gain is really serious but thinks it an issue with my supply rather than anything wrong with Hannah. So all of the fussing and inconsolable crying, inability to settle and constant feeding, she was hungry and I was so stuck on wanting to EBM, that I only comp fed her last week once per day. It wouldn't have really helped. Am still going to try and stick it out with BF if the meds help with my supply, but will see what happens at our review in 2 weeks. You were right Chuckie - remember you told me that?

Belfie - too funny. We had a poo nami of our own when we were out on Monday. Went through 2 of the 3 layers of clothes and was all over Miss H. Luckily we were prepared with all the stuff we needed. Oh and Hannah has twice in the last 24 hours settled on her own without being feed or nursed to sleep since the new regime of comp feeds started. Yay. And this arvo, I thought no way will this bright eyed baby sleep - and with some pats and shushhing and a couple of rocks in the pram - she was out to it and making Happy Hannah sounds. I can't believe how "easy" by comparison the past 24 hours have been. I feel miserable my little baby girl was depending on me and I let her be hungry for so long. But I can't change the past and I am doing something about it now.

Hello to everyone else. I am going to nap! Yay.

Deana - feel better soon. Hannah is just like Blake and George with the struggling when being burped. She struggles when on the BF too and pulls away from the nipple - ouchies for me. She regurgitates more with the formula too, but she's only on 90 mls each feed.

Deanna have you tried Nan HA gold? It's supposed to be good for reflux babies and is hypo allegenic. We are using that one for Hanah's comp feeds but the Paed said it's a matter of how babies react to each formula that is the key. It's just a bugger buying it and then tossing it if it's not the one. The cans are so big and buying the indiv sachets is soooo expensive.

Deana - just ring the midwives at the labour ward. It's law to keep records for 7 yrs.

hi guys, sorry i have been MIA and I havent had time to read everyones posts yet.

I have mastitis -got it last night. My left breast was really sore then I got a real bad headache and fever then my breast went red - like a mild sunburn. So I went to an afterhours doc and now on the antibiotics. Plus Chloe is waking every 2-3 hours through the night and is awake from 7 - 11:30 every morning so I am stuffed! Please tell me this is normal!

OoooH fuzzy OUCH! that's so Painful. Hope it clears soon! Lots of hot showers and expressing. Nothing more painful then trying to keep feeding with that.
    It's definatly normal with her sleeping. Isabella is up 2-3 hours also and starts the day at 6.30am .. She stays awake for a bit and sometimes will have a good morning sleep.. The last few days she's been awake most of the day but one big sleep in the arvo.
    Babies will keep changing with age so I'm sure it wont last..

oh no fuzzy.. I hope it gets better very soon. I was just about to post a VERY similar post myself, to see if anyone knows if this is normal: my right boob is absolutely painful, and has been all day mainly right at the very side near my armpit. Very sore to put pressure on. I also have a headache coming on, and feel a bit like I'm getting the flu, bit sore and feel very warm. I so hope its not mastitis, what do you think? Should I go to th dr or will it just go away? Oh and can you still feed Chloe from both sides?

Also Isaac is the same, waking up every 2-3 hours at night, but lucky I do manage to get two or three hours sleep at 6 or 7am but by evening I am exhausted. His sleep seems to be starting to get more regular now though so I'll just try to have more daytime naps. I've asked midwife and LC abvout it, they both said it was normal at his age to feed so often. Maybe give ABA a call and ask them about it? I haven't used the freecall number yet so I'm not sure what they are like sorry. I hope Chloe gives you some more sleep soon.

Deanna - I've been meaning to ask you about Blakes tongue tie, have you had it fixed yet and if you have did it hurt him? I'm thinking I might put it off for a while as its only small and not affecting his feeding or anything.
    Last edited by bec293; October 21st, 2010 at 06:34 PM.

Bec - do you have a red patch on your breast? that is another tell-tale sign. I would go to the doc and get it checked out. Left untreated mastitis can be really bad and you can end up in hospital with it! Its a nasty nasty bug. Yep I feed from both sides. I feed mostly from the sore breast first to clear it and if she is still hungry - then from the other one. I have to express a bit off the other one when it gets too full.

Speaking of expressing - I got 150 mls out of one breast in 10 mins this morning - STOKED! Probably explains why Chloe has put on 1.4kg in a month (little chubba!)

Chuckie - You have all of us as friends! I know we cant meet for coffee or anything but at least we are here to listen and chat. I hope you are feeling better today.

Connie - does George make retching sounds? A friends baby had reflux and he made the most terrible noises. Chloe only wriggles when I am trying to burp her if she is overtired. When she gets overtired it is really hard to get her to sleep. She very rarely goes down without a bit of a cry or a winge. Most of the time I have to put her down mostly asleep.

Dory - I am sure your paed appt will go well. You sound like you are really getting on top of things now which is fantastic. Yay for happy noises!!

Buzzie - good to know it is normal for Chloe to be up all the time! Would be nice to have a few more 4 or 5 hour stints though

hi everyone else - hope you are getting some sleep at least! And lots of cuddles. Has anyone elses DH dared to utter the sentence 'man I am just so tired, I really need sleep' BAH

Fuzzy - so so normal but if you are worried, make a call or see a middi or dr. The only reason I say that is everyone kept telling me Hannah was "normal" and initially I agreed but after a while I knew something was up. But Hannah was also crying/screaming inconsolably a fair bit and feeding loads and loads day after day. Every baby will do their own thing, but you have a gut feeling about how they are going. Trust your instincts.

Buzzy - have you been shopping again?

Fuzzy - hope the antibiotics clear up that mastitis. Poor blossom.

Deana & Bec - Hannah also has a tongue tie. I am going to ask about it at our next paed appointment. At hossy the paed said it was slight and might resolve itself, but didn't give a time frame. I wonder if it also affects her ability to BF.

Bec - get it treated ASAP - it's an infection. Antibiotics should clear it up quick smart. Nice photo of Isaac too.

Chuckie - how are you going?

Hmm let's see.... I also want to say hello to .....

Connie - how is your brave little man doing? Has that infection resolved?

Apes - how are you?

Kirsten - have you had your appointment yet?

Belife - how are you going?

Catherine - were you really true to your word? have you really gone and never to come back?

Wite - how are you and little Harlow going?

AFM - I still can not beleive how much my life has turned around since Hannah is actually getting enough nourishment. yay. I am so completely besotted with my pimply little girl.

Dory - I could have told you that you're not bonkers or precious! I'm really pleased you've got some answers, but sorry that you've had to go through such a hard time and poor little Hannah Bear too. So saying, at least you can now give her comp feeds. The hardest thing about being a parent is the learning... cos it's so easy for it to leave you feeling miserable, and you SO shouldn't beat yourself up. I think I said earlier how my hubby reckons it's a vertical learning curve lol. GL with the meds to increase supply, have you tried raspberry leaf tea or tablets? I just take the tablets as I have some left from PG, and I've always found they seem to increase my supply after taking them for a few days. They helped more than fenugreek did which is the other herbal type remedy ppl tend to suggest. Given you're on meds, I dunno if these would help extra to that... but thought I'd suggest it.

Fuzzy -oooh you poor thing, sending big hugs & e-hot chocolate. Mastitis is no fun at all . As for your DH aaah... my DH has been informed in no uncertain terms that as long as I am doing night feeds he is NEVER EVER allowed to complain about his sleep or feeling tired. Not never ever. If he has had the luxury of 7 or 8 uninterrupted hours in bed, then that's it. So he rolled his eyes, commented that he remembered this from last time but has been dutifully toeing the line. I think he knows i'd kill him. So saying, he does get up if DS rouses (that's the deal - one child each lol)... and once he was commenting that he has more peaks & troughs in getting up... and i'm like... how can you peak over my "takes an hour to feed" in the middle of the night? even if you're up twice, it's only 10 or so minutes max!

Bec - feed from that side as much as possible, heat on it prior to feed, cold compress afterwards. Massage it as much as possible (even while feeding) and you can also try massaging in a hot shower (with the water on the sore spot). I've been lucky enough never to get mastitis, but I've always worked on sore spots like crazy and I think that helped me to avoid it. And yes, go see the doc. better safe than sorry. Re the tongue tie, why do they want to fix it if it's not causing a trouble? My Xander had a very small one but it didn't impact his feeding. I also have one (never knew until the LC was describing it by curling up her tongue and she exclaimed on seeing mine!!). I always thought they didn't snip it unless it's impacting feeding?

Re burping, my goodness Annika seems to take yonks to burp too, I'm sure i'd forgotten it can take so long.And she squirms & grunts & writhes - poor little thing. Well after a hell day yesterday, started at 3am, and really hadn't got much better by midnight (I was a total zombie!). So today we decided to be more proactive using Infacol or Infant's Friend, and omg it has made SUCH a difference (and xander was at daycare so I got some sleep!!!!). Anyway, she is now sleeping sooo much better, less writhing, less grunting... just a happier child. And this afternoon she actually woke and was just happy and awake for a bit. I assumed she'd want a feed, and she just lay there next to my boob looking around quite calmly! So I put her in the bouncer for a bit (then had to move it after Xander was giving her bounces that were off the richter scale!) but it was so nice just having a calm awake baby. Hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel for all of us as these babies come out of the colicky stages and feeding/digestion settles down!! And in the meantime, I love Infacol/Infant's Friend!

EDIT: just saw Dory's post... and lol I'm still laughing re you being besotted with your pimply little girl! By the way, how are the cats coping with the new arrival?

Also, is anyone else using all the stupid nicknames in the world? There was this stupid youtube video years ago about "beware ze milky pirate"... so cos Annika comes up from a feed with her face covered in milk... she's now the milky pirate... or the windy pirate, or the poopy pirate. Or Poopy Princess. Or Hairy Fairy (that's cos of the ear hair!). You'd think I would have called my son a pirate not my daughter huh.

Hi ladies,

Belfie - thanks very much for your sentiments - Ha ha - I can't wait for DH to see a REAL poosplosion - he thinks a little leak out the side is a "blow-out" and gets very excited about it.

Buzzie - thanks I am generally over this town but had a really bad day the other day - was feeling a LOT better the very next day though. I totally hear you on the bad days thing - bloody hormones! I do get out everyday (I have to to get the post) and have also been going for long(ish) walks in the evening when it is a bit cooler.

deana - the flu that totally sucks! it's hard enough to take care of newborn without the flu as well - i hope you feel better soon. sounds like working out how much formula to give is a bit of an art - i have heard there are special thick formulas availible for reflux bubs - maybe he needs something like that?

Dory - I am soo pleased you are now enjoying a new bub thanks to the feeding regime - I don't know how you managed for soo long - Pearl was a nightmare in hossie for the 4 nights she was hungry - I am just surprised they didn't pick up HB's issue sooner - good on you for getting her what she needed by asking until you found a solution - you are the best possible mum for her.

Fuzzy - sounds sore! hopefully the ab will kick in soon.

AFM - well it was just the one crap day here - kept crying for no real reason. It was all triggered last week when some ladies from town here were on their way to lunch and I was with them and they didn't ask me to join them - it was a bit rude of them but it just reminded me of all the people in this town who are basically not very friendly to new people anyway all better here now. Today was a much better day. Went to the baby massage class which is the mum's group (there are supposed to be 4 people but it seems only about 2 (including me) turn up each week) and afterwards the two of us and the nurse that runs the classes went out to lunch and I think I have made at least one possible good mate out of it so that is a real improvement. Pearl is still doing well - she is sleeping most nights now with just one feed in between about 11pm and 6am so that is great but in the evenings lately she has been a bit unsettled and I find myself giving her a few extra feeds - last night it felt like she feed all the time from 9pm-11pm. she still sleeps a lot during the day - she is only awake about 1-1.5hr at a time and she is growing really well - 3.95kg today - up from 3.35kg 2 weeks ago.

Also forgot to mention am on daktarin in the hope that the pain in between feeds keeping me awake at night is thrush and can be treated (I was under the impresssion it was severe let down pain but am hoping it is thrush and I can make it go away).

And I ordered a close carrier yesterday - we can hit the beach again with Lois(the dog) and Pearl if we have one.
    Last edited by Chuckie; October 21st, 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Dory – I might give Nan gold a try next as im about to finish this can of nuture gold. Thanks

Buzzie – ill do that right now, thanks for reminding me lol

Sorry if I missed a lot im in a rush to feed this boy and go to the docs.

Ok now I can catch up on everyones updates lol

Fuzzy – Ouch for your breasts, poor thing. Its normal for your bubbas sleeping patterns at the moment, Blake doesn’t sleep at all during the day and if he does go down its only for 20 mins. It drives me crazy.

As for DP yes he has said that sentence saying how tired he is. I feel like punching him everytime he says that. We have been fighting everyday, cause im so tired and I just feel like I don’t get any help what so ever. Yes he changes his nappy maybe once a day, but I have bath him, Feed him, Wake up to him at night and change him then get out of bed like a zombie to warm up a bottle and feed him, not to mention try to keep my eyes opened all day as Blake doesn’t sleep during the day and DP complains that he is tired and how he has to work. Yes I understand he has to work but at least his job is a bloody 8 hour job, where he can come home and put his feet up, mine is a 24 hour job. There is no leaving my job. He should count himself bloody lucky that he goes to work just to get away from it. I would kill to trade positions with him for a day and see how he copes. That’s right he wouldn’t cope. GRRRRRRRRRR so angry. Im sick of fighting with him to help me out. He gets angry at me for being so cranky all the time. Not only do I have a baby to look after 24/7, but he cant even feed the dog or wash the bottles and stick them in the steriliser for me, or cook dinner or do a load of washing. I have to do everything. Sorry ill stop now, just not a happy chappy latterly. Just makes me think I maze well be a single mum with everything I do. It will save me all these fights.

Bec – I would recommend getting it done asap, as Isaac gets older the painful it will be. Blake didn’t feel it as the nerves reacted yet, he cried but the only reason he cried was cause the midwife had to hold his head still. As soon as he was given back to me and I put him straight on the boob he was fine.

Dory – When you breast feed, is Hannah lacthing properly? Does her jaw click when she sucks? What about dribbling? These are the 3 major concerns with a bad tounge tie baby. Blake had all this and needed to be done. Like I said to bec though, If its bad enough make sure you get it done sooner rather then later. Plus Hannah wont even know its done. Cant believe how common this is as Blake and also my sisters little one Ashley had it as well.

Chuckie – Awe, I know that feeling of crying all the time. Maybe talk to someone about it. Its always good to get help especially if your getting depression. There is nothing worse. Big hugs

Took Blake to see the nurse this morning and he is now weighing 4.36kgs (over 250grams in a week) and 56 cms. I asked her about the vomiting after every bottle and she said I need to stretch out the feeds to every 3 hours as feeding him every hour and a half of 100mls is to much for him. Its hard when he wants a feed though and I cant make him wait another hour and a half on top of that. I tried to stretch it out today and got it 2 and half hours with 150mls but he only drank 100 mls and I have wasted so much formula in the past week trying to make him drink 150 mls. I just don’t know what to do.

just quickly as I have a rotten headache and need to lay down for a while, thanks everyone I went to the dr and yes i do have mastitis, now on antibiotics which will hopefully make me feel normal again soon. Its so bad feeling crappy when I can't get more than 2 hours sleep at a time

re the tongue tie, the dr today said I probably don't need to worry about it as its only small and not affecting feeding so that's good.

Bec - good news about getting antibiotics and hope you'll feel better soon and good news about Isaacs tongue tie.

Deanna - oh blossom... is there anyone else who can help out? I know exactly how you feel about everything being on you and feeling like you don't get any help, although it seems DP could help out a bit more based on what you say. You can't keep going on like this, else you'll fall in a heap. Are you crying lots? Always a sign for me I am at the end of my tether. Even if someone could mind Blake while you got some sleep?

I can't give you advice about amount of formula... sorry. But I do know how hard it is to have a crying hungry baby. Seems you just can't win right now - try to bump him up to 150ml and he either doesn't take it or vomits, give him less and he's hungry and you get less sleep. This is not based on any knowledge whatsoever, but can you gradually increase the amount you offer and gradually increase the time between feeds? Sort of sneak up on it rather than one big move? I know it's hard in terms of mixing formula, but even though it feels like a waste it's OK to discard what he doesn't drink ( just think of it as being off food). God I so want to get a steriliser - after only 4 days of having bottle feeds during the day the whole washing and boiling drives me insane.

Hannah does lick sometimes, and sometimes dribbles but not the other one. The Paed did say it was mild and might self rectify... but you know how it is... a new mum worries about everything.

Chuckie - oh blossom. Big hugs. I agree with Deana, talk to someone, even if you have to call a helpline in the middle of the night. Don't do this alone. I tried talking to family and it just didn't help. I think they thought I was just being precious and making up how hard it was for me, as most of them didn't spend all day sat in a chair feeding and nursing and praying their child would sleep, and or stop crying. I only called people in those brief moments of quiet. But I agree - getting out really helped, as did getting some sleep when I could.

I am not sure when the problem with my supply developed. She was feeding well at hossy and only had one unsettled night ( a full 6 hours of crying mind you) which the middies put down to wind ( but I think back and wonder if that was the start of it all). I think I had a tummy bug when I got home from hossy - for at least a week and a bit I felt exceptionally tired, had the squirts and a bit nauseated and had absolutely no appetite whatsoever. I had to force food down. I think that might have been when the real trouble started but it was probably going to happen anyway. I just thought they way I felt was from being a new mum, nervous and sleep deprived. Oh and thanks for calling Hannah, Hannah Bear!

Belfie - oh sweet little Annika, milky pirate indeed. I am a big fan of pet names although Hannah Bear/Baby Bear has stuck and is the favourite. Of course there are others as the occasion demands. Hope you had a better day today - those are the sorts of days I had all the time with HB, so I know how you feel. Glad infacol worked. I got some but HB doesn't seem to need it for now and most times lets a ripper of a burp out, or farts like a trouper in her sleep. Fingers crossed.

Hope everyone else is doing ok. The lack of posting says that you're all really busy being Mum. Take care of yourselves. Thinking of you and your little ones. Can't you tell I am in a much better place these days? It's good to have my mojo back. DH and I still have a snipe at each other when we are tired but that's ok... some of them can even be funny.... afterwards.
    I tried the hand pump expresser again today - at least I didn't make my nipple sore this time - but less than 10 mls - after 15 mins. Blimey! I read with jealousy whoever got 150mls!

Also today I am eagerly awaiting a text from some friends who were being induced with their IVF twin girls today. And they were trying for vaginal births. I just hope things work out, I have been really anxious for them. i even snuck up to the hossy today and hoped I might see them in the corridor ...walking walking walking... but no.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast