Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding General Chatter #13

Yup there is! Try googling wonder weeks, it explains it all on the sites

4 weeks today!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    4 weeks today!!!!

Where's the like button? Awesome work Mel and Sahti!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh's Eden View Post
    4 weeks today!!!!
    Well done Arimeh's Eden! Huge accomplishment

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 6 Months OMG OMG we did it

Congrats!

hi All,

Congrats on 6mths triple J

And yay for 4 weeks Arimeh's eden

well after a horribly painful first 6ish weeks on thurs we will have made 4mths! yay!

still having issues with breastfeeding causing "flashbacks" from past stuff (the best I can descibe it without actually saying it). So it makes it difficult at times- anybody have any ideas how to not have this happen? Especially because at times it can be so bad I have to give myself a break and stop feeding her until I can regain my composure. Which I hate doing because it makes me feel incredibly guilty

Also DD has this thing where she has a few sucks comes off on again off again and will crack it until I give her the other boob, what's with that? especially cos the boob I am feeding her on first she hasn't fed on that at the last feed. Does that make sense?

Congrats on making 4 months em!
    Maybe some sort of counselling would help? I think though, you really shouldn't feel bad about looking after yourself. To be a good mummy you have to be in a good place, too, you know? You're still giving her what she needs even if you do have to take a break from it sometimes, so you're not letting her down.

The fussing could be due to frustration about slow letdown. Sometimes they can get mighty impatient, especially at this age when they're so interested in everything else and want to just get on with it.

Congrats Em on 4 months. I experienced flashbacks from my birth (which was traumatic) when i was feeding, especially at night and moreso if my partner was also close to me. It was horrible and sometimes i would have to push DH or DD (or both) away and just take a minute to regroup and be ok to keep going. I think my trigger was having too much skin contact that felt like it was forced on me rather than chosen itms. For awhile i hadto ask DH not to touch me while i was feeding, and also to let me know before he did touch me so i wasn't surprised by the touch.

Don't feel guilty, you are doing an awesome thing by breastfeeding even though you are experiencing this. You need to be able to feel ok about caring and cuddling and being close to bub for the long term, and so if you have to take a break to keep it comfortable for you, then do it because that will be good for both of you.

My DD does the 'nah, i want the other side' thing too. I don't know why but usually just go with the flow thinking maybe she knows better than me. Sometimes it can be the positioning if bub has a sore ear or arm and it hurts for that side to be down.

Madb: thanks, and yeah have just started counseling but of course two sessions haven't done anything to help yet.

HotI: oh my gosh thanks! That explains almost exactly how it's been for me! Although with her birth I was fine but having a homebirth may have helped that. It started after I experienced pain with feeding. Thanks for making me feel somewhat normal though.

Hi, em,

it sounds like you are doing better than you know you are doing - it sounds like you have been through some tough times though. There is always so much to worry about when you have your first baby. It's a lifechange like know other, and the birth, ealry parenting, breastfeeding and a huge life adjustment just get rolled into one. would it help to think of other times in your life when things were tough and you got through it. I remember learing to ride a bike - terrified to go without the training wheels, even with my grandfather holding on. It just seemed so improbable - trying to balance that thing, and I never was co-ordinated.....Not helped because a few weeks I 'bit the dust" on gravel having my front (second tooth) broken in half and the gravel cleaned out of my knees under a general, but surprisingly, I got back ont he bike and kept riding.
    A talk to a counsellor on the helpline I think would help enormously - talk it through, acknowledge the pain, disappointment and stress. It's hard, but you will get there, and over time the good outweights the bad until it just feels normal

Urgh I don't know what I'm doing wrong, she's so fussy! Has fed every hour today (except for a 2 hour break) but she is so fussy, she attaches fine, milk goes everywhere and I can hear her frantically swallowing to keep up, then a few minutes later she starts tugging at my nipple and fusses around hopping on and off all the time and then starts crying. I've been burping her and then trying her back on but she keeps on doing it - am I out of milk after the initial let down or something? If i put her on the other side, the same thing happens? Is it a stage? I'm wondering if she has silent reflux like dd1 did - but ithere isn't any painful screaming

Driving me batty. Not to mention the little devil I have sitting on my shoulder telling me to give up and use formula because at least I am familiar with that.

Help!

Congratulations hun. I have been away and must have missed the big announcement. Another beautiful DD hun - how awesome. How old is she now? It's awesome to see you in here and it sounds like feeding is going really well for you (even if it's a little more often than you would like ).

It sounds like you have plenty of milk hun. It might be that she is feeding so often because there is so much and she's getting lots of watery fore-milk. This will settle down over the next few weeks. What are her nappies like? Have you weighed her? If she is having lots of wet and dirty nappies and putting on lots of weight, there is a good chance it is related to a huge supply. In this case you can either wait for it to settle (it's not doing any harm), or try feeding from one side only for 2 or 3 hours and then switch sides. If you do this, be sure to express from the other side for comfort if you feel full and uncomfortable.

Keep letting us know how you are going hun. You've got a huge cheer squad here!!

Hi manta

She was a month old the other day. She has wet nappy every 2 hours, sometimes blows them out (cloth). She was pooing every change, now it's more like every second change.

Her weight gains have been consistent I think, just weighing her at home. Was back at her birth weight by day 6, a week later she had put on 200g, then a few weeks later she had put on 500g, then she had put on another 200g a week after that. That last weigh in was the other day.

So maybe she is getting too much? Im not engorged any more so don't even feel like I have milk lol

DD was doing that a while back, it might just be a wonder week thing too. And/or forceful letdown? Now she can deal with it but was often spluttering and pulling on and off. DS was actually playing at being mummy with his toy a while ago and said "Come on, have some milk. Oh, you got milk everywhere. Now I need a towel" - so I guess I wasw saying that a lot.

Mad- yeah S sometimes splutters or chokes and pulls off, but then does it again later. Frustrating! And I think my iPhone is sick of getting covered in milk lol

Wow Mel, a month and still going strong. That is so great hun

That is lots of wet and dirty nappies hun and really good weight gains. It does sound like you have plenty of milk. It is really normal not to feel full between feeds and with all those nappies you definitely have milk there! If you are able to go with the flow for a bit, it is likely that she will start going longer between feeds soon. Great work hun - I know how much this means to you.

Hi everyone, thought I'd pop in here and say hi, ill be wanting everyones advice over the coming months I'm sure!!. Hamish is just under a week old and we have been using shields since coming home from hossy. I'm finding it pretty rough going trying to manage feeding DS and DD and lack of sleep all the usual stuff I guess.
    DS just seems to fall asleep on the boob and when I try to take him off he wakes up and wants to go back on. Is this normal??

If anyone has any helpful tips in shield use I'm all ears

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast