Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HypnoBirthing

Default Hypnobirthing midwives?

This is my first birth, and I'm just trying to sort through the maze of birthing options and procedures, so I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

I am with an obstrician that I'm very comfortable with and booked in to a private hospital for the birth, and next month am doing hypnobirthing classes out of pocket, as my insurance doesn't cover it. My OB is happy with me doing hypnobirthing but is not getting actively involved, nor is the hospital. My approach to hypnobirthing is to immerse myself with it as much as possible to give myself every chance for a drug-free birth, but am willing to use pain relief if I really need it.

I just found out that my insurance (Aust Unity) does cover up to $400 for our own midwife to attend the delivery, plus $70 for pre and post natal visits. I would really value having a midwife there who can support my (very nervous) DH, particularly with the hypnobirthing role he is to play.

Does anyone know how I can find a private midwife who is supportive of hypnobirthing and can help with it if necessary?

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated!

Rollergirl
    Baby #1 due March 07

Hi, I would think most independent midwives are supportive of hypnobirthing. I don't know if Kelly has a midwifery list here, but I think there's a full list on the maternity coalition's website there are also other forums that carry the list too. That would help you find some in your area to talk to.
    Lisa Barrett

shelldar Guest

I noticed that no one has posted in here for a while, so thought I would share my experience, if anyone is interested.

I found the Mongan book when I was pg with my first son (now 3.5) I only had about 4 weeks with the book before I gave birth, but still had a wonderful labour of only about 7 hours, with no drugs whatsoever. I felt so proud of myself, and very empowered.

When I fell pg with my second son, I knew I could do it just as well again. This time my husband got much more involved, and we practiced reading out visualisations together for a few weeks before he was born. The labour was 4 hours, and I did not feel any pain at all, the only thing I felt was the 'ring of fire' as he crowned. My husband later told me he thought I was asleep the majority of time!!

Going through both births feeling so wonderful and strong made me wonder why every woman does not have this experience. So I decided to become a doula, and also to complete the training to become a Calmbirth practitioner. I am so excited, the course starts in March, and I will be travelling up to Bowral to meet Peter Jackson and his wife Sue. I can't wait

I did just want to suggest to those who want to do the classes for your birth, but can not afford them, that maybe you could think about a student to help you out. I am still a student doula, just need one more birth to become qualified, and then I will need to take some couples through Calmbirth aswell. You might find that they will only charge a minimal amount to cover costs, in order to help them finalise their training.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants more information you can contact me on [email protected]

Red face hypnobirthing???

has anyone got any exeriences with this? negative and positive both wanted as i am considering classes??? basically just wanted to know if it helped or not and if u would recomend it or not?

hi Noni - I did hypnobirthing, it was a great benefit, and helped me focus a lot in preparing myself for the birth of Julia, unfortunately after 12 hours of hypnobirthing I was only still 3cm dialated so in the end had the Epi as I was told I would end up having an emergency c/s which I did have to have due to my pelvic bones in the way of her head.

Bel
    xxx

Hi Noni,
    I did hypnobirthing (Calmbirth) with Di Gardner and it was the best thing I have ever done, I think all hospitals should run the course in the ante natal classes. My labour was long...21 hours, but I wouldn't say it was painful - it was hard work but not painful. I did the whole thing completely drug free and felt really well prepared beforehand. My baby was 9lbs 2 1/2 oz and I only had a tiny tear that needed 2 stitches. It was the best money I ever spent! I have the nicest memories of my labour. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Hi there,
    Hope you are feeling better! There are lots of courses you can do - I havent but I also read a book called A Labour of Love by Gabrielle Targett really helpful for information about natural childbirth including hypnobirthing, water birth and active birth. Id highly recommend it!

I did hypnobirthing and I have to say it was the best thing I ever did! Before doing it I was petrified of natural birth. Once I did the first class my fears were almost all gone!! It definitely helped me and I can honestly say that I didn't feel pain with the birth of Oskar, I felt discomfort, but not pain and like Kirsten said, I have the most wonderful memories of his birth and felt a calmness and connection with him before he was even born as they teach you to trust your body and baby and it does connect you. I had to go off my birth plan and have vacuum assist but I did this without drugs and no pain...I say go for it! My birth story is posted here - http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=34704

I went to hypnobirthing classes as well & like the others have found it to be really helpful during labour. I felt so confident going into labour & so at peace with labour, there was no fear involved.

u don't think they are too expensive?? i was quoted 500 it seems alot is it really worth it???

Hi Noni,

This is my first bub- so I don't have any info on the birth - yet!! But I attended calmbirth classes (same as hypnobirthing) in Bowral just a couple of weekends ago and I absolutely loved them. Whilst I wouldn't say I was petrified of birthing before i went to the classes I was definately fearful and very much in denial about learning and reading about birthing for fear of becoming scared.

Since then I have been practicing my breathing and mindfullness and it has brought me so close to my little unborn bub. It has also brought my DH much closer as they really get the dads involved in the classes. He was a bit apprehensive at first but came out loving the weekend.

The best quote I heard over the weekend was this " you don't run a marathon without doing some form of practice beforehand, nor do you even enter the water without knowing something about swimming - so why do we think we can enter birthing without knowing some basics". I feel so much more comfortable with my body and the birthing process that to be honest I can't wait for the birth now!!

Yes - approx $500 is alot but give it really strong consideration as I could not recommend it enough!!

Hope this helps a little......

Default hypnobirthing

Hi!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any hypnobirthing classes/courses avaliable in SA, Around Adelaide? I googled and came up with not much, also found an old post from 2005 which got the reply there wasn't anything like that in SA, but that was 2 years ago now, so.... hoping there might be something around now?

Failing that, book/reading reccommendations?

Thanks!

Linds........when I last checked there was still nothing in SA. There was a trial programme at W&C but I am not sure whether it went forward or not.

Worth giving the W&C a call perhaps?

Other than that, I recommend the Francesca Naish range of CD's......(PM me if you want more details..........)

becmc Guest

I have the Marie Mongan hypnobirthing book-I have found it good to read so far. Not doing as much practice as I should so in that respect classes may be good.
    It is called Hypnobirthing-the Mongan Method.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hynobirthing-...QQcmdZViewItem

I found this copy on ebay if you were wanting second hand. There is a cd that comes with the original but I actually didn't like it and would probably use some quieter nature music instead.

Default Hypnobirthing

I would like to do hypnobirthing for our 3rd bubba. I found a place that does classes, but they are in sydney, which is about 3hrs away from me. I tried to see if there were any in Newcastle but i can't seem to find any. If you were me would you make the trek? I really want to do it, but am unsure if it's...silly i suppose to go all that way for it. The classes are once a week for 4 weeks, at a night time. It's not really that fact its a fair way, but the fact its at night...

Hey Tegan, whilst I can't comment on hypnobirthing (being our first PG and all ) but if you hunt down Yogababy I'm sure she'd have some answers for you ....

There HAS to be another option besides driving 3hrs (possibly six for a round trip) at night, here's hoping someone can help you find it ...

I have just been to my HB class, and I would travel interstate for the experience I had if I had to

Hey Tegan

I am a BirthSkills practitioner (HypnoBirthing) and work with Dr Shari Read
    Home

I am more than happy to answer any HypnoBirthing questions you have...and I have used it personally also,with great success

Shari offers a distance learning package...full program pack sent to you plus phone consults and email supports

hope this helps

xx yogababy

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast