Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding after 12 months

Lindah amybe start temping & Opking, well OPK after you have a cycle kinda...? See after a few weeks or so if/when your actually ovulating (as you can whilst still BFeeding)..
    Maybe that can help you pinpoint o & then getting that BFP...

Indah now only feeds once vefore bed & only if she wants me in the morning... Usually she does but if she see's her cup she wants that!

Yeah, I guess I could do that. I have never tried OPK before. Is it just like a HPT & tells you when you O?

bree is 20 months and going strong
    so cute, she used to ask for 'dook' (drink) - now she runs up and says ' other side b o o b y ' LOL.
    i stopped feeding jade at 13 months - mostly due to it being 'advertised' in all the parenting mags/info the general public gets that if you get to 1 year, good on you and you've done your job kinda thing i also followed all the solids feeding advice for weaning at 1 year)...

Joh - it's funny because I always thought that 12 months was just the time that you wean. Now I'm here I can't understand why it is so 'normal' to wean at 12 months. There is just no need?

yeah.
    researching has educated me, the benefits to b'feeding just dont stop at 12 months!
    it just seems that everyone wants to advocate to parents that you should have a life outside of being a parent, or making parenting as easy as possible for yourself, so stopping b'feeding is one of the ways you can not be 'tied down' to an older baby - which is all absolute bollocks

Yep - even the chicken pox immunisation. It has been going around lately, & I was a bit worried, but my MCHN said not to worry too much because we are bf. & that got me thinking - why don't they encourage you more to keep feeding when there are such important benifits!!

Not to mention that for us it is a sure fire way to settle Em no matter what.

OMG, not only am O feeding past 12 mths, I am feeding & preg again, I am just blowing my own mind!!! hee hee

I am stoked to being growing a new baby & feeding my little princess too!

It's so awesome hey Linda!!!

Yay Tracey!! What an acheivement!!!! Good on you!!!

Trace you are a legend!

Jo

Hi!
    Well, I haven't made the 12 month mark yet, but my DS is 9 months old and a complete boobie boy so I don't see the b/f stopping any time soon and I am content to continue well past the 12 month mark. I had to laugh when I read the post about a child twisting and turning and climbing while feeding as my son does that sometimes already - though usually when he is overstimulated and having trouble settling down. I'm pleased to still be feeding as I had lots of problems in the beginning. I was in hospital for 5 days after the birth (primarily because I ended up with a c-section after 28 hours of labour but that is a whole different story) but I nearly stayed an extra day to sort out feeding problems. I had several midwives attend to me and the nearest we could figure out was that my DS had sucked his tongue in utero and was thus lifting his tongue when latching on instead of putting it down. So I had cracked bleeding nipples and LOTS of pain but we soldiered on and it became a wonderful experience within a few weeks. I love to see James latch on now and watch his eyes literally roll back in his head when the let-down comes and he gets the milk!
    Now, I have a question for all of you who have b/fed longer than I have. James just got his top teeth earlier in the month, and though he isn't consciously biting me (thank goodness) I noticed after the feed I just gave him for his nap, that I had tooth marks above each of my nipples when he finished feeding. Is that something I will have to endure or is there a way to stop that from happening? I don't think he is biting down but the indents are just happening from the suction maybe? IYKWIM Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated and I look forward to continuing to be a part of this thread as my son and I enjoy our b/feeding experience!

Heidi - I've noticed the occasional teeth marks too, but it hasn't actually hurt. I guess just the pressure. But it doesn't happen much. I guess if it doesn't hurt then don't worry too much. Good on you BTW!!

I have not noticed teeth marks myself, but then again I have not really bothered looking.

Maggie now has a habit of pinching me and trying to drag the nipple to her rather then moving herself to the breast Ouch!! I would really like to cut back on feeds, but I am not sure how to start, she is such a boobie baby.

Astrid - James pinches me when he is feeding sometimes as well - he either pinches my boobies or my tummy but most of the time it doesn't hurt so I let him do it - especially if it helps him settle. And yes, he also grabs my boobie and pulls it to him rather than going to the boobie himself!! It is nice at night because he can get the boobie himself without me waking up (though I'm a light sleeper and wake when he moves anyway).

Maggie is actually pinching my nipple when I carry her around, not when feeding. She just loves to play with the boobies, poke them, jiggle them and blow raspberries on them

Tehya likes to help herself to booby too. I was in bed with her the other night. As I am every damn night. Anyway, she grabs me by my top, pulls me towards her, pulling open my top and goes Booby !! obviouslty she wanted a feeed

Fire Fly Guest

Im at the 12 month mark with DS next month and he is still feeding every 3/4 hours. Its a bit draining atm because im pg now but i dont intend on weaning him. Dont think he intends on giving it up atm either.

I fed DD for 2 years but i dont see DS going that long. Ill be happy to make it to 12 months. Id like him to wean before the bub comes actually cause i dont know how id go feeding two.

I say to Jacob now when its time for a feed "do you want boo boo" It just started one day and now if he is cracking over something you can hear him crying boo boo boo boo and I feed him and he is happy then..

I fed Jacob at a family bbq the other night and I got some funny looks but I decided I don't care anymore I haven't actually fed in public as such since that attachment parenting segment was on 60 minutes as I felt to uncomfortable but now I think if Jacob wants it then I need to give it to him and not worry what others think

lol. bree comes up to me (usually crying) saying 'other side b o o b y , mummy' too cute and funny!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast