Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 16th-30th 2010 #1

Hi mums and bubbas,

Bec, how awful you have mastitis. I've heard it sux Hope the antibiotics kick in soon.

Deana, Is there any reason your feeding Blake every 1.5 hours? Im feeding Isla (with S26) every 4 hours @ 180mls. She usually doesn't take the whole lot and leaves about 30mls or more but she doesn't seem to vomit that much. She is a pain to burp most times though. Sounds like thats why Blake was vomiting that much. Ah yes bloody Men! They think they have it soooo hard and we sit around at home all day doing nothing... ****es me off too hun. *hugs*

Chuckie, that's good you have made a friend out of mothers group. How rude and immature it was of those ladies! grrrrrr

Belfie, good to hear Annika is alot better after some Infacol. I used it with Bodie and I remember it did make a huge difference. Haven't had to use it with Isla but I do agree it's very hard to burp her sometimes. Hahaha love the nicknames! I seem to be calling Isla 'missy' or 'missy-moo' alot lol. It's funny how we come out with these silly names... I hardly even call her by her actual name!

Fuzzy, sorry to hear you have mastitis aswell Must feel awful especially when waking through the night.

Connie, how is your little champ going?

Hi Dory, Buzzie & everyone else ive missed.

We are going good here, ive come down with a cold that I caught from DS so not feeling the best. Isla seems to be sleeping alot during the day and the past few nights she's decided to stay awake after her 3am feed for ages. We've had some good nights where she's slept for 5 or 6 hours straight so that has been great.
    Last weekend went to a wedding up north and my parents were up there so they stayed with us to mind the kids whilst DH & I went to the wedding for the night so that was nice. But mind you it felt pretty weird being without Isla.
    Mothers group was good the other day, there were about 15 girls all up with there bubs so hoping to meet some new friends from around the area. We just had a nurse talk about most aspects of newborns ie, feeding, sleeping etc and then watched a video.

xo

Apes - good to hear that Isla is going well, but not so much about your cold. Poor blossom. You are so brave being away from Isla. I ran some errands yesterday alone and I agree it felt way weird being without Hannah. Hope you had a nice time at the wedding anyway. I am keen for mother's group but mine doesn't start til November and I have not found another one yet but DH has been home with me, so I haven't felt like I needed it. I couldn't have coped either before.

Beflie - cats have been great with Hannah. They even used to keep me company on my long all night vigils... that helped me stay a little sane... as at least I didn't feel so alone. Sometimes they run when she cries, but most of the time they are not too interested in her.

Hi Mummies!! I haven't forgotten about you all, I've just been a little slack checking in. We only have one night feed now and it's a really quick one so I don't wake up enough to play around on my phone anymore.

Sounds like lots of you are still finding your feet and that's Ok. It's not like that forever. I must have really easy babies... I don't remember any really difficult times. I actually thought the newborn period was the easiest time of parent hood - all they do is sleep, eat and poo!! But every baby is different.

Connie, I'm sorry to hear about George's infection. Poor little chap! I did see one of your questions. Mostly my babies don't cry when I put them down and I put them down awake but just about to fall asleep. There are times when they will cry when I put then down and in those instances (full on crying, not little whinges) I don't force it. I will help bub to sleep. Last thing I want to do is turn the cot or sleep into a negative experience. That's just us though. I do find that if they do start to try there us usually a problem, for us if everything else is taken care of it's usually wind. Once I get the wind up, they'll go down to sleep without an issue.

Fuzzy, hope that coccyx is getting better and remember to keep draining that breast. Chloe can tell there is a blockage and apparently it makes then want to feed constantly which is natures way of getting rid of that blockage.

Buzzie, poor little Isabella with that rash! We've never really had nappy rash with any of our girls, but I've read that true nappy rash is thrush! Yet in another book I read thrush in children before puberty is super rare. Weird.

Congrats again to Bec and Wite! Those hydrodiscs are the BEST!!

Dory, sorry to hear about Hannah's weight issue. I have a friend who had the same issue with her third child. At three months her baby was still in 0000! Her paed prescribed motilium and my friend ate crap loads of lac cookies and her daughter has been putting on 300+ grams a week since!

Deana, I'm not expert on formula either, but an hour and a half seems alot. I actually thought ff babies were meant to go longer between feeds than breast babies! I wouldn't even breastfeed my baby every hour and a half... Maybe with the odd exception. But if that's what you've been told to do...

Hi to everyone else!!

AFU - we are really well! Ava has been having 1 feed in the 12 hours over night for the last few weeks now. Except last week the day we did the drive for my friends engagement I let her continue to sleep and wake herself for feeds instead of waking her for feeds three hourly. I paid for it that night she woke every two hours. Man, did I feel sorry for myself! Thankfully that's been our only difficult time so far. Last Monday Ava was weighed again and she had put on 2.4kgs since birth. It's pretty good for a exclusively breastfed baby, but not in comparison to my first daughter! Ava is quite a bit bigger than when she was born. I can really see it. She's in quite a few 000 now! She smiles now when spoken to, but still only having two short awake periods during the day. Love my sweet little pie.
    My biggest beautiful princess will be 3 on Sunday - so I've stayed up wrapping presents!! She's so excited... I love seeing her so excited. Such an awesome thing being a Mummy. Brooklyn is having a word explosion too at the moment! All very exciting. Yesterday she was really excited jumping up and down pointing out 'puppies!!! Puppies!! Ruff ruff!!' god, she is such a sweetheart - constantly make me laugh... They all do. It's amazing the rate they learn things, it really is. Feel so blessed with my three gorgeous girls.

Well I better hide these presents and get myself off to bed. Thinking of you all. X

eta- Chuckie, forgot to mention that blankets are fine as long as bub is right down the end of the cot so they can't wriggle under the blankets and the blankets just have to be tucked in under the mattress so they can't move and cover the face. We might not get as cold as you, but our cold nights usually a warm AIO suit (plus singlet and socks if it's super cold), flanelette wrap to swaddle and then a blanket over the top is sufficient. They will let you know if they are cold or too hot.
    Last edited by CatherineL; October 22nd, 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Howdy everyone! I am still here reading how everyone is going, but don't seem to find the time to post anything myself!

Deana- I lost it yesterday with DH as well. Feel totally taken for granted and like a single parent! Have cleared the air and we have decided to wean Sam so I will now have more hours in my day in which I can do housework! (Hmmm, not so sure it is a good thing, but will remove a lot of stress!)

Apes- we had the same problem with Sam the other week. We went for a long drive out to the dam to see the water flowing through the gates (sad I know, but so is the other half of Brisbane which was there!) Sam slept the whole time which was a good thing at the time, but that night, he thought it was party time. Was not fun at 11:30 begging him to go to sleep!

AFM- we had our 6 week check up with the Paed on Wednesday. Sam is 4.11kg and is catching up! The paed thought his double chin was cute! He is getting into a bit more of a routine now with waking up in the morning and being awake for a couple of hours and then going back down for a big sleep. He has had some really gugrly noises coming from his bowels and will sometimes scream in pain. Tried infants friend which didn't help, but found a nice warm bath did! I asked the paed and she said that between 6-8 weeks their guts get a bit noisy and windy and that they grow out of it pretty quickly. Hope so. Hate hearing my little guy in pain.
    We are also going to wean him as well. He is on EBM atm and the time I am losing during the day with expressing is killing me! And having to keep an eye on the clock to make sure I am home within 6 hours is limiting my life, so will slowly space out the expressing so my body starts to decrease supply. Will still take a couple of weeks, but slow is good. Less chance of mastitis! Oh yeah, and sorry to all of you who have it. I had a blocked duct with DD and it was awful! My SIL had such a badly blocked duct with her first baby that it became an abcess and she had to have surgery to get it cleaned out. Took weeks to heal and she would get BM leak out of the wound! (ewwww) She perservered with the BF though and managed to continue until he was about 14 months! Her 2nd baby who is 10 weeks older than Sam has reflux. She took him to the paed last week who told her to start him on solids and he was hungry! She was feeding him every 3 hours and it was killing her! So at almost 4 months she is starting him on farex. I started DD at about the same stage as she was hungry all the time and it didn't do her any harm!
    I have my first appointment with the psychologist on Tuesday to try and get on top of this PND. Really hoping she can help me deal with some of the head stuff going on. It doesn't help that when Sam was a week old my dad got diagnosed with cancer (melanoma) and is now facing major surgery and radiation therapy to treat it. My mum is barely holidng it together and she is usually the person I would go for to vern and unload and I don't feel right doing that, so hopefully she can listen to my [email protected]!
    Finally we have some nice weather here, so when DH gets home from swimming with the older kids, we might clean out the vege garden ready to plant for summer! I am looking forward to having my body back and losing all of this weight I put on and getting into some nice clothes! I am sick of everything being tight! I also have a gastric band which I can finally get some fill in and limit my food (was worried about doing it in case it affected my milk!)

OK, off to get dressed and play outside!
    Kirsten

Dory, that's great your DH is still around helping you out with Hannah. My DH only had 2 weeks off work so I look forward to weekends when he is home.

Catherine, I forgot how fast newborns grow out of their 5 & 4 zero clothes. Isla is fitting into 3 zero clothes too. Happy Birthday to Rochelle! My big boy will be 3 on 27th December so not far off. Goes soooo quick doesn't it. So jealous on Ava's 1 feed a night!

Kirsten, I had no idea you have PND, so sorry to hear that hun. Did it just start with Sam or have you had it before? *hugs to you* Come in here and vent whenever your feeling down, we are all here to listen.

Had the worst night ever last night with Isla... swear she was awake every hour! Awake then sleep, awake then sleep. I did finally realise she did have a dirty nappy at 3am so I felt like bad mother of the year. Her poo's aren't very smelly so that's how I must of missed it.
    DH & I are stuffed today! Nanna nap this afternoon hopefully.

ok now for a catch up!

fuzzy - wow that's an awesome amount to express in 10 minutes! well done

Belfie - haha love your silly nicknames The one I've been using is sweetie pie, and I have no idea why! I better start using Isaac's real name more often soon, I don't think he'll appreciate being called sweetie pie when he's older!

Chuckie - ooh I'm jealous about you being able to hit the beach soon! I wish I lived closer to the coast and not hours away. And I kind of know how you feel about the small town thing, I'm yet to make any friends here. Mums group is starting as soon as there are enough new mums to fill classes so I'm hoping that will help things along a bit. I miss my friends so much at the moment.

Dory - its great to hear Hannah is feeding better now, and I agree don't beat yourself up about everything you've been through. I admire you for being so strong with continuing the breastfeeding, and for wanting to do the best for Hannah.

Deana - hoping your DP starts to pull his weight soon. Was it you who asked about Blake falling asleep with a feed? Isaac almost always falls asleep feeding, and then we cuddle for a while before I put him down to sleep either in his bassinet-pram or on the floor, (or like now, on my lap) and always in the lounge room close to where I am so that I can read his cues before he cries, and either change/burp/feed/cuddle him when he starts to stir. he sleeps through all the normal household noises.. I don't make the room dark or anything either, just everything as it normally is. There are people who say doing this 'creates a rod for your back', but there's a lot of lovely articles on 'gentle/attachment parenting' here on BB to have a read of that proves the long-term benefits of closeness, so when someone criticises the way I choose to do things I just try not to get offended by it. That said though, anything that works for you can't be 'wrong'. Just do what you find works with Blake. Personally I don't find it a problem for Isaac to fall asleep before he is put down, and falling asleep at a feed seems to suit him.. He's starting to get himself into a feed/sleep/awake pattern now.

Apes - I hope your cold clears up soon, how annoying

Kirsten - so sorry to hear you have PND, i really hope the psychologist session helps, and you can always rant away in here too

ok better go and wash some more nappies.. yes I am clearly mental, using terry flat nappies with flannelette liners. Just because I don't have enough to do already haha
    Last edited by bec293; October 23rd, 2010 at 11:21 AM.

just a quick one as I'm trying to do more bl**dy bookkeeping. Annika has been super-colicky, my good friends Infacol & Infant's Friend seem to have stopped doing their magic and so we've got desperate & did a heap of googling, and I'm going to try modifying my diet to see if that helps. There's heaps of changes that apparently can help, particularly going off dairy & nuts (DS is allergic so I don't eat many anyway).... plus caffeine, spicy foods, gas-producing foods (broccoli etc). So I've started today, it's not too bad cos my DH can't eat dairy anyway - so there's soymilk here anyway. But, geez it better do us both good, cos I've got a killer headache! Guess it's caffeine withdrawal. Don't know if i will actually survive without caffeine & chocolate!!! Wish me luck!!! But she's just so uncomfortable, squirmy, grunty, unhappy - I want to do everything I can. DS had a bit of colic but I don't remember it being this bad poor windy little pirate princess.

Two other things - my heart nearly broke yesterday morning when my son was crying at the baby gate for cuddles... (I was changing Annika at the time) this is when I realised that she's being so windy & unsettled that he's really not getting enough attention. And secondly, took him to the playground, and oooooh he can do SO much more now. He drank water from my pump bottle (dopey mummy forgot his water) and climbed right up high on the equipment with total ease. All that time in my PG when i couldn't walk much and my mum took him to the playground (so I haven't been to the playground with him in about 4-5 months!!!!). I felt so sad realising how much I missed, but equally made me glad I won't have more. I don't want to miss that much of his development again (nor Annika's either).

phew, finally getting the chance to pop in and say hi. I've been reading everything, just haven't had much of a chance to update/reply.

Can't remember who said what so I'll do a general reply.

MCN's - we're using Baby Beehinds Magic-Alls AIO's with some flushable liners. LOVING them. The liners make the poo-nami's and poo-splosions so easy to deal with - you just flush most of the mess then rinse the nappy (that said, she did one the other day while I was changing her - I got poo-nami splash-back on my lips, totally grossed me out, but I remembered what someone said about it being easier to clean yourself than carpet so I took it). I'm doing a load of nappies every 2nd day.

Nicknames - lol we've got so many!! poppet, squeaky, snuffleufagus, boobie monster, princess... the list goes on!

PND - I really hope things look up for you ladies soon! I had shocking depression before I met DH (went through 2 types of meds at varying strengths before we found something that worked) so I can empathise with how all over the place you'd be feeling. Being sleep-deprived wouldn't be helping either - just remember, the housework can wait! Cat-nap when you can.

George - poor li'l guy! He's had such a rough start to life. Hopefully he won't have any probs after this, the little trooper. Hope you're feeling better too Connie!

mastitis - all I can say is ouch and I hope the anti-biotics help you!

Hi to everyone!

AFU - Had a bit of a shocking week here - full of grizzles, not settling, crying for the sake of hearing her own voice, feeding being unpredictable (anywhere from 2 hourly to 4 hourly in one day!) and all of that wonderful not sleeping. Had some horrid attachment issues that ended in cracked, bleeding nipples, toe-curling pain and me in tears. Couple of days on the shield and using Lansinoh after every feed and we're good as gold.

That said, things are settling down now. We're starting to get smiles!! I caved and got Lottie a couple of dummies - having a bub that wants to comfort suck for over an hour when you have sore nips is no fun! We've moved out of 00000 and into 0000. 60g shy of 4kg atm. We've also discovered that Lottie is a lot calmer and easier to settle when there is music on. Doesn't matter what it is.

well, that's my long update! Hope everything is starting to settle into some kind of pattern for you all! Lots of hugs for all!

eta - quick question, is anyone else still got blood loss? I've had what I'd call a really light period since she was born. How long should it last for? when does it stop? should I be worried that it's still going??
    Last edited by PanthaLily; October 23rd, 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Just quickly Pantha- might want to keep an eye on the blood loss. I was still bleeding at my 6 week check up so the Ob did a scan and found a piece of placenta half the size of his little finger nail left behind. Had to do a D&C to get rid of it. It wasn't a lot of blood, but it was bright red which meant fresh bleeding. Good luck!

Pantha - the blood loss is normal. It can last 6 weeks c/sect usually finish earlier as they an suck some out in the mean time. I have very light bleeding still.
    With DS I had it for 8 weeks after my c/sect but was told for it to be that long I prob had an infection and was on antibiotics.
    They will ask u about it at ur 6week check up.

Hi everyone sorry just came on to read everything will post later when I'm on my computer.

- Kirsten we posted at the same time.

Soooo slack at posting here sorry girls, DP is still off work so I haven't been sitting online much, I been reading but just haven't had the proper time to sit & type because everytime I do, DP comes and talks to me & I lose concentration!

Harlow is going great ..She is sleeping really well, Last night she slept for almost 8 hours..I don't know if I should wake her up for a middle of the night feed or let her sleep through..She seems happy to sleep that long & she put on 120grams this week??
    I cannot believe how much they change in their looks almost overnight, she has lost all her babyfat face & is starting to look more girly now, It is still so wierd having a babygirl after having a son and I am still getting used to putting her in pink..!

Hope everyone is well, no personals from me tonight sorry, just looked at the time & it is way past my bedtime!!

Pantha, I just had a look at the Baby Beehinds, very cute nappies! How many did you have to buy to be able to do a load every second day? Do you use any disposables or flats at all? I'm using terry flats with flanelette liners (cut from an old sheet), but unfortunately I have some disposables my mum bought, and they are far too tempting to use at night so I've been cheating a bit. The all in ones look like they'd be as easy to use as disposables, do you find they stay dry after wees? I might get 4 or 5 just for night time and for going out to start with.

Bec, I got a bulk pack of 26. Yes it cost me over $500 but they'll have paid for themselves in 6 months at this rate! I've got stacks of flats to use... but I haven't yet (I use them as burping cloths or as change mats!)That reminds me, you can get covers for flats from BBH too!

Our MCN's came with boosters, so we pop on a fresh nappy with a booster after her 9/10pm feed and usually don't have to change her 'til her 5/6am feed. (Unless it's a poo-splosion or she wets through - which she's done once). We use them full-time.

I do have some disposables, but don't really use them. That said, we're going away for 5 days at the end of November and I'm thinking of using Disposables then because I don't want to be lugging laundry powder on a plane!

We dry pail too. So we just rinse them off and pop them in an empty bucket. They actually recommend you DON'T use Napisan or any bleach on them as that would shorten the life of the nappy - sun bleaching is all they need.

Honestly, I love them!! And on hot days (like today was) she looks so damn adorable in a spunky coloured cloth nappy and a singlet - it almost feels like a crime to cover them up with clothes LOL

Good on you girls for using the cloth nappies! Dont know how you find the time/motivation.

Hi Catherine - glad to see you still lurcking and popping in to make me feel completely jealous of your brilliant little sleeper - LOL! No seriously, I love to hear your advice. Chloe is feeding more at the moment so perhaps clearing the blocked duct!

Sounds like most of us have gurgly, windy babies at the moment. Apparently normal for this stage. Gees Chloe is soooo noisy overnight- retching noises no matter how long I wind her for! And she has definately found her lungs. She never cried up until a few days ago and since then, well, she has kept us on our toes thats for sure. Not sleeping the best either. We put her to sleep at 8pm then she is up at 10, 1, 4 then 6 and stays awake.. Most nights! Occasionally she wakes even once more than this. So pretty tired. IS THIS NORMAL??! I make sure she is awake too - i.e. I ignore all the little noises and only pick her up once she starts to cry. She is always really hungry too. Maybe its a growth spurt..i dont know.

Blood loss - yep I am still getting a bit everyday. Really light (i am just using the microliner thingys) but it is a bright red looking blood. Hope that it is normal!

Bec – That’s good if bub doesn’t need to get his tongue tie cut. Lucky thing

Dory – Nope I don’t have anyone that can help or look after Blake, as everyone works or my sister has 2 kids and the youngest one which is 3 months old, is going through a bad time. So Hannah’s tongue tie isn’t bad either? That’s a good thing.

Apes – I was feeding Blake every 1.5 – 2 hours cause he always screamed like he wanted food and every bottle I gave him, he drank the whole thing. I have now topped up his bottles to 150mls and feeding every 3 hours, but he still only drinks 100 mls. Its hard to get him to drink the whole 150 mls.
    Your mothers group sounds good, I hope mine is like that as well. I hope your cold clears up soon.

Kirsten – I sorry to hear about your PND, if you ever need to talk, just PM me. I saw my sister go through PND with both babies and I thought I was heading that way with Blake and there is nothing worse. I also had depression before I feel pregnant. It totally sucks, but always remember to talk to someone or even write everything down in a book, just get it off your chest and don’t let anything build up inside. If I could reach through the computer to give you big hugs, I would.

Pantha – I was getting the light spotting up until about a week ago. Some women do bleed longer then usual, so don’t stress to much.

I just noticed that my ticker is out. I tried to change it but it wont change hmmm strange. Blake is 1 month, 1 week and 4 days old. Its 2 days behind

fuzzy - Isaac is feeding heaps in the past few days too, I think you're right about it being because of the blocked duct. He just seems to want to feed constantly sometimes, I feel like I've hardly moved from the couch at all. So lucky mum just popped in, she rocked Isaac to sleep, watered my vegies and made me a salad while I had a shower and a break from feeding. As soon as she left though Isaac woke up for yet another feed! I don't think he can really be that hungry, he's getting lots of milk though, it dribbles out everywhere when he's done. Very tempted to get a dummy...

re blood loss, mine is very light but has also just turned a bright pinkish/red colour.

Pantha - your mcn's sound so cute! I agree its a big investment to start with but sooo much cheaper in the long run compared to disposables. I found a BBH rep here in Renmark on facebook! So excited, I can't wait to get some. I'll just start with them part time though and keep using the flats which I'm liking more and more, even though they are a bit of an effort with soaking & washing. I like that Isaacs bits are nice and comfy against natural soft cotton. The only thing though, it means he doesn't fit into his 0000 clothes now because they make his little bum so big!

Belfie - poor you with the bookkeeping. I used to do that for my XH, and couldn't imagine even thinking about it now. Hopefully its not something you have to do every day.

Quick random stupid question for you girls.. I filled out all my family assistance paperwork and send it off when Harlow was born, checked my payments yesterday and noticed my regular family benefit money was in there aswell as "A one time payment of BBY$407.23".

Now, I assume this is payment #1 of baby bonus since I divided by 13 and got that amount anyway..but I'm cuirious why it says "one off"? does anyone know why or does it say that with each payment??

I guess I'm more confused because it didn't go in with my regular payments, It went in a day after aswell as arrears for the past 2 weeks of Harlows life (In with my regular payment for Jett)..and to confuse you girls even more..It shows my NEXT fortnightly payemnt as just my regular payments for Jett & harlow combined, but NO baby bonus...BUT..I assume the following day after I get paid it would show and pay me the second Baby Bonus installment since they gave it a day AFTER my pay this week? right? have I confused you all?? Maybe one of you second time Mummys who already get FTB A& B can shed some light on this for me or something?? Google fails me.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast