Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recipies for cooking placenta *click if you dare*

That is fascinating!!!! Thank you. I am not planning on creating any of the delicacies but it is amazing what can be done. I do like the idea of the placenta print but DH said noooooooo

I posted this in another thread but thought I would pop it here for anyone that was interested.

Personally.......not for me. When I first heard about 'eating the placenta' I was like OMG ewwww ewwwww yuck, but a bit of research over time has shown me the nutritional value, but still not for me. It is becasue I don't think I could do it, I hate cooking meat!! LOL. If someone else would make the Placenta Pills for me then if I needed I would have them!!

Placenta Pills Recipe
    Ingredients:
    One fresh/defrosted human placenta
    Ginger slices
    Half a lemon
    One red chilli (hot pepper)
    Empty vegetable based capsules
    First wash the blood away from the placenta and place in a steamer. Cut up the other fresh ingredients and place on the top.

Next steam over a low heat with the other fresh ingredients for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.

***** with a fork to be sure that no blood or fluid comes out to check if it is done. The placenta will shrink during this process.

Slice the placenta as thinly as possible and place on a baking tray.

Dry in a low-temp oven or use a dehydrator. Then powder or just break it up and put it into the empty capsules.

Store in a dark container at room temperature.

TCM Principles
    Properties
    Flavour is sweet and salty. Nature is warm and moist.

Functions
    Augments Qi (energy) and Xue (blood) and therefore tonifies Yang, Yin and Jing (vital essence). Placenta is often included in traditional medicinal combinations with restorative functions. Mainly used after childbirth but also can be used after high stress or an extremely draining experience.

Benefits
    By augmenting the production of Qi (vital energy) and Xue (blood) this allows for increased energy, increased breastmilk and less risk of Xue Xu (blood deficiency) which can cause depression. It can be used preventively. In combination with other herbs placentas have been used to treat infertility and cancer. When consumed directly after childbirth it helps to contract the uterus.

Jodie259 Guest

Is there ONE person on BB who would consider actually cooking & eating the placenta???

With the thousands of members this forum has... I would have thought someone would do it?

would it be ok to plant in a large pot??? id love to bury the next ones placenta but not in the garden just in case we ever move, id love to take teh plant with us

Hmmmm..... I don't think I could do it (eat it that is)... I'm a bit squimish... I might bury it, though we are only renting, so I'd also like to know about planting it in a pot....

Also, if you have animals (we have cats) ... well I think you know where I'm going... you'd have to wrap it or bury it in something to stop them digging it up wouldn't you?

This is such an interesting thread, thanks Chloe for starting it. I have heard before about placenta recipes, we had a huge discussion in the staffroom once about it! I couldn't eat it cause i don't like liver or kidneys but if you liked them i could imagine you might be able to eat it. I can remember as a kid, my uncles cows eating theirs so obviously animals recognise the benefits.

Hmmm, yeah. Not for me either. I had a look at mine, but I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to touch it... It is only since I got married that I've been able to bring myself to touch and cut up chicken breasts!
    Did anyone else have a bit of a laugh over the placenta prints?!? OMG! All I can think about is doing potato prints as a kid How would you get a good grip on the placenta to use it as a stamp? LOL!!!

I'm probably going to eat ours

Wow, are you usually adventurous with eating different sorts of foods, or are you thinking about the possible benifits? how would you prepare it?

hmmm . i would probaly take placenta if it were de hydrated in to capsules . or a smoothie .. ( i am serious ) !!

as for eating it like a peice of steak , im not sure i could treat it like "anyother meal " it would have to be a special time or ceremony for me to do that ....

but I like the idea of lotus births ...and am considering it for number 2 ....

i love the idea of burying it
    Last edited by *charmalea*; November 15th, 2007 at 08:51 AM.

It is a great thread - so interesting! I personally find the idea of eating it abit stomach churning but planting it sounds a nice idea although again, i don't think i would be able to bring it home from hossy and deal with it myself! If someone could do it for me!

Julie x

He He He - I am glad I am vegetarian because I can use that as an excuse!!
    But you know it really is just a cultural thing as to what kind of meat is disgusting or acceptable to cook.
    The planting thing is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by rosehannah View Post
    Wow, are you usually adventurous with eating different sorts of foods, or are you thinking about the possible benifits? how would you prepare it?
    I've eaten things that would make a "normal" person go "what tha" (giraffe, zebra, wildebeast, impala, warthog to name a few from when I was in Africa - venison, goat and a lot of game meats are a regular part of our diet her in Oz).

I'd only cook a small proportion of it, I'd dry the rest and turn it into capsules.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Schaz IM with you on the game meats hehe, ive had croc, ostrich, camel and buffalo!! Yum
    I cant say id EAT my placenta, i think id maybe *just* handle the capsules..if i didnt think about it. I may have a bite of it if worse came to worse...but sitting down to it at dinner doesnt appeal to me.
    But it is interesting to know about this sort of thing. But shh, dont tell my DP, he would be horrified

I would be comfortable dehydrating my placenta and ingesting the resulting capsules, I'd also be comfortable with eating a small piece raw, immediately following birth (to prevent post-partum bleeding), but I don't think I could stomach making it into an actual recipe.

Then again, my placenta is still in my freezer. Maybe one day if I run out of mince ....

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that is just wrong:ms:. Each to their own though.

What an interesting thread! Thanks for starting it! Its always interesting to learn of different cultures! I probably would try it if someone else prepared it (I am one of these strange ones who likes liver and kidneys, not of the human kind of course!!) I do like the idea of burying it, but I didnt even get to see it let alone keep it. I will be asking to see next time definately!
    Would also like to know if there is any paperwork needed before burying it?
    Omg imagine if your dog dug it up Maybe the pot would be the way to go!

Hmm dont think i could bring myself to eat it and unfortunately if i buried it my two dogs would probably eat it before the tree would have a chance but then again that might be a good thing for them!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast