Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 1st-15th 2010 #1

hi milly! oh you poor girls! teething can be really rotten at times. poor wee poppet xx i sterilised until DD1 was 6 months...BUT i am sure that forgetting here and there is no biggie! i wouldnt be too stressed about it TBH

i am sure you have a full arsenal of bonjela and brauers teething relief and the amber...give it all a go. pity that they arent eating yet as frozen watermelon works a treat . otherwise wet a washer and stick it in the freezer and let her suck on that...we also have a fridge teether thingy and marta loves it!

gotta go as marta is cracking it...sorry for such a quick reply...

Hi everyone! all ok in my neck of the woods today, how bout everyone else? Updates all round would be fantastic! I'm so worried about it all and it's just heartbreaking I think I've gone a little mad with some sort of survival freak out went to the supermarket and there's loads of food there only no bread, luckily I have a bread maker so I just stocked up on loads of flour. It may be a bit of overkill but there will be more floods as we are nowhere near out of the wet season... I hate to think of what is to come. And I'm cleaning and tidying like a crazy 'nesting' woman, I feel like I need to know where everything is just in case

Milly hon that's no good about the teething. There's only been one day that I've thought DS 'may' have been girzzling due to teeth but that's only because I couldn't think of what else it could have been. I even gave him the cold teething sucker thing from the fridge but he couldn't get it in his mouth properly anyway! I have no idea about expressing but am wanting to know.

HPL I hope you've got lots of supplies hon

Cass how are you holding up?

Hi Ladies,
    just checking to make sure you are all OK?

Hello Ladies!!

Sorry it's been a while between posts!

We're all okay on the flood front, my DF had to be evacuated from his work, and the roads to our house basically were closed but at least we were safe!! It's so so so sad about what has happened here and now VIC is going through it too...

Hope everyone is okay!!

Mily: With ther sterilising as Cass said every now and then won't hurt... I'm going to go all 'work mode' for a sec.. There has been researched done in Australia on the concept of sterilising... They're not saying dont wash bottle, teats, pumps dummies etc, simply saying that yes while it's great to be cleaning your babies things, what happens when you then pic that item up, germs are always on your hands and around the environment what once you have sterilised something and taken in out in the open it then is no longer sterile.... At work we have been advise that the best way to clean the toys, bottles etc is in warm soapy water, rinse with HOT water and allow to air dry, in the sun if possible....

Me, I do a bit of eveything... With my pump, I put it in a bit pot of boiling water on the stove for about 5 - 10mins then let it air dry on a clean tea towel... The bottle I put in the top drawer on the dishwasher then again boiling water... The dummy thought I'm sort of bad I guess, but I try not to worry to much about that at home and I figure she is putting everything in her mouth as it is...

That's just what I do, and what some research has said... I'm sure you could find information all that from all sides of the coin... I'd do what you feel comfortable with..

Cherished: You asked a while back **sorry** about storing breastmilk?? You can buy zip locked bags from the chemist that are specially bag for BM... I have a medela pump and they actually have designed a bag that sticks to the pump directly so you don't need to use a bottle to catch the milk then transfer it to a bag... The BM can store in your freezer for 3 - 6mths depending on the type of freezer you have... I have read that it is recommended that if you store it in the fridge it should be on the bottom shelf at the back to ensure it stays at the same temperature when opening/closing the door... Also it should be used with 24hrs of expressing.. If you're expressing through out the day, research suggests that you can simply rinse the pump and store it in an airtight container until it's next use instead of sterilising/cleaning properly after every use.. Again its just a suggestion...

At work I actualy wrap the pump in cling wrap and put it in the freezer until the next time I use it - in an air tight container of course....

Cassa: I'm sorry I can't remember if you have posted recently.. I'm on my SIL comp and well it's not fantastic to say the least!! Hope Marta is doing brilliantly!!

Audrey can now offically roll over from front to back!! She thinks she is such a clever cookie!! And found her voice my goodness!! ON the drive to and from work all she does is sing and talk!! Watch out phone bill when she's a teenager!!

I can now say I'm getting married next year and we're going to TCC next year too!! YAY!!! So excited!!

Hope all you lovely ladies and bubbas are doing great!!

Oh and a HAPPY 4mth BIRTHDAY to all our darlings xxxx

Hi HPL! Glad that you are OK!
    Thanks for the info on the sterilising. I must admit I have thought it odd, given that they are (or soon will be) on their hands and knees on the floor, putting stuff in their mouth, that we need to sterilise stuff that goes in thier mouth. Hot soapy water sounds fine to me!
    Great news on the rolling! DD is a bit slow on that front (from the harness) but she has been talking alot too! She is always having a wonderful conversation with me - I wish I knew what she was saying!

Cherished, Cass - how are you ladies?

AFM - DD had her 4 mo needles today poor poppet cried and cried! not fun! She's OK now though, but mum is still traumatised!
    She had her first play date too (well perhaps a bit too small to call it a play date, but still).

I hope you ladies are all well,
    cheerio for now!

Hi girls!

HPL: phew! lucky that there was no flood damage at your place. just seeing Fairfield (we used to live in annerley) was totally freaky. and UQ! omg! DH used to work there...ahhhh what a lake lol!

that is also cool that she can roll from front to back. Marta is still in the land of frustration on that one. she can roll back to front like there's no tomorrow but chucks a stink when she needs to go the other way lol.
    Milly: *snap* Marta also had her 4 month needles. poor poppet. She was incredibly upset last night and i had to give her panadol i have never seen her so distressed. in the end she slept through the night (must of needed it!). but of course i stayed up to watch the tennis lol! so i still feel tired

who was the playdate with??

AFM: well i have been feeling very rattled and upset about the loss of our dear friend Lucy (Lulu). she was totally awesome and knew how to have a good time. so full of life and love; still cant get my head around it so have been reading more than posting lately.

on other news, Marta's sleep is getting progressively worse. not sure what is going on. from being a normal newborn to then sleeping through with the occassional night of one wakeup to now being up almost 1.5 hourly . i will buy some rice cereal today as i do think there might be hunger issues as she is now feeding from both breasts at each feed (even during the night!). i gave her a suck of a banana the other day and she LOVED it and then a nectarine which she also loved...so maybe
    also, we had a big wakeup call yesterday. i was at a playcentre yesterday for DD1 and Marta was on my lap and suddenly she crapped my cup of coffee! thankfully i was quick and got it, but it really did jolt me into realising that my baby is growing up and really exploring. it's now impossibel to have her on my lap when i am eating as she is in there with her hands throwing it all around lol.

Hi girls, Cass funny you mention the rice cereal as I was about to post today asking when you are all starting on solids as a friend is already giving her little girl lots and she is only 3.5 months? I wanted to wait until 6 months (maybe 5) as per the WHO recommendation however our pead said he recommends 4 months so we figured 5 was a good compromise. I'm a little torn over it really, I love breastfeeding and even though I will still be breastfeeding for some time even when we do start soilds it kinda feels like the begining of the end kwim. I think DS is having loads of milk though but a couple of dys ago I expressed after his feed to see if my boobies wer completely drained and I think I managed to express around 20mls lol but there are plenty of feeds when he still wont take the 2nd breast so I figure he's happy with just the breast milk at this stage. He was 4 months yesterday so I think we can hold out for another 4 weeks.

HPL thanks for the express info. When I got out my hand pump one the instructions said that it keeps in the freezer for 3 weeks. I wanted some in there JIC but I don't think we'd really need it anyway so I'm not going to bother at this stage.

Hi milly YAY for play dates We've had a couple and they have been really good.

Well I've been feeling a bit lost this last week, can't even remember what I was going to post really. SO unsure about what we are doing, I want to look after DS but not sure if I'll go back to work or id dh will work more or if we are moving. DS is beautiful though, talking LOTS and blowing raspberries etc and rolling too. Still not sleeping the best but most nights we will get a 3-4 hours stretch so that's nice. On that note, Cass I read somewhere that from 4 months they can start waking up a lot more. Not great for us cause we were already having pretty crap nights Looks like there is more to come....

Hey everyone! Long time, no chat.

Glad you have all pulled through the floods ok.

Chersihed I saw your post about Darwin, all I can tell you about is Alice Springs, but from what I have heard the housing market is just ridiculous everywhere. Apparantly it's the governments fault for being desperate to house their intervention workers so all the rents have skyrocketed cause they will pay the earth. The rest of us poor suckers though can't. The best why is to have an employer that will subsidise your rent, which we don't, which is why......

We are moving to Melbourne next month......WOOHOO....so excited...well I was until I started the packing!

We had our 4 month needles here to yesterday, Katie seems to have come through fine, cried for about 30 seconds and forgot about them!

Hi Cass & Cherished! Glad you are OK!

Cass - sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Cherished - our play date was with someone we met at the community health centre. Her DD is just 3 weeks younger than ours, and she too (like me) is an "older" mum (well older than the others at the baby clinic and I guess we just had a bit more in common than we did with some of the other mums)

Hi Muminalice! nice to hear from you! :wave:

feeding - well DD has been watching us eat intently. I wasn't going to start just yet as I too wanted to wait till 6 months, but I am going to do baby-led weaning, so didn't want to go down the rice cereal path (well I'm sure she'll end up with some of it, but I am hoping not as her main solids). She still has tongue thrust, so it will be a little while yet before we introduce solids yet.

Hi muminalice thanks for that info, I had pretty much told dh that the extra money he'd be making would be spent on either rent or our home loan repayments if we were to live in Darwin. I also said that the employer would need to provide accomodation. It's a shame cause the job pays about $30,000 more than his current job so it would have been great. They will pay to fly him there and back on some sort of 2 weeks on 2 weeks off roster but he would miss DS to much and we would miss him!

milly tell me more about baby led weaning, is that like baby lead solids? I haven't read anything on this but presume it's just to give your baby what you are eating when they seem interested? I'm not buying the rice cereal. I think I'll cook up some brown rice and mush it up pretty runny with some of my breast milk. To that I'm also going to add a wee little bit of pear, some liquid iron supliment and multivitamin (for babies)

Have any of your bubs changed eye color? I think DS may be turning green he's got one little patch on one of his eyes which is changing colour

Hi girls!

Marta's eyes are kinda still really light blue/grey. no change as yet...

Muminalice: WAHOOO!! where abouts are you going to be in Melbs?? mebbe we'll be neighbours lol?!

Cherished: aw babe i can't stand not knowing what i'm doing or where i am going to be living, so i feel your pain. we have moved around so much for DHs work...i hope that you guys can find something awesome for you all soon xx

Feeding: is going great although i have to say that sucking on a banana isnt really feeding as such lol. but she loves it. i made up some pumpkin yesterday for her as she was sticking her hands in my dinner and helping herself to the cooked carrot pieces and it would appear that orange is her favourite colour lol. i feel really strange about it all as Leila had 100% boob for almost 6 months without batting an eyelid, but this young lady is just loving it right now. weird! ah well, she decided for me lol. (and i'm like you cherished, i have really mixed feelings about it as i LOVE that total boob moment, so am that i can get away with just a piece of carrot or pumpkin here and there for the next month or so....

Cherished: If they are willing to spend that money on airfare, maybe they would be willing to spend it instead on rent assistance. It might end up paying half your rent for you.

muminalice thanks hon, I mentioned it to dh today and we are pretty sure they wouldn't do it but if we do actually apply for the job then we will at least ask!

I think I might get a high chair and then start having dinner at the table with dh and ds. I can then see how much interest ds has in the food and maybe we can give him something. Mind you it could be another 4 weeks until we get a high chair lol. I feel like such a sook not wanting him on solids, even the other day when I tried to express I got teary thinking that he didn't need me if he has a bottle and I gave up on expressing cause it was taking forever to hand pump it anyway lol I know I can still breastfeed for as long as I want anyway so I guess I'm just being a bit silly. OR maybe it's cause ds has been fussing at the boob the last couple of days and I feel rejected

Speaking of feeding I also worried that I'm teaching ds to associate feeding with sleeping as I pretty much always feed him before sleeping, does anyone else do that?

OH and I think I've got mastitis again but in the other boob this time. Ironically my acupuncturist said that women who get mastitis are worried about lacking supply and the other day when I got the express pump out I was worried about supply as my boobs were really flat and ds seemed to want milk and was taking a few sucks and then fussing and I thought they could be empty then the next day I had some fenegreek just to boost supply and it worked as my boobs were full all day and night BUT now I've got mastitis. Thankfully I have the herbs to take now to get on top of it before it gets bad.

we feed to sleep

but it occassionally is a PITA so some times i feed her on the couch and then carry her to the room. that way she *kinda* wakes up a bit and groggily looks aroud when i put her down. i find if i do that say once a day then she actually sleeps a bit better overall ITMS...but it could be total placebo on my behalf if it's any consolation i fed Leila to sleep the whole time and she is a great sleeper and didnt have any issues about falling to sleep without it when she self weaned...

*snap* we need to get a highchair too. i was going to re-use Leila's Stokke one, but she is still using it and i dont want to push her out IYKWIM. so i will have to buy another one...ahhh tough lol! gotta choose a colour now lol!

Hi Ladies!

Cherished - yes, baby-led weaning is baby-led solids. I found this great website - I don't think I can post the link, but if you google "babyled weaning" and "wholesome baby food" you'll find it. It has some great recipes and also info on when to introduce solids.

Cass, I too am feeling sad at DD growing up all ready! Just when she lost that fragile newborn look, I shed a tear! LOL!

We feed to sleep too. In fact, its the ONLY way she goes to sleep. And yep, wakes up when I put her down too, but no groggily going back to sleep for us, no, we wake up fully, often with tears, and then start again. She just wants to sleep in my arms, not even on the bed beside me (tried that - doesn't work!) and not even laying on my chest -we had to stop that becasue of the harness, and now she doesn't like it anymore *sigh*

Do you ever have those days where you just feel like that you are doing it ALL wrong? That you have NO IDEA what you are doing? And feel like you just keep making one mistake after another? Well, I'm having one of those days ladies. I just feel incredibly hopeless at this. I am exhausted after DD being awake several times during the night - each time for 1&1/2 - 2 hours, and then when I tried to get her to sleep today she did her usual of only having 1/2 hour (I really thought she might have more today - she should have been tired, I know I am!). But she was tired, just tired and cranky and crying and too tired to sleep I think. Sorry ladies, I am just feeling really crap at this at the moment.
    Ok I'll stop now, I have had my whinge.

whinge away Milly i am soo with you some days lol! somedays i feel like superwoman and then the next i am left standing in the middle of a tornado!

Marta is also only able to really manage 40 mins during the day. the exceptions when she does do say, an hour are a really weird and usually mean i am in there checking her breathing, she is that much of a catnapper lol.

feeding to sleep is our only real option ATM though. i am just not able to let her cry for too much...with leila i was a bit more rigid, and well, she was a better sleeper (but again that could just be different kids IYKWIM). also, i do think that Marta being in the same room is part of the night waking. she wakes up 10 mins after we get to bed...that's a bit of a no brainer. not sure how to overcome that though

Hi Ladies,

Audrey has a bedtime routine that we've had since birth which is bath with daddy, feed with mummy, then wrap her up and put her to bed awake, but her music seahorse on and walk out... She'll usually put herself to sleep in 30mins sometime we go in to put her dummy back in and them she's off in dreamland... Her one night a feed though she usually falls asleep instantly when she's on the boob then I put her back down...

I'm hoping on the band wagon for 'those days' I hate it when other people tell you what you SHOULD be doing instead of just encouraging you and telling you that you're doing your best!! It's really starting to "P" me off!!!

I've been doing research too about solids - was goingto start introducing farex to bubs with breastmilk but..... Someone mentioned brown rice?? Using Iphone can't see posts...: can you tell me more about that please??? I wanted t cooked eveything myself so I knew what she was having but 'those' people tell me to start her on farex then add fruits to it later.... I don't know what to do....

Bub gets her needles this Friday, my Dr doesn't do them Friday / Saturdays and well DF and I both work so jad to find new DR!!!

my word what a week!! I resigned from my job on Monday and did not get the best reception from my co-workers, bit sad about that but oh well can't be helped. New job is walking distance from our house so baby weight be gone!!! lol so many perks I'm excited!! We met bubs teachers on Friday and they are lovely so I'm not wrried about moving bubs to my new centre I just hope eveything works out for the best....

Taking bub to the beach for the first time on Australia day, sooooo excited!! What's everyone else doing??

HPL Wow hon a new job! woohoo It does suck that your old job didn't respond too well. I'm pretty sure I will not be going back to my old job or I will at least be extending my maternity leave until probably August but the girl who is doing my job is always such a sour face when I go in there I really don't ever want to go back! Sounds like sleep time in your house is still fantastic, that's great to hear. It was me who mentioned the brown rice, I have PM'd you a link with some home made recipes for rice and other cereals for babies I intend to add my own iron (ferrodrops) and some pentavite multivitamin once DS starts to actually swallow the food.

We are managing 2-4hr stints at night still, most nights there's a couple of 3 hours tints and I seam to be coping with it ok now although during the night I waking up isn't that much fun when I need tooth pick to open my eyes lol I have option to have a sleep most days but I'm not taking as often so things are looking up.

Milly I hope you are feeling better hon those days suck when you feel like you're doing it all wrong. But I think you're doing it 'all right' xo

Hi Cass,

gotta go ds is crying...

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast