Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, June '05

Hi all

Got a chance to pop in while Erykah is sleeping. I managed to catch up on sleep last night she slept from 10pm to 3am. Bless her then she slept until 6am and then until 9am. So I got 9 1/2 hours of broken sleep.

She took some settling this morning but I guess I can't complain as she slept so well during the night. I have managed to do a bit of house work and been out for a walk with her.

I have the headache from hell that I am unable to shift at the moment. Not sure if it is from dehydration as we have the heating on 24/7 and we are not used to having a warm bedroom. Will make sure I drink plenty of water.

Went to the CMH nurse yesterday and Erykah has put on 260g in 2 wks. She only has 80g to go to get back to her birth weight.

Erykah is still jaundice from the trauma of being born by Forceps. The nurse is not worried about it though as she is coming on well.

Shannon - Sorry to hear about Jessalyn and hope that all goes well for you both.

Jo

Hey girls!

Hannah and I graduate to the one month forum today! I can't believe it's been a month already! I will keep checking up on you all....and look forward to seeing you there soon!

Shannon....sorry to hear your news...I replied in the other forum, but I'm not very good with words...hugs and kisses to Jessalyn and you, from Hannah and I.

Jo - hope your headache clears up soon...make sure you drink lots of water. I find I am really thirsty all the time with breastfeeding. Gotta keep up the fluids!

Yay for the nappy liners Megan! You should be able to get more sleep without having all those clothes and sheet changes. Glad to hear life is getting better! Same here. I felt exactly the same when Tim went back to work. I think it was more relaxed having more space to myself, and time just for me and Hannah to get to know each other. I imagine it's the same for you and little Finlay.

Welcome Shimona! See you soon in the next thread! Good to hear little Zac is a good burper. That seems to be a handy talent for a newborn to have!

Catchya 'round!

Juliette

Hey everyone

Hope everyone is doing ok, is still going really well here.

Mason has put himself on a diet now, have told him he doesnt have a weight problem but he doesnt believe me lol!
    Was draining bottle after bottle overnight and now wont finish them, which means not enough fluid and he will get blocked up again, cant win really!
    He is having a massive sleep tonight, so dont know if he will sleep real well later.
    Cant believe in 2 days he will be a month old, gone so quick really.

Juliette: Congrats on graduating over to the next thread, will see you there soon

Shannon: Hope all turns out ok for the next lot of tests.
    Also glad you mentioned babylove nappies were crap i was looking at them the other day at shops.
    Sounds like Brielle and Luke could be a cute couple of parents lol

Megan: Glad you found something that worked out for you in relation to the leaks.

Also on the head control thing, Mason is the same, and yes they are very hard to burp when they are fighting to throw themselves back. And thanks for the info that these strong babies could be mobile early Shannon, aaaaahhhhhhh, like knowing where they are when i leave them for as long as possible thanks

Well anyway

Take care
    Belinda

*Megan* Guest

Shannon - mmmm sleep - what's that??

I just learnt something from your last post! A growth spurt happens at 3 weeks! Perhaps that is why Finlay appears to be feeding more often?

Megan

Hi everyone,

I have finally got rid of the headache. It helped I got another good nights sleep last night. Erykah fed at 22:30 then again at 2am then not until 6:30 she then slept till 11 which allowed me to do some housework.

We have been out for a walk now that I no longer get pain from my stiches. She seems to like the pram which is good.

I am not looking forward to the growth spurt in wks 3 and 6 or 12 for that matter. I feel I am feeding her constantly during the day. 3 feeds so far today since 11am now 14:20.

I am using huggies nappies and find so far that they have not leaked.

Anyway best get on before Erykah wakes up

Jo

Well that could explain it then Shannon about him feeding great then tapering off again, thanks
    Well nappies are back to normal it seems with new formula, but am thinking i didnt miss them at all over the last couple of weeks!
    I am still seriously considering having another one, thought it was all just happy hormones after i had Mason, but the feeling is still there. Plus i have always felt bad that Luke was always by himself growing up, he is so social and gets so lonely on his own. But i have to consider an age gap, cant have it too big because of hubby being older than me, dont want him not to be able to keep up with a broad of kids lol. Havent told hubby my thoughts on this yet either lol, he might say no way.
    Otherwise all is going well, Mason is pretty much sleeping 11 hours with a feed in the middle at 2am that hubby does, and didnt wake me up till 8am this morning so cant complain about that.

Also meant to say thanks Shannon on bringing up the 4 wks versus 1 month, i was looking at calender yesterday and thinking how come it didnt work out for a month tommorow, DOH lol, keep telling ppl he is a month tommorow but he isnt.

Well thats all from me
    Take care
    Belinda

*Megan* Guest

Woo Hoo Brooke! Great to see you here! Can't wait to catch up properly on how you are going. I have had trouble bfeeding too - but we seem to be gettng better every day...

Write when you can - can't wait to here all about the birth! How are you feeling after it?

Megan

Hi all

Well we have had a good day.

Yesterday I started correcting something we started which was we were cuddling Erykah to sleep but realised through a book I am reading and also my mum that she should be able to settle herself to sleep.

Thing is we hate hearing her cry. I am slowly getting used to the it but we were not really letting her cry before this and so she didn't really have a voice.

Anyway I got her to sleep yesterday at 6pm she slept till 10pm then was asleep by 11pm after a feed. She woke at 3.15am for a feed then took a while to settle near 5am. She then slept until 10:30am and even then I had to wake her. She then went down at 11:30 until 2pm.

She is getting quicker at settling herself she has just managed it in 5 mins.

She has not been feeding as often today unlike yesterday but my god my nipples are like drips. Drive me mad leaking and squirting all over the place. No one warns you about it. Feel like a cow sometimes with enough milk for Victoria! hehe.

Anyway I am going to get going as there is a programme on UKTV I want to watch so hope all have an relatively easy night

Love

Jo

Welcome Brooke Sounds like you have a good support system going there, it certainly helps when you do.

Shannon, poor you having to be out of the house at that hour! Hope all goes well for the tests

Had a pretty good day today, took Luke and Mason to the library, didnt realise how cold it was today though, the wind was like ice! But the library was nice and warm, Mason slept the whole time so that was good. Was going to walk to shop from library but ditched idea as it was just too cold. I was rushing to get Mason into car and out of cold and Luke said he is dressed in a warmer outfit than you mum, and i thought your probally right lol.

Otherwise all is still going great, really have to break the habit of him sleeping in my arms too, but not ready yet, making 6 wks the deadline, will see how i go with sticking to it though

Take care
    Belinda

Hi all

Erykah has mastered self settling and I have noticed she seems to sleep longer when she does self settle. I do still cuddle her for a short while after breastfeeding but not until she falls asleep.

I found during the night feeds if I cuddled her to sleep then put her in the bassinet she would wake quite quickly and need settling again making me more tired.

I have joined a nappy recycle service today and am well impressed with it. I get a bin which is collected fortnightly and then I can recycle nappies, contents, baby wipes, nappy bags, cotton wool to name a few. Makes me feel better about the environment anyway. All for $9.60 a fortnight.

Well it is a lovely day so once Erykah wakes I will take her for a long stroll in the pram. It is no doubt cold out there but the sun is out.

Shannon - how is Jess's Jaundice? Erykah's does not seem to be clearing yet even though she feeds and wets nappies regular. They do say lay them in a sunny window with little on but here in Melbourne surely its too cold even with the ducted heating on. I do sit her in a sunny window when she is sleeping but she has clothes and blankets on the only part showing is her face.

Jo

Hey everyone

Shannon: Poor little thing having to go through the blood tests Hope all else goes well.
    Jo: Great that you have your baby settling well and have found it suits you, can understand tiredness and an unsettled baby dont mix well

I agree with you Shannon on the cuddling to sleep, i must admit we done the same with Luke and he is a great sleeper, i would rather take ten minutes cuddling him than listening to him cry for ages. Have worked out one thing though that he needs to settle, he needs to grip my fingers, so put a teddy tail in my fingers place and it seemed to work when i put him down in bassinet earlier, didnt wake back up.
    New formula seems to be working fine, another stinky nappy to deal with today, but like i said i really didnt miss them at all!
    Went to Mooloolaba this morning with Luke and Mason and what a beutiful day it is, had breakfast across from the beach and went for a walk, the ocean was beautiful today, reminds me of why i moved here Live 5 min drive from there and i really should get in there more often.

Otherwise thinking i will be having a few bourbons later, been wanting one for a few days now

Have a good weekend everyone
    Take care
    Belinda

Stormi Guest

Hi everyone,

I suppose I graduate to here now? How exciting! Here are my details to add to the list :

Forum Name: Stormi
    State: NSW
    Baby's DOB: 16th June 05
    Baby's Stats: Weight - 3090 gm /6lb 12oz Length - 49cm Head Circ - 34cm
    Gender of Baby: Girl
    Baby Name(s): Makenzie Rose
    Baby's Website: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/threecherubs/
    Health Concerns: (e.g. eczema, reflux, colic)
    Notes: (e.g. 9 days early, breech etc.) C/S

Welcome Stormi and Makenzie

Welcome Brooke and Maya

Jo - I'd also love the details on the recycling service if possible?

Shirmona - just letting you know that I have added your details straight to the one month thread.

Hey everyone

Graduation day for us today as well, see you over in the next thread soon

Stormi Guest

Hi all,

Well thinks have been going pretty well with Makenzie - until last night. She's been a pretty good baby, she doesn't cry that much and when she does it's mosty because she's hungry and settles really well after that.

Anyway, last night she had a feed - my boob was pretty full (she only feeds one side per feed normally) and she had a big feed, then DH gave her a bath. I then dried her and dressed her and sat down at the computer with her and she did THE biggest projectile vomit. We were both soaked, I swear half a cup of milk came up. I spoke to my friend who is a midwife and she said it was probably the bath as you are not meant to bath them after a feed, you should do it before, as bathing afterwards tends to make them vomit for some reason. So I calmed down after this.

Then this morning, about ten minutes ago, she was back in her bassinet after having a feed at about 5.45am. She was awake, just laying there happily checking things out, then I hear this noise and turn around and she's projectile vomited again - I know it was projectile because it ended up halfway down the end of the bassinet, near her legs. The weird thing is she had a feed between these two feeds and she was fine. Both times she's been sick it's after having fed on my left side.

So anyway, now I'm stressing out as I'm worried about what would happen if she vomits in her sleep (as she sleeps on her back) and also if maybe it's reflux. My first baby had reflux, he didn't projectile though, but that was bad enough.

Other than that, things are going well. Her cord stump thing fell off yesterday and my 6 year old was really excited that she now had a real belly button. I'm still not used to having a girl. At least I've stopped calling her "he" and "him". 6 year old watched her have her nappy changed a couple of days ago and asked where her willy was lol.

Hope everyone's well and not too sleep deprived.

Stormi Guest

Brooke - Hang in there, it will get easier. My first was a shocker of a baby and I never thought I'd get through those first few weeks but I did (and survived and had more kids LOL). Broken sleep or sleep deprivation certainly takes it's toll. I think that is the hardest part - you can deal with the crying and unsettledness IF you aren't too tired. Just have a cry whenever you feel like it - don't feel you have to be "brave" and hide your emotions or not ask for help. Biggest mistake I made with my first baby - not asking for help because I'd be seen as a "failure". How stupid was I.

Riley has tongue tie (as does DH). Riley never had to be treated for it because his tongue isn't too bad, he can poke it out a bit. Fixing it is pretty easy, they just snip the frenulum.

I've found I've been really emotional lately, and it's usually stupid things that set me off. Like yesterday, we were going out, and I was last to try and get ready - so had my shower and was trying to find clothes that fit me and stressing over how huge and floppy my belly was still. We were meant to be leaving at 11.30am and of course it was 11.45am and I still hadn't dried my hair and then DH was just standing there and I just blurted out "I'm going as fast as I can" and burst into tears and he was like "why are you so upset?". It's not like he was telling me to hurry up or anything. Then he dropped Cooper to school this morning and came home and said he'd had a minor accident in the car and I of course started crying.

Anyway, better go, DH will be back with Macca's soon.

Brooke big *HUGS* to you.

Really hope you get some sleep soon.
    I would feed on demand it might help you a bit more.

Stormi Guest

Hi all,

Brooke - maybe Maya and Makenzie swapped last night, as I had a bad night with her lol. Glad you got some sleep though, makes a huge difference.

As for demand feeding - in hospital I was told to not to let her go more than 3-4 hours in the day without a feed and 5 hours at night. But she had mild jaundice and was sleepy and not waking for feeds, so they told me to make sure I wake her.

When I had Riley, he used to sleep a few hours at night - like at least 6 hours, often more, from day one. I was worried about this but the home midwife told me not to wake them at night for feeds. As long as they have had at LEAST 6 feeds in 24 hours, then it's fine. So if you are feeding them every couple of hours in the day, and they've had their minimum 6 feeds, then it's okay for them to go longer, so I was told. That said, I normally don't let Makenzie go much past 4 hours or so, but if she slept more in the night I doubt I'd wake up to feed her lol. She's been feeding every 2.5 hours or so yesterday (including last night) - not sure if she's having a growth spurt.

She hasn't vomited again since the previous morning. DH took Riley to the doctors yesterday so he asked my GP about it and she said just to keep an eye on it to see if it keeps happening. She said if she's settled and not crying and stuff it's probably nothing - could be something I ate or she overstuffed herself etc.

So how is everyones belly looking? DH actually told me I could go and have a tummy tuck!!! I was stressing because my belly is still pretty big but over the caesar wound there is like serious overhang! I'm thinking if it's like that now, when my belly shrinks more I'm gonna have this overhang down to my knees lol. My uterus always takes longer to shrink back to size than most peoples so hopefully that's why my belly is still rather big (or perhaps it's all that chocolate). I want to start walking for exercise but it's been raining since I came home from hospital so that makes it a bit hard. I'm still wearing maternity pants (and daggy track pants lol).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast