Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The couch to 5 km! Want to join me?

Hi Ladies, I'm thinking of trying this but only at the gym - i only like to exercise in airconditioned shade inside! I'm going to be doing it on the days I don't do classes at the gym - normally I just set a machine for 10 minutes do whatever and then do two other machines. I thought this might be a good challenge. I will try and do it with the incline on (level 4 is meant to replicate real running). I was wondering if anyone had some suggested speeds? I normally powerwalk at 6km-6.5km per hour and when I have tried to jog in the past it's been at 8-8.5km per hour (which DH says isn't jogging it's fast walking!).

Hi Ruth,

It's been a while since I had a gym membership so I'm not sure I'd be too helpful with speeds. I think I used to power walk at about 7.3 km/h, and jog at about 9.5-10 km/h... I think!
    I'd suggest just giving it a go and seeing how you go - for the walk it's meant to be a brisk walk, and the jog/run you are supposed to be able to hold a conversation during it - but I struggle just to make it to the end, let alone talk during it and I don't jog fast. But that's doing it outside, harder than doing it on the treadmill.

I'm yet to do week 1 properly STILL. Am hoping this week will be it, but tomorrow I'm donating blood at 6pm, so that puts Mon and Tues nights out (not meant to exercise for 24 hours), and DH is at the test match in the 2nd half of the week so I'd have to go alone.

I've been progressing well, until this morning when I work up with a painful hip joint - which I've never experienced before. So I'm in a bit of pain when walking. Hopefully I just need to rest for a day or two and then I'll recover. Must be old age

i missed day 3 of the first week and am so bummed... guess i will just have to do it tomorrow... u think it matters that its a bit late?? we went away for the weekend and i was cursing myself that i forgot my ipod and runners. oh well guess i just have to get back into it and not beat myself up that i only did 2 sessions this week.

Well I just did 2.1 today - not so great. Have talked a g/f of mine into doing it with me, but her dog knocked her over in the first (90 sec) run - I was having trouble making the full 90secs for most of the runs to be honest - but only missing out by no more than 10secs .... next run (3.2) is Tuesday!

I've decided to just keep "progressing" the weeks and not worry if I do them properly or not - I know I did 1.3 properly so will work upto 2.3 and see if I do that one properly. WOOHOOO!

Ruthy - just ask one of the PTs that are supposed to hang around at gyms to ensure nobody hurts themselves ... they should tell you the speeds!

kiki Guest

this sounds like heaps of fun, i'm gonna start tomorrow on the beach, how nice will that be?

Hi All, I was meant to do 1.2 today but I didn't make it to the gym this morning : (. I might try doing outside this arvo...

Just for anyone else who might be doing this on a treadmill, I ended up doing 6km for the walk and 8.9km for the run and didn't find it super hard.

I did the first 10 minutes on no incline and the 2nd 10 minutes on 2% incline - gee that was much harder. I loved how the endorphins kicked in around minute 16 - I was flying!

Keep it up Ruth!

Kiki - how'd it go today?

okay i did 1.3 today, so next time i run it will be week two... im actually finding it easier as i go, which is good i guess... the first few running intervals are hard, but then it seems to get easier.

i just made a thai beef salad for dinner too, don't laugh but its the first proper salad i have ever made, so hopefully if i can continue curbing my bad eating habits (loads of pastas and potatoes!!) and do the odd run, maybe i will start to see some changes... hopefully.

i still feel a bit hungry after the salad, but im trying to tell myself its in my head.

okay i started week 2 today, got thru it okay surprisingly... it was harder, but doable... am aiming to do the runs 5 times a week, as with 3 times a week i just dont think i will be ready to progress to the next level after only a few goes... plus its the only exercise i am doing so i need to do a bit more as i want to see results.

i am toying with the idea, if i make it to being able to run 5kms, of entering into a fun run.... but its just an idea at the moment, will have to wait and see how i go as the intensity increases.

anyone ever done a fun run or similar event??

Only thing I've done is the Oxfam 100km walk .. .

oh is that all....?? hehe r u kidding, THATS MASSIVE!!!!!!!

Hey all
    I'd be really keen to start this! I'm just concerned about this brisbane heat at the moment..
    How do you guys keep track of the 60sec/90sec etc?

Regan - there's a podcast to download ... on the first page of this thread.

i wouldn't be able to run if it weren't for the podcasts, makes it so easy!!! and bearable.

You guys are so good! I started this thread and I've only managed to run twice! But next week I'm hoping to take up a free 2 week gym trial, so I'll be able to run on a treadmill in aircon and not let this horrific heat put me off any longer!

i just did 2.2.... am aiming to do it every day of the week, then go up to the next level...

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY KILOJOULES ARE BURNED WHEN JOGGING OR WALKING?

paradise lost Guest

Hello! I can't really join in here, as i already run, but i might start a general exercisey thread for some company, maybe you'll come over and talk there?

Roughly 100 calories a mile are burned when walking/running - it's the distance that makes the difference, not the speed. So if you walk for an hour that's about 4 miles, 400 calories, if you jog for an hour that's about 6 miles, 600 calories. The numbers depend also on how hard you're working, if it's very hard for you to run you'll burn more initially, but will also be moving slower. A heart rate monitor can give a more accurate estimate but 100kcal/mile is a useful guideline in general.

It also depends on how much you weigh as a heavier body takes more effort to move. There's a calculator here which takes your weight and the distance and tells you how much you burned. Contrary to popular belief the heavier you are the faster your metabolism is as the bigger your body the harder your systems have to work to maintain it. Metabolic rate is defined by how many calories your body needs to maintain its current state. The average woman needs about 2000 calories a day and the average man around 2500 (those averages are for people who exercise regularly, so if you never exercise in a way that raises your heartrate you'll need a lot less). I need 2300ish because i'm a pretty active 181cm woman. Your metabolism is always as slow as it can be because that's the best use of energy, so a 100kg more muscular body has a faster metabolism (needs more calories) than a 100kg more fat body, but a 100kg more fat body still has a faster metabolism (needs more calories) than a 60kg body. Lots of people who are overweight think it may be because of a slower metabolic rate, but that is very rare. Most metabolic problems (like hypothyroidism which i myself have) are only associated with moderate weight gain (3-9kg) and it is usually diet and exercise choices which exacerbates those problems. Which for me is great news as it meant i could lose the weight my condition made me put on quite easily once i was medicated and once i'd realised i was going to have to exercise LOL. I really admire all you ladies doing this. I only began running after DD was born and i too did a walk/run 0-5k programme devised by a friend who's a personal trainer. I began in May 2006, in May 2007 i did my first road race, a 10k (67 minutes) and in September 2007 i ran a half marathon (13.1 miles, over 21k! 2 hours 37 minutes) so once you get going you'll be FLYING along!

Bx
    Last edited by paradise lost; January 22nd, 2008 at 12:36 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast