Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: IVF with PGD #6

Best of luck Molisa! My thoughts are with you

Molisa - Good news on the egg numbers, 6 is fine. I was on 600 puregon the last 2 cycles due to hopeless ovaries (high FSH, borderline low AMH). I think your FS wouldn't have increased the dose half-way through the cycle because from my understanding, the follicle numbers are pretty set by the starting dose of FSH used; increasing the dose half-way through stimming may only recruit a few more follicles or none... happy to be corrected on this though! So next cycle (Fx this won't be necessary of course!!!!!) they would usually start you on a higher dose - I would be pushing for this. I was a control freak all the way through my cycles; I think the PGD nurses were ready to strangle me by my last cycle!! (and I don't blame them!!)
    I am praying for your embies and hope that all 4 will be chromosomally normal!!!! Let us know how you go!!! Thinking of you tomorrow - here's for a great transfer!!!

I had a brief discussion with my FS after EPU. I asked him if it is because of my age (33,s**t!). He said some women are born like that. That is what really upsets me. Why he is so ecrtain I am one of them given we have only tried once???

BTW, hummmm...he is really hot.....

LOL....... Im glad my FS is a woman. I could never have a hot bloke down my business end! Im fearing the day my OB asked for a look

That is too funny Molisa! All good thoughts your way...wait is almost over! My doctor increased my meds the second time and I still had the same follicle numbers...she said they probably wouldn't change...some women just plateau at a number.

Foxy - G/B twins, not girls?! That's even more exciting now!

Mia's Mum, nurses keep saying quality is as important as quantity. One of PGD nurses told me she has been doing PGD for 9 years and she saw many women with great number of follicles have very few embryos survive to day 5. I know she was trying to comfort me. What I can see is your egg quality is very good. I just feel very surprised that out of your 6 miscarriages and 10 (? correct me if I am wrong) embryos from your 2 IVF cycles, none of them is normal. I have mathematical/statistical background myself, such sample size should be able to at least provide a few normal ones if they follow the theoretical distribution (1 in 3 or 4 ? it seems your chromosome abnormality is similar to my DH's).

AFM-they did biopsy on 2 embryos this afternoon, results will come out tomorrow morning. Number 3 is not ready to be tested today and number 4 stopped growing this afternoon. still have to wait nervously, which is the worst thing in the world.

So true Molisa.... quantity is not good if the quality isnt there. My first cycle i had 13 eggs and by day 5 had no viable embryos. 2nd cycle 15 eggs and only 3 alive on day 6. Then 3rd cycle 17 eggs and a very successful quality cycle.... im not sure if it was changes i made in my life for that cycle or if it was just my time.

The mathematical odds is tricky also...... I could not wrap my head around the fact that cycle 2, 3 embies biopsied and a perfect split in results.. 1 affected, 1 carrier and 1 unaffected. And then to get to cycle 3 and have 7 biopsied and all unaffected. It blows your mind........ The scientist explained to me after i accused him of testing wrong that each embie has its own set of odds, we cant see them as a whole unit. So yes a miracle occurred to me but not in the eyes of science

I just want to wish you and your little embies the best of luck for tomoz! I will be praying and anxiously awaiting news that you have had your transfer! xoxo

well, all three are affected....the result is not out of expectation, but it still hurts...

I"m so sorry Molisa.... It's not fair and you are in my thoughts!

So sorry to hear that Molisa. That totally sucks. I wish it had been better news. I hope you have people around you who can support you in this tough time. We are thinking of you.

I'm so sorry Molisa. My heart is breaking for you. Xoxo

Hugs Molisa.

But also it's a positive sign that you were able to get 3 testable embryos at day 5.

Hi Ladies

I need your advice. My FS phoned this afternoon and he recommended we start another cycle with different protocol. Before we started this cycle, we contacted the sperm bank and we can start the process any time soon using donor's sperm. My DH doesn't want me to go through another round of painful PGD journey and he wants us to stop here. What I can see from this thread is nobody got succeed in the first cycle. It is a trial-and-error process for my FS and he said it is too early for him. I know it is our decision, but I really want to hear your advices. Your support and company has made this process so much easier.

Wow that a tough one molisa. I didnt realise the problem was with hubby's gene.

I remember Foxy going thru the same decision making process before trying her last cycle, then giving her own eggs one last chance... and look what happened.

I honestly would go at least one more cycle before using a SD. It really is trial and error.

So if you do use a SD will it be ivf or insemination? And do you know someone who can donate, from what i hear the wait for donor sperm is quite long. Unless you have your own.

I don't think that you should make such an important decision in the immediate aftermath of a PGD cycle that was so close and yet so far. And while the hormones and synarel and so on are still mucking with you physically and emotionally.
    You now know how bad PGD can be - you've experienced the whole roller coaster.

Repeat cycles are likely to be a bit better in the sense that you've seen it all before and you will be prepared. You now know that you are likely to get a few testable embryos per cycle - so it is a matter of maths before you get one or more that are implantable, and then more maths before one sticks.

I'm not trying to brag here, but I had almost identical numbers initially (5 fertilized eggs, 2 that survived the test), but both my embys were unaffected, and one is now running around like a mad thing. It's just a roll of the dice - and only you know whether you are prepared to do it again.

I also think it may be hard for your DH since he is the source of the nasty gene, and so to speak he is "making" you go through this. So he may be feeling very guilty (in a strange way) about the whole thing at present. I think that it was easier for me because it was my nasty gene, and I knew exactly why I was doing this.

Big, big hugs.

We contacted the sperm bank back to our birth country as soon as we found out DH has chromosome abnormality last year. We will need to see a FS there to figure out the process...

Kmn, thanks. I will take time and think about it. I might be the most pessimistic people in the world and never think I can hit a genetic lottery.

KMN makes a good point about fast decision making..... It makes me remember one thing and im not sure if you are all the same.... but i found my mind and mental situation improved immensely after getting my period back after a cycle. Things somehow seemed 'clearer'.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast