My scar says "I don't really need to be here." And it didn't.
It also says "But you were able to show them I didn't need to be here."

My scar is a reminder of a time when I was uninformed, it also is a reminder that hospital care doesn't always mean the outcome will be best for your and baby. Am I discrediting necessary c/s? Absolutely not. Mine however was not necessary, and was an act of convenience by the drs and midwives whilst I was in their care, and not an act of emergency. Did I fail? Absolutely not. But I was failed by the system. It is also a reminder, that even though we had a rocky beginning I can look at my daughter and love our relationship, regardless of how she was born and the emotional struggles as well as physical that followed it did not break us. We were stronger, and the second time around when faced with new challenges I proved to myself that I was failed. Given the opportunity I would have birthed vaginally quite fine.

I am however deeply proud of my scar, as ironic as that is, as like others have mentioned it is (like my stretch marks) a way for me constantly remember that my tummy smile lead to my firstborn being here, and without that c/s I would not have gone on to learn about birth, the capabilities of the female body and now I hope that one day I will be able to pass on the knowledge to my daughter and daughter in law (if I have one). That birth need not be traumatic and can be an absolutely exceptional experience.

So I am very very grateful for my scar.