I'm not sure of the technical answer to your question Jasp, but I can share my two experiences.
First birth I went into labour (SROM) breech presentation so had a c/s. No issues bonding, felt the love, BF straight away, milk came in on day 3, etc.
Second birth planned elective c/s at 39 weeks. No labour contractions or rupture of membranes. I felt the love and was gushing about how wonderful it is having babies. More so than with my second actually. I kept ringing up DH and telling him how wonderful it all went, what a great support person he was, and telling him that I wanted to have a third (when all through the pregnancy I was adamant that two children was more than ENOUGH!).. after about the third phone call he was like, "yes you told me the first three times you called. I'm glad you're happy but I want to go to sleep now!" lol.
So in my experience, not having labour didn't seem to affect getting the hormonal kick at all.
But I have heard that actually going into labour before your c/s is beneficial for baby. I'm not sure exactly how it benefits, something hormonal I believe, but sure that Inanna or someone else can shed some light. In fact, that's why I did wait until spontaneous labour with my first (that, and because 50% of breech presentations actually turn during labour), but alas it wasn't to be.





Reply With Quote
Bookmarks