Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duromine - anyone used Duromine tablets to lose weight?

Ninaaa - This is my plan - i also am on the celebrity slim diet BUt i cnt control myself i want to eat eat eat so im getting duromine tomorrow my doc made me do a blood test first so that is what im gonna do take the duromine and have the shakes aswell and maybe try eat soomething else.. but i think it should e ok to do that coz the shakes are giving you nutrition aswell but without all the calories..

Good luck with ya weight loss gals.

M

Posting about duromine in a positive way......

I have taken duromine before and lost weight from it.

Combined with an intense exercise program because I had so much energy (training almost twice a day every day) I went from approx 85Kg to 67Kg with excellent muscle tone, abs, etc.

I liked duromine as a weight loss tool as it gave me the energy to get off my lazy butt and also stopped me from all the snacking that I use to do.

The most important thing that I didnt do and what others said you should do was eat. I use to survive on 2 fish fingers a day or maybe a handful of saltanas. Not really the picture of heath!!

The other side effect that I had to deal with was the feeling of being smashed all the time (it is the same thing as speed so it was like I was clubbing in my head everyday). Driving became a little dangerous so I had to make sure that I would get sleep at night. I ended up taking mersyndol night time tablets to put me to sleep at night or the codral night time tabs. (Not a great way to deal with the side effects but it did work, wouldnt recommend ever doing that again).

I can remember cleaning out tupperware drawers and things like that at 3am in the morning!!! crazy but very productive.

Having said that, I wouldnt hesitate to take it again (obviously when I am not pregnant or breastfeeding). I know that it is not the safest way to lose weight but combining it with a healthy eating plan and using the extra energy you get from it to exercise then it works.

Meegm- your doctor will probably take your bp as well as if you have high bp h wont prescribe it so dont go in there all stressed, etc.

so for those of you who used this and lost lots of weight did your body go the way you wanted it? or did you have the flabby skin?
    there have been comments on the cost... how much is it?

doudou,
    My DH got a prescription a week ago for 30mg (30 tablets) and it was $111.95 from our overpriced chemist. Our PHI refunded us $50.

I just checked Chemist Warehouse, and for the 30mg, they charge $91.99.

Nic

Regarding the cost
    Im taking the 40mg duromine and most chemist charge $125 but i get mine from Chemist warehouse and they are only $95 so there is a fair bit of difference in price...

Default Duromine - positive experience

I was on Duro Dec 07 to Mar 08. In this time I lost 12kg, and have kept it off to date (21/3/09
    As i am still overweight I have just asked the Dr for some more. I took the 1st one yesterday, and didnt sleep much last night,but have not had the heart palpatations, cleaning frenzy or anything like that
    I do know to expect "cotton ball mouth" where u need to drink water ALL the time.
    Will keep you updated

Well this is my first time on duromine and i have taken my second tablet this morning. My mouth is really dry and i am drinking allllll the time. I feel a little light headed sometimes not dizzy but light headed if that makes sense!!!! Woke up this morning about 2am and could not go back to sleep till about 5am, but feel ok this morning. I too will let you all know how i go with this. I have had no other side effect but its only my second day on it. My appetite yesterday seemed to be the same as normal, but this morning for breakfast i had to force myself to eat some cereal and i only ate about a quarter of what i would normally. I would LOVE to lose atleast 10kg!!! Heres hoping
    Anyway good luck every one and i will keep you posted.

Nikki

Default Duro

I know all about the dry mouth. It's like a cotton ball is in your mouth sucking out all the fluid.
    I haven't got it as bad this time, I didn't sleep to good the first night, but last night I slept pretty well.
    I remember last time getting cranky, but then i was not happy in my relationship, but now that that is over, I will hopefully not be as cranky.

I lost 27kgs on these as well as excercise and diet... i

used them as a kick start (1st 3 weeks) and kept gorgetting them after that... stuck to my excercise and within 3 months had lost the 27kgs. I kept it off till i fell preggas... (about 12 months) if i had of stuck to the excercise and good eating who knows where i could be today

I take Duromine at the moment, but not for weight loss. When i first got these it was for weight loss, but i stopped taking them as they made me a little 'aggressive' with everyone. Like really snappy. BUT, they made me GO... i just got so much done!!!

In feb this year when we had to move so quickly, i found the packet of duromine in a cupboard and decided to use it to get through that period while i was moving. They worked and did a fantasic job in getting me going.... BUT the side affect i had/am having is a life saver!

I suffer with Psoriasis. It is VERY bad, basically all over me. Have tried many different treatment's none of which have done anything.

Within 2 week's of taking Duromine, it was in remission.

After a few week;s of taking them and once we had moved, i saw a dr and asked her if it was the duromine that was doing this to my Psoriasis. She said it couldnt be and it must be something else.

So as i test i stopped, for 2 week's and yep.. it slowly started building back up. I have now been back on them since the weekend and instantly the plaque's are falling off and staying away.

I dont know why as a side affect Duromine is doing this... but i intend on trying to find out, but in the mean time i dont care - it is the first time in 3 years i have had any relief and didnt have to use some form of steroid cream!!!!!!!!

Oh and they dont affect me the way they did last time, as in im not aggressive so... i dunno what that was about!
    So, anyway... apart from that side affect... i dont have any issue's with them.

Smile odd one out

Hi,

I am probably the odd one out here - I took Duramine for 3 months and over the course of 6 months went from 81kg to 49kg now (I'm only 5"3 high). I couldn't be happier. I have kept the weight off for 2 months now and seen a dietician who has congratulated me on safe, successful weight loss which he saw as just within the timeframe he would have recommended (ie, 6 - 9 months). I remain 49kg and have found that dieting for half a year has got me in a rhythm of eating sensibly. I have found something else strange - I now crave healthy food like hot porrige with prunes, cinnamon and bananna - YUM!

I did have some insomnia but found i would fall back asleep after 1/2 hr of waking. I felt energetic but not high or anything - a bit like when you have had a couple of mugs of coffee. Other than that, i found that i kept an appetite and ate at regular meal times but, that after eating i felt completely full and did not even think of food for hours. I found that empowering and saw good results on the scales. I don't think i noticed any change to mood except i wanted to keep active - it made me enjoy being on the move.

I would suggest Duramine to anyone I was fond of because it takes much of the frustration out of dieting. Cravings and feeling that hunger ache are the hardest part and this med removes it. To anyone checked out by a doc, frankly I couldn't recommend Duramine highly enough. I believe there is some misinformation circulating about these meds ("speed" tush tush) and I am dissapointed for lasses out there who struggle with frustration and don't need to.....

I ask one question - is cancer, hypertension and diabetes better?

Smile odd one out

Hi,

I am probably the odd one out here - I took Duramine for 3 months and over the course of 6 months went from 81kg to 49kg now (I'm only 5"3 high) with dieting (protein focused) and 50 mins of vigorous exercise daily. I couldn't be happier. I have kept the weight off for 2 months now and seen a dietician who has congratulated me on safe, successful weight loss which he saw as just within the timeframe he would have recommended (ie, 6 - 9 months). I remain 49kg and have found that dieting for half a year has got me in a rhythm of eating sensibly. I really enjoyed purchasing a new wardrobe and other girls could have this too. I have also found something unexpected - I now crave healthy food like hot porrige with prunes, cinnamon and bananna - YUM!

I did have some insomnia but found i would fall back asleep after 1/2 hr of waking. I felt energetic but not high or anything - a bit like when you have had a couple of mugs of coffee. I honestly can only assume that some people are exagerrating or that my experience is different because the energetic, driven feeling from Duramine is really quite mild. "Speed" is a bad chemical because it is produced in unregulated settings. Stimulants per se are not necessarily bad for you if they are produced and monitored properly - anti depressants are stimulants. I found that i kept an appetite and ate at regular meal times but, that after eating i felt completely full and did not even think of food for hours. I did find that I had to remind myself to eat but as I am not silly, i made sure i did. I found that empowering and saw good results on the scales. I don't think i noticed any change to mood except i wanted to keep active - it made me enjoy being on the move and perhaps mildly more happy. I had no trouble finishing use.

I would suggest Duramine if I wanted to do a person a favour because it takes much of the frustration out of dieting. Cravings and feeling that hunger ache are the hardest part and this med removes it. To anyone checked out by a doc, frankly I couldn't recommend it enough. I believe there is some misinformation circulating about these meds ("speed" tush tush) and I am dissapointed for larger girls out there who struggle with frustrating weight battles and don't really need to but may be put off by the sensationalism. GPs will generally prescribe this med if someone overweight is having trouble controlling appetite and hunger and is failing with diet. There is no embarassment to asking, a lot of GPs will probably recommend it b4 you ask.

I ask one question - is cancer, hypertension and diabetes due to being overweight better?
    Last edited by oddoneout; September 14th, 2009 at 06:17 PM.

Hi, I have just started duromine this morning. I have put on 10 kilos since I had a total thyroidectomy in january and I am now a good 35-40 kilo's overweight and a size 20. My Dr has prescribed the lowest dose of 15mg just to help me with sticking to a healthy eating plan. So far I don't seem to have any side effects. In fact I still feel a bit tired this morning (I'm always tired, I'm a fulltime working mum of a 2 year old). So I'm hoping to just use this as a tool to help me with changing my lifestyle. Is anyone else here still taking it? And how are you going?

Wink You've Started a Rewarding Journey!

Hi there,

Glad to hear you are getting proactive - you can do it! 15mg is the lowest dose, i think i was on 30mg so the effect on your appetite would be weaker but nonetheless I expect you are feeling something? Problems with the thyroid are tough - it totally effects our metabolism.

30 - 40kg sounds like a lot to loose but I found that the 31kg I lost in 5 months wasn't that bad when i look back and my registered dietician is totally happy with the time span i lost it within, the Duramine and particularly the 3 months i have kept every kilo of the weight off. But, you need to be committed. One of the first things i would do is go to Ebay or visit op shops and find yourself a second hand treadmill / exercise bike / 2kg bar bells, or something. Place it in front of the TV and walk briskly (or do similar) for 30mins or over each day. You need to be sweating heavily by finish and be in need of a shower. I still do this exercise now and i am at the bottom of my weight range (2kg from bottom of range). If the medication is doing its job and you are put off from eating much food then you will see the weight drop away and your stomach will shrink, making it hard to overeat ever again. I don't care what anyone says, i had some weeks where I lost 2.5kg of fat (and it wasn't water because it was mid-diet), but most weeks were more like 1kg - 1.5kg. I now have muscular thighs and arms and have kept the weight off since June (still 50.5kg now [little over 5" 4 high], size 8). I look like an FBI girl. After a month or so your little exercise routine will be habit like washing your teeth and yes it can be done with bub - I have a 4yr old hypo boy who i mostly look after by myself! Put on The Lion King and sit bub on a mat in front of you. When you see the scales shift, that's the greatest motivation you can get to press fwrd. You won't want to eat the wrong things because of the investment you made exercising which you know you will be throwing away.

Good luck, be strong. I don't have super human strength so if i can do it then so can you. Picking up tiny, petite clothes and knowing they will fit you is the BEST feeling in the world. All i have wanted to do since i lost the weight is buy clothes. My new size is like the most fun new hobby i've had and it's no 5 minute wonder - i'll never get bored of fitting clothes to a tiny new body and neither will you! Make working on it a habbit while you loose yourself in TV and it's easier than you think! Email me direct and I will send you some dated before and after photos! )
    Last edited by oddoneout; September 30th, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Thankyou for your well wishes Oddoneout. You have done so well yourself!

I'm happy to stick with the lowest dosage as I want to avoid any of the nasty side effects. Did you get any?
    I'm taking the duromine in conjunction with counting my calorie intake on calorieking.com.au. I just needed something to help curb my appetite to get me going. I am also weary of making sure I DO eat enough as I do not want to put my body into starvation mode. I hope to get to the point like you where i will stop the duro all together and do the rest with just diet and exercise. Although I know the hardest part will be keeping the weight off! they say you haven't won the war until you've maintained your weightloss for 2 years. That will be the toughest challenge for me!

Smile Its easier to maintain the loss than you may think

Hi,

That all sounds positive. I do agree with what you are saying about 'the starvation mode' - although i'm not sure medics subscribe to the theory as such, more the role of hunger hormones Leptin, Grelin and the storage hormone Insulin. I find this subject very interesting and if I am correct, i believe you want to eat enough to get keep Grelin production at bay, which is produced when calories drop too low and it drives you to eat. However, there seems to be a branch of this idea which is based on distorted evolutionary principles and says that it is a survival advantage for us to store energy as fat and therefore when we have lost weight, if we eat so much as a lettuse leaf it is inevitable that our body will claw back every calorie and we will gain all our weight and some back. This is simply not true. According to Scott Osborne, registered dietician in Nerang, Gold Coast, this is not at all true (in fact he pointed out the survival advantage of being lean enough to run quickly to catch our food / flee preditors). In truth, he told me that the reason most people put weight back on after loosing it is because they go straight back to eating as they did before their diet. He has worked as a dietician for years and said he sees people put the weight back on all the time then he asks them what they are eating and they tell him - it either includes pizza and chocolate or simply too much of what they are eating (obviously too many banannas will make you gain weight).

I've been following the diet plan he mapped out for me now since around June. I actually wasn't eating enough - 50g of porrige for breakfast - he told me to fill the bowl. I now do this and have hoverred within a kilo of my goal weight for months. There is no logial reason why if i haven't put the weight back on in 2 - 3 months why i ever will and the same will be for you. I feel it's important for you to investigate that because it can be demotivating if you believe that your weight will "probably" come back, as some people told me. Believe me it is not true - i am sometimes eating a big, healthy breakfast (porrige and then toast!!!) and with regular exercise, my weight is long-term stable. The key thing is that you have to shelve those 'bad' foods and eating habits. He said cut fast foods like pizza to say 2 pieces every 3 weeks maximum If at all. I don't touch it. He also suggested, contrary to the advice, (which yes is given by some reputable medics) to eat little meals often. What he said was he finds it often does not work because people under estimate the calories in these little meals. He believed it is better to have 3 significant meals a day, make them hearty and then leave the kitchen alone! I find this works for me. Plus I have cut the thing that made me gain weight in the first place - i am now a teatotaler.

With committment to change, it is inevitable you will keep the weight off when you reach your goal! Happy journey )
    Last edited by oddoneout; October 2nd, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Default sorry, forgot to answer you

Sorry Mara i forgot to answer you about symptoms. Yes, there was sleeplessness. I did get insomnia. The higher the dose, the more of it - it's because of the stimulant effect -the same as if you had about 3 good strong coffees. But frankly, it was well worth it and even when i couldn't sleep i thought that. I also got a dry mouth lol.

Smile Your successful experiences with Duromine...

Hey All!
    Just starting a thread wanting to know all your GOOD experiences and success with Duromine. As well as being on this medication in the past I have thoroughly researched all the side effects and ups and downs and am aware of all the pros and cons. TO ALL READING THIS - Duromine is prescription only weight loss medication specifically for overweight/obese patients and should only be taken under the supervision of you GP as it can cause serious side effects. That being said PLEASE only contribute to this thread to tell of your successful experiences! Thx!

SO what GOOD experiences have you had with Duromine?

What results did you achieve?

What did your diet entail?

What was your exercise regimen?

I personally am a 22 year single mum of one very destructive toddler! lol I have struggled with my weight since I was 17. I am 165cm tall and my current weight is 105kg this making my BMI 39 (Obese) My goal weight is 60kg.

I was taking duromine about 3 years ago and lost 10kg in a month but then stopped taking it as I found out I was pregnant! So put it all back on plus some! 116kg at the end of my pregnancy!

My doctor has prescribed me Duromine which I have just started taking today and I'm excited for some good results! I took my first tablet at 6am, I didn't feel any effects until about 8am... I then started to feel energized. Only side effect so far is dry mouth. Have done 30mins n treadmill at 6km/hr, 10mins low intensity aerobic step, 10 mins of strength resistance on my total gym and am about to go for another 30 min walk.

Started feeling a bit tired around 3pm. Not really feeling hungry... I have so far today had 2 glasses of v8 vegetable juice, 95g tin of tuna in olive oil (oil drained), 6 rice crackers and 3 litres of water.

Weigh in will be Sunday so I'll let you know how I go!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast