Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 1st-15th 2010 #1

oh wow! that would be so amazing! i have to admit that i am so jealous of my friend that is a midwife..what a job!

my PhD is in International Perception Management (fancy way of saying propaganda ). i look at the use of it during times of crisis and how this fits within a model of liberal democracy...man, i need to submit it lol.
    my plan is to get into international relations of some kind. have been working it towards a diplomacy kind of career. we'll see how that pans out...applying for work this month

MamaS YAY a midwife that will be fantastic! I love babies! and little kids they have a way of making your heart smile Over the last couple of years I've thought about doing something with little kids but I can't imagine that I really will.

Cass I always think that what you are studying sounds so interesting. I'm a big believer in the liberal propaganda saga so would love to see what your research has shown/proven. And thanks for your encouraging words

AFM DS is good, sleeping more, last couple of nights we've had a 4 and a 4.5 hr stretch and some 3 and 3.5hr stretches so things are looking up. Oh and my hair is also getting better! I tried moogoo and it's like magic

oh we like sleep yes we do!!

i think i need moogoo. i went to the hairdresser the other day (i know right?! first time in like 3 years...) and she gave me a frikken' 'mum' haircut. so i need some magic

not much to report today. had a nice day though; we were meant to have a picnic with friends that live on the yarra river here in melbourne, but we turn up and their whole property at the back is a big massive river so we had a picnic inside then got the gumboots on and tramped around watching the river zoom past. man, flood water can move quick!

Hi ladies,
    sorry to have been quiet, I have been away I had a couple of appointments in the city so made a journey of it and had a few - very hectic - days away. And then it was SO HOT that I didn't even bother with the computer (internet plays up in the heat). Yay for the cool change!

thanks also for your reassurance after my awful day

HPL - how is the new job going?
    Can I ask a question about expressing? How much milk do you need to express for a (8hour) day. I have NO IDEA how much DD drinks - two boobs LOL whatever that is?

hi mamaspice! nice to hear from you! I hope you work give you a HUGE redundancy payout to make up for being "bastardos"!

Cherished - I had heard that about the banana too, but had forgotten all about it, so thanks for the reminder
    I hope you are feeling better hon. Here's my thoughts - We too aren't as "close" as when pg, but I think it's because sometimes, the antipation is so much more exciting than the reality. We imagine how perfect it will be, and then get a bit disappointed by the reality. Not that I mean that I or you or any of us are disappointed by our reality, but, well, like Christmas (where everyone spends so much time organising the smallest details to make it perfect and then Aunty Sue and Aunty Mary have a big tiff in the kitchen) or weddings (where despite the best laid plans, something or someone of monumental importance will be forgotten) IYKWIM. My imaginary pregnancy was delightful (unlike the real one) and while pregnant, DH & I imagined how it would be with our baby - I would be at home with her, she would sleep and settle easily, and I would be able to do so much while she slept (like shower and eat breakfast LOL, seriously though, cook dinner and do not alot but just a little housework), I would go for a walk everyday and while breastfeeding would lose weight. The reality is I spend the entire day with her. Yes she sleeps all night, but the days are reserved for her entertainment alone! She feeds for ages. She has about 3, sometimes 4 x 30 min sleeps in the day. And needs to be nursed or rocked to have those sleeps. It takes longer to settle her to sleep than what she sleeps for. Oh and the walk - it has either rained or been close to 40 degrees every day so I think I have walked about 4 times. So my reality is very different to how I planned, but I love her nonetheless.
    So now we have DH imaginary baby - he would come home to work, and on our walk DD & I would have fed & watered the animals, so DH wouldn't have to look after all of them after a full day of work. Dinner would be either cooked or close to cooked, and we would all have nice quiet family time when he came home. Reality - DH comes home right in the middle of arsenic hour. He wants a few mins to unwind (which he doesn't get), before starting on the farm jobs. Dinner generally hasn't even been thought of and sometimes he has to cook it. Oh and I almost forgot - in his "ideal" we had lots of sex. Reality - twice. I have just been two exhausted or can't be bothered. So do I feel as connected to DH as before? definately not! But I think it's to be expected. So I guess what I am trying to say is I think it is natural to not feel as connected, especially when we anticipated so much. Does any of that make sense or am I on the completely wrong tangent?
    And no I haven't had the chance to sew again!

OK ladies, question time:

Sleep - how long are your little ones sleeping for in total?

Poos - DD has gone from pooing everyday to pooing every few days. She seems to get very bloated and than does a runny poo and then the next day does the more solid one. My diet hasn't changed, so I am not sure why. Is this normal?

Nipple thrush - anyone had this? (Cass did you have this after your mastitis?) I am not sure if I have it or not. my nipples are itchy and get a bit stingy towards the end of a feed and for a little while after. Does this sound like it and are there any home remedies to fix it?

thanks!

Hi Milly!

The poo thing sounds fairly normal to me. DD1 after a few months would poo every 3 -4 days, DD2 is starting to go very 2 -3 days at the moment. I agree with what you said about the relationship side. You have an ideal of what life will be like and sometimes it doesn't happen. Also I think the dynamics change as well. Before it was just the two of you and you could focus your attention on each other, but now a third person has arrived, and it changes things. A lot. At least part (a significant part) of that attention gets taken away and it takes a bit to get used to.

hey milly: it kinda does sound like nipple thrush...if you google for the royal womens hospital in melbourne they have a great little leaflet on it. i did put daktarin oral gel on my boobs when i had painful bad. but then when it just got to itchy or stabby i just tried to air them as much as possible and changed tops/bras as often as possible. it's a PITA to get rid of, but you know what really did it? a swim in the ocean! weird but true!

Morning

Milly thanks hon, you are totally on the right track with DH. Re the nipple thrush, mine were getting really itchy but figured out it was from not getting enough air and when it was a sticky and hot day they must have been sweating and maybe leaking a bit too and combined it made them itchy. My remedy was swiping a bit of vinegar& water solution over my nipples a few times a day and going topless as much as possible, in fact I'd say without any exaggeration that I've been topless about 80% of the time since DS was born!

Sleep, DS sleeps for about 45 ins in the morning, 1.5-2hrs over lunch and another 30 or so mins in the afternoon than 10-11 hrs at night waking for feeds though at night. We have improved to getting a 4 hr sleep in most nights and the others are 2.5 - 3.5hr stretches.

Poo, a little while back DS went from everyday to every few days and it's a big one! some days he will do 2 or 3 regular size ones but usually a big one every 3-4 days. He doesn't seem to be bothered at all by it though

muminalice LOVE your avvy

oh i forgot about the poo. Marta only really goes every 3-4 days. for awhile there she was only going like once or twice a fortnight, but i felt that she was uncomfy, so i asked the osteo to "loosen" her up a bit lol!

totally normal for BF babies to go up to 2 weeks without a poo...weird, but true

Muminalice: woot woo! look at you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius2 View Post
    my PhD is in International Perception Management (fancy way of saying propaganda ). i look at the use of it during times of crisis and how this fits within a model of liberal democracy...man, i need to submit it lol.
    my plan is to get into international relations of some kind. have been working it towards a diplomacy kind of career. we'll see how that pans out...applying for work this month
    Wow, that sounds interresting. So we can call you the Dr of propaganda then

Cherished, it's good to hear that bub is sleeping more for you. I am very very lucky that DS sleeps through the night , but just as well really with being back at work and all.

Hi Milly! what you write about life with a baby is sooo true! The poos sound normal to me too. As for the nipple thrush, when I had it I had itchy red nipples and would get stabbing pains in my boobs occasionally. I used an anti fungal cream and it seemed to work well.

Hiya Muminalice, I'm loving your avvy too! I must get one again. I'd accidently let my subscription lapse then when I havent had a new avy put up since I renewed it.

Can anyone suggest someone I can ask to do my new avvy? A while back I messaged the person who did my old one, to see if it oculd be re-instated but no response unfortunately

i *think* there is a thread in platinum where you can ask ppl to do one up for you...

****Sneaks In......

Cassius... Clear your inbox

............Sneaks Out****

Quote Originally Posted by CoNNiE_Melb View Post
    ****Sneaks In......

Cassius... Clear your inbox

............Sneaks Out****
    Done

Cricky it's been ages since I've posted in here I've been busy dealing with my marriage and this are finally looking up

Today DS is 5 months old and it marks the day that we are starting solids! On Wednesday I ducked out to the markets and got organic pumpkin, sweet pot, avo, banana, peach, apple, pear, zuchini, beetroot, green beans, carrot and then got some organic oats and brown rice from the health food store. So today I've been cooking everything up in the steamer and mashing it up for the freezor. So much fun (the 1st time) but I can imagine that it'd get a bit annoying down the track so I don't think I will do that. I've made up heaps which should last a few months and by that time he'll just be eating what we will be eating so I'll mash things up as I go on the day. For now though it's nice to have everything in the freezer ready to go. I also got out the hand pump and expressed 1/2 a bottle of breast milk so that I could make ice cubes of it to put in with the rice and oats and it took FOREVER about 45 mins and I thought stuff it, that is enough. It only made about 24 cubes which is a months worth I guess if I add it to either the rice or oats to make it taste better and it totally needs it. Plain rice or oats are totally yuck. After the breast milk runs out I'll add the fruits to it. Anyway today after DS's next feed I'm going to give him sweet pot as his 1st food YAY.

Mama S I could have a go at an avvy for you but I'm guessing you've found that thread by now and got one on the go. I've only made 4 all up so am no expert though!

On the sleep front we had maybe the best night the other night 2 x 4hr stretches and then a 3.5 hr stretch. It' didn't last though , the following night he woke every 2- 2.5 hrs again and last night wasn't much better

hi ladies,

i wanted to write more but dd is now awake. will come back later

cass - you need to empty your mailbox, i just tried to pm you!

Hi well I'm new around this forum. My name is Nicole. I've tried reading but there is soooo much!

My youngest DD is almost 24weeks, actually she'll be 24weeks tomorrow!. Her name is Brydee. She was born on the 4th of Sept after an induced 2hr labour at 41weeks & 3days...Apparently she was too content in there....Any how she's a much easier baby than my first. Far LESS crying; though she does get bouts of acid reflux so not at those times! She's been a much happier baby from birth - my first was born with the help of a ventouse delivery & thinking back I kinda think that didn't set us off on the right foot, but thats a whole other story...So I BF'd until 3months & then I'd decided that was enough. I'd had trouble from the get go - over supply & that just led to a screaming tummy achey baby. I became depressed because all I ever did was feed & soothe a crying baby. So once we made the switch things looked brighter. Everything was soo much easier....While I often regret stopping - I may never get the chance to do it again - I know that we're in a much better place & that 3months is better than not doing it at all. (I am not a big BF is best advocate. I believe that each mum should do as they wish.) I'm thankful for getting the opportunity to do it....
    So any ways. at the moment we're sort of settled into a routine. She takes 4 240ml bottles a day about 4-4.5 hrs between. A few weeks ago I introduced some solids & that seems to be going well. Actually we had a really rough trot about 6days ago where she was just unsettled & fussy & really colicky so I stopped the solids incase it was something I'd given her. Since re-introducing she's been good. Day time sleeps are hit & miss. Some days she sleeps for 1.5-2hrs & other days I might be lucky for her to sleep 30mins! It gets tiring, especially with a toddler demanding your attention at the most inconvenient times....Night times are GREAT. She has her last bottle at 6pm & is in bed sound asleep by 8pm & sleeps til 6-6.30am...I'm very lucky!
    Any who, I think thats enough rambling from me....I look forward to getting to know you all better....I don't have many friends in my area. Too much nastiness for me....So it'll be nice to have somewhere to go, iykwm?!

mummyofgirls not only to our baby buddies group but to BB too! I'm sure you'll love it here, everyone is very supportive and there's so much information it's bound to keep you occupied for hours.

HI ladies, back again,

Hello mummyofgirls! I too have a DD who avoids DD sleeps, so I know what that's like, only my DD is also hard to get down in the evening too. Like Cherished said, you will find some fab ladies & support here.

thanks cherished, cass, muminalice and mamaspice for the feedback re poos and nipple thrush.
    update there - well she still seems gassy and bloated, and still only pooing ev couple of days. I did get the chiro to do an ajustment when I went, but so far no difference.
    This last week, she has also been a bit vomity, when she hasn't really been a vomity baby before. teething issues perhaps? who knows! As I keep saying to her "mummy has L plates".
    and the nipple thrush, well I'm thinking perhaps it's not, and is only a bit irritated. but again, who knows!

Mamaspice - your little man sleeps right through the night. does he also sleep during the day? how many hours (in total) would he sleep?

our DD wakes in the morning at 6.30am. today she had one sleep of one hour 10 mins (it took one and a half hours to settle her), and then went down at 8.30, only after 3 hours of settling, and she then woke 2 hours later, and then needed another hour and a half to settle back again! In 24 hours, she probably gets 12.5 hours sleep max, which just doesn't seem enough to me. And the only way to get her to sleep is to feed her, let her comfort suck, or rock her. she is constantly in-arms, and I am finding it rather exhausting. It seems I spend my entire day sitting on my backside nursing her, or walking around the house rocking her!

Cherished - how did your little man like his solids? I am - yet again - impressed at how organised you are!

I am hanging off the solids just a little bit longer. It seems I will be going back to work after easter, so I want to keep exclusively BF for a bit longer.

HPL - how is the work going?

I need to start to organise daycare, but am procrastinating.
    I guess I should also start serious expressing and storing too. I have a bit frozen, but have no idea how much EBM she will need in a day. She either has 1 or 2 boobs, or sometimes 3 or 4 (ie, a repeat performance on each side) if she has been up for a while (yeah often she has three feed periods before a sleep!)
    And I should really be trying to get a routine happening, where there is some regular sleep involved, not just collapse when exhausted sleep. Gosh, she is going to have a hard time in daycare. I am sooooo nervous about going back to work!!!!

well, I think that's all for now.

Hi girls!

yessiree it has been awhile! i have also been mega busy as we have DHs father visiting from italy, so we have been packing in as much as we can with "nonno". it's been great!

Firstly! Big to Mummyofgirls!! welcome to our little thread i have added you to our baby list at the front of the thread...can we add Brydee's birthweight?

Milly: ooops! man, i must have heaps in that messages thingy. it has been years of BB lol! i have just done a mega cleanout so hopefully that is all good now

we have just started creche here...we are feed to sleepers here too lol! have to admit that it hasnt been terribly pretty. but thankfully i dont really start until late march so i am slowly introducing her. on the first whole day that i tried she last 40 minutes before they called me. oh boy.
    is her creche near your work? mine is close enough that on lunch break i go down and BF her. that way i dont need to express as much (and i can attempt to put her to sleep myself). well that's the plan the reality is that she just cracks it and we go home lol.

all i can recommend is not to do as i did and express a whole bottle in one sitting lol. talk about flirting with mastitis! i had all the hallmarks of it and spent 36 hours in pain pain pain!

Marta's sleep is fairly hit and miss, some nights are 2-3 hourly, then there are weeks where she sleeps through then most nights where she is up once or twice a night. and she really only catnaps during the day. so might do 3 one hour naps from 8am to 6.30pm. that is tiring a bit. but i think that is my fault a bit as well as with our toddler there is alot of running around and social stuff and poor marta has been dragged around since birth. i am trying now to have a few stay at home by ourselves days to get marta a bit of rest. see how that goes...

maybe you have a grazed nipple? i find that when marta has been particularly cranky and tired she feeds a bit rough and i get an itchy nipple for a day or so until i whack some paw paw cream on it...mebbe??

Cherished: you go girl! nice collection of scrumptious food!! how did the sweet potato go? i remember DD1 loving it. marta on the other hand despises the colour orange lol.
    great idea on storing the milk! i must do that as ATM all i do is express as we go. bit inconvenient lol.

(oh and i am doing some happy cheers for you and DH!!! ...this just wonderful news!!)

AFM: well as i mentioned DHs dad is here and we have enjoyed being tourists in our city! on valentines we headed out to a winery with the girls and did a full degustation...om nom nom!! marta enjoyed the duck lol! oh and the roast potatoes

we also started creche. oh boy. sooooooo not her sister! DD1 started and never looked back...marta is just hating it. i am so worried! i dont want to ever see her that distressed ever again in my life...oh man. when i finally got her to sleep in the hammock there she was still sobbing in her sleep . it was just AWFUL. i dont want to continue...aarrgghhh! but it is so weird as her sister loves it soooo much and she has made some great friends (as have we!). i'll try again for real in late march when we get back from townsville (the girls and i are going solo!).

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast