Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #5

Thanks guys, the dr seems to think she might not catch me before I go into labour, so hears hoping that if I do go into labour beforehand that it is only a couple of hrs and not the drawn out process that both of you had. I think I will just stick to parents, no siblings etc for the first 24hrs and just take it as it comes.

Love

How long after a c/s can you TTC?

I think it depends on your situation. I was told to wait 12 months due to the nature of my c-section (emergency with tearing in the "angles"?). I have heard that others have been advised only 6 months.

I had a c/s with dd 25/5/02 mainly due to placenta prevaia, "mainly" because all the way through the pg I was told c/s section due to the prevaia but then at about 36 weeks the scan showed "some" movement away from the cervix so the required c/s moved to a c/s. I didn't want to risk it as I didn't like the "some movement away from the cervix" diagnosis.

I have booked in for a second c/s 23/9/06, but am wondering if I should give VBAC a go because I want to TTC #3 straight away. I will be discussing this with my Dr in a couple of weeks, but wanted to hear from others re their opinions and experiences.

Theresa - that's fantastic that you got to watch!

Helen - I wasn't up for visitors straight away, but all of my in laws arrived together I have now learn't from that and will be putting a ban on visiting days, they will not like it, but I don't care. It's all about me next time! Goodluck with it all.

Nic

Sheree - You`ll find all Dr`s/OB`s are different with their opinions about when to TTC after a c/s, just how they all seem to be different when it comes to how many c/s can a woman have.

It ultimately depends on your recovery, how much blood loss you had etc. My own OB advised it was safe to TTC after the first 6 weeks, hence that`s what we did but I was also breastfeeding so it took until Matthew was 5.5 months to conceive, I`m now 30 weeks pregnant and very very rarely have any pain in my c/s scar which is great as I`ve heard a lot of women mention about the pain they get when the uterus is strectching. I`m attempting a VBAC this time round.

Take Care

Dee

Good luck with the vbac Dee. Nic, yes i have problems with my own mother though, tends to get offended easily. I had enough problems with not having her at the birth with DD. But dear sweet DH has said that he doesnt care telling people I need rest as he doesnt care what people think of him. He does it really nicely, but you know what families are like especially when there is a new baby around.

Love

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

how soon after after c/s were you able to b/f your baby ? and if you have a spinal - how long do you have to lie flat ? or epidural - what happens after ?

I don't want them to give babies a bottle or anything that is why I ask - also don't want DH to be left with crying hungry babies if I am in recovery for hrs ?

Trish - I`d recommend for you to tell them you want the babies and DH with you in recovery so you can BF as soon as possible after birth, otherwise you`ll be in the same situation I was with Matthew - he was born at 5.15pm, I got to hold him for 2 minutes before he was whisked off with DH while I was stitched up then taken to recovery until just after 8pm, by the time I got to the ward Matthew was so hungry and crying, DH was frantic as he had no idea what was going on with me, no one had the decent thing to say the spinal worked too well and they were waiting for it to wear off, they could have easily taken DH and Matthew to recovery so I could have at least fed him.

If I do happen to have a c/s this time I`m certainly telling them I want my baby and DH with me in recovery.

When I was taken back to the ward they propped me up a little, not full on sitting up off course but at least I wasn`t lying flat on my back.

I was also put onto pethidene for the first 24 hours, I will not be going onto pethidene again but asking for Panadeine Forte for the pain, I found Pethidene did nothing for the pain except for making me very tired and everything is a bit foggy for those first 24 hours. HTH`

Thank you Helen

It has been a while since I have been in this thread but jsut wanted to share my experiences ... I have had 2 c/s now, 1 emergency and 1 elective.

I found my recovery much easier after the emergency c/s than I did with my elective c/s. With Jack I was up and about with ease on day 2 and only on Panadol for day 2 and then nothing and was home after 7 days.

With Asha I had so much trouble getting out of bed and moving. I was on stonger pain killers for a lot longer. I was in for 7 days and couldn't wait to get home. I was even in pain when I got home this time. I had to buy a foam wedge for my bed so I could sleep comfortably and be able to get up to Asha in the night. In the end I put her to sleep in the rocker next to the bed so I didn't have to go far.

I don't know if had anything to with the fact that I was 6 years older or the fact that all the old scar tissue was cut out (ie mini tummy tuck) or that I had been in labour with Jack for 13 hours before the decision was made for a c/s, that made the difference but I am not keen on having another elective c/s if we do decide to have another baby!

Good luck to all of you having a c/s in the near future.

Cheers

tiggy Guest

Trish,
    Ask the midwife/midwives who are attending your birth for what you want. If you are unable to have your babies with you, if they are in the NICU or are unable to go to recovery, then you can ask the midwives to help you express some colostrom for their first feed. These days alot of hospitals (public) encourage you to BF asap.Where are you birthing again?
    With your spinal, it depends on the kind of block you get. When I had Lily I had to lie still for 6 hours after the caesar but with Ivy and Noah, I was able to sit semi reclined almost immediately afterwards and by the time I got to them in the NICU, I was able to sit upright.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrid
    The hardest part of recovery was having my MIL over to "help". Physically she helped, but emotionally she almost pushed me into severe PND and having her here actually delayed further bonding with bubs. So if it was not for the caesar, I could have held her off for a few weeks longer till I was more emotionally stable.
    Astrid
    Hi there - have been told I may need a c/s if my baby's head doesn't engage next week and my MIL has offered to "help out". Maybe I should refuse then? Its just that my mum doesn't drive and MIL being around after Dh's paternity leave (10 days) might benefit. I know I will cop lectures no matter what though!

Is it true you don't really have to wait 6 weeks to drive? I was told by a couple of people they gave it 3 and was fine after that.

Neeny, I think it was Christy who told us that she was told, the reason they say no driving for 6 weeks is due to a muscle that they cut goes down one of your 'driving' legs.
    Don't quote me on that, but I'm sure she will pop in anyway

Plus someone brought up the point of checking if you will be covered by your car insurer if you have an accident in those first 6 weeks.

Nic

Neeny - my MIL was actually staying with us for the whole time. We were in the middle or renos (still are actually) so she had to stay in our living area. There was no escape from her. Also DD is her first grandchild, so she really had no idea what was expected of her, plus she was trying to satisfy her own grandma needs. Also I am a private person and don't really cope with someone around all the time. Even though she considers me her "daughter", I do not consider her my mother. I am not used to the warm and fuzzy close family thing IYKWIM. So even though I had convinced myself that I would be ok with her help, in reality I wasn't.

So maybe accept the help, but with some ground rules. If I was to do it again, she would not be staying with us, but could come and spend the day. Help with washing, cooking, baby minding so I could shower etc. The last thing you need is to be worrying about someone else's feelings. HTH

Hehehe Nic! It was me. We phone the insurance company and were told that it was 6 weeks for coverage after a c/s and the physio at the hospital when I was in told me that it was because of the abdominal muscle that was cut & it was the one used to move your feet I can't remember her exact words anymore, but she said it could even effect the healing of your muscle if you drive frequently.

Christy - That means my memory isn't failing me like I first thought LOL!!

Nic

Thanks to the advice girls!

Astrid - I couldn't cope with My MIL living with us!

I will check with RACQ about our insurance coverage - had no idea I had to look into this. Will know on Tuesday 30th May if I need c/s or not. Fingers crossed not!

Your help has been appeciated!

Janine.

Hi all,

Just noticed that noone has been on this thread since may so i thought i'd add my 2 cents worth - haha

I had to have an emergency c/s with my 1st - Ella in August, 2005,due to a severe placenta abruption. We were actually both very fortunate, as drs have since told me that 5 mins more and we both wouldn't have made it (i had to have a huge blood transfusion and Ella spent 3 weeks in NICU). As much as i felt we were absolutely blessed to have made it through such a traumatic experience - and both of us recovered so quickly - i have to admit that i do feel totally ripped off from the whole birthing experience.

It must sound crazy but i was actually looking forward to the labour and birth (i had previously attended the birth of my niece and a close fam friend's baby so i did have a bit of an idea what i was gettin into) - so when my little girl came 6 weeks premmie and so seriously (my youngest sister had been delivered stillborn due to the same condition) i had such mixed emotions! Thrilled and relieved that all went well - yet incredibly disappointed!

I do feel like i haven't gone through the whole mothering experience...i know that's stupid, but i didn't get to go through any contractions, waters breaking,etc...there was five mins to figure out that bub had to come out or we wouldn't have made it! I do feel guilty for having such feelings cause my little girl (and myself) are in perfect health and that really is all that matters - but i really do desire a VBAC with my next preg (which hopefully won't be too far away!!!)

Anyway enough of my sob story - Ive read in previous posts that mothers-to-be are afraid that a c/s won't allow them to bond as well with their newborn, well i didn't feel that at all. If anything the experience brought me closer to her. And although my daughter was in the NICU and i didn't get to see her for about 16hrs after she was born, the hosp staff were great and i was able to express. She is still being b/f today!!! Also to those of u who have no choice and need to have an elective c/s with ur bubs don't let anyone give u any crap cause no-one has any idea what u have to go through - it really isn't a simple decision and sometimes undesirable - but ultimately it's most important to have a healthy bub and mum

Well that's my bit - sorry to get on my soap box. Take care everyone

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast