Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: $600 per child payment

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

BG,

My turn to ask a couple of questions. Please tell me to bugger of if you've had enough and I'm the straw that broke the camel's back with all this FTB malarky.

Ok, I have already done my tax return through e-tax. I got my refund in 9 days, and it included my tax refund plus my FTB entitlement (I claimed my FTB through the tax system). My questions are:

Did my FTB entitlement that came with my tax refund include my 30% child care rebate?
    Do I get a further $600 per dependent child after my DH does his tax return in August? (I have 100% care of two kids - 2yo and 14yo)

without seeing everything, it's hard to say for sure Sushee - i would think you would have received only FTBB and the $325 supplement for that payment at this stage, if your income was under the income thresholds. if you've received FTBA entitlement, be very wary, as it shouldn't have been paid until your partner does his tax. you won't have received the FTBA supplements at this stage at all (unless you've somehow been listed as single instead of partnered on your tax return and subsequent ftb claim). you should receive a letter of explanation from FAO, and it will say "you've been paid x amount, but you have not been paid y amount as we don't have sufficient information at this stage"

the 30% rebate doesn't get processed until september at the earliest - as the child care providers are given a window of time to get usage statements into FAO and processed.

Hmmm. I definitely said I was partnered in my return, and I assume that the FTB payment was part A and some part B (for the period prior to when I returned to work). This happened last year as well, where I estimated my DH's income for the year by adding a couple of thousand to what was on his group cert, and got paid FTB as part of my tax return. Then when he put in his return in August (he has to wait to see what he got paid in dividends on our managed fund, which is in his name) I got some more money - I think it was the $600 per child.

I assume I got a fair bit back this year because I was returned to work in Jan. Do you think I'll need to pay anything back though? I reckon my estimate of DH's income is pretty spot on. I haven't spent any of the money as yet anyway, so may hang on to it in case I do need to pay some back.

So once DH puts in his return, I should still get the supplement of $600 then after DH does his tax in August? Or not at all? And also the 30% rebate in September? Wow, if that's true, we might just be able to breathe financially this coming year.

yup - i'm not sure what the ATO lump sum claim asks - but if it asks for an estimate of partner income, you'd be paid based on that (no wonder they won't do that anymore after this year - too confusing!) - then when DH does his return, you'll get the difference of what you've been underpaid (if you over estimated his income) and the supplements

IF however, you underestimated his income, you'd not get the full amount of the supplements as they'd use those to correct any over payment

and yes, you do get paid your 30% rebate in september

and even better, in October, they start paying the quarterly 50% rebates for child care!

I don't think I would have underestimated DH's income. The crap share market performance this year likely means he'll get no dividend payments, so I reckon we're going to be right in that regard.

I'm surprised I have more money coming up because I got a fair bit back. I suspect it's because I was unemplyed for the better part of last financial year, so it was a nice surprise. I assumed that because it was rather large, that the FTB component of my return would have included the 30% rebate. But it didn't actually say what the breakdown was so I didn't know for sure. In fact all it says is 'FTB' on my assessment - no explanation, no details.

you'll get a letter from FAO soon hun - and it will tell you what has been paid - well you should! you'll probably find they've paid you what you'd have received in fortnightly installments based on your actual income, and DH's estimate - so supplements won't have been paid at all yet

so, yes, you'll likely get more back

So I think I am as confused as most everyone is. My DH & I get FTB Part A and Part B in fortnightly payments and so what I have read we get $600 and $500 supplements after we both lodge our tax returns as we have had Olivia for the full financial year and I underestimated our income. Is that right?

you'll get 667 ftba supplement and ftbb supplement 324...

Thank you so much BG. You're a legend for helping us all out. A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!

Another confused one here!

Ok DH and I received FTB B and A until I went back to work in Jan 08. At that point I rang ATO and told them I was returning to work but because I work different hours every week and therefore cannot accurately estimate my income, I opted to stop the fortnightly payments and be assessed at the end of financial year.

So now we are doing etax and on both our forms it says that we have already received our entitlements for the financial year? So wondering if I should call again to tell them I haven't received anything since Jan 08 (and pray I'm not on hold for five thousand years like last time!) or should I complete the relevant sections on etax concerning FTB and hopefully they will realise that I haven't been paid since Jan 08?

Hope that makes sense.............has anyone else been in this situation? TIA !

Im so confused! I get ftba and ftbb paid fortnightly and also parenting payment. I also worked as a casual. I dont remember giving a wage estimate though? I report my earnings every fortnight to centrelink. BG I know you've said before that as long as i report every fortnight then it should be fine...But what if i dont remember giving an estimate at the beginning of financial year?

Im sorry BG, this must be doing your head in! You'd deal with it every day as it is...im sure !
    Last edited by Madissun; July 22nd, 2008 at 10:34 AM.

BG, thank you for all of your replies you sure are very patient.

If you don't mind could I ask one question. sorry if it seems really stupid. This being the first time of dealing with FAO. Will I recieve a letter/statement detailing how much of FT-A I have recieved or do I just need to calculate this myself? Part -B I opted to wait till tax time.

TIA Hansie

Sangie - your payment would have been listed as "current, paid at nil rate" from when you returned to work - so you're still listed as receiving payment, but not actually getting anything, to stop overpayments - once FAO receive your taxable income details, they'll calculate what you're entitled to as a daily rate, work out what you were overpaid at start of year, deduct that from what you're entitled to for balance of the year, and pay you a top up, plus supplements (if you're entitled to them).

K - if you're SINGLE and on INCOME SUPPORT (parenting payment/newstart/disability etc) - you're automatically entitled to the maximum rate of FTBA and B - so an income estimate is not required

Hansie, when your payments are reconciled through FAO, you'll get a letter with something along the lines of:

"we have checked your payments agains the information received from ATO and you were entitled to $XXXX.XX. you have already received $YYYY.YY through the year, so the balance owed to you by the government is $ZZZZ.ZZ. this amount includes FTB supplements of $xxx.xx"

for that, it is basically saying we've worked out that you are due to get however much of both FTBA AND FTBB (X), you've already received, in fortnightly installments Y (which, in your case, is your FTBA), and you're going to receive a top up of Z. the total of your supplements (x) is listed - but not broken down

the letter will tell you HOW the payment is delivered (either via ATO or to your bank account number) - and, if you owe moneys for a previous year FTB or CCB debt, or owe taxes, some of this may not be received. if it pays FTB/CCB debts, that will be on the letter - it won't advise if it has paid a tax debt as FAO are unable to see that.

just as an aside, seeing this thread is going ballistic at the moment (and cos someone is bound to ask eventually!)

for anyone that has UNDERESTIMATED their income and has ended up with a debt to FAO - be aware - your TAX RETURN can, and usually is, garnished to pay this - even if it's a previous year debt. this ONLY applies to current or previous year FTB reconcilliation (end of year) debts

Thanks BG! Very much appreciated..............now just to get those etax forms filled out

Thank you so much for all the info BG! The jigsaw pieces are slowly fitting together.

im trying to do my tax online. does anyone know if you have to pay tax on the parenting payment? my centrelink tax summary says that i didnt pay tax on it and now in my estimate, im paying tax on it??

Just been on the phone to the ATO and FAO! OMG they do your head in! I was telling THEM stuff that i've learnt from BG!! Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!

Ok, so i do pay tax on it.

BG Last question from me, i promise! Do i still get the ftba & ftbb $600 and $300 or whatever it is payment that everyones talking about? Even though i receive them both fortnightly and have no reconciliation to do because im on pp?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast