Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #1

teachmum, I was the same -could have a muffin at lunch time but toast for breakfast was too much. I started on B 2,L 2, D 2 and 4 units at night. By the end I was up to B 42, L 16, D 32 and 34 overnight.
    There are a couple of icecreams that are low GI or no added sugar, and I found milo was good if I wanted something a bit yum.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsD72 View Post
    thought I'd update this thread too
    I am now booked in for a c section on 6th September....mixed emotions about this after my push for a VBAC but its the GD that has brought it on - my BSL just aren't stable enough
    oh well
    I am wanting a VBAC too. My sugar glucose was high so tomorrow doing the 2nd test. I have a bad feeling......

Caz

I just thought I would share my experience with you ladies.. I have had GD with all 4 of my pregnancies but on insulin for the last 3..

This last pregnancy was going as expected. BSL were up and down but doing what they expected. I had my usual ring in appointment on the Friday ( they ring me every Fri for my levels) anyways I was so excited cus my levels had dropped to a normal level. I had a 4.8 when I wke that morning and was so pleased to tell them that instead of giving them my usual 6;5 morning reading

the educator said no thats not good... you need to ring the head MW and talk to her. I said why. She said when your levels become good like that for no reason it can be a sign the placenta is not functioning as it should. Anyways fast forward to an hour later and I was on the phone being organized for a scan and Dr visit. We had to drive just over an hour to the hosp I was delivering at..

We got there Us showed one healthy baby.. Dr was still not happy though. I was told to come back the following morning. Sat morning I was given a steroid shot and admitted to hosp ( I was 35w 6d) Admitted due to the GD and the steroid shot was going to make my BSl go haywire which they did. I was getting reading of 15 and 16.. My BSL were tested hourly overnight *yawn* and I was given a 2nd steroid shot.. Sunday they kept me in as well.. I was on an insulin drip delivering a constant insulin hit

Monday Dr was happy and said to go home that afternoon after I have had a couple good readings and come back Wednesday for an antenatal. That afternoon I was downstairs saying good bye to my family when I ran into the Dr and he asked what my after lunch levels were. they were 5.5 .. He said right you are having a baby tomorrow and promptly went upstairs to organize my c,s for the monday ( I had already had a scheduled C.s for the 10th Dec.

So what happened was I was lucky enough to had GD as it was the only way they were able to tell there was a problem with the placenta. Tuesday the 20th Nov we had a very healthy baby girl. We were warned she might be ver sick but she was so healthy.. Her BSL was 1.1 when born. They tested her twice cus it was so low but after a feed of breast milk which I had expressed before I had her ( another tip there if you can express before baby is born, Bm is better for getting the sugar levels up) She was good within the hour

so what i told my little story for was if you think itd great your BSL readings go great all of a sudden for no reason it might not be so great so ring your Diabetes Dr or OB. It was something I didn't know about and I am very glad my Diabetes educator was on the ball otherwise our story might have had a very different outcome..
    Last edited by aussienic; December 13th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.

jenh30 Guest

hi everyone

I have just been diagnosed with GD at 23 weeks, the doctors wanted to test early as I had it in my previous pregnancy. I've been feeling quite down about it all. Since my last pregnancy I've lost over 30 kgs( GD last time gave me a scare about the future) I'd been eating very healthy and doing a lot of exercise. I'd also managed to only put on a kilo since the beginning of this pregnancy. I was so surprised when it came back positive that i cried all the way home from the hospital. I had my first meeting with the educator on tuesday, she seems really nice and supportive, which is good because last time i only had GD for two weeks and that was 4 years ago. I was wondering at what levels the doctors decide to put you on insulin? I've been doing the diet for a few days and my morning levels have ranged from 5.8 through to 6.5. After meals it is usually about 7. Is this too high? I'd like to avoid insulin for now if i can but as i said im only 23 weeks so i know it gets worse later. I hope everyone else is coping ok with it all. I keep reminding myself that there are worse things than this to happen and its been found early but i still feel down about it.

I did my second test so may know the results as early as this arvo - if its bad news.

My arm kills from having 3 needles!

I guess the worst part would be to give up chocolate if I do have GD!

Jenh30 - Your morning levels are too high, but your after meals ones are o.k. The numbers that I had to aim for were <5.5 morning and <7.5 two hours after meals. Different hospitals seem to have slightly different levels, but prepare yourself for the possibility of having a night time dose. GD is a massive downer, I found it hard to enjoy the end of my pregnancy when every day became a crazy eat,test routine and a struggle to find things to eat that were nice but didn't send my BSL over.

Caz - Did you get your result?

I just wanted to say this post has been fantastic you girls are great!!

I have so far been able to control BSL with diet (it's been 4weeks I think) I did get a few unexplained highish readings when I had to take antibiotics for 5 days but as soon as I finished the course they we're great! I've been getting an average of 4.2 in the mornings and 5.5 through the day, some of my night readings are bit eratic but still within the limits, I think it's because I'm still testing 4 times a day and If I have a late dinner I have to wait atleast 2hrs before I can have supper so I tend to smash in something extra for after dinner like yogurt, low fat icecream etc...
    I had a scan last week 33weeks and baby is 2.4kgs so far phew! I have to say though I have really struggled at times to find food I WANT rather than food i know I have to have and your suggestions have really helped me! I am going to try a muffin see what it does I haven't had one for ages and I'm dying for some kind of cake i've found a really nice low fat icecream from Aldi sooo creamy. I also started making some iceblocks to munch on with half water half juice and they seem to be fine for me.

Keep up the suggestions guys it helps me stay on track because you come up with something I haven't thought of and then I actually want food again
    Ohh yeah there is one good thing since I found out about the GD is that I've lost 2kgs and so far I've put on a total of 10kgs this pgcy instead of the usual 16kgs and excess to loose afterwards gotta look at the positives huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Artechim View Post
    Jenh30 - Your morning levels are too high, but your after meals ones are o.k. The numbers that I had to aim for were <5.5 morning and <7.5 two hours after meals. Different hospitals seem to have slightly different levels, but prepare yourself for the possibility of having a night time dose. GD is a massive downer, I found it hard to enjoy the end of my pregnancy when every day became a crazy eat,test routine and a struggle to find things to eat that were nice but didn't send my BSL over.

Caz - Did you get your result?
    Yep - I have it!!!!! Im going back to hospital on xmas eve and seeing a dietician and diabetes co-ordinator and have to get that glucose monitor! I can't believe it.!

Just wondering what kind of exercises all of you with GD are doing. Its bloomin hot in Brisbane. We have a pool, so will try and do more 'laps'. I never was a big exerciser pre pregnancy, so this is gonna be hard.

A stupid question. Is is possible I have GD cos I love sweet things (chocolate, lollies etc).

LOL Caz I love my sweet things too although I'm wondering now if it was a cycle of high's and lows and my body thinking it needing that sugar high. I'll now seriously watch the way I eat even after bubby is born and I'll never eat white bread again
    I'm only doing extra walking for excersise especially with christmas shopping yikes I'm exhausted I also have stairs at home so I've been walking up and down them a few extra times but I'm getting to the end now so it's taking twice as much energy to do things.. bla. Swiming would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by joralyd View Post
    LOL Caz I love my sweet things too although I'm wondering now if it was a cycle of high's and lows and my body thinking it needing that sugar high. I'll now seriously watch the way I eat even after bubby is born and I'll never eat white bread again
    I'm only doing extra walking for excersise especially with christmas shopping yikes I'm exhausted I also have stairs at home so I've been walking up and down them a few extra times but I'm getting to the end now so it's taking twice as much energy to do things.. bla. Swiming would be fantastic.
    Ye I walk alot after work - to the station, then off the bus home - so all up 30-40 mins anyway's. I am too out of breathe to do much also. I find swimming isn't as hard. So what kind of bread can you eat now?

Can I ask how long did it take to go if it went at all with those who gave birth? I'm taking my kit in to the hospy with me and I'm sure the nurses keep and eye on things but I'm curious as to how it goes.

Caz I've been eating a few different kinds cause I get sooo sick of the same thing I've tried the Burgen pumkin sead bread it's really nice and very nutty, I also have a wholemeal bread and a sour dough loaf which is really yummy even as a snack.

joralyd, the GD is supposed to go away as soon as the placenta is delivered. The lady in the bed next to me had normal readings straight away but I was still getting higher results for a couple of days. During labor the nurses will take your BSL every hour. After bub is here they will take it two hours after meals until you get 2 or 3 good results in a row. They will also test bub at birth and three hours after feeds until they return 2 or 3 normal results.

Caz, bummer. Right over Christmas too!

I didn't really do much exercise, although I should have. I tried to get out to walk my dog for about 30 minutes every night but it only happened 3-4 times a week. If I ate something that was a bit naughty I went for a walk afterwards so that my 2 hour reading wasn't high.

Hi All,

I have just been diagnosed with GD...not even sure where to start!!! bought a monitor thing today and have to wait for an appt with the dietician and counselor at the hospital...

Fun...am now off to do some reading!!!

Cheers
    Lisa

Well what a bummer this is for us all - being Xmas and all.!!

Oh well.. at least I will learn to eat abit more healthier!

Caz

Yeah Caz it's such a bummer but one good thing has come from it for me, I haven't put on much weight and feel pretty good and active so it should help with the post baby body recovery YAY!!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast