Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, October/November '05

just a quick one for me now.

kristie i have been expressing milk since 2 1/2 weeks. i even went out this morning and my mum babysat (it was soooo hard).

welcome to the new mums,

will write more later....

How do your boobs go missing a feed?

HI girls, sorry I have been such a stranger lately but with all the visitors and trying to get some sleep when I can i just dont get a chance to get on the computer at the moment.

All is going well with Victoria, she is putting on heaps of weight which is great and I seem to have sorted out the nipples. I just cant believe how hard the whole breatfeeding business is, you just assume its easy.

I started expressing today, only a 60mls so far but I am getting so full sometimes that I thought I would give it a try expressing a bit before and after I feed her, not much, just enough to make me comfy and i have felt heaps better today.

How is everyone storing the EBM? Are you freezing it in the bottles or putting it in something else?
    I tried to give Tori a little bit by bottle lastnight and boy did she get into a mess, it went everywhere. I think its important to get her used to it though for when DP wants to have her on his day off. I probably wont do that for a while still though (leave her with dad) I'm so worried she will get confused, I'm probably being silly but yeah! At the moment though she is just coming into work with me, i can have her in the bouncinette(sp?) in the office and feed her whenever, the patients dont mind at all. I'm very lucky i can do that though, my boss is fantastic, she bfed her two so she understands.

Gotta go, Tori is calling me for another feed, I feel like a coz today, constantly being milked coz its so hot at the moment and she is thirsty all day!

Speak to you all soon!!

Cindy - you should get your DH to give her the EBM once she accepts it... as I've been forced to use bottles (either EBM or formula) for top-ups, my DH gives it to him, and I love watching it as I know DH is getting the same eye-contact and bonding with Dylan as I get when I feed him - it's lovely!

My milk is still being slow coming through - when I express between feeds I only get about 20 ml out. I guess it will build up in the next day or so...

The hospital midwife is coming out tomorrow to make sure Dylan's weight is still ok (he lost too much at first then gained some back and today was stable... they don't want him to go back down again.)

How much is a good amount of expressed breast milk to freeze at this age?? I would assume about 100ml maybe to be on the safe side??

Hi guys. After three and a half months of expressing milk every 3-4 hours a day, I feel like I'm somewhat of an expressing queen/dairy bar. When I was starting out down the expressing path, the midwives/lactation consultants linked with the NICU suggested I freeze the milk in feed size portions to make defrosting easy. If you've got an abundant supply I guess it matters less whether you waste some when defrosting.

The general guide for deciding how much milk a baby needs is 150mls per kilo of body weight per day. So, if your baby is say 4kg, (s)he needs 600mls per day. If you do 6 feeds (four hourly) per day then each feed works out on average to be about 100mls and if doing 8 feeds per day (ie 3 hourly) then each feed works out to be approx 75mls. The Australian Breast Feeding Assoc website has some great info about expressing and storing expressed breast milk (eg how long you can store it, how to strore it etc).

Gus's still screaming his little lungs out day and night. Tresillian on Thursday couldn't really do much for him. We're heading there again for another day stay on Monday. They've also referred us onto the next level of help - the 5 day room-in program where they watch the baby's cycle 24 hours a day between Monday and Friday. Unfortunately this program is very popular so we can't get in until the end of November which seems AGES away. We're waitlisted for an earlier cancellation. Can't imagine how beside ourselves with exhaustion we'll be if things don't improve and we end up needing to wait until late Nov.

Have been recommended a video called the Baby Whisperer by a friend. Has anyone heard of it/seen it?

Have been really struggling this week with everything. Sleeping for a max of 20-30 mins at a time is just not cutting it. Don't get into deep enough sleep for it to actually seem restorative before I'm woken to crying. As a result I've been weepy and short tempered. Blaahhh. My darling girlfriend who lives in Adelaide (works full time and is a mum to a 2yo girl herself) is flying up to stay with us next week to help me manage things. Can't wait to see her and to have her help. What a sweetheart she is! Makes me teary thinking about how generous and sweet she is.

Wheatie, Thanks for the tip re Losec. As far as prescription meds go, we've only tried Zantac so far. The neo-natologist did mention Losec at the time he was prescribing Zantac - but I'd forgotten about it subsequently. I think he also mentioned that the usual recommendation by the drug authority is for the baby to have a gastroscopy prior to Losec being prescribed. He said he personally didn't feel it was necessary to carry out such invasive testing in every case, in spite of the drug authority's recommendation. Did Lucie have to have a gastroscopy first?

Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed. I've been typing this in bits and pieces over a couple of hours with a screaming baby next to me. :-#

Kirsty - you poor thing! Here I am feeling sorry for myself that Dylan woke evry 1-2 hours last night, but that's unusual for him... maybe he's just unsettled as it was our first night home. I have the book of "The Baby Whisperer" but haven't had a chance to read it yet... let us know if the video helps you.

I still don't know if Dylan is getting enough from me as I can't feel the let-down even though it must be happening... how long should I try to settle him for after a feed before sticking him back on the milk bar? Last night it would take up to an hour to get him to sleep, then he'd sleep for an hour and wake up again. Is this normal at this stage??

Kirsty - I'm so sorry to hear that poor Gus is so unsettled. You must be so exhausted. Without any good sleep it just makes it so much harder to deal with also! Hopefully you can get some answers/solutions soon.

Donella - I'm sure your boy is getting enough milk. I can't feel any real letdown either but theirs plenty there. On the occassion that I wasn't sure when he'd finished I'd just try and hand express some and there was alway plenty more! He'd just had enough. Sometimes Louis takes that long but I just keep putting him down, walking away and then come back in if he starts to get teary. I had one really bad day with him when he just wouldn't settle so now I try the dummy. He doesn't take it everytime but it helps him when he's cranky for no reason (well, he's got a clean bum, been fed and had a burp) Is Dylan good at bringing up his wind?? I know I didn't realise how important that was at the beginning and it has made a world of difference making sure he brings up his burp before putting him down. Admittedly he doesn't burp everytime but he's usually so out of it sleep wise that you know he must be o.k.

Anyway, not sure if any of that helps. I'm certainly no expert. We're all just trying to feel our way through I think! Try and get some rest if he has a good day sleep. I know the first 2 weeks for me were really difficult and now it's getting a lot better. I think you just start to relax a little and get to know your baby a bit better, and you're confidence starts to grow a little.

hi everyone,

i havent posted much in the last few days but i have popped in and caught up with what is going on for you all.

kirsty - i am really feeling for you. i wish i was nearby to come and help. it is great that your friend is coming to help you, even having someone else there to share in the emotions will be a big help apart from the practical help. i hope you get into tresillian sooner.

kristie - i have been freezing about 100ml of milk, that seems to be about what emma takes most of the time (but im really playing it by ear so far too!)

donella - i agree it is a good idea to get DH to give the expressed milk, also because i think emma can smell my milk if i try to give her the bottle and she fusses more cause she wants the real thing!

gotta go - will finish the personals later.

hope you are all well

Kirsty I'm so sorry to hear whats happening. Matilda was extremely unsettled & we went to a 5 day stay program in Brissy really similar to Tresillian and it was helpful. She was feeding every 2 hours for a minimum of 45 minutes and sometimes vomitting the lot up right afterwards & usually screaming for one of those hours before I finally gave in and would try to feed her again. We had a rough 10 weeks before we went in. And our GP felt the same about the gastro surgery, he said to wait & if Matilda lost weight and got to the low end of "normal" he would consider having a look and seeing what was happening. I didn't want her to have anything invasive at all and luckily we didn't have too. But Matilda did settle down after 3 weeks on Zantac and Mylanta.

*hugs*

Hi Kirsty - We started iff with 1-2ml of Mylanta prior to feeding (which we sometimes still do) and then moved onto Losec but didn't require anything except the script from the paed. I've just switched to a special thick formula called Karicare AR which I think is helping. Maybe talk to your doc - if you are expressing I think you can get some thickner stuff you add. It seeems to sit in their tummy better. Also I've stopped using the Avent bottles as Lucie was sucking in heaps of air down the sides cos she has a pretty small mouth. All this was recommended by a nurse (friend of a friend) who works for a place in Brissie like Tressilians. Good luck - you poor thing!

Kazzy Guest

Hi All,

Kirsty - I am really thinking of you - you are really having a tough time at the moment. I am sure that you are already getting plenty of great advice with settling techniques - unfortunatley the thing about babies with colic is that settling is not always the issue, but just the cycle that they get into. When I am not at home on maternity leave, my profession is actually a parent educator - I advise parents on sleeping, feeding, behaviour issues to do with children aged birth through to primary school. One book that I always refer parents to is one called 'sleep right, sleep tight' produced by Tweddle CHild and Family Services in Melbourne - I have found the information invaluable - they also have a video that goes with it - do a google search on the name Tweddle sleep and it should bring up their site - you can order thier publications online or maybe your library can get you a copy. I have heard of the baby whisperer and have also had some of my clients say it is excellent. I think that even though Gus has colic, using the same settling techniques will only make it easier for you in the long run when his colic disappears - and it will. The hardest thing is knowing what is the right thing to do and how long should we perservere - these books give us a realistic expectation. I am thinking of you - this won't last forever - easy to say when your not going thru it but atleast by trying these new methods, you are setting Gus up to be an easy settler later on down the track.

If you can't find the book, let me know and I will type up some tips and email them to you if you like.

Big Hugs to you - Kazzy

Hi All!

Any ideas on getting the little darlings to sleep in their cots? Benjamin is sleeping in his pram but is growing length ways at the moment, and isn't going to fit in there much longer. I can't seem to be able to put him down without being screamed at. Is it ok to let them scream/cry? My sister in-law said it won't hurt him, but I have my concerns and I have very nice neighbours that I don't want to make enemys of.

Kristy - hope you find some answers to your problems and that Gus feels better soon. It's all a big learning curve, which at times is trying on our patience, but there is always someone out there who knows what we are going through and can give us some helpful advice or at least point us in the right direction.

Melissa

Melissa - I have the problem that Dylan won't sleep in a cot or a bassinette or a pram!!

He'll only sleep if he's in a semi-upright position. As soon as we lie him down, even if he's sound asleep, within 10 mins he'll be thrashing around and arching his back. I'm thinking it might be a bit of reflux so we're seeing the dr this aftrenoon. At the moment the only way we get thru the night is to take it in shifts sitting on the couch holding him so he's settled while the other parent sleeps. The trouble with this is my dh won't wake me when it's time for my shift, so he'll let me sleep 4 hours then he'll only get 2. ](*,)

Have any of you who had a linea nagra (dark line on belly) lost it yet? Mine is still very dark and I still have my belly hair. I guess it will take a while for the hormones to regulate themselves.

Kirsty - how did you go last night? I can't even imagine how exhausted you must be. Hope Gussy settles down soon for you.

Hi!

What a beautiful day it is in Melbourne! We're getting a new couch delivered today - yeah! The old one was second hand and crap and this one is sooo comfy!

Sorry guys but I actually had a great nights sleep last night - Louis went 5 3/4 hours and then a 4 1/4 hour! Woo hoo! That's the longest he's slept yet so hopefully he's starting to clue on to this night time thing (we'll see how tonight goes anyway!) He still takes a good 1hour to 1h 1/2 to feed and settle though but I can handle that with a good sleep.

We had trouble with him going in his cot as well to start with. The first week home he was either sleeping in his rocker or with us in bed or with us on the couch. Not good. It's amazing what you'll do just to get some sleep!

The maternal health nurse suggested we raise the end of the cot a little so that he is slightly upright. You can put some yellow pages or something under the legs - just make sure it's stable. That helped us heaps. He still definitely has a sook sometimes but it's usually because he has more wind to bring up. I would try and settle him in there when you're not as tired or during the day when you can cope with putting him down a few times. I personally don't let Louis cry very much at all. I'm too much of a sook for that, but I don't pick him up when he's just having a whinge either. Sometimes he does settle himself down after that.

Hope that helps a little.

Donella - I still have the line there. I read somewhere it can take a few months to disappear. Not sure though.

Enjoy the long weekend for those that have it!!

I've been busy organising Benjamin's Christening. The invite list is as long, or if not longer than our wedding invite list.

Kristie - Thanks for the help, I'll give the bed raising thing a go. I might go looking at new couches for something to do this week, we've got a secondhand one too and it's time for a new one here also.

Donella - Benjamin prefers to be snuggled up to me all the time too, and the couch more often than not, is my sleeping spot still.

Melissa

ooohh wow it is such a blessing having you guys to talk to i am also having trouble with the sleeping arrangements in our house.chantelle has also decided the bassinett is not the go and will only sleep with me in our bed,she is 2.5 weeks old and poor dh still has not slept in our bed since we got home,he insists on sleeping on the couch so all can have a good nights sleep.i have to admit that she is great and usually only wakes for one feed/nappy change.but if i try and put her in the bassinett at night all hell breaks loose and she will not settle.it makes me laugh and gives me a sence of releif that i am not the only one struggling with this issue.you girls are a god send.as i said earlier to kristie,we have to just do whatever works i spose.
    nikki

Hello sleep deprived girls!! - I'm in the same boat.

Tristan would not go back to sleep after his feed this morning. He woke at 3am and I was still trying to settle him around 5:30/6am, so superman (DH) came to my rescue and took him to the lounge while I had a sleep. I'm thinking he's not settling because I'm not taking painkillers anymore - hence no painkillers going through breastmilk. I could be wrong.

When we put him down, we try to make him sleep in the bassinette as much as possible. It works most of the time.

Gotta go, the boy needs nappy change and feed. Catch up soon!

Love and hugs to all...................Bonnie

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast