Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: Cramps after D&C

sadwombat Guest

Default Question: Cramps after D&C

Hi,
    I had a D&C 4 days ago and the doctor told me to expect cramping and bleeding for the next 10-14 days. Didn't deem it necessary to prescribe any pain relief - advised to use panadol.

I have had very minimal bleeding but quite severe cramping, especially lower abdominal and back pain. It is uncomfortable to lie flat on my back - feels like my abdomin is pushing up on my stomach and ribs. It has been painful to pee, although this is getting easier, and opening my bowel (only twice and had diarrhoa) has brought tears to my eyes.

I have resorted to taking Endone which has prescribed to me when I was going thru the m/c. I had the D&C because I had a missed m/c and only passed a small portion of the embryonic sac - which I might add was horrific to see so I feel for those who have had to m/c the baby on their own. I was 8 weeks pregnant (had D&C 9 days after estimation of baby's death)

What are other people's experiences after having a D&C.

Thanks

sadwombat - I am so sorry for your loss.
    After my d&c I also had some cramping. I don't think as severe as yours though but believe it affects people differently. I did on the other hand have quite a lot of bleeding and for a long time - had to go for another scan to make sure they got it all. Everything settled down pretty much within a week or so.
    Take it easy and be kind to yourself...

so sorry for your loss sadwombat, I had a missed mc back in aug, had a d&c day after us showed no heartbeat, pain was pretty severe, worse than my worst af, I think I was taking panadeine forte, the hospital gave me some capadex, but only 2 before I left, apparantley they also shoved a voltaren pessary up my bum afterwards too, sorry if tmi!
    hope the pain resolves itself soon, its so not fair to have the emotional pain ontop of the physical pain of losing a baby.
    my heart goes out to you, big hugs.
    xxx

Hi sabwomabt. sorry for your loss. :hugs:

After my m/c i had some light cramping and the dr sent me home with some panadine forte i think. The cramping was never as severe as what you are describing. If it doesnt settle down then go back and see them or give them a call.

As Starrysky said, it is bad enough having to deal with the emotional pain but to have the physical pain on top of that is just crap!!!

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I'll send a cyberhug and keep you in my prayers.

I've never heard of painful urination or bm's as a symptom. I would call the ob.

Hi Sadwombat,

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss.

When I had my missed miscarriage in May 2005, I also had a D & C. I was sent home with no pain relief at all. It was on a Tuesday and all was fine until the Thursday, when I started to have the most excruciating cramps ever. I have always had very painful periods, because I have severe endometriosis, so I am no wuss when it comes to pain, but I've never felt anything this bad. I ended up on the floor in a ball screaming with pain. My DH was scared and rushed to the chemist and beg for some strong pain relief and they gave me some Dolased, which helped a bit, but not much. After about 12 hours of it, I passed a huge clot (sorry if TMI) and everything eased. My OB said it was probably some "retained product" - lovely, isn't it? You'd think if you had to have a D&C they would at least finish the job properly.

I've never gone through labour because my daughter was born via caeserian, but I've often wondered if the cramps I had were similar to labour pains.

I really hope you start to feel better soon, you poor thing. Losing your bubba is bad enough without all the physical side effects. :hugs:

Hi Sadwombat. I had some discomfort after the D&C but nurofen was strong enough to help with that. I think you should call you doctor just in case. Mine told me that if I got strong cramping or fever, than I should call him. I just think it is better to be on the safe side - and the doctor might even be able to give you some stronger pain relief.

So sorry for your loss. The pain after the D&C just seems so cruel given what you are already going through. Take care.

Hi Sadwombat, I am so sorry for your loss...big hugs!

I had a missed m/c back in July and had a D&C the next day, didn't feel any pain just a mild cramps and very little bleeding. But I can definitely relate to you about the pain when you pee, it is so very unbearable especially at night for some reason. At the time, I thought I had Urine attracted infection, but it was all fine..luckily the pain eased off in about 3 days.

Its not the most pleasant thing when you are also going through the emotional hell, so do take care of yourself and hope the physical pain will be gone soon.

sadwombat Guest

Hi everyone,
    Just on a quick visit out from hospital so I thought I would give an update. Everyone has been so kind and helpful thank you so much.
    After I posted my message, I developed a fever so decided to go to our hospital just to be reassured. Turns out a have a huge infection in my uterus! Have been in hospital for 3 days, 4 nights and if I'm luck will be out for good tomorrow morning.

Have had it all now, even a minny meltdown in the hospital!

To top it all off I now have chronic nausea and diahhorea (sorry if TMI!) from all the intravenus antibiotics. Feeling pretty miserable - when will it end!

You have all helped me so much!

Oh, no sadwombat, you poor thing! That sucks! But I am glad you have been properly treated and clear this up, as you often hear those horror stories of uterus infections being ignored with big consequences...so look on the brighter side!

It will probably take a while to get over all the side effects of the treatment, so please be patient and be kind to yourself!

Allow yourself to heal both physically and emotionally, it will be hard but it will get easier, trust me!

Hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by sadwombat View Post
    Hi,
    I had a D&C 4 days ago and the doctor told me to expect cramping and bleeding for the next 10-14 days. Didn't deem it necessary to prescribe any pain relief - advised to use panadol.

I have had very minimal bleeding but quite severe cramping, especially lower abdominal and back pain. It is uncomfortable to lie flat on my back - feels like my abdomin is pushing up on my stomach and ribs. It has been painful to pee, although this is getting easier, and opening my bowel (only twice and had diarrhoa) has brought tears to my eyes.

I have resorted to taking Endone which has prescribed to me when I was going thru the m/c. I had the D&C because I had a missed m/c and only passed a small portion of the embryonic sac - which I might add was horrific to see so I feel for those who have had to m/c the baby on their own. I was 8 weeks pregnant (had D&C 9 days after estimation of baby's death)

What are other people's experiences after having a D&C.

Thanks
    I had alot of cramping after my third miscarriage, the pain was just indescribable but it took a few days to go away - the cramps just get less and less. Its your body's way of healing itself, hopefully you will be better very soon. Once you're better, give yourself time, treat yourself to a break and pamper yourself

It's a good thing you caught that infection! Kudos for not ignoring your symptoms. I hope you feel better real soon.

I just read my previous post. When I said it was good you caught the infection, what I meant was good that you discovered it (NOT that it was good you contracted it). So sorry just having one of those day.

sadwombat. What an awful experience you've had. I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope your journey towards healing treats you kindly.

HH Mama Guest

Hi Sadwombat - i hope you're starting to feel better! I had a D&C in Dec for my first preg, lost at 11 weeks. I had some embedded tissue in my uterus which became infected and 10 days later i had a second D&C - i know the feeling!!! It's awful enough to lose your bubba, have surgery, let alone go back in for some more fun and games!! I hope they've taken care of you and perhaps you can take this time to grieve a little. THough it's completely overwhelming i know! The thing i learned is that you can only take things at your own pace. Don't let ANYONE tell you when or how to grieve.

As a nurse, my thoughts are with you. As a mama with a lost baby, my heart goes out to you SadWombat. Hope all is getting slowly better

Hi
    I'm sorry you are going through such an awful time. I just wanted to send some cyber hugs to you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

sadwombat Guest

Hi,
    Tempus - that is OK, I would have known what you meant but thanks for the clarification anyway.
    HH Mama - what were your symtoms with the embedded tissue before your had the second D/C, if your don't mind sharing.

I have been home 4 days now, feeling OK mostly but getting a lot of pain in back and legs and nausous from the antibiotics I'm still on. 3 days to go and then hopefully I will start to feel better. It's certainly not good for the spirit, being sick after the loss of a baby. How come no one who hasn't experienced a m/c can relate? even those with children?

Never again will I be attempting to have a baby again; I still have to get my 7 cm ovarian cysts resolved so I'm pretty well scarred for life.

Thanks again for your your hugs and prayers, I really appreciate them.

Oh Sad Wombat, I'm so sorry that this has happened to you and your precious baby.

I know what you mean about others not understanding, I felt the same with my own miscarriage. Mine was awful enough, but I can't imagine how terrible you must be feeling after all of these physical issues.

I'm so sad that you feel that this has ended your TTC journey :hugs:. I so hope that you feel better soon and your problems with your ovarian cysts are resolved as quickly as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast