Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 month, April '05 #3

Debbie Lee Guest

Yay for Zander and Voilet being 1 month old today!

Sarah - good idea to record everything. I am going to do that too. I just need to see some kind of pattern. I hope Christy's suggestion helps you out a bit.

Tanya - It's reassuring in a way to hear that you aren't always sure about what Violet wants and needs even though she is your third. It makes me feel kinda normal.

Trish - I have no idea about my let down. All I know is that I feel like I am taking her off way too early now. 10 minutes for each boob hardly seems like enough when I have been used to feeding for up to an hour. I can't tell when my boobs are full or empty except for that first morning feed when they have had a chance to fill up for a few hours. Urrgh! Now I am more confused than ever.

Fi - how r u travelling?

Nat - how cute with Matt feeding Jacob! What a lovely experience 4 them both!

I am not sure if the day stay actually helped or not. Now I feel less like I know what I am doing than before. Urrgh!
    Gabby slept 8 hours last night. As lovely as that sounds, I have read that it's just not good for a baby her age to go that long without a feed. It's only because of the formula that she sleeps so well but I am too scared to not give her one in case she wakes every hour and I can never get her to sleep. I just don't have faith that the BM will do enough iykwim? Maybe I should wake her up after 5 hours on the nights she wants to sleep through?
    I might just give the ABA a call today and see what advice they can give me. All these conficting bit of info are driving me nuts. I just wanna know when she is getting enough!

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks Shannon. I know she will wake if she is hungry and every baby is different. I am just so overwhelmed by the fact that a) I wasn't feeding her right to begin with so we have to learn attachment all over again and b) she still doesn't sleep during the day except for short cat-naps.

She is down now and has been for about 20 minutes. Fingers crossed it lasts at least an hour!

Debbie Lee Guest

Do you think Ziana cat napped because she slept so well at night?
    I am hoping that is the case with Gabby. If that's what she is going to do and it's healthy for her, then so be it. After all, at least I get a good night's sleep, hey? My concern is that she is meant to have better sleep during the day. Urrgh!

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one casue Jenna is waking up right now!!!
    Had the stupid dom midwife muck up all my routine, fill me self doubt and criticise everything I'm doing - this is despite the fact Jenna has put on weight, I've lost it, and we are both alive.
    She got a terrible nights sleep 2 nights ago, would go down yesterday morning, but then I decided to through everything the midwife said out the window, and go back to what I thought was right - absolutely no problems since. (Well only the normal ones.....)
    I now walk around with Mum saying - stupid midwife. She was a right royal pain in the bum - and very opinionated!!!!! She put my baby down at 5pm in her bass, not even a little happy about that. Completely botched up her routine.

Anyway - she went down from 9:30 to 2am last night!! OMG!! Bliss!!

Hope everyone is well - Yay on the month olds! Stick around a while Tanya and Sarah and soon Deb!!
    Nat - you sound like me with your big boosies. I have to express before every feed just so she can latch on. I'm getting sick of throwing milk away, but I haven't figured out how to store it yet. Seems like a waste.

Trish - hope the poo situation is getting better rather than worse.

Kayla - I know the feeling about not getting on. It will be nice when Mum has gone because I will have time to myself - not spending it with her. Of course - I do have an essay due in 3 days....... I should probably work on that!

My hug-a-bub was supposed to arrive today, and hasn't. I'll be calling and finding out where it is cause we need it for the airport tomorrow!

Fi

Deb, when you are feeding Gabby to you get a tight tingling feeling in your boobs not long after she starts feeding? If so, that is your let down. I say feed her what ever way you are comfortable doing it. If you haven't got sore nipples or any discomfort then what is the problem. DId the lady that told you how to feed her have big bb's? Don't want to confuse you any more, just do what works for you and Gabby.

Fi, I think the same goes for you, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Yay for getting a good nights sleep too. Do you express out heaps before a feed or just alittle to make your nipple softer and easier to get into her mouth?

Not long got back from our 6 week check. Tehya is perfect - like I didn't know. She didn't weigh her though and I really wanted to know how much she had gained. She wanted to check my uterus, damn it. Thought I'd had enough of people looking down there. Also gave me a script for the mini pill. I won't be getting that filled in a hurry. The last thing I want back are periods, I've only just stopped bleeding now.

Anyways, hope that all are well and bubs are growing nicely.

Take care
    Trish

Debbie Lee Guest

So does the mini-pill bring your period back, Trish? No thanks!! LOL Good to hear that you are both well. Pity you had to have another internal. Gotta love how much people wanna peer up there throughout your life, hey? I don't feel the let down unfortunately. I know that I must have it because when I feed Gabby without a bra on, the other boob starts leaking profusely! You are right, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I spoke to my Mum and she reckons that if Gabby was putting on weight then the way I was holding her before must be fine. After all, if she wasn't able to swallow properly, she wouldn't attach so well. I actually find it harder to get her attached the "proper" way than the way I was doing it before. So it's back to feeds that last at least 30 minutes. She seems far more content.
    However, because of all the screaming, her little voice has gone horse! The poor thing. Lauren is over atm... doing my dishes. Isn't she lovely! I tried to put Gabby down but she screamed after 30 minutes. I tried to settle her but to no avail so I cuddled her back to sleep out in the lounge room. She is now asleep in her rocker dispite the noise. I don't care where she sleeps, so long as she sleeps!

Fi - it's so hard when you get advise from "experts" and it turns out to be a load of codswallop! I tell you, we need to learn to trust our instincts more, hey? And not worry about doing things the "text book" way unless it isn't working for us. I am glad Jenna has settled down a little for you now that you have fixed up her routine. Good work! Bummer that your hug a bub hasn't arrived. I will have to come and visit soon. Let me know when it is ok for you Visiting makes the day a little more bearable, I find. Maybe I should just go out visiting all day, LOL.

Shannon - I am going to try and take on your approach. If this is how Gabby is going to be, then so be it. I only worry about how much crying she is doing (thus the horse voice) but maybe if I don't try so much to put her down, she won't cry as much. You are right - I have the time to sit and cuddle her so why not, hey? Stuff the housework. When Neil gets home, he can cuddle her and I can get the essentials done then. Time for me to let go, hey?

wow its quiet in here.

I have a little question. Bubs cord fell of last friday and its really bloody today. Is there anything I can clean it with or does anyone have any advice for me?

Debbie Lee Guest

Kayla - I was told to just use a cotton bud and warm, boiled water to gently clean the area.
    Yay for Nixee losing her stump tho!
    It is rather quiet in here! Everyone is busy with their bubbies I imagine.

Kayla, just use a cotton bud dipped in warm water to gently clean it.

I think everyone has graduated haven't they. Oh no Fi and Deb's still here.

How are you and Pheonix going anyway?

Take care
    Trish

Hi Guys,

Hug-a-bub arrived today - OMG - its fabulous. The little munchkin went to sleep straight away in it. I can see myself getting so much done during the day in it - hopefully I will be able to settle her in the sling, and then put her in the bassinette so I can catch some ZZZzz's too.

Jenna's cord fell off about 4 days ago - its bloody too, I'm not worried about it. We just clean it once a day, and I figure the blood is not doing any harm. Better than mucking around with it.

Had the MCHN do a house visit today. She said I'm doing really well, but I'm to do less cause my fanny is seriously hurty. Not surprisingly, it aches like crap when I do too much - and when I look at today - up at 4am for feeds, off to Melbourne to drop Mum off, left 5am, got there 6am. Had no sling so had to set up the pram.... in the cold!!! Had coffee, then left for the nursery north of melbourne (45mins drive....) wandered around and bought all the plants for Lara - $250 which we were sure would cost us about $4-500 at a normal nursery - BIG SAVINGS!! Got to Lara, fed/changed her, then changed her again, and again...... (In between getting wee'd on!) Laid the plants out, then planted them all (like 40 pots!!!!) then came home. I'm absolutely buggered, and like I say, stitches are KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!

God I hope she sleeps tonight. Please please please let us get at least 6 hours!!!!!!!!

Deb - visiting sounds great, but let me get through this weekend first. I need to catch up on sleep. And you get to visit me this time!
    I love feeding the way I do - across my chest. I really had to perservere for about 2 days to get it though, and even now I muck up the position sometimes. I'm really happy cause I can feed her standing up, swaddled, then over the shoulder to burp her, and thats normally the easiest way to get her down. I think its worthwhile for you to try it, but maybe wait until your boobies settle down?

Trish - I have to express if she goes longer than about 3-4 hours between feeds, although it is getting better. Its really annoying at night, cause its hard to get the timing right and be ready for her, when shes ready for me. Oh - it makes me tired just thinking about it!!!
    The MCHN was really good today about expressing and storing. She said I really dont need sterile storage - thats more for hossy where there are bugs that aren't ours. At home she just said splash some hot water over the bottles if they come out of the dishwasher. yay - less work.

OK - thats a mammoth post from me, and now dinner is ready so I better skedaddle. I am calling missy moo Jenna-Benna, and it gets Shane SOOO annoyed. V funny!!

Hope all are well,
    Fi

Debbie Lee Guest

Wow, Fi! I agree with the MCHN - slow down girl!! I am exhausted just reading about it.
    Good to hear the feeding is going so well.
    That hug a bub sounds great. Where did you get it and how much? I might have to invest in one because the sling I have is pretty crappy and I can see my back hurting after a while because it doesn't sit very straight.

I just fed Gabby in my bed then cuddled her to sleep. Now she is back in her cradle (who knows how long for). I was so tempted just to sleep with her but I know that if I do, I won't be able to get to sleep later. Plus, Neil is out getting dinner so I would just have to wake up for that n e way.

I am with you, Fi. Pleeeeeease at least 6 hours

Very quiet in here at the moment. I'm guessing that we are all enjoying our beautiful babies. Nothing exciting going on here - Jacob is still sleeping nicely for us at night but making up for it with his whingey time in the afternoons.

Fi - I was exhausted after reading your post! Don't know how you got all of that done. I'm excited if I do the washing and make dinner 8-[

Deb - There are 2 threads of the boards about the hug-a-bub http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...hlight=hugabub and http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...hlight=hugabub

Kayla - We've also had a little blood around the belly button area. I have just been cleaning it with water then making sure I dry it completely. Jacob's stump fell off 1w3d ago and it first happened about a week after.

I agree with Nat, I'm exhausted just reading your post Fi!! You've gotta slow it down a bit, no wonder your "fanny is hurty"!!!

Kayla, my mum told me to clean Zander's cord stump / belly button with metho. Yes I know it sounds bad, but when she had us they told her to clean our belly buttons with alcohol to dry it out, but the stuff they gave her wasn't real strong. So anyway, she used metho with all 4 of us & we all have good belly buttons. I did the same for Zander & his dried out & went nice really quickly.

Sarah, They used to use metho when I had the big boys too. When I had Tehya I asked Victoria - my midwife, why they don't use it anymore. Apparently research showed that the metho was actually preserving and not allowing it to dry out as fast. Water is supposed to be best.

Fi, not a wonder your fanny is sore. Slow down!!! I don't know how you do it girl. Still fantastic that you guys got all the plants and planted them too.

Nat, I hear you on the afternoon grumpy's we get them too.

Take care
    Trish

Ahhh - sleep. Last night after Jenna was fed, I just handed her to Shane and said - you get her down, I'm going to sleep!! I dont even think I woke up when he came to bed. Bliss.
    So a quick feed in the night between about midnight and 1:30, and she went straight back down. What an angel, and thank goodness. We had a nap in bed together this morning with the cats, and now I have her asleep in the hug-a-bub. She took a little while to get settled in it today, but now shes in lala land.

As for doing too much - I didn't get breakkie until lunchtime today, and I haven't even hung out the washing or washed the nappies. And its a great drying day, so I have to get onto that. But Jenna-benna is fed, changed (twice....) bathed and asleep, so I gotta feel proud about that!

When I was eating my toast just before (breadmaker bread which is really crumbly) I looked down and there was crumbs all over her head and neck....oops. Must remember not to eat over her when shes in the sling!

Deb - the hug-a-bub was expensive, more than I think it should be, but I guess you cant really put a price on a settled baby and mum. It was $120 including express delivery, and you can find them on the internet. I got mine in blue and red - Portarlington colours, so I can wear her on the sideline tomorrow and scream at my girls. Or Shane can wear her - whatever works.

Sarah - Mum and Shane both wanted to use alcohol on Jenna's stump, but the midwife at the hossy said no. Its funny how times change!! Realistically, I dont think it matters too much. As long as they dont look puffy and red, its probably OK.

I'm going to try for an afternoon nap once I have the washing hung out - I've got to take her out of the sling and try to get her down. It will be interesting to see if it works. I also have to organise health insurance today. Jenna has a little bump on her head which has everyone worried. It wouldn't be covered by insurance now anyway, but at least the next bump will be.

Fi

It's funny how things change isn't it :-k Hope I haven't done something bad with the metho 8-[

Sarah, don't stress over it. Afterall it was done for yeas before this so called research and all of our belly buttons are fine hey. There is nothing wrong with Zanders either is there so what does that tell you

Take care
    Trish

I used the metho with the older boys - was actually supplied in the hospital. But hey, times change.

Fi - LOL at eating over Jenna - poor thing covered in crumbs #-o

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast