Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, June '05

Shannon, hope things have settled down a bit with Jessalyn's reflux now? Poor little thing. How scary for you! When do you next see the MCHN? LOL @ your 'forests'/legs. IKWYM! I'm the same with it being so cold down here in Tassie. I actually meant to shave before I went into labour but didn't get a chance to with the induction happening so suddenly LMAO!

Megan, sometimes Kynan sleeps a lot during the day as well. Changes a lot though... sometimes he is up and wanting a feed every 2 hours (and he sometimes feeds for 1.5 hours at a time! LOL).

Belinda, that's great that the drops are working!

Juliette, wow that's a great routine that Hannah's settling into! I'm hoping that Kynan starts to settle into a routine soon too (but not a 2 hourly one LOL!).

At our last visit, the CHN mentioned that we'd most likely find that Kynan would start 'waking up' and becoming more alert as his due date came around. Well, his due date was on Friday (wow... and he's over 2wks old already!) and he's certainly becoming a lot more alert and demanding LOL! He has been wanting to BF all day! Becomes nearly impossible to get anything done. Didn't get to eat breakfast until nearly 1pm LOL.

*Megan* Guest

Angel - I know how you feel not having bfast till nearly 1pm!! We are like that in our house as well...I just don't know where the time goes!

Thanks for all of the info girls on the sleep - I am a little nervous that something might be wrong with him sleeping, but feel assured now that you all have the same thing happening with your newborns!

How are everyone's baby bellies! Mine has gone thank god - but my beel button has now turned into an outey! I didn't have one before to speak of so this has been strange...

Hope that you are all sleeping OK..

Megan

My belly has disappeared quite quickly (thankfully!). Still not gone completely though, tiny bit of a bump remaining but I really should be doing some exercises to tone things up. My belly button is weird though... it's turned into this huge crater like thing LMAO. Very strange.

Oops gotta go... Kynan's hungry AGAIN! LOL.

Hey everyone

Well think i have sorted out connection problems but we will see.

Can relate to the crater belly button thing, my stomach has gone down quick too but still have that floppy bit around belly button, but exercise can wait till i have the energy!

Also for those who have their bedside lamps on i got sick of mine being so bright so i put it under my bed, so now it just lights the room enough to see and we can sleep.

We are still going pretty well, and call me crazy but i am thinking about another one! Think i lost some brain cells in pregnancy! I wouldnt even go there this early of course but yeah cant believe two weeks after it all that i am even considering it.

Cant believe how well it is all going though and i am coping will it all great, so happy that its nothing like the first time around.

Glad to see some of the babies are getting a nice sleeping routine down, the others who arent they will get there soon enough.

Mason is having a bit more awake time now too but depends on the day, he is fascinated by my hair and just stares at it, the reflection of the light on it is what gets him with it.

Well nothing much else happening here so will catch up later

take care
    Belinda

I too have a crater-like belly button now. It's weird. Still have a floppy baby belly just above my scar, but I'm hoping that will disappear with a bit of exercise. I almost have my waist back, which is good. It's gonna take a lot longer to sort out the excess fat on my bum and thighs though (I put on over 30kg in pg - though some of it was the fluid from the PE). Oh well. It's all for a good cause!

OMG Belinda @ you thinking about another one!!! I can't even contemplate it atm, but I know eventually we will (we want 4 kids). Glad to hear the second time around is better (gives me hope).

Hannah had the most shocking night last night. Grrrrrrr....just when I thought we had things down pat, she goes and changes on me! Do you girls find that there is a certain time in the day when your bubs are more grumpy? Like early evening? Hannah is starting to become really impossible at around 5pm, lasting sometimes until 10pm. She's just inconsolable and irritable despite having a clean nappy, and being well fed. I don't seem to be able to help her bring up any wind either.

How do you girls find that you are coping with bubs crying? It really gets to me. Not because I'm irritated by the sound - that doesn't bother me - but because sometimes I can't figure out why she's so upset, and that makes me upset. I know that little babies cry, but I find it heart wrenching when I can't do anything to aleviate whatever is upsetting her...

Must tell you girls, I also am with you on the belly button crater - eekk!! It goes lovely with my stretchmarks - not! Oh well, you are right Juliette - it is all for a good cause.

Wanted to tell you that as babies get older, they do cry more. I definitely found this. Check out THIS thread and we have a big chat about it. Might give you some ideas.

I tend to think that they get more teary at the end of the day because they are tireder. IKWYM about hearing them makes you upset, it is hard when you can't do anything to help them.

The best advice I received was to try and put them down as soon as you see tired signs so they don't get overtired and don't over stimulate them. Anyway, give that thread a read.

Also I love Pinky McKays book - 100 ways to calm the crying and she also has a website.

How is everyone else going?

*Megan* Guest

Hi Everyone

MMM - the belly button thing is strange - glad that I am not alone!

I am finding the lack of sleep hard ATM as Finlay likes to get up in the night and play and comfort suck which is really challenging when you are sleep deprived.

Juliette - IKWYM about bubs changing the routine! Finlay has recently done that to me as well.....

His feeding is also changing - for those of you that have had bubs before, is this normal?

Hope that everyone else is doing OK and not too tired...

Megan

Belinda, OMG @ thinking of another one already!! I must admit, I miss being pg and would like another bub eventually but I'm not even letting DH anywhere near me just yet LMAO!

Juliette, I so KWYM about the excess fat on your bum LOL. I tried to put on my pre-pg jeans yesterday thinking they'd fit as I don't have much of a belly left, but I think I've stacked on some weight around my bum and hips so I still couldn't do them up LOL! I get upset when Kynan cries (when he gets really worked up esp with the reflux). I just find it really distressing not knowing what to do for him and I find it so hard to think when he's screaming like that.

Shannon, oh I noticed your other post about Jessalyn's jaundice. Kynan's still a bit jaundiced as well. The CHN told us to pop him naked in the sunlight for a while when we can (which is difficult down here as it's raining so much!) but it's nothing major to worry about. LOL @ the nose spews dissolving the snot. I have the opposite problem with K - his nose spews create huge globs of snot LOL!

Megan, the lack of sleep is a huge thing isn't it!! I'm having trouble coping with that as well. Keeping Kynan completely upright for 30mins after a feed helps his reflux but that's so hard to do at night when I'm extra tired. How's the BF going?

Shannon - LOL at all the snot comments! That's a very positive view to take! Poor kid though. Babies are snuffly at the best of times and having a cold is just horrible for the poor mite.

Angel - I actually gave away my jeans (they were size 9 before pg, and now I don't think I'd even fit a 14/16 pair owing to these enormous thighs and bum!) I figure I'll treat myself to a new set of clothes if I ever get back there! I'd be more than happy being size 12 I think.

Hope you're getting some more sleep there Megan? Lack of sleep would have to be the number one challenge of being a mummy of a newborn, with a close second being the crying-for-no-apparent-reason.

I managed to have a nap for an hour with Hannah this arvo which made all the difference. She's been awake and grumpy for most of the day, and I was starting to lose it a little. Am feeling a little better now. I went to a morning tea with the local ABA group. Met some nice mums - though the conversation was mostly about toilet training and I don't even want to think about that for a little while!

Hannah has some little pimples on her face atm. How long are they supposed to last? Are they sore for her? They look red and I imagine they must be a little sore. Is there anything I can put on them? What causes them??

Hey everyone

Really tired tonight so will just do a quick catch up, took me awhile to read the posts
    Yes i agree i am mad at my next child thoughts lol, but i have not let hubby anywhere near me yet anyway He mentions it quiet a lot though!
    I dont miss being pregnant though, its way too long for me

Shannon sounds like your having fun with the spew time there, hope the cold clears up soon, and understand what you mean about the animals inside, my mother in law used to be the same and i didnt like taking Luke there much.

In relation to the crying, i remember Luke used to start around 5pm and cry for hours, used to drive me mental with frustration so understand the feelings there. We tried walking him around the house in the pram and laying him on his dads chest, but at the end of the day they just grow out of it i think. As long as you know that they have had everything they need try not to stress too much about it, easy to say though!

Took Mason to baby nurse today and found out he is not getting enough fluid in his day and thats why he is probally constipated, as he was sleeping from 9pm till 3am. Going to now wake him for a feed in the middle before i go to bed and give him water if he will have it during the day. He has put on half a kilo though so he isnt doing too bad. He was great today we were out all afternoon and he slept the whole time with everyone fussing over him.

Meant to add earlier that Mason also has little pimples on his face and head, sure they are harmless.

Well anyway
    Take care
    Belinda

*Megan* Guest

Hi Everyone

Angel - the BF is getting better...we still need a little bit of help though, or maybe I have too high expectations as I would like him to attach properly first go without all of the fussing! He attaches better on one side then the other - it's not perfect - but we are slowly making progress! I am going to a BF clinic in the morning at the Child Health Centre so will hopefully get some more assistance there...how are you doing with BF? I did try the football hold - no luck!

Juliette - I am going to an ABA meeting next week and am looking forward to it! Finlay doesn't cry a lot. Infact he doesn't cry at all unless he is really hungry and I'm not moving fast enough!

Shannon - LOL at the spews...we have only had one sick episode thus far.....I have probably spoken too soon now....

All is well here, I have my fingers crossed for some sleep tonight - but our little man slept for 5.5 hours in a row today, so the odds aren't looking good!

Keep well everyone...

Megan

Sounds like Jessalyn is going well with the weight gain, hopefully her belly button clears up soon for you. Shame you cant use the betadine but better to be safe i guess.

All is ok here, decided to buy a sample pack of the regular Karicare instead last night and found with a few bottles of that he is hungrier than on the gold but means his fluids are going up. So thinking i will try the regular for four feeds and two gold feeds, but not sure if mixing it up will cause problems, all trial and error though i guess.

Otherwise its a miserable day here weather wise so making me tired!

Take care
    Belinda

*Megan* Guest

Shannon - hope that Jessalyn is feeling better soon....are light colour poos bad??

No - I don't freehold when feeding (not that skillful yet!) and the pain has gone away, but apparently I have flat nipples!! We are now feeding OK - but I had a visit with a nurse today who told me that he still needs to gain weight as he is still a little under his birth weight....this makes me a bit sad as I thought that we were starting to get things together.....we also have to start feeding him every 3 hours (instead of letting him sleep which is what I have been doing) so we are feeding more often, so hopefully this will make a difference.

Hope that everyone else is doing OK - I had a big cry this morning over the feeding. I think that it is just a combination of being so tired and extreme frustration with the situation. Feel OK now - so onto the new routine of 3 hourly feeds...

talk to you all soon

Megan

Hi Girls,

Saw the CHN again today. Hannah has put on 360g this week (same as last week). I am glad you can't overfeed a breastfed baby - otherwise I'd be starting to worry. She's having a grumpy afternoon again today, but I'm ok with that as long as she sleeps as well as she did last night! She let her mummy sleep from 930pm - 230am, and then until 530am....after which she had cuddles in mummy's bed until 7am.

Megan, it sounds like you guys are starting to get things together...keep up the good work. I had such a hard time in the first week and a bit with bf - it can be sooooo tricky, especially after a c-section. I ended up hysterical on the phone to an ABA counsellor one night and she was so great. Inspired me to keep going, and now I can actually say that I enjoy bf, and the pain is (almost) gone. Hopefully feeding every 3 hours will help little Finlay to put on some more weight....I had to do that with Hannah during the day too for a little while - though now she wants to feed every 2 hours or so. Chin up! It sounds like you're doing a great job.

Yay for Jessalyn's weight gain Shannon! Hope she sleeps a little better tonight, and that you can get to the bottom of the belly button thing.

Belinda...sounds like Mason is doing really well, half a kilo is great. Pretty miserable day here as well. Though it's nice to have our tanks filled.

Juliette: Glad that you are enjoying your feedings more now

Isnt it sad when the general conversation in your home is about poo or the lack of it!

Had a pretty good day today, although i wasnt happy with the screaming this morning when i was tired. Got some housework and washing done though so i count that as a good day with him. He is fighting sleep really bad now though, end up just holding him tight so he cant fidget about to keep himself awake.
    He played with his activity gym for the first time today so that was cool, he has been just staring at the toys but today he started hitting them so they would move.
    Pixie photos are stalking me! They will not stop ringing me to make an appointment! How many times do you have to tell them i dont want to do the photos till he is smiling in the damn things, if they ring me again after i have asked them not too i will tell them i used somebody else because they didnt listen to me!
    School holidays started here today so 3 wks with 2 kids, that should be interesting, but one good thing is no loading everyone into the car every morning for that time.

Well anyway take care
    Belinda

Had a crap night last night. I'm sure you don't want to hear it, so feel free to ignore this post.

Tim wanted to go late night shopping (we haven't bought groceries in ages). I was nervous about upsetting Hannah's routine, but could really see the need to shop. So we went. OMG....what a mistake-a-ta-make-a.

She was fine at the shops in the hugabub (love my hugabub - couldn't live without it).

Then we got home and OMG it was ON!!!! She fed, screamed, fed, screamed some more (going purple in the face, tears streaming down her face - the whole works). She screamed pretty much solidly from 9pm until 1pm only stopping to assault my nipples (she got really agressive with them - clamping down and pulling them). Then she woke up every hour screaming. Now my nipples are sore, and I am tired and grumpy and doubting my ability to be a mother. I just can't stand the crying. I tried everything and nothing worked. In the end I had to leave her in her basinette, and just have my hand on her, letting her know I was there, listening to her scream while my heart broke - but it got to the point where I couldn't pick her up - I didn't want to touch her. There was nothing I could do. I feel so sorry for Hannah having an incompetent mother like me. She really lucked out there.

I think I'll just sit here and bawl. I feel so stupid thinking I could do this.

Oh Juliette, big huge hugs to you darling! You are not an imcompetent mother, we all feel the way you do at different times of our bubs lives. Sometimes you just can't stop a baby from crying, I think you did a wonderful job of trying to console her. Today is a new day, and being tired cos you had a big night with Hannah doesn't help you feeling down. Try to get some sleep when she goes down and you will feel better.

I remember with my 4th getting so angry/annoyed/upset with her cos she wouldn't sleep that I told her where to go! LOL I can laugh now but at the time I felt terrible. I got DH to take her cos I just needed to sleep.

I hope she settles today and that she has a good night tonight and try hard to get some rest and relax, and remember you can do it and you are a terrific mother!
    Best wishes Michelle

*Megan* Guest

Oh Juliette - I am so sorry to hear about your bad night. You are NOT a bad mother, you are a wonderful mother to your little girl!! I know that it is hard at times (I find it hard too) but hang in there.....I'm sure that it gets better. Other more expereinced mums will be able to shed more light then me, but sending you BIG hugs....

I hear you with the sore nipples....

Megan

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast